LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: "Super Merry" decklist??  (Read 1833 times)

May 20, 2021, 09:51:35 AM
Read 1833 times

sheriffharry

• Information Offline
  • Orc
"Super Merry" decklist??
« on: May 20, 2021, 09:51:35 AM »

I remember playing against a "Super Merry" deck that made Merry ultra powerful (10+ Strength) using Merry, From O'er the Brandywine, a sword, Ent Draught and a couple of other shenanigans to boost him (was there ever a card that gives hobbit +1 for each Ent or something of the like??)

Maybe someone here has more ideas on how that work, or, even better, a decklist?

Thanks!

May 26, 2021, 05:06:58 PM
Reply #1

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: "Super Merry" decklist??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 05:06:58 PM »
Everyone Knows is the card you are looking for. There are way too many versions to lists. In general such decks have a decentish power level, but tend to be very vulnerable, so I would not call them competitive.

A version I liked used Skinbark, Fladrif with a Dauntless Hunter list and Bilbo, Bearer of things Burgled with The Red Book of Westmarch and all the usual stuff. I don't have a list, but you can probably dig around the forums to come up with one. Probably there are more straightforward builds, but for an oldtimer like myself, who played a gazillion of games vs mono [Shire] (and won 99% of them, mostly in expanded though I might add...) appeared more well rounded and a bit refreshing.

May 26, 2021, 08:06:54 PM
Reply #2

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:06:54 PM »
I don't have a specific decklist, but I can suggest a few key cards:
Everyone Knows to make unwounded Merry and Pippin strength +8 with Escape or Ent Draught (or I guess +12 with both)
Pippin, Friend to Frodo to protect Everyone Knows
If you really want to have sword + Escape + Ent Draught, Shadowplay (exerting Frodo or Pippin) to exhaust Grima
I tend to prefer Rohirrim Squire with Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom, especially with all the Corsair Marauder and Ulaire Cantea, Faster than Winds going around. Friend to Sam appears attractive but once you exert him twice you lose the strength boost before he gives it to another companion.

There is Long Slow Wrath which can make Merry and Pippin monsters, but if you're playing that card then fighting Merry really isn't going to be the star of the show. Throw in Great Elf Warrior, A Talent for Not Being Seen, There and Back Again, The Tale of the Great Ring, all the fun Hobbit stuff, and maybe you'll have a shot. A 15 strength Hobbit sounds a lot stronger than it is for Movie block though, in my opinion. Not weak by any means, but the choke combined with Narrow Escape is going to be the real power of the deck instead of your Hobbits' strength.

What's nice about Shelobplayer's suggestion is you can gain and lose initiative multiple times in a skirmish phase by playing NFFatROD and drawing back up to 4 with Red Book of Westmarch to fully heal your fellowship with A Light in His Mind + Shire Countryside (plus Birthday Present to take it back every turn), but then you might be better off using Friend to Sam after all to take advantage of the excess healing.

May 29, 2021, 03:47:37 AM
Reply #3

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 03:47:37 AM »
What's nice about Shelobplayer's suggestion is you can gain and lose initiative multiple times in a skirmish phase by playing NFFatROD and drawing back up to 4 with Red Book of Westmarch to fully heal your fellowship with A Light in His Mind + Shire Countryside (plus Birthday Present to take it back every turn), but then you might be better off using Friend to Sam after all to take advantage of the excess healing.

I actually played a version like that with Manager of Wizards and SFTF to set it up (burned Sam, Son of Hamfast), and cut Everyone Knows after the initial few games. It's a fun list and definitely can win games, but not on a real competitive level. I even posted my list (here: https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=6557.0).

Probably not the most efficient way of building it, it's a list from 10 years ago.