LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Under New Management  (Read 2477 times)

July 30, 2021, 12:10:33 AM
Read 2477 times

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Under New Management
« on: July 30, 2021, 12:10:33 AM »
This website has managed to stay up against all odds nearly uninterrupted from the days that Decipher was still around all the way until now.  It's been more than a decade.  On the internet, that's downright ancient. 

The credit for this can be lain entirely at Kralik's feet.  He has kept the fires going and managed to ensure that there was always a place for people to find their way back to this great game. It is truly well-named, the Last Homely House.  If it had not stood, I am certain this fandom would have faded into obscurity long ago.

It's been a long time to bear such a burden alone, and so some of us are going to step up to bear it for him, so that Kralik might turn his full attention to other aspects of his life as needed.  The Player's Council will be running lotrtcgwiki.com moving forward, splitting the costs and organizing any maintenance required.

For the near-term, this means no changes from how the site runs now: the server will be transferred wholesale, and it will be some time before we will have it ready to migrate to the same servers that host lotrtcgpc.net.  At that time there's several things we'd like to take a look at, including releasing a new revamped wiki, connecting Gemp users to TLHH users, and establishing regular robust public archives of site backups.

Just as we have done while running Gemp, we will have a light touch regarding existing moderation structure, and in general we expect things to keep on keepin' on just as they have for more than twelve years.  Most importantly, the position of this site as an archive of past activity will remain intact, and both CC and TLHH will be preserved as they currently are for as long as the members of the PC have resources to keep it that way.

If you're wondering who we on the Player's Council are, for the most part we're a mix of old and new guard here at TLHH itself.  Our ranks include the following:

teltura, Jerba, menace64, MarcinS, CoS, dmaz, Tbiesty, Finarfin, Dictionary, Hobbiton Lad, and several more.  Many of these names will be familiar to veterans of TLHH, so know that we are no strangers, and are proud to help preserve our ancient home.

You can read more about our goals and (brief) history here.  (If any of these developments excite you, feel free to join us, and help us build up this community!)

Kralik, our thanks and praise go out to you.  It cannot be understated how important your role has been as the lifeblood of this community.  This isn't goodbye, but we hope you can have a long and happy retirement, and promise that this site will always be here whenever you find yourself turning our way.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 08:17:17 AM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

July 30, 2021, 07:33:56 AM
Reply #1

Kralik

Re: Under New Management
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 07:33:56 AM »
Thank you, Teltura! It's no secret that from around 2008-2011 I was very active in the LotR community and in the decade that followed much less so. It's always been a goal for me to keep the game alive "indefinitely," but due to time and real life constraints, I wasn't able to give this website the attention it needed. I've been dealing with some personal/health issues recently and reached out to Teltura to see if he and the PC team would be willing to take over management. He agreed! You shouldn't notice any significant changes to the site as it should be able to be transferred directly as a package. I plan on becoming a plain ol' forum member. I might even play on Gemp every once-in-a-while. :)

July 30, 2021, 11:29:38 PM
Reply #2

petejohnwilson

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:29:38 PM »
Thank you so much for your years of service Kralik. I don't really think words can properly express how instrumental you and this forum have been in preventing this treasured game from fading into history.

Thanks to the Player's Council for taking the reigns and cheers to a long healthy future.

August 02, 2021, 07:00:31 PM
Reply #3

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 07:00:31 PM »
Much gratitude to you all

Still the best card game out there

August 03, 2021, 07:22:56 AM
Reply #4

Kralik

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 07:22:56 AM »
I'd like to apologize to everyone for the downtime. There was a misunderstanding with our hosting provider during the transfer process that led to the site being temporarily suspended followed by over a day of silence on their end. #-o

August 10, 2021, 02:55:31 PM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 02:55:31 PM »
All the best to you Kralik. Thanks so much for everything you have done for the site and the community along the way!
-wtk