LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Aragorn signet DH choke for PC-playtest movie  (Read 1769 times)

January 26, 2022, 06:46:49 PM
Read 1769 times

Cease

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Aragorn signet DH choke for PC-playtest movie
« on: January 26, 2022, 06:46:49 PM »
Fair warning: this deck is for the PC-playtest movie format on GEMP. If you're not familiar with the format, it has a bunch of errata to nerf (and allow) some of the banned cards, some errata in playtest to clip the wings of some of the highest-power cards, and also has the playtest versions of the Shadows of the Past fan set (VSet1).

For more info on the changes:

This is also my freeps only, because I'm still fooling with a good shadow. I'm open to suggestions.

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
Ring: The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Adventure deck:
Sleeping Quarters
King's Tent
Hall of the Kings
Osgiliath Fallen
City Gates
Minas Tirith Third Circle
Osgiliath Channel
Morgulduin
Dagorlad

Free Peoples Draw Deck (33 cards):
1x Merry, From O'er the Brandywine
1x Pippin, Friend to Frodo
1x Legolas, Dauntless Hunter (errataed but the errata is irrelevant in Movie)

4x Aragorn, Wingfoot

2x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
3x Tom Bombadil, The Master

2x Hobbit Sword
1x Sting (errata version only reveals four cards at a time)

1x Vilya
1x Gilraen's Memorial from vset 1

4x One Whom Men Would Follow

1x No Stranger to the Shadows (errata makes it unique)
2x A Talent for Not Being Seen (errata turns it into No Stranger to the Shadows but played on Merry or Pippin, basically buffed)
2x Escape
4x Everyone Knows
1x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel! (errataed to account for the skirmish-cancel rule change, buffing it in movie)
1x The Tale of the Great Ring
1x There and Back Again

Always bid 2 so you can play Tom Bombadil. This chokes like mad, cancels skirmishes, and sends unwanted skirmishers or archery wounds to The Tom Zone with One Whom Men Would Follow. It really just genuinely sucks to play against and I hope the PC reconsiders their buff(!) to A Talent For Not Being Seen! It doesn't care about condition removal very much since Pippin protects all that, but doesn't especially appreciate possession removal. Dauntless Hunter is nice, but the real lynchpin card is Aragorn (and you'll want to mulligan for Aragorn unless you have a strong hand with both an ally and multiple hobbit strength boosters.) By the end of the site path, Merry should be about 10-12 strength (and often more) and Frodo should be around 8-10, which should be enough to get over the finish line with the help of Wingfoot pickoffs. There and Back Again and The Tale of the Great Ring help stave off a great deal of nonsense, and Vilya with Legolas, Dauntless Hunter is extremely annoying against a variety of shadows. Sting helps with the choke somewhat, as well.

This can shed companions if you really gotta do it. The order of priority is Pippin < DH < Aragorn ~= Merry. Merry's more useful with more of his strength kit out, and Aragorn's necessary to play One Whom Men Would Follow or double-move ever.

I've tried a few variations on this. This was originally carrottalk's deck, where he ran it with King in Exile. I liked the healing, but it had a problem with not being able to double as safely. Wingfoot helps. carrottalk also ran Athelas, which I liked and would like to try again, but it's hard to find room. Boromir's Gauntlets are an option on Aragorn. You Have My Sword, a new condition from Vset1, is an option to help get Frodo or Merry over the line and would help with the swarm matchup. You can try Pippin, of Tuckborough, another new vset1 card, but this deck will then just implode when Saruman's Power or Too Long Have These Peasants Stood or The Pale Blade hit the table. You could also include Aragorn's toys (probably Ranger Sword and Aragorn's Bow rather than Flame of the West) or Legolas's toys (Long-Knives of Legolas or The White Arrows of Lorien probably, but you double in the face of weak minions often enough that Legolas' Sword is an option). I've thought about The Council of Elrond to help set up more reliably, but it's deck bloat and conflicts with the choke. Narrow Escape is an option, but it feels anemic without four hobbits and space is again an issue. Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs and Merry's Dagger are options, or you could just switch to three copies of Hobbit Sword for deck consistency. Seeing Stone of Orthanc is another option to help with doubles, although I'd need to find a threat outlet.

You can also use this as a shell. I've considered trying Boromir. Boromir, Son of Denethor or the new Boromir, Redeemed are options, especially with the nerfed and unbanned version of Horn of Boromir, but Boromir has less vitality and would need his toys more than Aragorn does. Gandalf might be an option, particularly for Out of the High Airs, although it is nerfed in this format and the rest of his kit is twilight-intensive. I've seen Smeagol, Always Helps (using Don't Look At Them, Don't Follow the Lights, and Not Listening) and Galadriel, Lady Redeemed variants, but I don't know a lot about them. A non-ranger can't use One Whom Men Would Follow, but Tom Bombadil's skirmish-cancelling is still strong, and Support of the Last Homely House is an option to use Elrond as a weaker alternative in the same role.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 11:39:00 AM by Cease »

February 09, 2022, 03:09:28 PM
Reply #1

Cease

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Aragorn signet DH choke for PC-playtest movie
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 03:09:28 PM »
I saw Star-glass used to great effect with this deck, and I might try it out. I haven't tried it myself yet, though.

Here's my current version, with a enduring gul shadow I'm not 100% enamored with, but it does cycle decently well.

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
Ring: The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry

Adventure deck:
Sleeping Quarters
King's Tent
Hall of the Kings
City of the Dead
Pelennor Flat
Minas Tirith Third Circle
Osgiliath Crossing
Morgulduin
Slag Mounds

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Legolas, Dauntless Hunter
1x Merry, From O'er the Brandywine
1x Pippin, Friend to Frodo

4x Aragorn, Wingfoot

2x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
4x Tom Bombadil, The Master

2x Hobbit Sword
1x Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs

1x Vilya
1x Gilraen's Memorial

4x One Whom Men Would Follow

1x No Stranger to the Shadows
2x A Talent for Not Being Seen
2x Escape
4x Everyone Knows
1x The Tale of the Great Ring
1x There and Back Again

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Gollum, Stinker
3x Morgul Creeper
1x Ulaire Cantea, Faster Than Winds
2x Ulaire Cantea, Thrall of the One
1x Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
3x Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One
2x Ulaire Nelya, Thrall of the One
2x Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
2x Ulaire Otsea, Thrall of the One

1x Ithil Stone
2x Ring of Rancor

3x Captured by the Ring
3x Between Nazgul and Prey
3x Bent on Discovery
4x Gates of the Dead City

The Shadow isn't amazing, and there's a lot of decks it just bounces straight off. Direct wounding, anything that uses Greenleaf and keeps him healed, anything that uses Faramir, Son of Denethor. It does catch decks that have skimped on burden protection with their pants down, and snipes out a bunch of popular but vulnerable support characters like Sindri and Aegnor. (And sometimes I can even catch Greenleaf on a good day.) Mainly I appreciate that it cycles well in everything but the Dauntless Hunter mirror. I'm not sure what good cycling shadows there are in PC-playtest movie, though, if any.

Nertea MODG is kind of a failed experiment, but I haven't found a good replacement for him yet. Lemenya, TOTO or Ulaire Nertea, Thrall of the One? Otsea, LOM? The new Ringwraith in Twilight? None of them are that appealing, and I guess Nertea MODG is okay for a late-site rally.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 08:14:08 PM by Cease »

February 10, 2022, 07:18:50 AM
Reply #2

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 07:18:50 AM »
Maybe Morgul Skulker to recur would help, or even Evil-Smelling Fens. The freeps looks annoyingly solid, though. Will have to find a way to break it…
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

February 15, 2022, 11:02:49 PM
Reply #3

Cease

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 11:02:49 PM »
Maybe Morgul Skulker to recur would help, or even Evil-Smelling Fens. The freeps looks annoyingly solid, though. Will have to find a way to break it…

If I were still running TOTO corruption with this deck, I'd definitely try ESF. (I think Morgul Skulker is probably too slow for how fast the freeps like to run.)

However, I've retired the Nazgul for this one, in favor of Southron archers with boats.

Shadow Draw Deck:
2x Corsair Boatswain
2x Desert Lord
1x Elite Archer
2x Haradrim Marksman
2x Mumak Chieftain
4x Southron Archer
4x Southron Bowman
1x Southron Leader
2x Southron Marksmen
1x Southron Veterans

2x Mumak
2x Ships of Great Draught

2x Discovered

1x Field of the Fallen
2x Rallying Call
2x Seasoned Leader
1x Under Foot

This is exactly the sort of Shadow I was looking for. This can randomly donk out people who take a risky 1-3 and always turns any amount of twilight into pressure. Ships of Great Draught means it never clogs, even if I just refuse to play Shadow cards on my turn because I have figured out that their hand is jammed up. Southron Leader and Southron Veterans are so good for punishing really greedy Freeps, and even in the GLR or Derufin matchups I can recycle the boat with another boat to always have an option to dump Shadow cards out of my hand.

February 16, 2022, 05:58:46 AM
Reply #4

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 05:58:46 AM »
Why the lone Elite Archer? Why not run another Mumak Chieftain and have another strong minion to beat down with? I have played Ships Southrons before, but I usually had a bigger deck and ran 4 chieftain and 3 elite archer.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

February 17, 2022, 10:00:24 PM
Reply #5

Cease

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 10:00:24 PM »
Why the lone Elite Archer? Why not run another Mumak Chieftain and have another strong minion to beat down with? I have played Ships Southrons before, but I usually had a bigger deck and ran 4 chieftain and 3 elite archer.

Space. Mumak Chieftain's kind of a dead draw if it comes before I can get a Mumak in discard, and the Freeps runs hard all the time. I did end up cutting the Boatswains and made some other minor adjustments though, including another Elite Archer. I still end up throwing the Elite Archers in the boat more often than not, though.

2x Desert Lord
2x Elite Archer
2x Haradrim Marksman
2x Mumak Chieftain
4x Southron Archer
4x Southron Bowman
1x Southron Leader
2x Southron Marksmen
1x Southron Veterans

2x Mumak
3x Ships of Great Draught

2x Discovered

1x Field of the Fallen
1x Ithilien Wilderness
2x Rallying Call
2x Seasoned Leader

If I were going to play this in a less lopsided Freeps, I'd run more Seasoned Leader, another Mumak Chieftain or two and their mounts, and maybe some stuff like War Towers, High Vantage, and a second copy of Ithilien Wilderness to have the Mumak Chieftain - Seasoned Leader - (stack of threats) - Field of the Fallen - replay Ithilien Wilderness combo go off more often. But it's mostly a gimmick, since it still gets clowned on by Lady of Ithilien and Cirdan unless they're exhausted (at which point I don't need some cockamamie overwhelm combo).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 10:07:08 PM by Cease »