LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Trying to build a couple of balanced decks from my collection  (Read 873 times)

February 10, 2022, 03:13:32 PM
Read 873 times

thewitchhunter

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Trying to build a couple of balanced decks from my collection
« on: February 10, 2022, 03:13:32 PM »
Hi there,

have been a LotR player from back when the game was released and have collected the cards until the game was discontinued, but haven't played a single game for at least 15 years now. With all the rumors and coverage about the upcoming Amazon show The Rings of Power in fall this year a spark has been reignited to fiddle around with my LotR TCG cards again. What I was thinking about was to throw together a couple of fun, unique and balanced decks from my paper collection. As I have collected from the beginning I have basicly a complete collection, which means at least 1 copy of each card from 1-19, with play sets from many if not most of them, especially the Movie block era.

So my goal would be to put together maybe 4-8 Movie block decks, for the old times sake. They should be designed to be played against each other and should overall be balanced towards each other as far as possible. Also it would be nice to cover as many of the available cultures as possible.

Any suggestions what may be the best way to set up such a pod of decks? Thanks in advance  [Gandalf]

February 16, 2022, 02:28:43 AM
Reply #1

chefonk

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Re: Trying to build a couple of balanced decks from my collection
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 02:28:43 AM »
I was in similar position, but I already had a couple of decks from back then. So, what I would do is to list all deck types for free people and shadow and see what fit the best or what you like the most. From the top of my head that would be:

Elves and Men
Rainbow Gandalf Trust me as you once did
Rohan Beatdown Merry%u2019s Sword
Rohan Gandalf Theoden
Gondor Ringbound Ranger
Gondor Knights
Dauntless Hunter
Boromir Merry Shire Countryside
Rainbow Wounding Eowyn+Legolas+Gimli
Elven Events
Hobbit Sam Frodo A Promise
Dwarves
Wraiths
Aragorn Culture Token
Ents Hobbits
Gondor Noble Leaders

Moria Swarm
Moria Archer
Uruk Beatdown
Uruk Tracker
Uruk Site Control
Uruk Archer
Isengart Orcs Wounding/Swarm
Nazgul Classic Blade Tip/Black Breath
Nazgul Threat
Nazgul Twilight Corruption
Nazgul Enduring
Morgul Orcs + Nazgul
Morgul Orcs Archery
Sauron Besieger
Sauron Wounding Orc Bowmen/Hate
Sauron Uruks
Dunland
Easterling 2-Burden
Corsairs
Southron Archery
Gollum Shelob Ninja Wounding

Not sure how familiar you are with the terms but I would be glad to give some context to the examples I made here.
I played in many tournaments back than and have a little bit of understanding what was played but maybe over the time some tactics or decks have changed. But for just a few balanced decks I hope I can help :)

BTW I just had a look at your trading list and saw a bunch of German cards. Are you from Germany by any chance? Because I am :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 02:31:57 AM by chefonk »

February 28, 2022, 02:37:25 PM
Reply #2

thewitchhunter

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Re: Trying to build a couple of balanced decks from my collection
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 02:37:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I'm familiar with most of the deck types, but didn't play any LotR TCG in so many years and especially didn't do any deckbuilding in these years.

The main challenge seems to be to get the best mix of decks out of the cards I have. To know, where to use the staples from each culture and what are good combinations of free people and shadow. Like, do I use Moria swarm together with Dwarves to cycle like crazy or are there better choices. Guess, I'll just have to throw together a couple of decks and try them against each other...

But the list is helpful, thanks. And btw: Yes, I'm from Germany, although I don't have many german cards at all except those few on my trading list. Collecting mainly english cards except some international promos and stuff like that.