LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Ugluk and Tracker/Hunter  (Read 1823 times)

June 26, 2022, 12:18:29 AM
Read 1823 times

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Ugluk and Tracker/Hunter
« on: June 26, 2022, 12:18:29 AM »
OK hate to admit it but it has been a long time posting in here, I doubt if anybody missed me, but that is OK anyway.

In the earlier sets there was the keyword Tracker(S) and of course in the latter sets the key word Hunter(S) I never really got into cards with the Tracker Keyword much at all, to be honest not even sure if trackers are special in any ways shape or form. I do allot with the Hunter cards I love my Free people's Hunters and as of late I love my Minion Hunters as well.

Because I came late to the game on trying to get certain cards for my deck some cards have become outrageous in price one such card is Ugluk Ugly Fellow, most people are asking $180.00 and it goes on up from there WOW. The other version is Ugluk Servant of Saruman Category One Games had that one at $2.99 but is out of stock. As far as Stats go they are the same 9,3,5 The Hunter version gives you the automatic + 3 strength against a non hunter, the earlier version you must spot 2 trackers to get the +3. There is a slightly cool game text on the hunter version that whoever is fighting him must exert first but in my opinion certainly not 180.00 + cool.

I would love to get other people's perspective on this guy the old version against the new version. I always say there is usually away around things especially in this case when you are dealing with a super high price tag. Would I love to have the new Hunter version ... yes for sure to complete my minion Hunter deck with this race, but again not going to fork out the high price tag just to do it. Sorry I took so long to say what I did in explaining it all, but please chime in if you have any opinions at all with that particular guy Ugluk?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 12:21:28 AM by Larry5000 »

June 26, 2022, 05:48:14 AM
Reply #1

Orophoin

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Re: Ugluk and Tracker/Hunter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 05:48:14 AM »
I've missed you, Larry!

This is a very fair question. Put simply, I think the value of a card is determined by the general rules of supply and demand:

For demand: the more people who want the card, the more they will have to pay for it to stop someone else getting it. To my mind there are two main types of people who buy cards: players and collectors. A player will typically want to complete their decks, so will want the stronger cards (and four of some cards they need). A collector may be less interested in having duplicates, but may instead value things like foils over playability.

And then there's supply: if a card is very rare, there will be fewer of them in circulation, so again more competition over the card, driving up the price. Decipher did not print all cards in equal amounts. In particular, there were very few cards printed in the Hunters Block (and Siege of Gondor to a lesser extent). As a result it is less common to see these cards being sold, so when they are, they fetch a higher price.

And finally, on to your question. In terms of demand, the Hunters Ugluk will slightly outdo the Towers Ugluk. Both are great in their respective decks, but more people will play expanded than Towers block (set 4 Ugluk is not seen outside of that block, and even then, trackers aren't as popular as hunters are in expanded). However, the real difference in price is due to demand. As a rare card from Hunters, Ugly Fellow is by a long way less available than Servant of Saruman. This compounds with the fact that if you're buying him for your deck, you'll probably want four, taking even more of them out of the market.

$180 is a huge price. That must be foil as well, but if that's what some people will pay for it, then I guess that's its value. Seems like a lot for a piece of cardboard to me, though.

June 26, 2022, 12:32:59 PM
Reply #2

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 12:32:59 PM »
Why thank you Orophoin, missed you as well. I use to ask a lot of questions before, some others may have gotten tired of answering, I will have to try and do better this time, if possible.

I think you are correct on all you are saying especially on supply and demand. to reiterate my saying there are always away around things and my main focus with this particular card was a perfect example of why anyone would want to spend 180 + dollars for one card when it's counterpart will basically do the same thing for way way cheaper.

I wanted to see if people felt the same way and come up with thoughts or ideas to make this one work close to the expensive one. Stats are same 9,3,5 sure you have to have another tracker out there to get the + 3 strength instead of getting it automatically from Hunter against a non hunter but again not really a big deal. The cool little game text on the Hunter Ugluk where whoever fights him must exert first; I was trying to find a card that could attach to him that basically would make some someone have to do that, but not sure that card exists.

Anyway there will always be some give or take I guess when getting around something, but if it saves you major dollars hey why not go for it. Still like to hear other opinions or perspectives concerning this card or maybe other similar situations with two other cards that share similarities. Yep to fill up my minion hunter deck for this race I would love to have the real deal, but it does not look like that is going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 12:35:49 PM by Larry5000 »

July 12, 2022, 07:50:20 AM
Reply #3

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 07:50:20 AM »
Despite the newer Ugluk being good, it's so expensive mostly because of how rare he is in terms of availability.

I wouldn't put him in a Hunter deck, I would just find other Hunter replacements. He fits better in an old style trackers deck, which uses the unloaded "Tracker" keyword in various cards to gain advantages.

July 12, 2022, 09:02:22 AM
Reply #4

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 09:02:22 AM »
Imo Movie Block is the only collectible format at this point. All Hunters + cards are too expensive.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.