LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Getting beaten.  (Read 2653 times)

July 16, 2022, 12:30:20 PM
Read 2653 times

Crainiac (The set 20 project)

• Information Offline
  • Orc
  • My favorite film is LOTR ROTK
Getting beaten.
« on: July 16, 2022, 12:30:20 PM »
I have been struggling with winning games on GEMP. I have built countless decks but I keep getting beaten by other players. A player named Sentinell gave me some help on choosing cards but I'm still struggling. Can anyone help me? The cultures I've been playing with are  [Wraith] and  [Elven]. I keep giving my opponents too much twilight to work with and then I lose my companions especially when the player has a  [Moria] deck they always use the Goblin Runner card which adds  [2] and then they use the Host Of Thousands, Goblin Scavengers, Goblin Armories, Goblin Scimitars, Cave Trolls, and Balrogs. I don't know how to combat the players op strats and decks.
The age of man is over, The time of the orc has come...

July 16, 2022, 12:59:55 PM
Reply #1

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Getting beaten.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 12:59:55 PM »
I'm no expert, but I think ways to counter [Moria] in an [Elven] deck are Secret Sentinels (to take out Goblin Armory, Plundered Armories, Relics of Moria, Goblin Swarms and sometimes Depths of Moria and Dark Places); Dismay Our Enemies (against strong minions; this one isn't really useful most of the time, but can be every once in a while); Double Shot; Rumil, Elven Protector; Elven Bow; and Greenleaf (all of the last four are just to destroy their swarming capability).
If you're giving them too much twilight you could try NSttS (assuming you have an Arwen that isn't Lady Undomiel), and Lady of Light. Bill the Pony is also a useful splash, but you're probably going to need at least 3 giving he's maybe gone at site 4 and definitely by 5. If you have Merry, Sam, Pippin, or any Hobbit ally, you could also consider DiTM (note that this one only works if you can already see the site on the adventure path.)
Against SotBP (and definitely Durin's Bane) your best bet is probably Hobbit Stealth's and Hobbit Intuition's, and Lorien Elf's as fodder past the Bridge. Filibert Bolger is also a great counter to both of the Balrogs, the Cave Troll, Lurtz, non-twilight Nazgul...

I don't know what you're specifically struggling against on the Shadow side, but with the fierce Nazgul I've found Blade Tip's and Black Breath's are good against a lot of decks, but can often be useless if they have any condition discard, Athelas, etc... The Nazgul pumps can be very useful (Frozen by Fear, Threshold of Shadow, All Veils Removed, and Swarthy Sneering Fellow is basically a pump too, just don't use him at the Bridge). If you're running the twilight ones obviously include stuff like IWtbF and maybe HTS. Decks using Lord of the Nazgul and Ulaire Enquea, RiT can often get great use out of Dark Whispers, and for them you might consider Blade Tip to combo with Ulaire Otsea, RiT.

Maybe this was helpful, maybe you knew it all already, (and maybe it was actually bad advice, but hopefully not), but at the end of the day just throw spaghetti at the wall and see what does and doesn't stick.

Good luck on your endeavor!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 07:34:57 AM by JamesCB »

July 17, 2022, 08:56:01 AM
Reply #2

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 08:56:01 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to say exactly what you need without knowing what you're working with. If you post your decklist (the clipboard button right next to where you load your deck in the deckbuilder) then we'll be able to advise what cards you may be missing or need to cut. If you post a replay or two we might be able to offer some tips on what to do with the cards you draw.

July 19, 2022, 08:08:22 PM
Reply #3

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 08:08:22 PM »
This is my Fellowship block deck, I took the advice of a GEMP player named Sentinnell and he gave me some good pointers.
https://play.lotrtcgpc.net/gemp-lotr-server/deck/html?deckName=Sentinnel%20advice%20deck

July 20, 2022, 02:30:53 AM
Reply #4

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 02:30:53 AM »
That link won't work for anyone but you, you'll need to paste the contents of the deck with the clipboard button I mentioned.

July 22, 2022, 03:20:51 AM
Reply #6

N3th3r

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 03:20:51 AM »
Hi Craniac - don't get disheartened. There's always hope!

Overview

These main strategies in fellowship block - https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=12083.0

I'd pay particular attention to Uruks, Moria Swarm, Sauron Wounding, Nazgul beatdown as if you aren't prepared for them they can cause a world of hurt!

Key cards
Frodo, reluctant adventurer
Filibert bolger
Sting
Legolas, Greenleaf
Armor
Flaming Brand
No stranger to the shadows
Condition removal (Sleep Cahadras, Secret Sentinels, Athelas, Bilbo (Well spoken hobbit)
Aragorn, Heir to the White City
Horn of Boromir
Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
Boromir, Son of Denethor / Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Fellowship

I'm not saying you should play all of the above however there's some pointers. Looking at your list and not wanting to change the type of deck you have you may want to try:

Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer (saves 3 twilight over the course of a game for you)

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Arwen, Daughter of Elrond
1x Legolas, Greenleaf
4x Aragorn, Heir to the White City
1x Asfaloth
1x Elven Bow
3x Gwemegil
1x Aragorn's Bow
2x Armor
3x Athelas
2x Flaming Brand
1x Ranger's Sword
1x Sting
1x Mithril-coat
1x The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
1x The Tale of Gil-galad
4x Gondor Bowmen
3x No Stranger to the Shadows
1x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
1x Filibert Bolger
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast
1x Boromir, Son of Denethor
2x Bilbo, Well-spoken hobbit

The cards which have been added in will help against swarm, sauron wounding and uruk beatdown. The extra companions are for 'oh dear!' moments, swarm and to chuck under something big and smelly also they have great utility. You could take out one copy of gwemegil, no stranger, elven bow if you wanted to get the deck smaller.

Shadow
Twlight Nazgul are always fun when it pays off however I've always found the best strategy for them is to have a hybrid version with twilight witch-king.

Maybe some inspiration - https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=8674.0.

I've found the key to nazgul are they aren't great against choke, archery or flaming brand so need something to get them in cheaper, soak up archery wounds and get over flaming brand/get rid of it.

The best Nazgul by far are weapon cantea and shotgun enquea hence them being in EVERY nazgul deck until they rotated out.

Hope this helps!

July 23, 2022, 07:16:38 AM
Reply #7

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 07:16:38 AM »
thank you for the advice, I'll start working on a new deck with these strategies in mind.  :up: