LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Site number  (Read 1236 times)

September 26, 2022, 02:12:40 AM
Read 1236 times

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
Site number
« on: September 26, 2022, 02:12:40 AM »
Hi there,

how about Hobbit Farmer: does he work with the new "shadow-sites" for his site 1? (...as it does not say: site number)

greetz
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

September 26, 2022, 09:19:21 AM
Reply #1

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Site number
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 09:19:21 AM »
No, he only works with fellowship sites. TTT and ROTK have a site symbol and shadows site don't have a site number.

September 28, 2022, 01:42:26 PM
Reply #2

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Site number
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 01:42:26 PM »
Ringbearer is right, although it's a little complicated. It would probably help to find and include the relevant blog posts from Decipher at the time -- the full picture isn't directly communicated in the rules, unfortunately. Shadows sites don't have site numbers on them, but they do have a site number once they're in play:

"The first player chooses any site from his adventure deck and places it on the table to begin the adventure path. This becomes site 1."

At first glance, that sentence seems to directly say that Hobbit Farmer should work. There's no site 1 in your adventure deck so there's no "your site 1" to pull with his ability, but if you get it into play it all seems to match up. As I said, it's not directly stated in the rules that this is wrong. Still, maybe these lines get the idea across:

1) "The sites provided in Fellowship block sets have no block symbol."
2) "When a site's number is specifically mentioned in game text, that number uses a block symbol."
3) "Site cards have a dark compass in the upper left corner. This symbol is used on sites from the Shadows expansion set onward, differentiating them from sites found in previous sets (which use a different compass symbol, and may also use a block symbol)."

Since there's no site number on Shadows sites until they're on the path, obviously they don't have a block symbol. Line 1 says Fellowship block sites have no block symbol. However, it's a different kind of no block symbol. Lines 1 and 3 are referring to the site itself -- in the top left corner, there is no symbol the way there is on Towers and King sites. Lines 1 and 2 together say that the block symbol of Fellowship, when referenced in text, is "no block symbol." All references to Fellowship Block sites do use a block symbol, but the symbol is nothing. This is because Decipher was apparently incapable of planning ahead at all.

So Fellowship's symbol is "no symbol," while Shadows has no symbol. This is very subtly different: it's the difference between the number 0 (a number with no value) and no number at all; or comparing an empty box to an empty space. Rather than a symbol of "no symbol," there's just nothing. I understand how confusing this can be, hopefully this helps make some sense of it. If you find that this explanation makes things worse, just scroll back up to Ringbearer's answer and be content with the simplicity :P