LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: KS Southron archers & Mumaks  (Read 2058 times)

February 26, 2023, 02:20:03 AM
Read 2058 times

WilliamFox

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
KS Southron archers & Mumaks
« on: February 26, 2023, 02:20:03 AM »
Hi everyone and thank you for accepting my forum registration !

I was a huge fan of the LotR TCG back in the days and after unearthing my collection I am currently enjoying the game with friends again.

I would be happy if you could give me some advice about one of my decks' Shadow side which is Southron archers & Mumaks (I have always loved this combination). I know that Movie Block is better for this strategy thanks to Seasoned Leader and Mumak Chieftain, but we have decided to stick to King Standard due to our respective card collections and considerations for the game balance.

My current deck is as follows:

4x Southron Bowman
4x Elite Archer
4x Desert Lord
2x Southron Captain
1x Army of Haradrim
2x Mumak Commander

4x Mumak

2x Arrow from the South
1x Bold Men and Grim

3x War Towers
2x Mumakil of the Harad
2x Whirling Strike
1x Red Wrath
2x Discovered

Similarly to the movie block strategy, the idea is to exhaust companions with the archers (Southron Bowman, Elite Archer, Desert Lord) and finish them off with strong mounted minions (Southron Captain, Army of Haradrim, Mumak Commander) or surprise wounding (Whirling Strike, Red Wrath). I use War Towers to generate threats for Southron Captain, for additional wounds once a companion is killed, and for twilight generation with Mumakil of the Harad.

The deck works alright but while it can exhaust companions reasonably well, it does not always kill very efficiently. Mumak Commander hurts a lot but he is expensive since he needs another Southron to spot and a Mumak. Threat generation can be a bit erratic as well so the Southron Captain is not always as deadly as I would like him to be.

Should I increase threat generation? Or add more finishers? Or simply more minions? Right now, out of my collection I have the following additional cards for which some of the above could be swapped :

2x Southron Traveler (for protection against direct wounding)
3x Southron Wanderer (for twilight generation)
3x Southron Bandit (for twilight and threat generation)
1x Southron Conqueror (for skirmish support if lots of twilight)
2x Southron Intruder (for skirmish support if lots of twilight)
1x Southron Captain (additional finisher)
1x Army of Haradrim (additional finisher)

3x Raider Halberd (to have more minions win skirmishes and for twilight generation)
4x Raider Bow (maybe as combo with Army of Haradrim or Red Wrath)

1x War Towers (for additional threat generation)
1x Whirling Strike (for additional wounding)
1x Red Wrath (maybe difficult to fit more than 1 in this deck with already so much exertion)
1x Fierce in Despair (7 is steep and I'd need a bit more twilight generation I believe)
3x New Strength Came Now (to have more minions win skirmishes)

I'm sure there are other cards that would be great, though I likely do not have them now. Yet, I am open to suggestions!

What do you think? How would you build a Southron archers & Mumaks deck for King Standard?

Thanks a lot for your inputs !
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 06:37:53 PM by WilliamFox »

February 28, 2023, 07:21:40 AM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: KS Southron archers & Mumaks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 07:21:40 AM »
I rambled a bit below, as I often do -- just ignore the parts where I explain something obvious :P This particular sort of deck is tricky to build in KS. Without Seasoned Leader, Elite Archer and Southron Bowman are really unimpressive bearers of the Mumak. And without Ships of Great Draught it's harder to maximize Arrow from the South once it's loaded. Still, as with everything it's got potential in the format!

Broad observation is you don't have two parts of your deck, you have four -- archery, skirmishing (mumaks), threats, and twilight. I think any two parts can go together quite well, but the more you add the more intentional every card has to be. Archers are the main spot, with Mumaks complementing them with Arrow from the South (and of course wounds). Since there's no Rallying Call you have to really devote yourself to threats in KS, it's not simply part of every Southron deck. War Towers can be efficient enough on its own to justify as a bonus, but I don't think you're generating them consistently enough for Mumakil of the Harad to be a real value. Do you get at least [4] back from it? If not, Flanking Attack or Trample will probably be better. Which brings us to the twilight portion. Right now just 4 cards need an excess of twilight, so I'd imagine that more often than not gaining twilight doesn't actually do much (well, except get a stop and maybe bluff having Whirling Strike or Red Wrath. Which is not nothing, but not going to get you any kills). The mumaks are ideally net 0 twilight, so they don't bring you any closer to playing anything in your current setup.

Arrow from the South is a card I quite like, but have struggled to find a good use for. In my latest attempt I just get 2-3 tokens and use it after that, often only on Desert Lord. The note you make about exhausting but not killing might have to do with how your deck is split -- you've got 12 archers to exhaust but then only 3 cards to kill when the FP may not expect it, Whirling Strike and Red Wrath. The high skirmish strength is certainly a factor, but easier for the Free Peoples to manage since they know exactly what they're gonna get. If there's a 3rd string fighter who can take a big guy on with a pump, you probably won't see a return on your work until site 8 or 9. This is where Arrow from the South shines to me, putting the wounds back on the main fighters at site 7 after the FP spent the sanctuary healing them. In such a scenario, Southron Captain's damage +2 isn't going to matter much, the FP will just throw him on an exhausted companion.

Here's the goal I see for this deck: you make it so the main fighters are all one bad assignment away from a sudden death, which forces second string to fight and lose skirmishes which racks up even more wounds. Eventually this forces the FP to a breaking point and their whole fellowship comes crashing down. The archer, mumak, and twilight parts all play very well into this goal, even if the twilight part is a little wedged in at the moment. Threats, however, do not -- Frodo is the fighter of last resort, and depending on The Ring he might be the only one to ever take those wounds. No wounds are bad, but some are worse than others and these don't contribute to what the rest of your deck is doing.

As far as what I'd do... Load the deck up with a bunch of rares XD Apparently all my Southron decks are extremely rare heavy and I hadn't noticed. Just about every card I would suggest is R, and half the second string was too. Southron Fighter, Desert Stalker, War Mumak, and Southron Troop are the biggest ones I'd add if you have 'em. Ithilien Wilderness and Wrath of Harad are good too, put a pump out of your hand.

Ambush will let you gain some twilight from fierce skirmishes instead of just breaking even, great to tie together the mumak and twilight parts. Southron Commander with a Mumak will pretty quickly trim an opponent's FP down to a manageable level, and your archer text will make sure they can't just discard exhausted nobodies. 13 strength is no slouch too. Just be wary of extra copies of main fighters which might allow them to come back fully healed. Southron Invaders' text probably won't come into play but he's also a reasonably competent minion with ambush. Instead of Mumakil of the Harad or the other generators I mentioned, I'd use Raider Halberd. The exerts are a valid concern for your archers but your non-archers are the ideal Mumak bearers and they've got no use for their vitality. Plus, it's enough for your opponent that you could gain twilight for Whirling Strike or Red Wrath when assigning minions, which may help to bluff better. It's also enough to combo with Army of Haradrim on its own, exhaust him for 6 twilight and play a mumak. Raider Bow only nets you 3!

I've always been really unimpressed by Mumak Commander, for the reasons you note. Southron Captain is basically the same in a broader set of circumstances for cheaper. I don't know what you're using for site 5, City Gates* is great the cap'n but if you don't get him by then it can sometimes benefit the FP by removing threats (if they're less than 3 away from the threat limit). Pelennor Flat* can benefit Discovered, and if you go that route I'd consider Desert Legion. A bid of 2 will lead opponents to a normally safe 4 burdens, turning him into a fearsome foe. You wouldn't be able to use City Gates to clear threats for your own FP though, and the hand discard / burden choice can bite you just the same. It's a real shame there's only 2 options for site 5 in KS.

So, for a deck that's focused on archery and skirmishing with a bit of twilight thrown in, here's how I would use your sideboard:

-2x Mumak Commander (too expensive)
-1x Bold Men and Grim (removing the threat part of the deck)
-3x War Towers (ditto. It's a fine card, but threat wounds will go on RB and undermine your archers' efforts to ignore his vitality)
-2x Mumakil of the Harad (obviously)

+1x Army of Haradrim (solid minion with good text)
+1x Southron Traveler (great ambush even with middling strength)
+1x Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul (because I removed War Towers and Mumak Commander... I'm assuming you have him and don't have Southron Commander. You can consider replacing another supporting card for War Towers to add back threats for Morgulduin if you often expect to see 6+ companions, or use another copy of Traveler instead of him if you rarely expect to see 6)
+3x Raider Halberd (Good for the mumak and twilight portions simultaneously)
+1x Whirling Strike (expanding the twilight part of the deck)
+1x New Strength Came Now (expanding twilight part in a different direction)

I might swap a Discovered or even a Mumak for another minion, depending on how things go. If you wind up not seeing the value out of Arrow from the South that you'd like, reducing it to 1x to be a fun bonus rather than a particular aim for the deck is also a solid idea. I've got you up a minion from before even though I really wanted to see 2 NSCN. My thinking is 3-4 skirmishes and an event in hand is going to be better than 2-3 skirmishes and 2 events. Nearly took out Southron Captain for Southron Wanderer, but even if he's not as helpful as other (rare) minions might be a 13 strength potential-mumak-bearer is pretty solid for this deck. Plus he's a great Raider Halberd candidate. Southron Wanderer is not my favorite minion anyway, he's a fine generator early on but once Frodo has a sword the potential mind games probably won't give good enough return in this build where you're pretty clearly not trying to wound the RB (and, between you and me, won't be able to actually overwhelm him without obviously overextending). I decided to leave your second Red Wrath out in hopes that the archers will all do their job well enough that you're never 2 wounds away from killing a skirmishing character, and that your opponent will generally put the exhausted archers on their fighters. Some would disagree that you should ever put Whirling Strike above Red Wrath though, depends on how you want to play.

The hope is that your deck is more tuned to killing the strongest FP characters. Exhaust them with archers, finish 'em with an event, then just plow through whatever weaklings are left with the additional skirmish wins that this brings. Ambush minions will add assignments without costing as much twilight, which'll more often put you in the position to off someone. If you can score a kill or two at site 7 by unloading Arrow from the South into Whirling Strike, that's probably the ideal. Site 8 should get you 2 more after successfully doing that (one planned via assignment, one forced via event; or both to a big mumak) and then you're set to skirmish the Ring-bearer at 9. Still a bit worried about the minion count. Big fellowships make this plan pretty hard to realize, the path there is 1) get 5 wounds out of Enquea and 2) use all that excess twilight up with Army of Haradrim. Not very clean I admit, but it should at least slow your opponent considerably. Southron Commander would turn that situation around on his own though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:10:59 AM by Phallen Cassidy »

March 01, 2023, 02:14:52 AM
Reply #2

WilliamFox

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 02:14:52 AM »
Hi Phallen,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed answer! I really appreciate it.

You have perfectly streamlined the strategy I was intuitively trying to go for : keep the 1st string constantly exhausted and the FP player under stress, so that either he throws his 2nd string to their death or loses his 1st string through miscalculations. From the games I have played, I have found that my opponents are often willing to sacrifice a bit too much before risking to send in their exhausted 1st string, as seen recently against Rohan where a tired Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark (with exhausted Eowyn, Lady of Rohan) was benched more than half the game (great to let the Mumaks play though I still lost). I guess few players around me want to see their favorite and strongest companions with some of their support cards go to waste. Really, the constant exhaustion plus the threat of Whirling Strike can be an interesting way to disable the peskier fighters, if not killing them. As you said, it does not work very well against large fellowships, though, but luckily my meta does not include Ents and most try to stick to 5 companions (a few do get to 6 or 7 at times unfortunately but some cards you mentioned will take care of that).

Honestly, the threat aspect is something that bugged me several times but part of me kinda wanted it to work for the game variety and also due to the synergy with some sites, the Southron Captain and the Mumak Commander. With your kick I could finally let it go and streamline the deck. Indeed, the threat generation was definitely erratic, especially in a meta where most opponents are careful not to play more than 5 companions at once, making War Towers (and consequently Mumakil of the Harad) a bit underwhelming. Relieved of this burden, I feel finally free now. :)

Regarding Arrow from the South, I definitely agree with your assessment. I like this card and will keep 2 copies for now, but quite often it isn't that significant until later sites. Cutting to 1 is definitely an option, though it would become a bit unreliable since a late draw does not allow for prior buildup. Because it has shined at times and with your changes I will have more skirmish wins, I think I'll playtest further as is and will decide later.

I would like to cut 1 Discovered, but I play quite a lot against Rohan with Thundering Host and Arrow Slits and those can be annoying due to the boosting/healing and Mumak discarding they provide. I also often face Hobbits/Gondor with plenty of tales including A Talent for Not Being Seen, and Ring-bound rangers with Ancient Roads and Citadel of Minas Tirith, but those bother me less. Do you think Rohan is enough to justify keeping 2?

I actually have 1 Desert Stalker (forgot to include it in my previous message) and have found 2 Southron Veterans. While the latter are a bit less straightforward than the Southron Commander, I think they'll be a good addition to the deck due to similar effect, stats and ambush.

Following your recommendations and the points above, here is the new version of the deck:

2x Southron Traveler
4x Southron Bowman
2x Elite Archer
4x Desert Lord
2x Southron Veterans
1x Desert Stalker
2x Southron Captain
2x Army of Haradrim

3x Raider Halberd
3x Mumak

2x Arrow from the South

2x Whirling Strike
1x Red Wrath
2x New Strength Came Now
2x Discovered

I have cut 2 Elite Archer to make room for other minions but I have kept the 2 Arrow From the South. My thinking is that their value is inferior to Southron Bowman and Desert Lord which are both 1 wound for [3] and exhaustion power might be enough. Elite Archer is 1 wound for [4] and the +2 STR is probably not enough to make him a good skirmisher. Would you cut them all entirely, eventually?

I went to 19 for the minions count, since you seemed to still be a bit worried at the 18 you proposed. I have now more ambush which hopefully will let me play wounding cards or pumps. I have added an extra New Strength Came Now instead of the extra Whirling Strike, though I am not sure yet whether this is a good idea. I wonder, the surprise wounding is especially important against the 1st string and for the bluff, while New Strength Came Now will help to win the numerous skirmishes against the 2nd string fighters that will have their own pumps. What do you think?

I have cut 1 Mumak but might add it back if my hand does not get clogged. The deck is paired with a Mithrandir Superfriends FP that does not cycle very well. I do have 2 Hosts Still Unfought (and 1 Gandalf's Cart for the FP) in my side board, though, but for now I'll keep them out I guess.

What do you think of the current balance?

Also, may I ask for how you would build the deck providing you had all the rare cards you need? Many of those you mentioned are not very expensive so I am considering placing an order.

Thank you !
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:40:51 AM by WilliamFox »

March 01, 2023, 04:30:28 AM
Reply #3

Orophoin

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 04:30:28 AM »
I'm enjoying this thread. Nice deck.

Phallen's suggestions, as always, look spot on, but there's one card I would recommend having as a one-off, and that's Southron Leader.  He can decimate a rainbow wounding deck, which otherwise fares very well against you, especially if you can get it to work before Preparations and Slaked Thirsts get set up. No need for more than one in your deck, though.

March 01, 2023, 06:14:22 AM
Reply #4

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 06:14:22 AM »
Looks nice. I always wanted to do something with Arrow from the South.

All I'd recommend is to up Red Wrath to 2 copies, I like them as they can foil wound prevention.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

March 02, 2023, 07:06:17 PM
Reply #5

WilliamFox

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 07:06:17 PM »
Hi Orophoin and Tunadan !

Thank you for your help !

I do have Southron Leader. At first I thought that Desert Stalker might do just as well, but 1 exertion for all companions is definitely less versatile than multiple targeted wounding. No rainbow deck in my meta except mine though, so I'll keep it in the sideboard for now. :)

For Red Wrath I am still playtesting. Yesterday the deck struggled against a Hobbit Hospital variant, they had too much vitality and healing and when the big guys showed up, Bounder and the multiple pumps prevented the Hobbits from being overwhelmed (plus Aragorn, Ranger of the North support). One more Red Wrath might have helped, more so than one more New Strength Came Now. Or maybe some ally hate... I had pretty unlucky draws though, so hard to conclude on the matchup.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 07:09:48 PM by WilliamFox »

March 03, 2023, 07:24:04 PM
Reply #6

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 07:24:04 PM »
Taking out some Elite Archers is smart. I don't know about removing them completely, Desert Lord is fantastic but his uniqueness can be problematic and you want to be able to get archers on the field for Arrow from the South when it's ready to go. I think cutting the archery back a bit to lean more into the skirmishing / twilight parts is a good call for how the deck is currently structured, the "ideal" balance just comes down to preference.

I'm all for keeping Arrow from the South at 2x. Thinking about your comment for Eomer, one counter to your strategy could be to just ignore the danger and don't engage in the mind games. Benching a companion is giving you free twilight each move and if e.g. Eomer dies it's not terribly different from him being benched. And after all, you can't have the right cards in hand to punish risky assignments all the time. When Eomer does die, replace him with an Elite Rider or Hrethel or something to get very nearly the same output. It never occurred to me before, perhaps Arrow from the South is protection from a rotating 5 man Fellowship approach. The occasional wins snowball and allow you to instantly exhaust a replacement companion (or two, or three!) rather than having to basically start over. It's not foolproof for such a purpose by any means, but maybe it'll make its way into another one of my decks with this in mind.

Discovered is good at 2x too. In general, if there's any action I actually want to do (discarding conditions, removing burdens, etc) then I will always have it in at least 2x. 1x to me implies that it's just a bonus, a bit of flair -- for many cards it isn't very different from not having it at all. When you have a situational card like Southron Leader as Orophoin suggested, that can be a good thing. You may not really even want to see it every game. Don't take this as bashing singles though, I'm the king of 1x ;D I love having a core function of a deck and then a ton of variance and directions to take it in game. There are some downsides and caveats but there's no need to go into all that here.

Even though I considered cutting Discovered to get your minion numbers up a bit, the kill in this deck will probably come from events. My most similar deck (mumaks twilight and threats) has 2x Discovered as well, and fewer minions than non-minions (18 to 19). It's paired with Rohan and the first or second card I pull with Symbelmyne is Deor (Leowyn against wounding) to cycle, and there are different goals too (prefer to play fewer, scarier minions as a rule) so there's not a ton of parallel to draw. I just bring it up to say it's not as if a 17:17 split is bad or 19:15 is good.

This sort of Southron deck, at least as I understand what you want to do, is all about the mind games. As long as your opponent fears the uncertainty, the strength of the build is that you get the benefits of e.g. Whirling Strike ("If I assign Eomer he will die, so I'll let him sit out until the next sanctuary") without actually having it take up space in your hand. More skirmishes breeds more fear, you just have to be careful not to tip so far that your opponent realizes it's nothing but a boogeyman -- or that you force your opponent to make a risky assignment and can't punish it. I don't know that more minions actually hits this properly, but that's the rationale behind it.

You know, I look at the rares I had in mind before and I think they would take your deck in a different direction -- too much focus on skirmishing compared to archery. Also I am an extreme cheapskate and I'd hate for any money to be lost on my account XD Honestly, there's probably not a ton of benefit to be gained by them. If I had all cards lying around though, I'd give up the Veterans for Desert Stalkers (turn one of them into Southron Commander if big fellowships become a concern), Southron Captain for Desert Legion... Maybe swap a Raider Halberd for an Ithilien Wilderness to open up another avenue for messing with your opponent (when any minion could be +2, every minion can be considered +2 when assigning). If you add a mumak back, I'd consider a War Mumak for the extra point of strength (never expecting to get twilight out of its text) -- often that doesn't matter, but on rare occasion having one in discard to pull with Army of Haradrim has won games for me. The others don't fit. If there are no big fellowships in your group then there's no point in Southron Troop. Southron Fighter, I think, would've matched up with your threat cards but now doesn't have a home. Wrath of Harad is just to put a second copy of Ithilien Wilderness in play, basically, and there might not even be room for the one.

Keep in mind that at this point, it's all just nit picking. I think dropping the threat part and upping your skirmish events from 3 to 5 were the biggest changes to make, and having some ambush minions is good for tying it all together. You've got a goal and all the cards in your deck contribute to it, which is the big thing. I might steal this deck myself, I don't have an archery / mumak deck :P

March 06, 2023, 12:33:47 AM
Reply #7

WilliamFox

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 12:33:47 AM »
Hi Phallen and thank you as always for your insights !

Please do not worry about me losing money on your account, those cards are not worth a lot and I take responsibility for my purchases. Besides I think we have narrowed it down pretty well!

The decklist now looks like shown below:

2x Southron Traveler
2x Desert Stalker
1x Southron Commander
2x Desert Legion
4x Southron Bowman
2x Elite Archer
3x Desert Lord
2x Army of Haradrim

2x Raider Halberd
3x Mumak
1x War Mumak

2x Arrow from the South
1x Ithilien Wilderness

1x Trample
2x Whirling Strike
2x Red Wrath
1x On The March
2x Discovered

The minion count is down to 18 again. Archers are exactly 9, or 50%. I cut a Desert Lord since I have a lot of high-cost minions and as you mentioned it is unique. I have replaced New Strength Came Now with On The March, which seems just a bit better (some opponents do occasionally place 6 companions, thus also the 1x Southron Commander as you recommended). I have added a 1x Trample (love the image), since I have 4 mounts in the deck included a 1x War Mumak following your advice (I kinda want one...). I have also switched 1x On The March for 1x Ithilien Wilderness. For synergy with Desert Legion (and Discovered ) I have chosen Pelennor Flat*, per your recommendation.

The current count is 35 cards and I'd like to bring it down to 34 but I am at loss for a cut. Maybe in the overall Raider Halberd / Trample / On The March / Ithilien Wilderness pool. Or maybe I'll just up the FP 1 card... I was also thinking of switching one of the wounding cards for 1x Fierce in Despair, what do you think, is it too expensive (and situational due to the need of having 2 surviving minions)? I have also considered Flanking Attack (add [3] ) but besides the surprise factor it seems a bit inferior to Raider Halberd (add [2] and +2 STR).

Below the 15-card sideboard I am considering:
1x Southron Traveler (a 3rd one, good ambush, better protection against archery / direct wounding)
1x Southron Invaders (for recursion, but the text seems quite restrictive)
1x Southron Leader (if multicultural decks become problematic)
1x Desert Stalker
1x Elite Archer (to bump the number of archers if needed)
1x Desert Lord (ditto)
1x Raider Halberd
1x Trample
1x Whirling Strike
1x Fierce in Despair (would pair well with Trample or a Desert Stalker on Mumak)
1x Ithilien Wilderness
1x Wrath of Harad
1x On The March
2x Hosts Still Unfought

Last question, would you please tell me what you think is the most effective Southron strategy in King Standard? I am not very interested in Easterlings, but I'm curious about the best way to make Southrons work, if down the line I am not satisfied with the current deck. I suppose it could go either into more ambush skirmish, more threats, or more archery (Southron Marksmen, maybe Rapid Fire?).

Thank you !
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 08:37:50 PM by WilliamFox »

March 08, 2023, 05:49:57 PM
Reply #8

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 05:49:57 PM »
Trample is the cut, I think. It's a great card and all but I don't think you have the investment in either mumaks or twilight for it to pay off. And yeah, I'm not sure any other twilight generator beats Raider Halberd for this deck. Half your minions have plenty of vitality and no other use for it, plus the strength to be competitive skirmishers. I don't like Fierce in Despair for any non-twilight deck for the caveats you've already mentioned. It's funny you cut New Strength Came Now, I have also replaced it with On the March in most of my decks. There's a lot of Merry's Sword on Gemp and Rohan tends to be the most likely to drop below 4 cards thanks to Deor anyway. Not a lot of swarm decks either, so players typically have Shadow cards in hand at all times and won't lose initiative naturally. All decks are theoretically capable of losing initiative and not all may be capable of putting 6+ companions out, yet I guess seeing 6+ companion is more reliable and troublesome than my opponent happening to lose initiative while I have the card in hand and the extra +3 making a meaningful difference.

I couldn't tell you what the best Southron deck is. And that's a good thing! One of King Standard's finest features. Southrons are perhaps the most flexible group in the game, with several different things you could focus on: archery, threats, twilight, mumaks, or initiative. Most of these can accommodate a wide field of minions, from 1-2 big minion beatdowns to 6+ little minion swarms to 3-4 mid-level hybrids, and as I said the focuses themselves can be combined in different ways. Decipher did a nice job tying them together, especially given the breadth of their abilities.

Initiative is probably the weakest, relies the most on combos (specifically, Hosts Still Unfought or Southron Chieftain) to work and doesn't do too much outside of them. When the combos do work they work well, but it can be hard to wedge this in as a secondary focus and when it's your primary focus you often have to accept that you'll only have 4-5 sites to make an impact on the FP instead of 6-7. Combos can be the most fun to play and when you don't have the combo together your opponent won't necessarily walk all over you or anything, but yeah.

The strongest decks all probably incorporate some aspect of twilight generation / spending, and that's in part because it already lends itself as a natural inclusion thanks to ambush. Whirling Strike and Red Wrath are just too good to leave out when their costs are covered. A pure archery or archery/threat deck could perhaps be built to streamline them out in favor of cheaper wounds if you really wanted, the rest should probably have some piece of it in there. Unless you want to play the ultimate mind game and bluff having them in the deck at all :P Which can work! After all, if there's 3 twilight in the pool what's more likely -- that you calculated to have that there for Whirling Strike, or that you didn't even bother to put it in your deck? I believe it was a Decipher-run online tournament ~15 years ago where someone won with a minionless deck. He simply played a bunch of Nazgul conditions like Lost in the Forest and none of his opponents would double move for fear of getting hit by 4-5 Nazgul and losing everyone all at once.

Anyway, other than that the direction you go in is all personal preference I think. Some people will be better at certain styles than others based on how they want to play the game, but I don't think any style on its own merit is worse than others. You can have a deck focused entirely on gaining and spending inordinate amounts of twilight. Threats are solid, easily combined with any of the others and a potentially inexpensive source of wounds. Archery is likewise flexible. There's a reason Desert Lord is splashed everywhere. Mumaks tend to be a bit more specialized since a minion that dies in the first skirmish (or before then) hasn't gotten full value out of your cards. There might be room for using it with mid-level wounding cards like Desert Warrior and Desert Soldier, but I haven't explored that. I prefer to stick 'em on big minions and let them run rampant.

All this to say, if you decide to take this deck in a different direction there's plenty of direction to explore. Based on your first attempt, I might next consider Beatdown Mumaks / Threats. That exact strategy is half of my "circus" deck (elephants opposite a sword-swallowing Eowyn, Restless Maiden who wounds with Dernhelm's Blade over and over). Even when the mumaks don't get as many kills as you'd want, having a 16+ strength fierce minion on the table makes double-moving really unappealing. Especially when that minion might be damage+2 if your opponent risks it!

Last thing I'll note is that all Southron strategies can go really well with Gollum. He's the universal splash, but Captured by the Ring / So Polite and They Stole It go very well in most Southron decks and open up Evil-smelling Fens. In one of my Southron wounding decks (archery and twilight) he takes up a third of the Shadow side, so that's yet another direction to take things if you get bored.

March 11, 2023, 08:59:09 PM
Reply #9

WilliamFox

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 08:59:09 PM »
Alright ! I'll try without Trample for now. Thanks for your reply about Fierce in Despair: based on recent playtest I do not think, indeed, that I have enough twilight generation to play it reliably. I'll keep it on the side in case I up that aspect someday.

New Strength Came Now vs On The March is a tough choice. One deck I face sometimes is Rohan / Sauron Swarm, so it tends to lose initiative, just like you observed. But in general, it's exactly as you said, having the pump in hand just at the right time and just when the opponent loses initiative is kinda rare (especially at 1-2 copies), while I tend to see 6 companions a bit more often. Or, them knowing that I have On The March can be another deterrent from increasing the amount of companions.

Very fun story about the minion-less deck ! I guess that kind of trick wouldn't work for long, but it really illustrates well the importance of mind game. :)

I'll definitely look into full archery when I get my hand on Southron Marksmen which seems to be quite important (and Rapid Fire if I find a way to add burdens to the deck), and sooner into mumaks / threats (I think I have more cards that fit that strategy right now). I would like really to avoid pure beatdowns, so keeping some archery / threats mechanisms is important to me.

Yesterday I played with a friend and got my loaded Arrow From the South removed before I could unload it. It's quite sad when that happens (and it's not uncommon), since this card is a real time investment. Of course not every deck packs condition removals, but most do (e.g. Secret Sentinels, Vilya, Fortress Never Fallen, Sleep, Caradhras, Grown Suddenly Tall...), so I am starting to doubt its reliability (especially with a cost of [2] and not many other conditions as targets for removal). The archers generally do their jobs well on their own to keep the main fighters one Whirling Strike or Red Wrath away from death, so maybe the 2x Arrow From the South will be replaced eventually with 2 more minions or 1 and a pump or something, though that would be some shift of strategy... :(

Would you mind sharing your Mumak beatdown / threat decklist? I'd be curious to see it. No worry if you prefer to keep it secret.

Thanks as always !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 07:07:17 PM by WilliamFox »

March 14, 2023, 08:21:07 PM
Reply #10

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 08:21:07 PM »
Shame about Arrow From the South. I know you were fond of it, maybe see if it's any fun at 1x even as that means that you can expect it to never even be worth playing in pessimistically half of your games? That's exactly where I've landed in the deck that uses it, try and get few wins and fire off as soon as possible so that there's minimal time for FP interacting. Vilya + Herald to Gil-galad is the worst. Vilya would easily be at the top of my ban list.

I'll be happy to share my list, although it turns out I've been lying -- it certainly started out a mumak / threat deck but now that I check it's pretty solidly mumak. Southron Captain is still a notable part of the deck but there's little other trace of the threats that once were. Here's the full deck with a rundown, maybe you can help me get it back on track: https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=12156
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:57:57 AM by Phallen Cassidy »

March 17, 2023, 08:38:22 PM
Reply #11

WilliamFox

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 08:38:22 PM »
Yes, I'll keep 1 copy for now and see how it goes. It'd be sad to let it go completely, though I do not exclude this option anymore. :(

It's funny you mention Vilya and your personal ban list. My friends and I have been talking recently about making a few adjustments to KS X-list to make the environment healthier. Vilya is one such adjustment, among others. While I think that only a handful of changes would be sufficient, it'd be very cool to hear what the community thinks. Would you be interested in this discussion, if I start a thread?

PS: I have answered to the best of my limited knowledge to your other post

March 23, 2023, 11:26:16 AM
Reply #12

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 11:26:16 AM »
Sure, that would be pretty interesting! As you have discovered I have lots of opinions :P Some of it depends on the competitiveness of the players and the fullness of everyone's collection, but since you have trouble with Vilya anyway it seems the answer to both is "very."