LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Underused cards/hidden gems in expanded  (Read 1335 times)

December 30, 2023, 03:01:33 PM
Read 1335 times

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Underused cards/hidden gems in expanded
« on: December 30, 2023, 03:01:33 PM »
What do you consider some potential hidden gems of the format? I mean stuff that you REALLY REALLY RARELY ever come by on GEMP. Here are some of mine:

Support of the Last Homely House: not like I see so many decks running Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad, but those that do, should look at this event. A skirmishing ally is incerdibly potent, as it stonewalls many forms of expanded strategies. Gollum can't touch allies, neither with wounding nor with Shelob, A full elf deck can murder Dark Horseman with it etc. Celeborn, The Wise can take it back on doubles too. Not saying it's must have 4 of or anything, but if you already run HTGG, you should probably look at this event.

One Whom Men Would Follow: similar to the previous one, but this requires some building around, which makes it a bit risky. I experimented a bit with and Tom Bombadil, and I can definitely say it has potential. Especially if you can also utilize Tom.

Thrarin, Dwarven Smith: Fetch him an Armor of Khazad-Dum and toss him like a Ring of Retribution and an axe. Takes care of all kinds of threats dwarves are weak to. Or just simly sacrifice him to a Demon of Might, its game text says nothing about allies. If your deck only has 2 cultures (besides [Dwarven]), I think Thrarin is an auto include (otherwise he makes you vulnerable to Southron Leader).

Brave and Loyal: [Shire] decks can have ridiculous power, but with the right tools, they are easy to pick apart. Brave and Loyal counters like half of those tools, and very easy to get back with Daddy Twofoot. I very rarely run my hobbit build, but I do include 3 copies of this.

Keep your Forked Tongue: You can just aid some followers for the spotting requirement and get it back with Erland, Dale Counselor indefinitely. I run a single copy in my paper Powerful Guide deck (I don't play that online, as that's my go to deck at game nights), and I can fetch it with SFTF or Long-Stemmed Pipe if the matchup calls for it. I play Frodo, OBH as bearer and also Radagast, esentially giving 2 extra tanks for a single card slot, and it can utterly demolish some shadow sides with very minimal investment.

Mighty Steed: thanks to Erland, Dale Counselor, unique skirmish events like these two can completely change a deck around. Replacing companions in skirmishes is an extremely powerful effect (might add Pippin, Brave Decoy, but once in a full moon I do encounter him).

Seeing Stone of Orthanc: actualy here I'm thinking of it in combination with On Your Doorstep. I made great use of Elrond, Witness to History in my most recent deck, and Seeing Stone + OYD can be used to a similar effect, getting back regroup events of any culture by the time you want access to them. One could go real creative with this.

Great Day Great Hour: I'm thinking of building a deck using this in conjustion with A New Light and Recovered Seeing Stone. Discard problem minions, and destroy what's left before they get a chance. Gimli, BoG + Ring of Fury + whatever damage +1 axe already exhausts a Demon of might, throw an Unheeded on top and someone will eventually conceed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 10:32:06 AM by Shelobplayer »