LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Newbie Questions...  (Read 4807 times)

December 17, 2008, 07:33:01 PM
Read 4807 times

UoleKuvion

Newbie Questions...
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:33:01 PM »
My gaming group are relatively new to LOTR TCG and we simply cannot figure out the following situations:

1. Lurker Question
a) If I have Rampaging Easterling out, does he get strength bonus from all the winning Evil Men minions in my 1)regular skirmishes or 2) both regular and fierce skirmishes?

b) If the Rampaging Easterling is assigned along with a non-lurker minion to a companion, how will the skirmish resolve? still the last to resolve??

2. Special Ability-related
For the cards like Final Strike and Warg, I can only use them to cancel abilities coming from characters, right? not abilities coming from cards, like event or condition?

3. A Puzzle...
Ok, here is the situation. My friend wants to use What Are They to trigger Hardy Garrison by losing initiative but I have no roaming minion in play, can he still use it? By purposely playing the 1st card for no effect in order to trigger the latter?

I asked this because I read somewhere that Wearer of Black and Silver can be returned to hand even if there is no roaming minion in play (hence to help Inspiration and other cards), is the above situation the same case? Or is there some difference?? or have I misinterpret Pippin completely... #-o

December 17, 2008, 09:09:02 PM
Reply #1

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
Re: Newbie Questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »
1. He gets the bonuse everytime a [men] minion wins a skirmish be it regular or fierce.
2. They can cancel anything for a character, possession/artifact or condition as long the word Skirmish: or whatever phase they are canceling is the action. For instance with finally strike if they use Greenleafs archery ability you can exert gollum to concel or or if the use Take Up the Bow or Elven Marksmanship you can cancel it. Basically a special ability is anything with the phase in bold followed by a colon (with the exception of events).
3. Yes all you have to do if pay the cost even if it the effect isn't good for anything.

Hopefully all this came out right and helps you :up:.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

December 17, 2008, 09:49:25 PM
Reply #2

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »
Welcome to the forums, UoleKuvion! :gp:

Tossing in a couple more things:

- The Free Peoples player must resolve all skirmishes that don't involve the lurker keyword before skirmishes that do, so the Rampaging Easterling and his non-lurker buddy will have to wait.

- Keying off NK's explanation, Final Strike can cancel Ithilien Blade (if that's also being used), but not What Are They? WAT? is nasty like that.

December 17, 2008, 10:53:14 PM
Reply #3

UoleKuvion

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:53:14 PM »
Thanks a lot, guys, it really helps to clear things up  :up:

WAT? is annoying, several of my well-planned Shelob combo goes down the drain with that  ](*,)

Combining what you two have explained, I think the following on Lurker's skirmish order is true:

1) regular skirmish(es); 2) fierce skirmish(es); 3) lurker skirmish(es)

Right? I posted the initial question because we have some doubt on the meaning of 'resolve ALL skirmishes before...' in the rule book about Lurker. ALL = regular OR regular & fierce? You see, the difference is a lot when you are using Rampaging Easterling and Stragglers, and my friends are at the receiving end  :twisted:

December 17, 2008, 11:31:09 PM
Reply #4

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:31:09 PM »
No, actually. It goes like this.

Assignment Phase.
Skirmish Phase.

All skirmishes must then be completed before proceeding.

Fierce Assignment
Fierce Skirmish

So, when a lurker is assigned to a skirmish, you resolve all the skirmishes, saving lurkers for last. Then, after all skirmishes have been resolved, you check for fierce. Repeat.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

December 18, 2008, 02:28:13 AM
Reply #5

UoleKuvion

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:28:13 AM »
Thanks for the clarification

So the resolving order for a Rampaging Easterling in a mix group of fierce and non-fierce minions will be:

1) assignment
2a) regular skirmishes
2b) RE
3) assignment
4) fierce skirmishes

Guess I have been playing it wrong and giving RE waaaaaayyyyyyy too many bonus... :mrgreen:

December 19, 2008, 05:38:03 AM
Reply #6

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 05:38:03 AM »
This is why you play Rampaging Easterling with Last Days, though. Play it in the maneuver or archery phase, then its a fierce growing minion. It grows skirmish one, it keeps growing and Stragglers FTW!
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

December 19, 2008, 04:38:32 PM
Reply #7

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »
Guess I have been playing it wrong and giving RE waaaaaayyyyyyy too many bonus... :mrgreen:

Don't feel bad about that. When my friends and I first started playing (back in the days of Fellowship!) we didn't discard minions at the end of the turn. Whatever you didn't kill was still around during your next turn...

...I'm still not sure how any of us made it to site 9 with like thirteen Uruk-hai sitting there waiting to be assigned.

Oh, and I demand an explanation of your name.

December 20, 2008, 08:55:59 AM
Reply #8

UoleKuvion

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »
Thanks NB for the RE + Last Days bit, totally missed that potential, will try this Xmas.

"Whatever you didn't kill was still around during your next turn...", that must have been impossible to win! But our first few games are pretty screwy too.

My first starter was the Gandalf one from Shadow (show how late I start). Not really knowing how the game goes, I play against my friend's Cave Troll/Barlog/Orc Swarm (he started way back in Fellowship but stop and pick up later) and still thought I had a chance to compete... me never pass beyond site 5 and just thought of what Gandalf said, "No, Gimli, I'm not taking the ring to Moria, not unless there is no other way!"  :mrgreen:

As for the name, it's an obscure Tolkien's creation:

"The Man in the Moon is even described in those writings, as being an old Elf who secretly hid on the island of the Moon, and built a minaret there... In The Book of Lost Tales, his name is given as Uolë Kúvion, but the tale of how he came to live there was never fully told." (from Wiki)