LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Duplicity (Brave World Block)  (Read 6542 times)

January 16, 2009, 09:29:19 AM
Read 6542 times

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
Duplicity (Brave World Block)
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »
Well, this is my own DC set that runs along with FM's block. I don't have a really long, in-depth storyline made up, but by the end of FM's third set (when this set takes place) his five planeswalkers have forged alliances (between allied colors, of course) and have mostly settled on a structure for their new world. However, my set depicts the "duplicity" of the planeswalkers - they will double-cross one another at any chance they get and forge alliances against one another, with the end goal still being the greatest power over this new world.

So, I'm thinking that the things that will be prevalent in this set are enemy color combination, as well as single colors, and a bit of multicolor hate.

I'll throw out a few spoilers.

Light of Lyn 1 (W)
Instant
Chroma - You may tap a target creature for each white mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.
All the world would fall to its knees before Lyn's divinity.

Knowledge of Abel (U)(U)
Instant
Chroma - Counter target spell unless its controller pays (1) for each blue mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.
All the world would cower before the mind of Abel.

Ambition of Baal (B)
Instant
Chroma - Target creature gets -1/-1 for each black mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.
All the world would fall victim to the shadow of Baal.

Rage of Morwen (R)(R)
Instant
Chroma - The Rage of Morwen deals 1 damage to target creature or player for each red mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.
All the world will burn in the anger of Morwen.

Ferocity of Aalistair 1 (G)(G)
Sorcery
Chroma - Put an X/X green Beast creature token with trample into play, where X is the number of green mana symbols among the costs of permanents you control.
The world will be beaten to dust by the strength of Aalistair.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:25:23 AM by Elf_Lvr »
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 16, 2009, 11:06:47 AM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Duplicity (Brave World Block)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »
I'd also like to see a few spells and creatures (demons and such) depicting experiences that went wrong, while they tried to plan a double-cross. Think you're up to that? It'd be onyl a few of them, of course, but some cool Demons that ended up running loose, or some weird spells with drawbacks, and such. As for reviewing...

The Light of Lyn (W)(W)
Instant
Chroma - You may tap a target creature for each white mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

This is fine, but since the spell can't count itself, I'd ease on the colored cost, I thint it's good enough at 1(W), I mean, Pollen Lullaby costs that and serves the "same" purpose. Otherwise, I think it's an awesome card.

The Knowledge of Abel (U)(U)
Instant
Chroma - Draw a card for each blue mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

Now this is too much. Card-drawing is a REALLY good ability, so instant-speed card drawing tends to be toned down (the last GOOD instant-speed card-drawing spell in Standard was Think Twice, for instance), and this is a HUGE card-drawing spell for an aggro deck! Even for a control deck, with Abel alone this would draw them 3 cards, thus making the first ability on Abel CRAZY, since you'd get to look at what you'd be drawing. I think it'd need a REALLY steep cost, perhaps sacrificing any number of blue permanents and drawing a card for each, losing the chroma part altogether? I'm still not sure where to go, though. Perhaps you could let the player look at those cards and put them back in any order? I think it might be more balanced this way.

The Ambition of Baal (B)(B)
Instant
Chroma - Target creature gets -1/-1 for each black mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

I think this is not good. Last Gasp and Nameless Inversion are WAY better at small costs. Also, you don't have to make all your cycles tight ones, try to loosen up a bit, that'sthe key to designing MtG anyway. I think this could be a sorcery and discard cards from the opponent's hands counting the mana symbols. COULD be an instant, but I'd be inclined to raise the cost by 1, and I think then it would not be that great.

The Rage of Morwen (R)(R)
Instant
Chroma - Rage of Morwen deals 1 damage to target player for each red mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

Damage always need a source, so as to know how prevention and protection would affect it. Again, it's subpar. For (R) more, you get to Flame Javelin their behinds, and Flame Javelin can also hit creatures. I think giving +1/+0 for each symbol would be more than enough, and still a very red ability. Maybe throw in first-strike (but not double-strike, it'd be too much). If you want to make it a damage-dealing spell, though, I'd go with at least lettign it hit creatures, and maybe a small perk, like making the card colorless (with text, it'd still cost (R)(R)).

The Ferocity of Aalistair (G)(G)
Instant
Chroma - Put an X/X green Beast creature token with trample into play, where X is the number of green mana symbols among the costs of permanents you control.

Now this? This right here? This is FUN! However, it's INSANELY powerful, AND instant-speed. This needs to cost AT LEAST about 1(G)(G) and be a sorcery, or 2(G)(G) and be an instant. Also, as a general thought, you need to be careful not to make every card rare or uncommon, in the design sense of the game, these cards would all be at least uncommon. With the tweaks, the green would probably end up rare, the rest would be uncommons.

January 16, 2009, 12:19:44 PM
Reply #2

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »
I'd also like to see a few spells and creatures (demons and such) depicting experiences that went wrong, while they tried to plan a double-cross. Think you're up to that? It'd be only a few of them, of course, but some cool Demons that ended up running loose, or some weird spells with drawbacks, and such.

Sounds fine. I was looking for ideas for (G) / (U) and (G) / (B) anyways, and those sound like they would fit.

The Light of Lyn (W)(W)
Instant

This is fine, but since the spell can't count itself, I'd ease on the colored cost, I thint it's good enough at 1(W), I mean, Pollen Lullaby costs that and serves the "same" purpose. Otherwise, I think it's an awesome card.

Perhaps. If I change some of the other costs like that, then this one will definately get the change. But this is really supposed to be for a mono-colored deck, anyway.

The Knowledge of Abel (U)(U)
Instant
Chroma - Draw a card for each blue mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

Now this is too much. Card-drawing is a REALLY good ability, so instant-speed card drawing tends to be toned down (the last GOOD instant-speed card-drawing spell in Standard was Think Twice, for instance), and this is a HUGE card-drawing spell for an aggro deck! Even for a control deck, with Abel alone this would draw them 3 cards, thus making the first ability on Abel CRAZY, since you'd get to look at what you'd be drawing. I think it'd need a REALLY steep cost, perhaps sacrificing any number of blue permanents and drawing a card for each, losing the chroma part altogether? I'm still not sure where to go, though. Perhaps you could let the player look at those cards and put them back in any order? I think it might be more balanced this way.

What if it was only at sorcery speed? Then how much would I need to tone it down?

The Ambition of Baal (B)(B)
Instant

I think this is not good. Last Gasp and Nameless Inversion are WAY better at small costs. Also, you don't have to make all your cycles tight ones, try to loosen up a bit, that'sthe key to designing MtG anyway. I think this could be a sorcery and discard cards from the opponent's hands counting the mana symbols. COULD be an instant, but I'd be inclined to raise the cost by 1, and I think then it would not be that great.

A lot of these cards - though low costing - aren't obviously meant to be played early, because of Chroma. Perhaps I could make it better and increase the cost. Maybe I could make THIS the card drawing Chroma spell, but add some life loss. That's a (B) ability, and fits the title.

The Rage of Morwen (R)(R)
Instant
Chroma - Rage of Morwen deals 1 damage to target player for each red mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

Damage always need a source, so as to know how prevention and protection would affect it. Again, it's subpar. For (R) more, you get to Flame Javelin their behinds, and Flame Javelin can also hit creatures. I think giving +1/+0 for each symbol would be more than enough, and still a very red ability. Maybe throw in first-strike (but not double-strike, it'd be too much). If you want to make it a damage-dealing spell, though, I'd go with at least lettign it hit creatures, and maybe a small perk, like making the card colorless (with text, it'd still cost (R)(R)).

I'll let it hit either. Maybe remove the creature from the game or have it deal damage as though it had wither, as a perk - or make it like Lyn's spell and ditch the double-color cost.

The Ferocity of Aalistair (G)(G)
Instant

Now this? This right here? This is FUN! However, it's INSANELY powerful, AND instant-speed. This needs to cost AT LEAST about 1(G)(G) and be a sorcery, or 2(G)(G) and be an instant. Also, as a general thought, you need to be careful not to make every card rare or uncommon, in the design sense of the game, these cards would all be at least uncommon. With the tweaks, the green would probably end up rare, the rest would be uncommons.

Fair enough. I like it better at sorcery speed, and I'll change the cost, after I see what you think about the ideas on the others...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 12:09:44 PM by Elf_Lvr »
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 16, 2009, 12:28:31 PM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »
Well, for an idea on how card-drawing should work, check Tidings. And it sees a lot of play. Compulsive Research also did, when it was Standard Legal. Even at sorcery speed, it's insanely cost-effective to be balanced, you have a single Abel out and change 2 to (U) (which would be easy anyway, since Abel is blue-mana heavy) and it's a compulsive research WITHOUT the discard for LESS mana. Still too broken, and that's taking into account a SINGLE permanent. I like the idea of having it in black, but black card-drawing , although present, is really rare to come by, and generally has a steep cost attached, so that'd depend on what the drawback would be, not to mention you'd need a replacement for the blue spell.

January 30, 2009, 06:21:05 AM
Reply #4

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:21:05 AM »
I made some changes on the previous few cards. We'll see if that makes them okay.

Anywho, I wanted to move on to one of the dual-color themes today. I think I'll take Felipe's "experiments gone wrong" angle and start (G)(B) right now.

Baal Rat 1 (B)
Creature - Rat Mutant
Wither.
When Baal Rat leaves play, target player discards a card.
1/1

Voracious Nightcrawler 1 (G)(B)
Creature - Worm Mutant
Devour 2.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature and put a +1/+1 counter on Voracious Nightcrawler.
2/2

Hellspawn Sorcerer 1(G/B)(G/B)
Creature - Human Shaman
Each Mutant creature you control gets +1/+1.
(B)(G), (T): Put a 1/1 Mutant creature token with Wither into play.
2/2

Nephilim of Earth (B)(G)
Legendary Creature - Demon Avatar
Trample.
Whenever Nephilim of Earth attacks and isn't blocked, sacrifice it at end of combat.
4/4
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:27:13 AM by Elf_Lvr »
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.

January 30, 2009, 09:14:56 AM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:56 AM »
As a general note, I'd lose the "the" of all of them, it makes more sense for non-permanent spells, I just don't know why. Also, I'm fixing their text, game-wise, below.

Light of Lyn 1(W)
Instant
Chroma - You may tap target creature for each white mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

Knowledge of Abel (U)(U)
Instant
Chroma - Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1 for each blue mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

I think this could cost 1(U) instead, less harsh. It's not that good anyway, you need to build around it, so I think this cost is fine, with Abel down, it's Mana Leak. Not very often it'll be too much better, and a lot of times it's gonna be dead in your hand.

Ambition of Baal (B)
Instant

Rage of Morwen (R)(R)
Instant
Wither. Chroma - Rage of Morwen deals 1 damage to target creature or player for each red mana symbol among the costs of permanents you control.

This one is cool, but I'd very much like to see it in playtesting, however, I'm inclined to say that it might be too strong with wither, maybe even without it! I mean, can you imagine a MonoRed with Ashenmoor Gouger, Boggart Ram-Gang and Demigod of Revenge packing this?!? If it's too abusable, perhaps raising the cost to 1(R)(R) might tone it down enough, but so far I think losing wither is good enough to make it fine.

Ferocity of Aalistair 1(G)(G)
Sorcery
Chroma - Put a X/X green beast creature token with trample into play, where X is the number of green mana symbols among the costs of permanents you control.

January 30, 2009, 09:17:47 AM
Reply #6

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:17:47 AM »
Hellspawn seems absurdly powerful, but that may just be me, I'm not quite fond of tokens with abilities aside from the regular ones like flying, lifelink, flanking, etc. And you don't need the "the" in the last part of Nephilim's text.

January 30, 2009, 09:27:39 AM
Reply #7

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
Changed the token's ability to wither. It does make a bit more sense.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.