LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Worst version of a movie character?  (Read 37685 times)

February 10, 2009, 05:57:37 PM
Reply #60

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: Worst version of a movie character?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »
Eomer, Guardian of the Eastmark
worst eomer...but its weird though, I looked through the lists and I can't find the other ROTK eomer, or the black rider one I think.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

February 10, 2009, 06:01:51 PM
Reply #61

Kralik

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »
I did start from fellowship block, and I must state Mithrandir is hands down the worst Gandalf. His autowounding just sucks.

I remember I was pretty excited when I first got this card in a pack, and I tried to incorporate him into my decks. It's true that Aragorn, KiE helps, but as much as I tried, Gandalf always died on me. :P Still, it seems that if you built a deck to keep him alive and happy (just as you could build a deck for BoO), he's nice and strong.

February 10, 2009, 06:06:57 PM
Reply #62

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
There is only 1 Eomer from set 7 (ROTK).

Eomer, Eored Leader (12U112) is the one from Black Rider.

February 10, 2009, 06:56:12 PM
Reply #63

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
theres another one, I know it. he says something about intiative and discarding cards from hand, oh he's a P thats why,

Eomer, Valiant Warchief (7P365)
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

February 10, 2009, 08:11:40 PM
Reply #64

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2009, 08:11:40 PM »
Quote from: Ringbearer
I did start from fellowship block, and I must state Mithrandir is hands down the worst Gandalf. His autowounding just sucks.

I have a Mithrandir deck, actually. He's pretty easy to keep healed up with King In Exile and/or Hard Choice, and yes, packing the extra healing is worth it to have that kind of beatstick around! He also makes a nice combo with Sent Back, since it doesn't really matter if he dies then.

I'll do the Nazzies, I guess:

- Attea: The Easterling. Yes, he was more useful back in Fellowship Block, but even then he was weak at best.
- Cantea: I guess Fourth of the Nine Riders, but I've found him to be a decent toss-in to Forestgul decks. No terrible versions, really.
- Enquea: Either Black Threat or Dark Threat. Probably the former.
- Lemenya: I'd love for someone to tell me a use for Wraith On Wings that another card can't do much, much better.
- Nelya: I guess Black Hunter, though no really poor versions. I refuse to say Lieutenant of Morgul; yes, useless now, but he was swiggity-sweet back in the day.
- Nertea: I never was able to get good use out of Thrall Of The One, but I'd love if someone could enlighten me.
- Otsea: Wow. I guess Black-mantled Wraith--I was never big into Shadow initiative--but they're all pretty darn useful.
- Toldea: Again, they're all good. I guess Wraith On Wings? Or can I just say "none"?
- The Witch-king: Deathless Lord. Ugh. The real insult is that people that bought the Towers Block Nazzie starter decks were stuck with him.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

February 10, 2009, 09:32:53 PM
Reply #65

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2009, 09:32:53 PM »
Black Threat could be run in Forestguls (on account of toil making him cheaper); Nertea TotO could be splashed in Morcs (although Dark Horseman might've stolen his thunder).

February 11, 2009, 02:34:42 AM
Reply #66

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2009, 02:34:42 AM »
Black Threat could be run in Forestguls (on account of toil making him cheaper); Nertea TotO could be splashed in Morcs (although Dark Horseman might've stolen his thunder).

I run two black threat in my forest nazgul deck, and he's just awesome. After playing 4 nazguls, then u play WK for 0 and enquea for 1... how cool is that?

I don't see how a toil minion could be the worst version of it... enquea from RoS or Age's End are obviously the worst ones.

October 10, 2009, 02:12:30 PM
Reply #67

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »

I am going to bring this topic back. Gandalf, Mithrandir is one of my favorite [Gandalf] cards, especially with Sent Back and Moment of Respite. It's like Decipher thought, let's just make this guy even better over the course of the next few sets!
-wtk

October 23, 2009, 04:28:53 PM
Reply #68

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »
stout and sturdy (1C315) in answer to gloin's question from page 1
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:41:31 PM by jdizzy001 »
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

October 25, 2009, 05:27:11 PM
Reply #69

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
well, no one else was stepping up to plate.  I figured better late than never :ninja:
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

April 06, 2018, 02:25:46 PM
Reply #70

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »
Reviving old topics is the best! I'll take into account how good cards are in sealed as well, so they won't all be the commons.

Gimli, Lively Combatant. Could be used in an initiative losing deck, but Memories of Darkness is banned. To be fair, there's rarely a reason to use anyone other than BoG or Feared Axeman
Arwen, Evenstar of her People. Just bad, though I'd rarely use Elven Rider. Or Echo of Luthien.
Legolas, Companion of the Ring. Though Fleet Footed Hunter is bad, he is how Hunters should have been-lose a strength point for the keyword, so I forgive him.
Gandalf, The Grey Wizard. Completely outclassed by the others in Fellowship Block and the other Gandalf Signets outside. It is hard to use Mithrandir, though.
Smeagol, Old Noser. Outclassed by Poor Creature. Though so is Hurried Guide.
Aragorn, Well-Traveled Guide. All Aragorns have their uses, but I would never use this one. The cards that make him ok lose to Wormtongue. A tough decision, though as has obvious potential.
Boromir, Destined Guide. Worse than the ARB without a ring! I don't like Doomed Heir, but at least you can have fun with him. Also, I prefer DoMT and HttWC over KiE and LoG in Fellowship Block, so Lord of Gondor comes close.
Faramir, Prince of Ithilien. Stout Captain at least got Ranger (and a totally unnecessary spotting requirement)
Eomer, Rohirrim Captain. Other bad Eomers exist, but this guy is rare and worse than TMotR. SSoT is actually payable in set 4 only where Dunland rules, though deserved Valiant.
Eowyn, Lady of the Mark. Useless.
Theoden, Son of Thengel. Lowest vitality of all companions is bad, so it has to be a Towers Block one. I prefer the other two.
Bilbo, Retired Adventurer. A detriment to your deck. I hate cards that do this (him and Grimir). If you fill your deck with FP cards, you will draw them when your opponent strolls to 9 with their FP. You want to be drawing Shadow cards late game.
Frodo, Resolute Hobbit. I know he's really popular, but I never played him. Use Courteous Halfling or Little Master instead-the text is well worth two resistance. By the way, Towers Block has no discard at all, so if you play Courteous Halfling, at least use Mind Your Own Affairs.
Merry, Unquenchable Hobbit. I prefer the common Learned Guide, and Swordthain is better as an archery soak. Not a fan of Resolute Friend, though.
Pippin, Mr. Took. Bad.
Sam, Loyal Friend. A worse and harder to obtain GEW. Frodo's Gardener and Faithful Companion are pretty bad, but at least have a Signet.

I hate being negative, but the thread pretty much demands it. Lots of set 19 in there. Some cards were great (Wise Guide, Smeagol and Gollum), others not.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:37:47 PM by Legion »

April 07, 2018, 05:45:44 AM
Reply #71

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2018, 05:45:44 AM »
Gimli, Lively Combatant - This is just not very helpful. Feared Axeman + A Clamour of Many Voices would be better.

Arwen, Reflection of Luthien - most versions of Arwen have innate strength boosts, but you have to pay for this one (Compare with Lord of the Glittering Caves). Forest bonus is weak, Staunch Defender is preferable. At least Evenstar of Her People can exert allies.

Legolas, Nimble Warrior - I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before. Any other Legolas is either a better archer or a better fighter. Signet is bad.

Gandalf, Stormcrow - I know it's a LOTRO promo, but this card serves no purpose.

Aragorn, Swift Hunter - Most versions of Aragorn are pretty good. Guide and Protector works well with Powerful Guide. Well-Traveled Guide works well with otherwise solo RBs (just use Flame of the West, Coat of Mail and Pathfinder). Swift Hunter on the other hand is just very bland.

Boromir, Destined Guide - There is nothing this Boromir can do that BoC can't do better.

Faramir, Stout Captain - Spotting requirement, bad signet and bad ability.

Eomer, Eored Leader - I don't know what this is supposed to be good for. Your opponent will know immediately what you want to do.

Eowyn, Lady of the Mark - She makes Restless Warrior look good.

Theoden, Leader of Spears - naturally this has better statistics than a Towers Theoden, but the ability and signet are awful. I only see this in Sealed.

Frodo, Master of the Precious - At 2 burdens per use, this just seems a lot worse than I would like it to be. There are cheaper ways to recall Smeagol. Frodo has a lot of bad versions though.

Merry, The Tall One - I can't control whether my opponent has hunters, and other versions of Merry have better strength boosts at this stage.

Pippin, Mr. Took - I almost always summon both of these guys. Though The Short One is also bad.

Sam, Frodo's Gardener - why would I want to do this?
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

April 08, 2018, 02:15:41 PM
Reply #72

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2018, 02:15:41 PM »
Gimli, Lockbearer - I've always felt Lockbearer is nothing more than a worse version of Gimli, Faithful Companion. In TT he's pushed out by Aragorn and the need to keep under 4 cultures and 6 companions for Dauntless Hunter decks, and the amount of Hobbits needed to make him better than Lord of the Glittering Caves in WotR and on doesn't seem effective (though admittedly, it could be a fun deck). My honorable mention goes to Counter of Foes, who would be awesome if he could be used with Feared Axeman. Gimli's Armor and Dwarven Bracers do some work and an "Enduring" Dwarf is neat, but it seems so fragile so late in the game's lifespan.

EDIT: I mistook Lively Combatant for Faithful Companion originally. Lively Combatant is probably worse than Counter of Foes, but at least he fills a niche. I'm comfortable with my Lockbearer vote :P

Arwen, Elven Rider - The only place I can imagine using her is in Fellowship facing Twilight Nazgul, in which case Daughter of Elrond seems much better for the job. It is neat that her ability can stack with Mithril-coat (unlike most armors, which are null with wound prevention), but other than a round-about way of cycling I don't see her as useful. A little surprised that Evenstar of Her People is mentioned. With ally Elrond and Galadriel alone she's a free -3 each turn, I use her in all TT decks with an Arwen. Lady Undomiel is much harder to use past Fellowship Block, in my opinion. I'd use Echo of Luthien primarily as a better (though less free) version of Smeagol, Poor Creature.

Legolas, Fleet-footed Hunter - His lack of the Archer keyword makes him so much worse than Of the Woodland Realm, nevermind that the two abilities are leagues apart. Even considering his rarity, I don't see him being often better than Companion of the Ring. Nimble Warrior is certainly bad, though. Could've been cool if there were any way to remove threats in Archery or if Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon added to the Archery total at 1 threat, but as it stands it's hard to use to gain very little.

Gandalf, Stormcrow - As pointless as I think The Grey Wizard is, Stormcrow has absolutely no place in any deck. At least I could dream up a reason to use The Grey Wizard.

Smeagol, Hurried Guide - I'm not surprised to see Old Noser mentioned, but I think he's just misunderstood. Hurried Guide is simply a (much, much) worse version of Poor Creature in decks without buffs for Smeagol, and decks with buffs would be far better served by nearly any other Smeagol. Honorable mention goes to Wretched and Hungry, who is a (much, much) worse version of Pitiable Guide. A resistance boost to the RB is what keeps him above Hurried Guide.

Aragorn, Guide and Protector - Most Aragorns are good and none are outright useless. Still, as was mentioned years ago, the "skirmishing" restriction is hard to get around. If you're playing an event in Aragorn's skirmish, you probably don't need to bother wounding that minion anyways. Swift Hunter is markedly worse than Heir to the Throne of Gondor and Thorongil (duh), but he's also not rare and can buff the Ring-bearer with The Ring of Doom. Isildur's Heir seems tricky to use, too, but I'd be more tempted to build a deck around him than Guide and Protector. Who is he protecting with that ability, anyway? Himself?

Boromir, Destined Guide - Yeah, I really want to envision a world where the Fellowship keyword is worth having and starting Boromir, Merry, and Pippin is something worth doing. The fact that Bearer of Council can bear the Ring shoots him up pretty high in my opinion, even if he is one of the less worthwhile Ring-bearers. As a non-Ring-bearer, I'd say Bearer of Council is actually worse because, while his ability is better, there's no point in using him. Exertions on Hobbits are nearly free, so it's a (justified) lore restriction in my mind. Destined Guide gets style points, but is still the loser here.

Faramir, Stout Captain - I'm a little biased against Stout Captain because his picture is clearly of a knight, and yet he's a ranger. The spot requirement makes starting with him incredibly difficult for no reason I can see, and the easiest ways to enable rangers to win skirmishes usually come with damage bonuses. At least Prince of Ithilien gets an easy Defender bonus.

Eomer, Heir to Meduseld - Eomer is one of my favorite companions (since Rohan is my favorite culture), so I may have an unpopular pick but I stand by it. I've always felt the damage bonuses on Rohan were highly unnecessary, and the strength bonus (What, +3 in most cases?) is just not worth having. Rohan can do big fellowships without much trouble, but even then +6 (gotta save a spot for Merry's Sword) shouldn't be the best you could do. In my opinion, there's a better version in Valiant Warchief: he cycles terrifically (bonus for me, but some people see it as a burden), can actually start with a useful companion, and is a Valiant companion for Valiant companions. Plus he can spot himself. Eored Captain has similar issues as a Third Marshal of Riddermark that you can hardly start with (Hurray for Aldred or Swordthain, I guess), but Valiant is underrated, doggone it! Forthwith Banished is abundantly easy to start with, but it's hard to imagine why it's necessary. I like Eored Leader's swarm-proof-edness, I think if nothing else he could be fun to use. I think Rohirrim Captain and Sister-son of Theoden are grossly misunderstood (especially Rohirrim Captain - so good!) and Sister-son of Theoden absolutely deserved Valiant. Lots of opinions on Eomer, haha.

Eowyn, Lady of the Mark - Not much contest, though I've always thought Willing Fighter, Shieldmaiden of Rohan, and Restless Warrior had limited uses if all Eowyns are available.

Theoden, Ednew - Full disclosure, I really didn't want to pick Son of Thengel (I think he's misunderstood, too. Also, he should've been valiant). Still, I stand behind my decision fully. Ednew's bonuses are just worse versions of bonuses he can get other ways. Again, I don't see the point of a damage bonus and The Renowned has that same effect with other, actually useful effects. Would rather have King of the Eorlingas' strength boost, though I appreciate the spot cost. If you're using him with Gandalf, you'd want King of the Eorlingas again. No easier to start with than any of those guys, either.

Bilbo, Retired Adventurer - Not a terrible card (can be healed by Fellowship versions of Elrond, which is neat if nothing else), but by far the worst Bilbo. I'm only now building my first deck to include him.

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit - Wicked Masster! got some hate earlier, but he's one of my favorite copies of Frodo. Expensive, yes, and worthless outside of King Block (unlike every other copy of Frodo), but wounding a minion in a pinch is sometimes exactly what it takes to win a game. Add it to a Hobbit Hospital deck (or anything with a burden removal engine) and his text, in my opinion, is more valuable than most other Frodos available for that site path. I'm with Legion here, 2 extra resistance looks better than it is. No corruption deck is only going to be able to put 10 burdens down, and once you're past 5 you're in rough waters regardless. Honorable mention goes to Son of Drogo, my initial pick. Exerting someone else to heal Frodo is usually the opposite of what players want to do, but decks which can use him are interesting.

Merry, Unquenchable Hobbit - So, so situational. I wouldn't ever put this guy in a deck until RotK, when [Sauron] Orcs have minions fearsome enough to try maneuvering around. Honorable mention for Impatient Hobbit, who I guess could have some interesting recursion healing at least (whether or not it's worth the deck space). This version of Merry may be the only one worse than his correlating Pippin (Well, Resolute Friend has stiff competition).

Pippin, Hastiest of All - Oh, Pippin. It was not until much later that anyone at Decipher cared very much for you at all. By the time recursion of this guy is worth trying to achieve, the effect is no longer worth achieving. Mr. Took clocks in at a close second (he was my initial pick), and Friend to Frodo (may take some heat for this one) would be third for me.

Sam, Steadfast Friend - The only copy of Sam totally ineligible of bearing The One Ring. The resistance boost is interesting, I'll grant, but that's all you got? Loyal Friend is a lame discounted version of Great Elf Warrior, but I'd still pick him over Steadfast Friend in any deck with Frodo as the Ring-bearer. Alternate Ring-bearers shouldn't waste a companion slot on so little.

Good eye, Legion! Excellent topic to bring back to the forefront! I'd like to have another run at this one for support characters and Shadow characters from the movies when I've got the time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:35:41 PM by Phallen Cassidy »

November 18, 2018, 05:20:56 AM
Reply #73

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2018, 05:20:56 AM »
Nazgul!

The Witch-king, Black Lord The Witch-king, Lord of Angmar - After seeing some of the WotR cards that have nice synergy with Black Lord, I've changed to an even more controversial opinion. We all know that Deathless Lord is the worst version of WK, but hear me out: Deathless Lord came in a Two Towers starter. He's practically a common while all other WKs are rare (Well, Dark Lord is Ages End). In my mind, that fills a niche--there's a reason players would use him. It's true that he's a great pull in Fellowship block. However, he's so dang boring. The text may as well be blank. After the release of Fell Beast is there ever really a reason to pick him over any other version? I expect most of you to disagree, but in all the games I've played I find the bonus is so inconsequential so often even Deathless Lord might have more utility.

Ulaire Attea, Desirous of Power - It's rare, it's in Hunters Block, and it's awful. The amount of twilight needed to make him better than any of the other twilight-focused Atteas is downright insulting.

Ulaire Nelya, Fell Rider - A lot of bad versions of Nelya. Worst of the set 7 initiative Nazgul and worst of the set 8 Enduring Nazgul, in my haughty opinion. He's rarely better than any Cantea and his stats alone are unimpressive. Yes, Third of the Nine Riders is essential site manipulation for Forestguls, but I don't count that as a good thing. Fell Rider demands a three-card combo to be useful to any degree, and his ability has to be used after all the phases that will wound/exert him. Nice idea, terrible execution.

Ulaire Cantea, Fourth of the Nine Riders - A lot of good versions of Cantea. Gets points for rarity, but the competition here is too tough for being turned into an occasional slightly discounted Attea or Toldea with no text. Maybe some versions of Cantea should've been given to poor Nelya instead.

Ulaire Lemenya, Winged Hunter - As with Lieutenant of Morgul, he's usually either useless or redundant. The best he can do is discard some possessions on a companion (something you don't need to do when he can't even put a wound on the weakest Nazgul) and let the companion come back fully healed next site (something you don't want to do). Bad timing too, since he comes out in the same block as Rohan which makes activating his ability even less likely. Decipher released just 4 Nazgul in The Two Towers--why are 3 of them so awful? Wraith on Wings is easier to use for basically the same thing, though I admit the cost is greater.

Ulaire Enquea, Faster than Winds - Dark Threat is just a worse version of Shotgun Enquea, but this guy is even worse than that.

Ulaire Otsea, Ringwraith in Twilight - He's twilight... and that's about all he's got going for him. Easy choice for me when looking at all copies of him.

Ulaire Toldea, Eighth of the Nine Riders - You'd always rather have Third of the Nine Riders, wouldn't you? I mean, I guess you can have an extra forest on the site path for Lost in the Woods, but I still don't see how this guy gets to be better than Dark Shadow (my next pick).

Ulaire Nertea, Thrall of the One - Tough call here between this guy and Winged Hunter. Still, his text seems fairly pointless even if he is one of the fierce & enduring Nazgul. Winged Hunter is bad, make no mistake, but saved by the fact that the only Ring-bound companion for many decks is the Ring-bearer and that 3 cultures is otherwise safe and thus fairly reliable to see.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:24:50 AM by Phallen Cassidy »

April 06, 2019, 07:16:18 AM
Reply #74

mathes

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2019, 07:16:18 AM »
Not to defend every card, but:
Aragorn, Swift Hunter- I'm not really familiar with.  Seems he might be alright.  3 vitality and can work on himself.  I used to use Heir of Elendil because he was auto Defender +1 and Swordarm of the White Tower.  

Thank you!

The Aragorn, Heir of Elendil was so great in two towers standard. Gandalf's signet was good for Trust me as you once did shenanigans and the Swordarm of the White Tower was pretty dang good with that Aragorn.

Also the fact he was defender+1 by default was great bcs of bow and moria - he often took down three orcs with bow, to take two more down in the skirmish.

He was nothing short of great and should be given the credit he deserves!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:18:40 AM by mathes »