LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Stacked Slaked Thirsts  (Read 3217 times)

March 11, 2009, 04:27:03 PM
Read 3217 times

Bombadil

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Stacked Slaked Thirsts
« on: March 11, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »
Hi people!
Ive been thinking about this and Im really confused...

If Slaked Thirsts is stacked on a [Dwarven] condition, using it is playing an event or using a special ability?
I think that if it is playing an event you would need to pay its cost, but for using the special ability, wouldnt...
Im not sure, but, as there is no way to be able to play events stacked on conditions (Sindri, Dwarven Lord works only with skirmish events, and the card itself doesnt say that it can be played from conditions), it should be a special ability... :-k but it should have a bold 'maneuver:' on it then... Maybe its text makes it able to be played...
Is there a clear rulling on that?
Just to remember: this card has a clarification on its game text (but it wasnt clear enough for me  :P)

Thanks everyone in advance!  :up:

Bombadil.

March 11, 2009, 04:42:53 PM
Reply #1

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Stacked Slaked Thirsts
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »
i've always thought that you don't need to pay the cost if it is stacked, but i could be wrong.

March 11, 2009, 05:02:15 PM
Reply #2

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »
Thought it'd be playing an event, but from a stacked card (similar to how a stacked minion can be played from a site). Still have to check requirements, pay costs, etc.

March 11, 2009, 05:04:24 PM
Reply #3

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 05:04:24 PM »
Think of it as an extension of your hand, the stacked card is played as if from hand, so pay the costs, meet the requirements and voila
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

March 11, 2009, 06:32:52 PM
Reply #4

Bombadil

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
If it is played as if from hand, why does it say "discard this event to"...?
 :-k
Probably its like Eye of Barad-Dur: "The text "discard this card to" is superfluous."
I want to be sure about that because Id like to know if I could use Final Strike to cancel it :mrgreen:
But it looks like its not a special ability after all... :(

March 12, 2009, 02:14:51 AM
Reply #5

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 02:14:51 AM »
It for sure isnt like being played from hand you dont pay the cost or 'play' the card. Discarding is the only thing you have to do and as has been pointed out it doesnt have a bold phase. However it is a maneuver action and the later cards have the bolded phase moved to the centre bar below the picture. If it was old style it would read Maneuever: If this card is stacked discard it to exert a minion twice...

So i say final strike could cancel it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:16:57 AM by lem0nhead »
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

March 12, 2009, 02:21:28 AM
Reply #6

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 02:21:28 AM »
I don't think Final Strike has any effect. It's a maneuver event no matter where it's played from. When you play it from your condition, I think you pay the cost and follow all the normal rules for events except that you haven't played it from your hand.

The errata is this:

Choose one: Spot a Dwarf to draw a card; or, if this card is stacked on a [Dwarven] condition, spot a Dwarf companion and discard this event to exert a minion twice.

This suggests to me the same format as other "choose one" events like Introspection. It means that both abilities essentially say "Maneuver:" before them and I think it's an event both times. The clarification "discard this event" is just to make its play clearer.

Thranduil

March 12, 2009, 03:53:21 AM
Reply #7

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:53:21 AM »
Actually Thrans comment clarified something for me, i was assuming because it was stacked it became a special ability but at the end of the day its still an event card. I was looking at it like it had to be either an event or a special ability. It doesnt have to be either. As Thran says final strike probably wont do anything cos its an event not an ability and its not being played. Its what you might call a grey area, not being one thing or another.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

March 12, 2009, 05:32:17 AM
Reply #8

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:32:17 AM »
  Yeah, sorry Bombadil, but gollum will die  :twisted:

In fact it's not an special ability and i think you just have to discard it without pating it's cost cause you don't "play" it you just discard to get an effect, like when you discard Rohirrim Shield to heal a companion at regroup phase (although that one is a special ability).