LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Forearmed but not Forgiven: how to make your friend hate you in LOTR TCG (Freep)  (Read 10423 times)

March 15, 2009, 04:55:32 PM
Read 10423 times

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
So I made this deck a while back, and have been having a lot of fun playing it, even if it only works about 50% of the time.  It's really just too combo-oriented, and so I'd like suggestions on how to make it more efficient.  Thanks.

34 cards

Ringbearer: Galadriel BoW
Ring: The Binding Ring

Glorfindel RiW (Starting)
Shrouded Elf (Starting)

Companions:

Gandalf TWH x1
Gandal TWW x3
Dasron MfD x2
Celeborn TW x1
Host of Fangorn x2
Ent Horde x1

Artifacts/Possessions:

Nenya ROA x2
Banner of Elbereth x2
Asfaloth SB x1

Events:

Forearmed x4
Inside a Song x2
Borne Far Away x1
On Your Doorstep x3
Sleep Caradhras x1

Conditions:

Strength of Arms x2
Uncertain Future x1
Sent Back x2

Allies:

Elrond KOV x1

Site Path
Caras Galadhon
Old Forest Road
West Gate of Moria
(every other site is really optional)

Okay, this deck really, REALLY depends on the opening draw, and even with a good draw, it's going to be very vulnerable for the first couple sites.  A copy of Forearmed, one of the ent companions, Banner of Elbereth, and the Shrouded Elf are absolutely essential, along with either one Nenya or On Your Doorstep.  Once you have Shrouded Elf with a banner out, and Ent Horde on top of you draw deck, you're pretty much set.  That right there provides two -15 events a turn, and, when fighting Nazgul Glorfindel has a built in Forearmed.

When you start winning skirmishes (pretty easy with negative strength minions), tokens on Strength of Arms convert into copies of On Your Doorstep to get ents back on top of your draw deck (using Dasron).  On Your Doorstep can also get Forearmed back, which is drawable immediately with Elrond.  Minions with nasty effects can be discarded with Sent Back, and Gandalf can get important companions back by trading them for an ent with Borne Far AwayAsfaloth provides shrouded elf with healing, which can also be provided with Nenya, and Celeborn can help move on by getting a forearmed back.

Weaknesses:  The first two or three moves with this deck are usually fairly vulnerable, and that's where I usually have problems.  Once this deck sets up, it tends to destroy during the skirmish phase, but is still vulnerable to anything that discards events or the top card of freeps draw deck.

I really haven't found a good minion side for this deck yet, because I need something with big minions (high twilight cost), but that can afford to sacrifice cards to get my freeps moving.  I'm thinking condition-based nazgul, but I'm not sure.

When commenting, not that I don't play with anything past Bloodlines, so don't suggest Galadriel's ewer.  I already know it would work great, but I don't have it or want it.  Thanks.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

March 15, 2009, 05:48:11 PM
Reply #1

GarrisonofGondor

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Let the armies of Mordor know this....
 Love Forarmed decks ;D :up: Elrond, Witness to History is also good. Pair this with Sauron and Balgy. :twisted:
"Never Again, will the land of my people, fall into enemy hands! For Gondor! For Gondor! For Gondor!

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=426.120

March 15, 2009, 10:19:50 PM
Reply #2

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
sorry, Gandalf The White Rider.

I would stock Elrond, but Shrouded Elf does essentially the same thing, and I like the Elrond ally
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

March 16, 2009, 01:11:59 AM
Reply #3

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
maybe add Gildor Inglorian (14R4) instead of Glorfindel, Gildor would help with the early site moves
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

March 18, 2009, 12:18:00 PM
Reply #4

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
I only play pre-Hunters...sorry.  And my main problem is with people being overwhelmed early.  Someone pulls a Witchking (or a Castamir with Raider's Halberd) and I lose a key companion.

I don't know if Gildor would help against that or not.

-Dave Barry

March 19, 2009, 12:22:10 AM
Reply #5

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
gildor is pre hunters :D
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

March 19, 2009, 07:06:52 AM
Reply #6

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
what about Arwen, Evenstar of Her People she could keep herself alive theoretically

March 19, 2009, 06:18:13 PM
Reply #7

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
well, then I guess I'll go with what I said in the first post: "When commenting, not(e) that I don't play with anything past Bloodlines".  I don't know exactly what set Gildor's from, but I do know 14 is higher than 13. :-)

I originally started with Glorfindel and Dasron, but the deck was really having trouble with setting up, so then I went to Glorfindel and Shrouded Elf.  I pretty much have to keep Galadriel as ring-bearer to have any swarm protection, so that rounds out my starting companions.  Thanks for the Arwen suggestion, but with Gandy and Dasron out, I've met my five companion limit, and without manuever protection I can't go higher than that.

-Dave Barry

March 21, 2009, 12:31:24 AM
Reply #8

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
I would use Gandalf, Manager of Wizards.
IMHO

If you ever decide to do anything with post hunters, Back To The Light is always good.

What about Elrond, Venerable Lord?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:32:58 AM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

March 22, 2009, 05:09:30 PM
Reply #9

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
I knew a guy who ran a related deck with Gandalf MoW, Glimpse of Fate and The Witch King, but I don't have the Gandalf...that's why I had to resort to other means...

And I don't understand how I could use the Elrond.  Ents are Wizard race.

-Dave Barry

March 22, 2009, 05:19:14 PM
Reply #10

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
This is where Orc Warrior comes in handy....

March 23, 2009, 03:46:13 AM
Reply #11

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
For your bad side try moving this way nazgul with like Ulaire Nelya, Black Hunter And Dark Powers Strengthen  or an uruk deck with Strange device

May 01, 2009, 08:25:47 PM
Reply #12

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
well, I'm putting the stopper on this one.  Without Gandalf, Manager of Wizards it's just too hard of a combo to pull off.  I keep getting shadow killed.

-Dave Barry

June 08, 2010, 05:09:34 AM
Reply #14

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
you have that entire deck foiled?!?!?!?!