LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Tales of Mad Baggins: A Miniset and a Goodbye....  (Read 2985 times)

May 28, 2009, 04:05:48 PM
Read 2985 times

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
Tales of Mad Baggins: A Miniset and a Goodbye....
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:05:48 PM »
Alright, well I swore to never leave CobraCards/TLHH until I had posted a complete DC set.
If Decipher figures they can get out of making a set by making it only a few cards, well... here's my eighteen card set.
Honestly, I actually have a ton more graphical DCs that make up more than a set, but I don't have the time to type them out. I'll be typing up a bit more of a farewell and explanation to post in the Council of Cobra, but for what it's worth, here's an eighteen card farewell set: TALES OF MAD BAGGINS: A Miniset and Goodbye
Some of the cards reference other ideas I had, some of them reference other cards I've made.... some of them are part of a long series of cards which worked out fairly well (ie, Mad Baggins.) Some of them, I'm pretty sure I've posted before.

The One Ring, Weapon of the Enemy [Ring]
Str +3
Res -1
While wearing the One Rine, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
Maneuver: Exert bearer to wear the One Ring until the regroup phase.

DWARVEN

[6] *Durin I, The Deathless [Dwarven]
Companion – Dwarf
Str 9
Vit 5
Res 8
Damage +1. Muster.
Durin I is strength +1 for each artifact and possession he bears, and strength -2 for each other companion you can spot (except the ring-bearer).
At the start of each of your turns, you may exert Durin I to play a Free Peoples card from your draw deck, then add [X], where X is that card's twilight cost.
"‘…When Durin woke and walked alone….'"

ELVEN

[4] *Elros Half-Elven, Star-Foam [Elven]
Companion – Man – Elf
Str 7
Vit 3
Res 7
While Elros Half-Elven is in your starting fellowship, he is twilight cost -2.
While you can spot another elf, each other man is strength +1.
While you can spot another man, each other elf is strength +1.

GANDALF

[4] *Alatar, The Blue [Gandalf]
Companion – Wizard
Str 7
Vit 4
Res 6
While Alatar is in your starting Fellowship, he is twilight cost -2.
Skirmish: Exert Alatar to make a minion he is skirmishing strength -1.

[2] *Alatar's Staff, Token of Authority [Gandalf]
Artifact – Staff
Str +1
Res +1
Bearer must be Alatar. He gains muster.
At the start of each turn, you may add a threat to heal Alatar or Pallando.

GONDOR

[4] *Anarion, King of Arnor [Gondor]
Companion – Man
Str 8
Vit 3
Res 7
Knight.
When you play Anarion, you may discard a Shadow condition.
Skirmish: If Anarion is skirmishing, play a skirmish event and remove a [Gondor] token to heal Anarion.

[2] *Firiel, Elven-Fair [Gondor]
Companion – Man
Str 4
Vit 3
Res 7
To play, spot a [Gondor] or [Elven] companion.
Fellowship: Exert Firiel and remove two [Gondor] or [Elven] tokens to remove a burden.
Skirmish: Play a skirmish event to make Firiel strength +1 until the regroup phase.
Regroup: Remove a [Gondor] or [Elven] token to heal Firiel.
"‘Do you hear the call, Earth-Maiden?'"

[2] *This Day We Fight [Gondor]
Condition – Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot a [Gondor] companion to add X [Gondor] tokens here, where X is that companion's resistance.
Maneuver: Remove 3 [Gondor] tokens here to make an unbound companion strength +3 (and defender +1 if that companion is a [Gondor] companion) until the regroup phase.
"‘I bid you stand, Men of the West!'"

[6] Visions in Dreams [Gondor]
Event – Maneuver
Toil 1.
Spot a unique [Gondor] man to reveal the top three cards of your draw deck. For each shadow card revealed, you may exert that man to make him defender +1 and cannot take wounds until the regroup phase. Discard the revealed cards.
"‘A dream: I saw the eastern sky grow dark… voices were crying….'"

[4] White Tree's Flower [Gondor]
Event – Skirmish
Make a [Gondor] companion strength +4 and remove a threat.

MEN

[1] Allies of the Dark Lord [Men]
Event – Shadow
Spot a [Men] minion and discard a [Men] card from hand to add a threat. Add an additional threat for each companion over four.

[5] *Variag of Khand, Warrior of the Far East [Men]
Minion – Man
Str 10
Vit 3
Site6
Damage +1. Fierce.
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, you may exert him to make the Free Peoples player wound a companion for each Free Peoples condition you can spot (limit 4.)

ROHAN

[5] *Eomer, Fell King [Rohan]
Companion – Man
Str 10
Vit 5
Res 2
Damage +1. Enduring. Valiant.
At the start of each skirmish involving Eomer, wound him.
Skirmish: Exert Eomer.

[3] To Hope's End [Rohan]
Event – Skirmish
Make a [Rohan] companion strength +3 and damage +1.
You may make that companion resistance 0 until the end of the turn to heal that companion.
"‘I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing….'"

SAURON

[1][8] *Sauron, Bane of Numenor [Sauron]
Minion – Maia
Str 18
Vit 5
Site6
Corrupted. (This minion may be played regardless of unique Free Peoples cards.) Lurker.
Sauron is twilight cost –X, where X is the highest resistance you can spot.
Sauron is strength +X, where X is the lowest resistance you can spot.
Maneuver: Exert Sauron twice to add a burden or make all corrupted minions strength +4 (limit +4.)
"‘Be glad, men of Numenor, for I will take thy king to be my king, and the world shall be given into his hand.'"

SHIRE

[2] *Bilbo, Mad Baggins [Shire]
Companion – Hobbit
Str 8
Vit 4
Res 8
Ring-bound.
Each time the Fellowship moves, add [2] or discard Bilbo.
"‘I do believe that mad Baggins is off again!'"

WRAITH

[1](0) *The Mewlips, Haunt of the Mashes [Wraith]
Minion
Str 14
Vit 5
Site8
Damage +1. Toil 2.
To play, spot three burdens.
The fellowship's current site gains marsh.
While you can spot no other minions, The Mewlips are strength +10, damage +1 and fierce.
"The shadows where the Mewlips dwell / Are dark and black as ink, / And slow and softly rings their bell, / As in the slime you sink."

[8] Ulaire Attea, Khamul [Wraith]
Minion – Nazgul
Str 14
Vit 3
Site3
Easterling. Fierce.
When you play Ulaire Attea, you may remove two threats to make the Free Peoples player wound the Ring-bearer or add a burden.
Skirmish: Exert Ulaire Attea to make another Easterling or corrupted minion gain fierce until the regroup phase.

================

[4] Agent Drake, Now Departing [Cobra]
Follower
Aid: Spot a tale, reference to mythology, or anything else at all related to the early Germanic Middle Ages.
Bearer gains eccentric (In any dispute dealing with mythology or legends, bearer wins by default.)
"'Don't worry. My psychiatrist says I'm not dangerous... unless you refer to Shakespeare as 'Old English' within my earshot.'"
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

May 29, 2009, 02:39:04 PM
Reply #1

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: Tales of Mad Baggins: A Miniset and a Goodbye....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
Alright, well I swore to never leave CobraCards/TLHH until I had posted a complete DC set.
If Decipher figures they can get out of making a set by making it only a few cards, well... here's my eighteen card set.
Honestly, I actually have a ton more graphical DCs that make up more than a set, but I don't have the time to type them out. I'll be typing up a bit more of a farewell and explanation to post in the Council of Cobra, but for what it's worth, here's an eighteen card farewell set: TALES OF MAD BAGGINS: A Miniset and Goodbye
Some of the cards reference other ideas I had, some of them reference other cards I've made.... some of them are part of a long series of cards which worked out fairly well (ie, Mad Baggins.) Some of them, I'm pretty sure I've posted before.

Str +3
Res -1
While wearing the One Rine, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
fine.

DWARVEN

Companion – Dwarf
Str 9
Vit 5
Res 8
Damage +1. Muster.
Durin I is strength +1 for each artifact and possession he bears, and strength -2 for each other companion you can spot (except the ring-bearer).
At the start of each of your turns, you may exert Durin I to play a Free Peoples card from your draw deck, then add [X], where X is that card's twilight cost.
should the -2 be a separate line? he could perhaps be 4...just cause of the drawback texts. and the wicked possibilities ;) 

ELVEN

Companion – Man – Elf
Str 7
Vit 3
Res 7
foam? I'd prefer resistance +1 personally.

GANDALF

Companion – Wizard
Str 7
Vit 4
Res 6
fine.

Artifact – Staff
Str +1
Res +1
  and no pallando :'( though its obvious what format he'd follow

GONDOR

Companion – Man
Str 8
Vit 3
Res 7
Knight.
Skirmish: If Anarion is skirmishing, play a skirmish event and remove a [Gondor] token to heal Anarion.
fine. 

Companion – Man
Str 4
Vit 3
Res 7
Fellowship: Exert Firiel and remove two [Gondor] or [Elven] tokens to remove a burden.
Skirmish: Play a skirmish event to make Firiel strength +1 until the regroup phase.
"‘Do you hear the call, Earth-Maiden?'"[/i
fine. ]

Condition – Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot a [Gondor] companion to add X [Gondor] tokens here, where X is that companion's resistance.
Maneuver: Remove 3 [Gondor] tokens here to make an unbound companion strength +3 (and defender +1 if that companion is a [Gondor] companion) until the regroup phase.
now this might be too powerful...you could easily start off with 6 tokens...and with guarded city plus loaded borormir.  Maybe add an exertion into the maneuver effect.

Event – Maneuver
Toil 1.
Spot a unique [Gondor] man to reveal the top three cards of your draw deck. For each shadow card revealed, you may exert that man to make him defender +1 and cannot take wounds until the regroup phase. Discard the revealed cards.
up toil to 2, cut cost to 4.

Event – Skirmish
3 twilight would be fine. possibly even 2

MEN

Event – Shadow
Spot a [Men] minion and discard a [Men] card from hand to add a threat. Add an additional threat for each companion over four.
yeah! war tower reprint! I luv that card.

Minion – Man
Str 10
Vit 3
Site6
Damage +1. Fierce.
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, you may exert him to make the Free Peoples player wound a companion for each Free Peoples condition you can spot (limit 4.)
fine.

ROHAN

Companion – Man
Str 10
Vit 5
Res 2
now that is an interesting ability, especially because you could do it infinite times once he was exhausted...I don't think it would trigger with anything though

Event – Skirmish
You may make that companion resistance 0 until the end of the turn to heal that companion.
2 twilight would be fine.

SAURON

Minion – Maia
Str 18
Vit 5
Site6
Corrupted. (This minion may be played regardless of unique Free Peoples cards.) Lurker.
Maneuver: Exert Sauron twice to add a burden or make all corrupted minions strength +4 (limit +4.)
"‘Be glad, men of Numenor, for I will take thy king to be my king, and the world shall be given into his hand.'"
you have a freeps sauron? again, I'd prefer his normal stats, though with the twilight reduction that could be too powerful...also cut the manuever ability. 

SHIRE

Companion – Hobbit
Str 8
Vit 4
Res 8
Ring-bound.
now THAT is kewl.

WRAITH

Minion
Str 14
Vit 5
Site8
Damage +1. Toil 2.
While you can spot no other minions, The Mewlips are strength +10, damage +1 and fierce.
"The shadows where the Mewlips dwell / Are dark and black as ink, / And slow and softly rings their bell, / As in the slime you sink."
toil 2, yet benefit from no other minions.  Thats certainly an interesting combination? and site 8? where do these guys occur storywise?

Minion – Nazgul
Str 14
Vit 3
Site3
Easterling. Fierce.
When you play Ulaire Attea, you may remove two threats to make the Free Peoples player wound the Ring-bearer or add a burden.
Skirmish: Exert Ulaire Attea to make another Easterling or corrupted minion gain fierce until the regroup phase.
I can't remember how corrupted works...and now you won't be around to tell me...:( nvm...just looked up a bit ;) I don't like the witch king like stats, it seems like he should stay at 12.

================

Follower
Aid: Spot a tale, reference to mythology, or anything else at all related to the early Germanic Middle Ages.
Bearer gains eccentric (In any dispute dealing with mythology or legends, bearer wins by default.)
"'Don't worry. My psychiatrist says I'm not dangerous... unless you refer to Shakespeare as 'Old English' within my earshot.'"
is this an actual quote?
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 30, 2009, 06:18:23 PM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »
Str +3
Res -1
The One Rine? One Rine to rule them all? I didn't know LotR was about a European river... ;) Otherwise, seems fine.

Companion – Dwarf
Str 9
Vit 5
Res 8
Damage +1. Muster.
Awesomely cool. I don't think he needs the drawback for adding an extra [X], I think he's fine (and awesome!) without it.

Companion – Man – Elf
Str 7
Vit 3
Res 7
I think his title should be like Elrond's, ie. just "Elros". Very cool all round - no complaints. Perhaps he could be a knight as well?

Companion – Wizard
Str 7
Vit 4
Res 6
I think I'd rather his subtitle was of the Gandalf/Radagast ilk, ie. "The Blue Wizard", but otherwise seems fairly fine, but I'm not sure about the blanket cost reduction. Perhaps if you spot another [Gandalf] Wizard?

Artifact – Staff
Str +1
Res +1
Okay, this seems like a real shame to take up a slot that could otherwise be filled with "Pallando, The Blue Wizard" - you should definitely turn it into Pallando.

Companion – Man
Str 8
Vit 3
Res 7
Knight.
I'm not sure such good blanket condition discard belongs in [Gondor]. I'd prefer something else, maybe discard an engine or two? Or maybe when you play him, reinforce a [Gondor] token? Not sure, but I think strong flavour has to justify good [Gondor] condition discard (well, conditions not borne by companions).

Companion – Man
Str 4
Vit 3
Res 7
Not sure about the middle ability - to be honest, I can't remember who Firiel is but she doesn't seem like a warrior to me.

Condition – Support Area
I think I'd rephrase that ability, to something like: "... make an unbound companion strength +3 (and defender +1 if that companion has resistance 5 or more..." or whatever number you choose. And I'm also not sure about a [Gondor] card that comes into play with 8 tokens on it, I'd prefer a different trigger (for example, each companion with resistance X or more like Storied Homestead) to limit the tokens, then remove fewer for the ability.

Event – Maneuver
Toil 1.
This wording is troubling me. How about this: "For each Shadow card revealed, you may make that Man defender +1 until the regroup phase. That Man cannot take wounds until the regroup phase." (I didn't think the exertion was necessary given it's so expensive). This way, it does something even if you don't reveal Shadow cards, otherwise it might be too risky to play.

Event – Skirmish
I like this quite a lot. Possibly should be [3].

Event – Shadow
My issue here: why would I use this over War Towers? Or that [Men] minion that does something similar? Doesn't need to discard a [Men] card from hand.

Minion – Man
Str 10
Vit 3
Site6
Damage +1. Fierce.
Hm... Not a fan of limits. I mean, you need it for that ability, but I'm wondering if there's an interesting ability that would not require a limit. How about "Each time this minion wins a skirmish, you may exert him to wound each companion bearing a Free Peoples condition"?

Companion – Man
Str 10
Vit 5
Res 2
Whoah! Craziness. Seems like the good kind of craziness though! ;) Needs a killer lore to back it up.

Event – Skirmish
Interesting. I might prefer just a modifier, like resistance -8, so that it's a bit clearer (that X-listed Galadriel that plays Elves for free, for example, tells me that this causes trouble).

Minion – Maia
Str 18
Vit 5
Site6
I love basically everything about this card, nice one! But I do think it would be cleaner without the maneuver ability - put that corrupted booster on a Saruman, where it seems to fit more neatly.

Companion – Hobbit
Str 8
Vit 4
Res 8
Ring-bound.
I'm not convinced flavourwise here. Yes, Bilbo is eccentric, but the card makes him look like some kind of battle-crazed lunatic, which is not true. I'd prefer that moving ability then a killer healing ability to go with it, or something more true to Bilbo's nature.

Minion
Str 14
Vit 5
Site8
Damage +1. Toil 2.
Very entertaining!

Minion – Nazgul
Str 14
Vit 3
Site3
Easterling. Fierce.
Yeah this is cool. I would probably keep him at [6] and strength 12 though, and don't forget to make him unique!

I'll be sorry to see you go, I always liked your cards. :gp: for this very interesting set.

Thranduil

June 19, 2009, 11:28:47 AM
Reply #3

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:47 AM »
Quote from: AgentDrake
But all of them, I'm sure, awesome, as your DCs always have been when you've had time to put some together. Let's get to it!

Str +3
Res -1
Other than the little typo, a sweet Rine...er, Ring. ;)

Companion – Dwarf
Str 9
Vit 5
Res 8
Damage +1. Muster.
I agree with Thran: no need for the additional twilight "cost" for his ability. Love him as a new and improved Aragorn WTG. I would LOVE to use him in that type of role.

Companion – Man – Elf
Str 7
Vit 3
Res 7
"Elf" and "Man" should be capitalized, but that's a minor thing on an otherwise nifty companion. Love the dual-race thing...a fun idea! He's just what my "Last Alliance" [Gondor] / [Elven] deck needs.

Companion – Wizard
Str 7
Vit 4
Res 6
Since his ability is kind of meh, I think the starting cost reduction is fine. "The Blue Wizard" is indeed a better subtitle, but that's the only "negative" I can find.

Artifact – Staff
Str +1
Res +1
Cool beans, though too bad there's no actual Pallando.

Companion – Man
Str 8
Vit 3
Res 7
Knight.
Thran is right that condition discarding is not a [Gondor] thing, but since it's a one-time shot, I'm willing to let that slide.

Companion – Man
Str 4
Vit 3
Res 7
I'd limit the skirmish ability to [Gondor] and [Elven] events, but otherwise she's fun.

Condition – Support Area
I like Thran's suggestion on the token adding, since 8+ is a bit out of control. I like how it can help all races/cultures, though.

Event – Maneuver
Toil 1.
"unable to" in this case rather than "cannot", but Thran's wording is likely even better. The cost could come down and/or the toil go up, as SoP recommended.

Event – Skirmish
[4] just seems too much, even for such a sweet pump. [3] would be more than enough. Considering that The Highest Quality and Banners Blowing are the only [Gondor] pumps that cost more than [1], you MIGHT even be able to get away with this costing only [2].

Event – Shadow
I think discarding ANY card from hand would be fine, but since this is Shadow phase unlike War Towers' maneuver, the current wording might be more appropriate. I could go either way on this one.

Minion – Man
Str 10
Vit 3
Site6
Damage +1. Fierce.
I have to admit I'm mildly disappointed by this guy. I mean, yes, he's neat, but I was hoping to see a tie-in with threats. Perhaps do the wounding for each threat you can spot instead, and then either exert him twice to trigger or have it trigger only during fierce skirmishes won.

Companion – Man
Str 10
Vit 5
Res 2
Iiiiiiinteresting. I think he's actually balanced, but what a weird Eomer!

Event – Skirmish
I agree with Thran on the resistance part. Obviously pairs nicely with the Fell King, the kind of synergy I missed with the [Men] cards.

Minion – Maia
Str 18
Vit 5
Site6
"...make each corrupted minion...", but you know what? That doesn't even matter, because this is the coolest Sauron DC I have ever seen (including my own :P). Awesome!

Companion – Hobbit
Str 8
Vit 4
Res 8
Ring-bound.
He's fun, buuuuut...I have to side with Thran. High strength just ins't Bilbo's thing. Skirmish-dodging or healing or something I could see, but not straight-out strength.

Minion
Str 14
Vit 5
Site8
Damage +1. Toil 2.
Now THERE is an obscure reference: the boogeymen of Hobbit's worst nightmares. I might prefer something that further hurts the [Shire] culture, but with the sheer destructive force this already is, I can't imagine what could hurt Hobbits or anyone else worse. I love it!

Minion – Nazgul
Str 14
Vit 3
Site3
Easterling. Fierce.
I'd stick with his normal stats, but otherwise this is fun in an evil kind of way. :twisted:

Follower
Best DC ever...though I'm not a fan of the subtitle. :cry:

A good closing set. Congrats on finishing one. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".