LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Morgul Archers//Gondor Wraiths  (Read 21605 times)

October 07, 2009, 09:42:23 PM
Read 21605 times

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Morgul Archers//Gondor Wraiths
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
This deck is almost identical to a real deck I have and have played with.  I find it functions fairly well, although it sometimes clogs if I'm trying to set up a massive archery swarm and am reluctant to let go of cards.  As a note, I've gotten out well over 25 archery with this deck in the past.

STARTING FELLOWSHIP:

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
    The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
2x Dead Man of Dunharrow

SITES:

Steps of Edoras
Kings Tent
Beacon of Minas Tirith
Pelennor Plain
Crashed Gate
Minas Tirith Third Circle
Osgiliath Channel
Morgulduin
Dagorlad

FP:

2x King of the Dead, Oathbreaker
1x Shadow Host
1x Oathbreaker
1x Sleepless Dead
1x Cursed of Erech
4x Aragorn, Driven By Need
4x Spectral Sword
2x Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs
2x Anduril, Flame of the West
2x Elessar's Edict
1x Dagger Strike
3x Swept Away
3x Stronger and More Terrible
2x Hearts Raised

SHADOW:

3x Gothmog, Morgul Commander
2x Ulaire Attea, Wraith on Wings
1x Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One
3x Ulaire Nertea, Black-Mantled Wraith
2x Morgul Ambusher
4x Morgul Creeper
4x Morgul Lurker
3x Morgul Squealer
3x Morgul Brute
4x Streaming to the Field
3x Black Marshal

Basic strategy is pretty straight-forward for both sides.  Obviously have the maximum number of copies of the important conditions for both FP and Shadow (Streaming to the Field, Stronger and More Terrible, Swept Away) because they always get discarded one way or another and I usually have to play at least 2 copies on the game to keep initiative.  The Gondor Wraiths get a bit risky having all the threats around, (one companion dies and the whole fellowship dies) especially if SaMT or SA get discarded, but that's why Aragorn DBN and Anduril FotW are in there.  This deck sometimes has a problem with Frodo being overwhelmed even if my wraiths are invincible so I added 2 dagger strikes and try to keep them in my hand for emergencies.

The shadow side gets tricky.  I like to be ultra-conservative until about site 5-6, usually by then I have enough morcs in the discard pile to use Morgul Squealer and start an archery swarm, however this doesn't always work and sometimes I have to keep a constant flow of 2-3 minions and 2-3 archery in order to prevent the fellowship from getting to big and running all the way to site 9.  Keeping the burdens on the RB so I can use Morgul Creeper is frustrating because this isn't really a burden-adding deck, especially against a healing/burden-removal fellowship, but I almost always have initiative anyway so the Lurkers overcome that.  I have yet to face a deck that can overcome a blast of 20 archery AND survive the skirmish phase after.

I usually bid a max of 2 because the sites aren't vital for this deck to function; the shadow side works great with just about any site-path in the King Block.

Open to suggestions/thoughts/improvements.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:29:29 AM by Calam »

October 07, 2009, 09:57:14 PM
Reply #1

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Morgul Archers//Gondor Wraiths
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
I think you should consider using a card like Hearts Raised with your fellowship (I would add 2 of them, then you can remove 1 Stronger and more terrible and maybe 1 End of the game). Also, when I look at your fellowship I see some potential troubles if you draw King of the Dead or Shadow Host before another Wraith. The spotting requirements of Shadow Host are quite high and I suggest you add a 9th companion (Sleepless Dead or Dead man of Dunharrow) and you remove 1 copy of the host.

I cannot comment on your shadow as I never played Morc Archery before.

October 08, 2009, 06:48:47 AM
Reply #2

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:48:47 AM »
Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms is not RotK Block legal. If I'm not wrong, Reflections cards aren't allowed in RotK block.

October 08, 2009, 09:08:14 AM
Reply #3

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:08:14 AM »
Oops, Having Frodo WFtJ in there was a mistake; I meant to have Frodo, Resolute Hobbit.  Fixed it.  Also switched out The Dimholt for Beacon of Minas Tirith.

I don't want to use Isildur as my RB for two reasons; one, it's not movie-block legal, and two, in my experience, Isildur is too easily corrupted.

It might behoove me to add another Dead Man of Dunharrow and have them both start in my fellowship like you suggested, but I want to test this deck with just Aragorn in my fellowship first.  It's less stress on me if I have him right away to deal with that mountain of threats that inevitably piles up as soon as my wraiths come out.

Also, took out the two whelps and added in two more brutes.  I don't want to take away my Nazgul until I've play-tested this deck a bit and see which combo works best.

Updated the decklist.

EDIT:

Changed my mind.  Re-organized the fellowship based on the suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:17:38 AM by Calam »

October 08, 2009, 09:25:13 AM
Reply #4

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:25:13 AM »
Yep, I totally forgot about that before I made my last post, so I updated it.

I'm still keeping the Nazgul until I've tested them in-game.  Black Marshal is so handy for getting those last 1-2 minions out that I don't want to give it up.  Then again, those Nazgul are taking up spots in the deck that could be occupied by morcs...  Kinda glass half-full/glass half-empty.  I have to try them both and see what I like most.

I also removed an Enquea and added an Nertea because A) Nertea is cheaper and therefore easier to get out with Morgul Brute, and B) I always seem to have more luck adding burdens with Nertea than I do Enquea since Enquea can't be exerted during my shadow.

Two Morgul Brutes with Nertea, BMW means up to 3 burdens in one turn as long as Nertea survives the skirmish phase and I have initiative.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:58:29 AM by Calam »

October 08, 2009, 12:38:45 PM
Reply #5

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:38:45 PM »
If you add Heart Raised, you can remove at least 1 Stronger and More Terrible as you will have enough threat removal. I think Frodo, Hope of the free peoples would be a before ring-bearer.    Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom could also be another very effective threat removal... and even burden removal if you face corruption. If you only have 3 Aragorn, Driven by Need, remove 1 Anduril, Flame of the West or it could stay in your hand for many turns.

October 08, 2009, 10:11:19 PM
Reply #6

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »
Updated.  Took out all but 1 Dagger Strike, added 1 more Aragorn and 2 Hearts Raised.  Shadow side is still the same.  Took out End of the Game as well.  That event has been a lifesaver in the past, so I hope removing them doesn't come back to haunt me.

I've yet to fully playtest this deck but I've made some tests in regards to drawing cards (i.e. the types of hands I get) and they're coming out very good almost every time.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:14:54 PM by Calam »

October 09, 2009, 11:29:53 AM
Reply #7

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »
That was a mistake.  I forgot to delete it from the list.  It's gone now.

October 15, 2009, 08:31:47 AM
Reply #8

Kralik

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:47 AM »
It may just be a preference thing, but I don't like keeping my Wraiths exhausted in case big fierce minions come out, so I think that End of the Game is not really a very helpful card.

Works pretty well with Sleepless Dead... str. 13 and you can discard the minion if you win. ;D

October 15, 2009, 11:56:28 AM
Reply #9

Kralik

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
Fair enough. I know it isn't King-Block, but Banner of Westernesse does the same thing in a different way.
-wtk

Actually, not really. You may heal another companion... and you don't get the strength boost.

October 15, 2009, 02:26:10 PM
Reply #10

Kralik

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 02:26:10 PM »
But you're still missing the point that Sleepless Dead is str 13 with End of the Game and discards the minion. King of the Dead + Banner gives you a 9 Sleepless Dead.

Anyway -- I'm not purporting that wraiths MUST be completely exhausted. It's your choice with them as much as it is with other companions. Just comes in handy at times if you know you can swing it. ;)

November 03, 2009, 11:53:08 AM
Reply #11

daisukeman

• Information Offline
  • Troll
  • Evil Bilbo is always appropiate for this forum
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
Since it's all about wraiths, someone tell me what's the fuss about shadow host.
IMHO, that's not a really good companion.
I prefer 1000 times Cursed of Erech, and in my wraith deck I ended up fitting Elrond, Elven Lord so he can heal Aragorn (anduril) or Frodo (phlial of galadriel). Frodo is exerted by nfFatRoD
Also, I'd rather use Frodo, Hope of Free Peoples.
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that i'm right...

November 04, 2009, 08:51:59 AM
Reply #12

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »
Since it's all about wraiths, someone tell me what's the fuss about shadow host.
IMHO, that's not a really good companion.
I prefer 1000 times Cursed of Erech, and in my wraith deck I ended up fitting Elrond, Elven Lord so he can heal Aragorn (anduril) or Frodo (phlial of galadriel). Frodo is exerted by nfFatRoD
Also, I'd rather use Frodo, Hope of Free Peoples.

Shadow Host is great in a Wraith Deck -- Strength 13, Defender +1!  In my experience with wraiths (which is admittedly limited), you have to devote so many cards to the Wraith portion of your deck that you don't have a whole lot of room to support your Ring-bearer.  That Defender +1 ends up being clutch against swarm, especially since Wraiths aren't really known for their condition removal (and some swarms are very condition-dependent).

And it's not like you have to choose between Cursed of Erech and Shadow Host... they're both unique, so just play both of 'em.  =P

As far as the deck itself goes, I play kind of a weird version of Wraiths.  The way I figure it, as long as you can keep initiative and keep a Swept Away on the table, your Wraiths are virtually unkillable (outside of a wounding deck... more on that later).  However, durable though they may be, they're not necessarily all that great at killing things themselves (outside of a possible Sleepless Dead exertion).  They lack damage bonuses for the most part.

So I start a Cursed of Erech and Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver.  I play something like 2-3 copies of Shadowplay.  This way, I can exert Pippin to exert minions as they come into play, then pop him back into my hand for a full heal and let my Wraiths finish off the exhausted minions for a double-move.  It's also nice having Pippin just as an option to absorb archery fire if you go against a wounding deck.

NOTE:  I just realized that this was the King Block forum, not movie block.  Sooo... everything below this point doesn't really apply here, but I figured I'd leave it anyway, just in case anyone's lookin' into a Movie Block version of a Wraith deck.  =P

Another idea (which I haven't actually tried out yet, but have always considered) is playing 2-3 Shards of Narsil and 4 copies of Still Sharp.  Still Sharp not only gives you a hefty +3 strength boost, but the much-needed damage boost as well.  Shards of Narsil allows you to stack extra copies of conditions that you aren't using, like every Swept Away beyond the first.  That way, you don't have to let it sit there and take up a spot in your hand, knowing that you've got to hold onto it in case the one you have in play gets discarded.  You can just throw it on your Shards and keep on cyclin', then bring it back when you need it.

Additionally, if you don't want to go above 5 companions (for fear of someone dropping some condition removal and an Enquea in the same turn), you could place every Wraith beyond 5 on the Shards and just pull them into hand when you need 'em.

Once again, I haven't actually tested the Shard thing, so I don't know if it works or not.  Just an idea.  =P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:53:36 AM by Alazzar »

December 17, 2009, 10:46:05 PM
Reply #13

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:05 PM »
I like the minion side, although I don't see how adding 4 Morgul Destroyer in the place of Nazgul will help you.  I believe they require a nazgul to spot for their effect, and if you eliminate the nazgul... well, it seems counterproductive.

As for the freeps, The Old Took once tried using Foes of Morder in a wraith deck to quickly exhaust all his wraiths.  While I'm not sure if it was technically legal considering there weren't any Sauron minions to exert, it couples with Might of Numenor to allow the freep player total wound management control.
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry

December 18, 2009, 07:12:20 PM
Reply #14

Imrahil

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »
ooh, I think you just opened Pandora's Box my friend.  There is too much abuse possible.
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

-Dave Barry