LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: LOTR TCG magazine  (Read 27665 times)

November 08, 2009, 07:34:11 AM
Read 27665 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
LOTR TCG magazine
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:34:11 AM »
As part of the revival, a memeber from TLHH has offered to start work on a LOTR TCG magazine. I'm probably not the best for editing/design so if there is anyone interested please make your interest known here.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

November 08, 2009, 09:40:37 AM
Reply #1

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
Re: LOTR TCG magazine
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:40:37 AM »
Well, since I'm a graphic designer for living (lol) I can handle that part pretty well, I really want help from everyone regarding the contents. Everything you think TLHH Magazine should have about Lotr Tcg, just  shout it! And well... a little members help concerning texts, images, etc would also be very very welcome!

Anyway, I just want to say Hello to everyone and hope I can manage to get something pretty cool out of this idea! ^^

Meanwhile... cheers!  ;)

November 08, 2009, 12:16:55 PM
Reply #2

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »
I'll throw my name in to help as well.  I do some work with PSD, as well as PDFs and could help get something sent out every month.  Not sure I really want to lead, it but I do want to help.

I bet if we wanted to ask top players from any of the Decipher games to write articles, we could get a nice monthly publication together.  Probably could even get a write in from big D about fight klub if we wanted to include that as well.

November 08, 2009, 12:38:30 PM
Reply #3

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:38:30 PM »
Well, I don't mind leading the art side of the magazine. Regarding articles, it would obviously be awesome to have some tops writing about it every month, but beside that the magazine purpose is also to provide readers with good card reviews, deck reviews, articles about anything that can be write about lotr tcg mainly...

I was also thinking about some useful parts, like rules, clarifications, erratas, curious stuff, collectors stuff, and so on, so on... Also another cool idea I had is to add cool stuff to the magazine, like the anthologys little books with all the set card list, but for reflections, shadows block, etc... Some cool "add-ons" for Lotr Tcg lovers like me ^^

It's not my idea to include any other stuff beside Lotr, but it doesnt cost much to add a section about everything else  :lol:

Right now I'm trying some magazine layouts and covers...

Ranofer, any good quality images from Lotr you could provide me with would be a good start! I already have a nice database full with images and stuff to build the magazine.. but more is always good! ^^

Thanks for joining the project! ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:47:49 PM by Sete »

November 08, 2009, 01:20:45 PM
Reply #4

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
Sure thing.  We could have all those different sections, and then an "Everything Else" section where we could throw in stuff about new sets in Magic, Fight Klub, whatever "news" there is for other games.

I think a collecting idea could be very valuable. Maybe even get someone to have a monthly report about the costs of things on Ebay.  Sort of a new Scyre, for the new age.

I'm sure other PC groups would love to throw up an ad in the magazine as well, but that could just be one of things in the back.

An up to date errata list as well as any officially banned cards could be a very nice addition.

I'll see what I can come up with for images and fonts, unless you've already got those?

November 08, 2009, 03:45:56 PM
Reply #5

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »
Yeah fonts I got "prrretty" much everything one can get from Lotr. As for images, every new image is welcome since the more I get the more I'll use.

Regarding your ideas, I had the same ideas but thought it was a bit too much, but glad to see someone having the same ideas I had. An ebay/amazon monthly report (and perhaps some other lotr sellers would send us ad's... and somehow we could take some sponsorships from this to the new card project of TLHH), and also the banned cards and errata I think it's a pretty must. Some little Lotr news in another section would be a cherry and having a general card game news section can be a must too..

About the collections "add-ons", I'm doing that for my own collection, so as soon as I get them ready for me, I'll get them "on stock" to go with the monthly issues! :D

Well, we have some cool ideas just to start. Let's see if some more members are willing to help ^_^

Cheers!

November 08, 2009, 10:45:40 PM
Reply #6

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 10:45:40 PM »
I am ofcourse willing to chip in my 2 cents every now and then.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

November 09, 2009, 01:41:26 AM
Reply #7

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:41:26 AM »
And your 2 cents will be most welcome! ^^

For start I'd need everyone help in one "add-on" issue:

Fellowship Anthology Card List Booklet:
Fellowship of the Ring
Mines of Moria
Realms of the Elf-Lords

(and so on for the Two Towers, Return of the King and War of the Ring Anthologies booklets)

But what about the other sets? Whats supposed to be called the anthology and what sets does it contain?

I have this collections to create a Card List Booklet:

Promotional Cards;
Reflections;
Expanded Middle Earth;
The Wraith Collection;
The Hunters;
Rise of Saruman;
Treachery and Deceit;
Ages End.

Any idea about how I should sort them? Maybe create a logical anthology with the set Hunters/RoSaruman/T&Deceit ?
And do separate booklets for Promo Cards, Reflections, Expanded ME, Wraith and Ages End?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:12:09 AM by Sete »

November 09, 2009, 06:08:15 AM
Reply #8

Kenddrick

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:08:15 AM »
I can add in stuff like, "From a new player's perspective". I'll try my best. :)

November 09, 2009, 07:40:26 AM
Reply #9

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 07:40:26 AM »
Why not? All kind of perspectives are welcome. And it would be fun to have in one side a "noobish" perspective of the game (and I can include myself in that one lol) and in one other side, a pro perspective...

I will note down all the ideas for sections and magazine add-ons and as soon as we get some good core for the magazine I'll post it here.

More help is always welcome! People with connections, lote tcg fanatics, people who love to write, etc, etc...

November 09, 2009, 08:14:57 AM
Reply #10

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »
I think this is a great idea.  I'm not sure I'll actually be committing to the project myself, but I may be able to offer some tips/guidance/help every now and then, if you guys would like.

I wrote articles for the DGMA for quite a while, and spent a short time as the DGMA's Content Coordinator (basically the editor for all the LotR writers).  I was also hired by Worlds Apart to be their sole content contributor for LotR TCG.  Although the DGMA site is down, you can look at some of my LotRO articles here:

http://lotronline.decipher.com/articles/

As you can see, the articles aren't ALL done by me, because when I stopped working for WA, someone else took over for the PSQ reviews I'd started.

I also wrote some strategy articles for the short-lived Auto Assault online TCG, for whatever that's worth.  =P

Anywho, point is, I've done a lot of this sort of stuff before, so if there's anything you need help with, feel free to ask.  Once again, I can't necessarily commit to anything (and if I could, I'd immediately volunteer myself to be an editor  =P), but that doesn't mean I can't lend a hand every now and then.

Once again, cool idea.  I hope it works out!

November 09, 2009, 08:36:36 AM
Reply #11

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:36:36 AM »
Glad to hear! And of course, you are most, most welcome!

I'm thinking about some magazine sections regarding card reviews, card combos, even cards the writer would like to talk about (favorite cards or hated cards). Some words about events, tournments, news would be pleasent too.

I also had the idea of contacting some worldwide retailers and tell them about the magazine and how they could be seen by a possible large number of readers, and perhaps get them to monthly offer some discounts, cards promotions, etc, etc...

Would be pretty cool...

(Btw, I have a request: Lotr Tcg logo and the cultures mini logos in a big legible size would be awesome! thnks)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:16:17 AM by Sete »

November 10, 2009, 08:25:27 AM
Reply #12

Kenddrick

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 08:25:27 AM »
Looks like we have ideas. Can anyone tell me my share of the work? I can't wait to get started! :D

November 10, 2009, 09:24:53 AM
Reply #13

Sete

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Elessar
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:53 AM »
Right now, nothing at all.

Let me just work the concept first, do the "blueprint" of the magazine, finish some add-on so we can have cool stuff to come along the magazine and then I'll focus in the magazine sections where all help will be most welcome! :D

But for now thanks a lot for wanting to help! Wish more people would just come along the idea and joined the project ^_^

Oh, and Ages End card collector list booklet is already done.

Next in list is "War of the Ring" booklet.

Any ideas on how I should sort the other editions? Hunters, RoS, T&Deceit, Middle-Earth Deluxe cards, Weta Collection, Wraith Collection, Reflections, Promo cards... How should I sort them? I'm thinking about doing a booklet for each "Promo card collection", "Weta collection", "Wraith collection" and I don't know what to do about the other 4 sets...

IMPORTANT: To everyone wanting to join this project, please add me to your msn list: white@iol.pt so we can discuss sections, ideas, assignments, etc...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:52:44 AM by Sete »

November 10, 2009, 11:26:02 AM
Reply #14

Kenddrick

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »
We can also have articles like Card of the Month, where we choose a card and talk about it's uses, combos and stuff. It can be a common/uncommon or rare, doesn't matter. Also, we can also have a stories about matchups and how the game turned out! :D