LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Legal Team  (Read 4908 times)

December 06, 2009, 12:11:33 PM
Read 4908 times

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Legal Team
« on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
Hi all - I am creating this topic purely to collect information. I do not expect to contact Decipher, New Line or Tolkien Estate anytime soon, and perhaps the PC (if and when it expands) may or may not go down this path.

As it stands it has been proposed that the PC may/may not produce any combination of the following:
* Entirely new v-cards using decipher templates or custom templates
* Half-slip v-cards that replace game text of existing cards
* Errata cards
* Alternate image cards and prize support

I have recently been contacted by an old player of LOTR TCG that produces graphical dream cards. He found out about the proposed LOTR TCG Players Committee on a post I put on the Star Trek message boards.

He has produced graphical DCs using custom templates so that he could post graphical DCs on the internet for all to see. Decipher Legal sent him a message saying it must be pulled down because they have the rights to the game, and alternate templates infringe those rights.

This may or may not imply that the production of v-cards using Deciphers templates or custom templates will need their permission. Of course, Decipher does not own the rights to the game anymore, so this presumably is a major factor in the consideration of persuing support from decipher.

December 06, 2009, 01:44:28 PM
Reply #1

Kenddrick

Re: Legal Team
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »
He has produced graphical DCs using custom templates so that he could post graphical DCs on the internet for all to see. Decipher Legal sent him a message saying it must be pulled down because they have the rights to the game, and alternate templates infringe those rights.

Was that before or after Decipher went bankrupt? (Well, almost)

December 06, 2009, 08:27:24 PM
Reply #2

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »
Decipher Legal contacted him when they had the rights to LOTR and prior to their (almost) bankruptcy.

I would now assume that Decipher will take no interest in graphical v-cards as they no longer have the rights to the game (and also due to possible lack of funds) - whether the cards use their templates or custom templates.

However, production of v-cards remains an issue when using images from the movies (New Line) and lore or text from the books (Tolkien Estate).

Whatever happens in the long run it seems fair to assume that some sort of legal agreement will need to be met prior to moving the proposed PC in the direction of v-cards of any sort.

If any legal experts use or visit this site - share your thoughts :)

December 06, 2009, 08:41:45 PM
Reply #3

Kenddrick

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »
I'm sure we are aware of the Born Of Hope fan film which was just recently released. Apparently this was their disclaimer on their site:

"This Fan Film is for entertainment purposes only and is in no way sponsored or approved by Tolkien Enterprises, the Tolkien Estate, Peter Jackson, New Line or any affiliates. The content is for the exclusive use of the downloader and should not be sold, rented, or used for any commercial enterprise in any way, shape, or form. We make no claim to any characters, storylines, prop designs, names, logos, situations that are trademarked, copyrighted or otherwise protected by federal, state or other intellectual property law. New Line, Peter Jackson, Weta, Tolkien Enterprises, the Tolkien Estate or any of their respective affiliates or licensees hold rights to some intellectual property herein used by this work. This work is produced solely for the personal, uncompensated enjoyment of ourselves and other Tolkien fans. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended."

:)

December 07, 2009, 02:46:44 AM
Reply #4

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »
Interesting point Kenddrick - they must of had some money behind them to make such a production but it certainly shows that not-for-profit fan-based material (as produced by the proposed PC) may not necessarily be beyond us.

Either way - advice from a legal representative should probably be pursued when and if we get that far. For example, to provide the appropriate legal wording on any material produced).

December 07, 2009, 08:54:18 AM
Reply #5

Kenddrick

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:54:18 AM »
Well the "Born of Hope" team had 25,000 pounds in sponsorship. If our PC does get well and truly running, then I wouldn't mind contributing maybe 50 bucks to it (I'm still a student). I really want the Player Comittee to work out!

December 07, 2009, 05:05:21 PM
Reply #6

Dogbert

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »
I would now assume that Decipher will take no interest in graphical v-cards as they no longer have the rights to the game (and also due to possible lack of funds) - whether the cards use their templates or custom templates.

However, production of v-cards remains an issue when using images from the movies (New Line) and lore or text from the books (Tolkien Estate).

Note that Decipher still has rights to the game. They do not, however, have rights to produce new cards based on Lord of the Rings. However, since the game itself is their IP, they have exclusive rights to make cards for that game.

December 09, 2009, 06:56:10 PM
Reply #7

Kralik

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »
Yay, it's Dogbert! Now all of our legal problems are solved!

December 09, 2009, 08:43:39 PM
Reply #8

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 08:43:39 PM »
Yay, it's Dogbert! Now all of our legal problems are solved!

??

I have not been around on these boards forever - can you fill me in?

December 10, 2009, 11:07:20 AM
Reply #9

Kralik

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 11:07:20 AM »