LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Need a designer  (Read 8305 times)

April 29, 2010, 02:50:04 PM
Reply #15

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Need a designer
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
This will be off topic as usual, but here's the way i currently see it (it might be right or wrong) ....

Several things can be achieved without the need of Deciphers approval ....

1) Marketing the game, this site and GCCG to increase the players base and users on this site - anyone and everyone can do this and if they like the game enough are probably already doing this.
2) Building up local player groups and running tournaments.
3) Rules support releasing an up-to-date CRD (containing clarification of cards) as discussed in TLHH.
4) A new website that promotes the game, contains articles written by players, contains current rulings (or clarfications), download links to support material, tournament ranking system, find-a-tournament and find-a-player locators, etc.

Anything that changes the game and impacts on Deciphers ownership of the game is asking for trouble without Deciphers approval. This is where Deciphers approval will be needed. And this is where leadership, organisation will be paramount.

1) v-cards, errata-cards, promo cards, etc - can only be issued with Deciphers approval. Some existing players aren't interested - so a compromise has to be reached (pre and post Decipher format seems possible?).
2) Rulings on cards that involve errata and changing the meta of the current game if broken or over-powered combinations of cards are discovered that impact the playability of the game (it happens when lots of players play a card game).

Until the non-PC part is established I can't see any point in moving to the second part because the community is too small to support it. Once established, it is then time to find a leader, and someone passionate enough about the game (or someone who wants to expand their resume) and approach Decipher. As c1G.com has mentioned - a charter will be needed to get Deciphers approval. We will need to outline our initial goals and vision of what we want to do with the game. We won't be able to do anything that is not approved by Decipher.

There is a valid argument that establishing the second part will support the first part. So perhaps it is possible to obtain Deciphers approval and provide some structure and formal support for the game first. If it is ... we still come back to the same problem .... we need a leader and someone passionate enough about this game that they are willing to jump in and give this a genuine go (remembering that it is a volunteer position, will take up alot of time, and probably minimise the amount of time you have left to actually play the game). The only benefit is perhaps to practice running a not-for-profit organisation.

April 29, 2010, 07:30:00 PM
Reply #16

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
3) Rules support releasing an up-to-date CRD (containing clarification of cards) as discussed in TLHH.

This definately needs Decipher's approval.

April 29, 2010, 09:55:40 PM
Reply #17

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 09:55:40 PM »

This definately needs Decipher's approval.

Do you really think so? Perhaps I wasn't clear in what a clarifications CRD would contain ...

Clarifications on cards are discussed all the time on this site and we usually reach a concensus. This document would provide the nuts of that discussion in one quick place of reference. No rule changes, no errata, simply a reference document to explain how tricky concepts work.

The document could contain a disclaimer stating that it does not represent the views of Decipher, etc .... and that it is a collection of experienced players views on the workings of the current game.

Either way .. point is mute because the PC lacks support to get it going. Additionally, i doubt there is even anyone willing to collate these clarifications into a usable document that could be used by players. And would the community even use it?

April 29, 2010, 10:07:16 PM
Reply #18

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:16 PM »
Those are player opinions, they are by no means official.

April 29, 2010, 10:08:51 PM
Reply #19

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 10:08:51 PM »
Those are player opinions, they are by no means official.

Which would be the purpose of the disclaimer. Either way - you may be right :)

April 30, 2010, 10:32:18 AM
Reply #20

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »
Questions covered by previous CRD work have been asked again since then, so I think even an unofficial document could be useful. As always though the problem is the lack of authority, meaning it'd be something like a subset of players creating a document that the subset would be inclined to follow.

Which reminds me, some new issues could use archiving for whatever day they'd have some use.