LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Solo Gimli (with Pippin) (Expanded)  (Read 7712 times)

May 07, 2008, 07:08:11 AM
Read 7712 times

Micah247

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Solo Gimli (with Pippin) (Expanded)
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:08:11 AM »
Read an article on the Pippin Engine a while back, and wanted to try it out.  (Please keep in mind I do not have access to cards after set 13 bloodlines)
This is Expanded Format.

Free Peoples (31)

[Ring] and Bearer
Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Companions (1)
Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence (starting)

Possessions (7)
Gimlis Battle Axe
Hand Axe
Dwarven Bracers
Dwarven Armor
Ring of Fury
Arod, Rohirrim Steed
Gimlis Helm

Conditions (10)
Endurance of Dwarves
O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
2x Proud and Able
4x Home and Hearth
2x Birthday Present

Allies/Followers (3)
2x Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor
Thrarin, Dwarven Smith

Events (10)
4x Honed
4x Make Haste
2x Power According to His Stature

sites
Barazinbar
Trollshaw Forest
Some Dwellings

Shadow
 I used Initiative Southrons. Raider Bow, Red Wrath and Whirling Strike FTW

Strategy
Bid 1, go first if possible.  Get Gimlis Battle Axe, use Make haste to get rid of minions. Play Pippin to remove burdens and heal.  Use Birthday Present or Daddy Twofoot to get Make Haste back.  Play all conditions and equipment ASAP. PATHS for killing swarm minions.  Gimli when set up needs 36 strength to overwhelm.  Honed adds 11 Strength when set up.

Concerns
Based on playtest, I think I am going to remove Endurance of Dwarves for another PAtHS, because it worked so well.

***edited to show playtest deck***
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:39:36 AM by NBarden »

May 07, 2008, 04:10:35 PM
Reply #1

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Re: Solo Gimli (with Pippin)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »
My major concern is this decks inability to double. All my decks have a component in them that allows a run, and I dont think Baruk-khazad is good enough.

More Proud and Able, everyone saves there condition discarding for it in any [Dwarven] deck.

When set up though with HaH, use Pippin to heal and use a Nelya deck to bring back Barazinbar and pull all your possessions
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

May 10, 2008, 09:55:04 AM
Reply #2

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:55:04 AM »
I <3 Solo Gimli. My fave solo deck.

RoR def in this deck. AtaR + bad draw = instant auto-corrupt, esp if the guy happens to be fierce.

Drop Endurance of Dwarves, O Elbereth! Gilthoniel! and Baruk Khazad for some BRC and Proud and Able. I like PATHS, though, maybe 1 more, to nab with Daddy Twofoot in case you draw a Make Haste and don't need to nab. Also, Thrarin, Dwarven Smith is a MUST HAVE! for the deck.

I like Daddy Twofoot over Birthday Present, more reliable. I'm not sure...does Community Living require 1 or 2 hobbits?

Now, the fundamental prob with the deck is that it NEEDS a shadow that can kill. Thus, you MUST have an absolutely killer shadow. Maybe [Men] Archery? Especially with the sites that punish big fellowships, Anduin Banks, City Gates, etc.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

May 12, 2008, 01:31:24 AM
Reply #3

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:31:24 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the daddy two-foot with a comp bearing it going to hand discards daddy two-foot correct. If so Maybe the Birthday Presentis a better choice here. I was always under the impression that when a companion or minion for that matter goes back to it's players hand cards on the character were discarded. If that is the case why keep wasting daddy two-foot if you can use the condition annd maybe a few scourings to protect it for a bit.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

May 12, 2008, 02:38:53 AM
Reply #4

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:38:53 AM »
You can put Daddy-twofoot onto Gimli so you need not lose it
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

May 12, 2008, 02:43:41 AM
Reply #5

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:43:41 AM »
Doh I guess I was thinking it had to go on a shire comp to retrieve a card. Stupid me away from the game for a short time and start forgetting what the cards do.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

May 12, 2008, 05:24:52 AM
Reply #6

Micah247

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 05:24:52 AM »
So I didn't have time to make a shadow side, but wanted to play test it, so I pairedc it with a variation of the initiative southrons that I had posted on CC.  I am fully aware this was not an ideal match, but that is what I had sitting around.  My opponent used noble leaders with 2 site dundland.  I went first played barbinzar got Gimli's battle axe, but did not draw make haste.  This could have been an issue as I had to fight 2 minions at site 2.  I thought Pippin was toast, but he assigned the 2nd to the ring-bearer.  PAtHS FTW!  I actually ran 2 daddy twofoot, and 2 Birthday Present.  I got both of those out turn 2 and continually used PAtHS to kill what got through Make Haste.  I got some lucky draws with Red Wrath and Whirling Strike and killed Aragorn at site 3 and Faramir at 4.  This allowed me to stay ahead as he could no longer double, and also clogged his hand more as there cards were no longer usable.  I ran out of cards at site 7, so I had to double to nine and thanks to my addition of Thrarin, dwarven smith, and more PAtHS recursion, I was able to accomplish.

Edited original post to show what I used.