LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Website Team  (Read 8916 times)

December 19, 2009, 12:38:10 AM
Read 8916 times

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Website Team
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:38:10 AM »
Discuss the creation of a website for the proposed PC here.

Any ideas and feedback appreciated.

Volunteers?

This does not mean the website will happen, it is just a place to discuss and maybe (or maybe not) get something happening (if the proposed PC is ready).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:43:30 AM by chompers »

December 19, 2009, 01:54:02 AM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: Website Team
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 01:54:02 AM »
a website like the one of LotrO would be ace....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

December 19, 2009, 06:35:11 PM
Reply #2

Kenddrick

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »
Is this also a marketing section? :)

December 19, 2009, 10:51:13 PM
Reply #3

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
i wouldn't think so - if you look in valinor there is already a general marketing thread. But ... when the website is related to marketing then why not.

December 20, 2009, 09:01:32 AM
Reply #4

Kenddrick

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »
In my opinion the website should have the following sections:

-Our objective as the LotR: TCG PC and our structure (What we are trying to achieve as a PC and in a table we can list who is President, Vice-President, Treasurer..and so forth)
-News section (Updated regularly to provide the public on what is going on)
-Articles (Where we discuss various cards/issues, as well as have a link to download our monthly magazine)
-Decklists (Posting the most commonly used decks in the FOTR Block, Standard Block and so forth)
-Resources (Download links to PDF starter decks, GCCG, Zorbec's Decklist Builder)
-Quick chat box (To allow any visitors to ask quick questions/random chatter)
-A forum, or a link to a forum.
-Links (To link to Decipher's homepage, Various EBAY power sellers)

December 20, 2009, 09:33:49 AM
Reply #5

Kenddrick

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »
To organise and sort things out properly. Plus, it would be the official website of the PC. No offense meant, but this is only a forum (and a very good one).

December 20, 2009, 01:19:20 PM
Reply #6

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 01:19:20 PM »
If the players of LOTR can organise themsleves to the point that a PC is established to continue the game - then they will need to be represented by a website. The discussion about the website is just one of the many pieces of establishing a PC.

I personally am envious that Deciphers other two licences in Star Wars and Star Trek continue, but LOTR does not. I have played all 3 games and IMO LOTR is the better of the three games. Doesn't seem right. That said LOTR has one thing going for it that the others do not and this is various playing formats. These formats help keep the game fresh without the need for a PC. But even so .... there are players out there that want more.

The nature of the eventual PC (if it happens) is still a large unknown, but its goal would be to support all players of the game. LOTR had a large players network at one point - and the players disappeared for a ranged of reasons - for some it was the loss of the license, others a change in direction of the game that they did not like, etc. The PC would aim to bring these players back to the game by supporting them in any way that they can.

The support might be forums (already have it), downloadable resources (we have some of this, but it can be a challenge for new or returning players to locate), up-to-date rules, structure for a tournament circuit, and so on.

For some players, they want to see new cards be it errata, AI promos or new v-cards. A game that is finished, and does not ever change, can become tired after awhile, meaning players may all eventually leave. And this would be a shame. Ideally, this is the ultimate objective of the PC, and to achieve it and have approval from Decipher perhaps we need a website established prior to obtaining there approval.

To establish a PC is a tricky business, in what order do you do it? Legal, market, website, torunaments, rules, v-cards, etc. There are many pieces to this puzzle. Discussion about the website it simply aimed at putting one of these pieces into place.

Starting a new website does not mean TLHH will stop functioning - anyone can make a website, getting people to use it is another thing altogether.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:25:05 PM by chompers »

December 20, 2009, 01:34:02 PM
Reply #7

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 01:34:02 PM »
I would recommend a website similar to the design of Star Trek PC

http://www.trekcc.org/

It has forums (similar to these), resources, articles, card data-base, etc.

December 20, 2009, 06:32:19 PM
Reply #8

Kenddrick

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
Okay, so who's going to step up to do the web design? Ranofer was supposed to do it, but he's too busy nowadays.

December 20, 2009, 07:48:11 PM
Reply #9

Kralik

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
Okay, so who's going to step up to do the web design? Ranofer was supposed to do it, but he's too busy nowadays.

Find someone who is qualified to do the work AND has the time, and then start to see what can be done. ;) This website itself could be a lot more developed than the plain vanilla pages, and it could include articles, wiki, virtual cards, custom scripts, advanced search... but when it's just one person who has limited time vs. a design team...

I'm more interested in spending my LotR time on playing vs. designing a website. Ever since GCCG became popular, my focus shifted from doing LotR "work" to just having fun. I do computer tech stuff as part of my job... sometimes I want a break. :)

December 20, 2009, 08:18:07 PM
Reply #10

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:18:07 PM »
I think you will find Kenddrick that the issue with the proposed PC and website etc is lack of willing and capable bodies on these forums. Using the forums to discuss a PC is fine, but without the right people, that is all it will be. Discussion and marketing might eventually lead to something, but all we can do is wait and see. I know my position has changed somewhat - but you have to face the reality of the situation that faces us.

I was hoping for more, but maybe this is what we have got, and we be happy with that. Marketing is something everyone should be capable of achieving - so we work with that. Perhaps the right people will come on board with time.

All that said, turns out LOTR is not a dead duck - there are people still playing it on GCCG and before I used these forums I knew nothing about it. Now I can play several games of LOTR each week - better than the none I played before this.

And Kralik - thanks for giving us what you have - I appreciate that I have the opportunity to talk LOTR and play it once again :)

December 21, 2009, 01:29:30 AM
Reply #11

Kenddrick

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:29:30 AM »
I think you will find Kenddrick that the issue with the proposed PC and website etc is lack of willing and capable bodies on these forums. Using the forums to discuss a PC is fine, but without the right people, that is all it will be. Discussion and marketing might eventually lead to something, but all we can do is wait and see. I know my position has changed somewhat - but you have to face the reality of the situation that faces us.

I was hoping for more, but maybe this is what we have got, and we be happy with that. Marketing is something everyone should be capable of achieving - so we work with that. Perhaps the right people will come on board with time.

All that said, turns out LOTR is not a dead duck - there are people still playing it on GCCG and before I used these forums I knew nothing about it. Now I can play several games of LOTR each week - better than the none I played before this.

And Kralik - thanks for giving us what you have - I appreciate that I have the opportunity to talk LOTR and play it once again :)

We can make this happen. Decipher has already agreed. TheJord said that all we need is people who are willing to work hard. :(

December 21, 2009, 02:05:21 AM
Reply #12

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 02:05:21 AM »
I wouldnt say they have already agreed, but having received some communication from Decipher is the closest we have got so far
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

December 21, 2009, 02:29:08 AM
Reply #13

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 02:29:08 AM »
The idea of the PC is not finished. We can still discuss and work on it. I intend to keep posting ideas and hopefully keep the members of TLHH thinking about it.

For now, we should wait and promote the game and get more people on board. At least that is the message i have recieved from many members of this site.

For now - promote the game, talk about your ideas on the forums, play the game by getting involved in the league and using GCCG, and tournaments - lets get them happening again using real cards. There is still heaps that can be done.

When do we revisit the idea - who knows, hopefully not too far in the future. Decipher have shown a willingness to listen and perhaps support us (thats a big start). And the membership on this site is growing rapidly - its up around 20 in two weeks of so.

Patience is key here. If that's too hard, then there is always Star Wars and Star Trek that are supported by PCs or any other game that still releases cards. But all those other games are not as good as LOTR :)

December 21, 2009, 04:08:19 AM
Reply #14

Kenddrick

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 04:08:19 AM »

When do we revisit the idea - who knows, hopefully not too far in the future.

I fear that when we revisit the idea again, it will end up like this one, or the ones before. This is the closest we have been to getting an official PC set up. I say we continue with the idea and not stop it.