LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Newbie Help!  (Read 10357 times)

January 10, 2010, 08:30:26 AM
Read 10357 times

warm

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Newbie Help!
« on: January 10, 2010, 08:30:26 AM »
Hi guys, Im new to the game (yeah I'm a few years too late), and just recently got hold of some decks from an old player (traded with some WoW tcg) and I just want some advice on these decks (tweaks. opinions, critique).. I'm not entirely sure if all these are expanded but I think this is the most appropriate forum since I want to convert them into this format..

1. The 1st deck is a dwarf and moria deck.. I will post the dwarf first..

I dont know what ring to use (?)
Gimli, BoG
Durin III
Sindri

the 4 rings
4 Dwarven Warrior
4 Dwarven Axe
1 Axe of Erebor
3 Dwarven Bracers
4 Nobody tosses a dwarf
3 Honed
2 Proud and Able
3 Sharp Defense
3 No pauses, no pills
4 Lord of Moria
2 Preparations
2 Here is Good rock

That's a lot of cards, dyou think I should cut back to 30?
what do I have to replace? tweak?
how is this deck played? I heard that this is a pretty good deck? opinions / tips on how to play it?

til next time, I'll try to post a pipe deck and a hobbit deck.. still trying to master the rules..

thanks for the help in advance.. we're trying to revive LoTR here in our country..

January 10, 2010, 10:36:19 AM
Reply #1

sharkey

Re: Newbie Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
Toss Dwarven Warriors, replace with something worthwhile, toss No pauses, all three, toss both Good Rocks, and 2 skirmish events of your choice.

January 10, 2010, 10:56:47 AM
Reply #2

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
I think I will have to flay you with the Ridiculousness Flail sharkey for ever suggesting someone remove No Pauses, No Spills from a mono- [Dwarven] deck.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:32:18 AM by TheJord »
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

January 10, 2010, 11:02:42 AM
Reply #3

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »
NPNS rules, but I prefer Movie Dwarves anyway.
As for the Deck, just choose one strategy. Drop NtAD cus' there's no reason running it in a Possesion Bump Deck, add beneath the mountains instead. As for Companions, use Linnar and Dain Ironfoot cus' Dwarven Warrior isn't a good card at all...
Add maybe some Hand Axes cus' of Durin III and Proud and Able. By the way, there are 5 Dwarven Rings, maybe you don't know Ring of Artifice which is pretty strong though (But I don't need mine cus' I play Movie Dwarves anyway, as said before).
As for the ring, use TroR or RoD.

Witchkingx5

January 10, 2010, 11:15:40 AM
Reply #4

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »
If you have a Strands of elven hair handy - it might be useful in questions of No pauses, no spills
You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.

January 10, 2010, 12:22:00 PM
Reply #5

sharkey

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Well, they could stay. But it's not what I would do, 36 vs. 33 cards, I'd choose 33, even with more drawing. And too much twilight for dwarves.

January 10, 2010, 12:36:39 PM
Reply #6

Smeagollum

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:36:39 PM »
Hi Warm,

Well it depends on what you want to play. You can't play this in standard or filmblockformat. Just only in open. I would suggest ot choose for either Filmblock or standard. Both can be played in Austrian format.

Then second thing: Most people like to play more card with dwarves, but this also depends on the type of deck you play. If you want to play discard make sure you'll also have a discard shadow (in filmblock I'ld prefer Sauron Discard). In that case I'ld bring the deck back to 30/30. Something like:

Grass ring (resistance ring is not allowed in Filmblock)
Gimli, BoG
Durin III
Linnar
Smeagol, Old Noser or Smeagol, Poor Creature or another dwarf or a Sam, soh (is allowd in filmblock and maybe you want this because you're a bit weak against corruptiondeck's)
Uri
3 Dwarven Axe
1 Handaxe
1x Gimli's battleaxe
3 Dwarven Bracers
4 Nobody tosses a dwarf
4 Honed
4 Lord of Moria
1 Blood runs chill
1 or 2 dark waves
Ring of fury
2 Ring of guile
Ring of retribution

January 10, 2010, 06:12:36 PM
Reply #7

warm

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 06:12:36 PM »
WoW! A very helpful community (did'nt expect to have a lot of responses that fast).. Thanks so much..

but again, you have to clear things up for me.. why is this deck in open (what cards make it OPEN)?

and, what are the strategies available to me and my pool of cards? (got other dwarf cards so I think I have room to tweak the deck to my liking)..

what are movie dwarves? possession bump deck? as I said I'm new to this and I don't know the dwarf deck archetypes..

January 10, 2010, 06:21:17 PM
Reply #8

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
Standard is sets 7-19
Movie is sets 1-10
This deck is Expanded legal. But Expanded is mental and this deck would die a horrible and painful death.

You have cards from sets 1-12. Losing the Proud and Able and Dwarf Warriors and putting in Linnar and some more possessions and pumps from sets 1-10 would make a legit Movie block deck.

People talk deck types. Dwarves have 2 main deck types, possessions and discard. Both revolve around most of the same cards, except in discard you use Nobody Tosses a Dwarf, Greatest Kingdom of my People and Dwarven Axe, where as in possession decks you run full sets of Axe's, Bracers and Ring's with Flurry of Blows, Honed if you are big on damage bonuses with Lord of Moria (Proud and Able in Standard).

January 10, 2010, 07:01:59 PM
Reply #9

warm

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 07:01:59 PM »
Thanks so much theJord, I think it would be best if I stay true with the original deck and make it a possession deck..

I'll also stay in movie block, since a friend told me that the last 5 sets were not released here in my country..

so How do I go about converting the deck into a possession deck? I should take out the discard pieces no?

January 10, 2010, 07:38:47 PM
Reply #10

GloinTheDark

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 07:38:47 PM »

This deck is Expanded legal. But Expanded is mental and this deck would die a horrible and painful death.

Could you please explain?  I only play expanded, but then it's only me and one of my buddies that ever play.  We don't play any minions past movie block except for nazgul and possibly a gollum card or two.  We only use free peoples cards.  The main thing is that we use is cards like Riders of the Mark for Rohan, or Elladan and Elrohir for Elvent, or Proud and Able for dwarves, for instance.  I'm just wondering what things make it so mental.  Thanks!

January 10, 2010, 08:19:35 PM
Reply #11

sharkey

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
Expanded is the only good format... Least that's my opinion. All others block my decks from reaching their full potential.

January 11, 2010, 01:36:41 AM
Reply #12

Smeagollum

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:36:41 AM »
Expanded is the only good format... Least that's my opinion. All others block my decks from reaching their full potential.

Ah!!! But there lies the challenge ;) I make decks which are a challenge for me to play: For instance only tt-block. Then it's a nuacense when people play expanded, because they like to win.

January 11, 2010, 04:21:29 AM
Reply #13

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 04:21:29 AM »
Expanded means Rapid Reload / Demoralized. 9 companion Ithilien Blade and Ent decks. Ninja Gollum with Not This Time and They Stole It. Nazgul Turbo Corrupt...

Most people wont play harsh decks like this.

January 11, 2010, 04:35:11 AM
Reply #14

Smeagollum

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 04:35:11 AM »
Expanded means Rapid Reload / Demoralized. 9 companion Ithilien Blade and Ent decks. Ninja Gollum with Not This Time and They Stole It. Nazgul Turbo Corrupt...

Most people wont play harsh decks like this.

Exactly... which is no fun. Also no fun are Trolldecks with mountain troll & keyward or Orcwounding with wargs. Actually a total lack of being creative..