LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: A different kind of Gondor Wraith  (Read 5628 times)

January 20, 2010, 07:33:43 AM
Read 5628 times

Smeagollum

A different kind of Gondor Wraith
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »
A different take on Gondor Wraith in movieblock. Played it years ago and actually It was fun to do so. It's not a top deck, but for fun I think it's okay.

The One Ring, The Binding Ring
Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms

Start:
Gandalf, Leader of Men
Oathbreaker
Galadriel, Lady Redeemed

Fellowship:
Legolas, Greenleaf
2 Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
Vilya
Narya
3 The Shards of Narsil
4 Elf Song
4 Banner of the White Tree
Gandalf, The Grey Pilgrim
Sent back
Swept Away
Anduril, Flame of the West
3 Saved From the Fire
3 King of the Dead, Oathbreaker
2 Sleepless Dead
Narsil, Blade of the Faithful
Scroll of Isildur
4 Sapling of the White Tree
3 Aragorn, Elessar Telcontar

Shadow:
4 Black Numenorean
4 Castamir of Umbar
4 Black Sails of Umbar
4 Corsair Marauder
4 Corsair Plunderer
4 Corsair War Galley
4 Ships of Great Draught
4 Corsair Freebooter
2 Wind That Sped Ships
3 Raider Halberd
Ulaire Enquea, Faster Than Winds

Edit II: After testing it enered sb & another Gandie. Just 1 shards of narsil is sufficient.

Edit: Took out the still sharp and a sapling to put in Elf song and Galadriel.

Tactics:
This deck main abillity is that it cycles fast so I'm able to build up a corsair bomb. I think the corsair bomb is quite obvious, so I go further to the Fellowship. With Gandalf as starting companion I'm able with using 'saved from the fire ' to cycle  and get the main cards fast. With 'Narya' i also have some burden removal.

It's important to get 'Shards of Narsil' in play fast. That way I can stack [Gondor] cards with I don't need at that moment. I can always play them later when needed. It also makes the deck a bit faster.

I don't want to use possesions, because nowdays it's to easy for the shadow to remove them and that can be very painfull for instance against Corsairs. So i use a lot of artifacts for getting stronger or to pprevents wounds or to heal or to get more resistance.To make 'Ring of barahir' work I use my only condition: Garrison of Osgiliath.
Elrond and his ring are in for extra healing and to bounce shadow conditions.

I use 'Still sharp'because it gives a [Gondor] companion a +3 strength and a +1 damage bonus.
With 'Banner of the White Tree' I can give a wraith a +5 strenth bonus plus he get's defender +1. Whcih makes this event very usefull: Imagine a exhausted 'King of the dead' after using banner: He get's 18 strenth strong.

The companions are I think obvious, save 'Aragorn, Elessar Telcontar'. Well I use him so that I can either exert a wraith to heal Gandalf. Or exert Gandalf to heal Isuldur. or use it for Legolas. He's in to shoot something away when I need to. And he's an extra comp if i need one.

My choise for the binding ring is because I want to have 'Narya' on Gandalf fast.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:25:06 AM by Smeagollum »

January 20, 2010, 08:46:36 AM
Reply #1

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: A different kind of Gondor Wraith
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:46:36 AM »
I consider Swept Away as one of the best Gondor wraith card but I understand your concern with possession and condition being discarded. I personally don't like Shard of Narsil.

Since you have little conditions in your deck, why not having Sleep, Caradhras? What about Roll of Thunder? I consider Gandalf's staff to be a much better card than Ring of Barahir. Narya isn't enough for this deck. You should put Sam, SoH too. How are you going to remove threats?

January 20, 2010, 08:48:05 AM
Reply #2

Kralik

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
I like the concept! I'd be a bit concerned about the burdens on Isildur with no burden removal, though. Saved from the Fire is quite handy with wraiths since it lets you clear out threats. :) No space or use for even 1 Swept Away?

January 20, 2010, 02:28:04 PM
Reply #3

Smeagollum

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
I like the concept! I'd be a bit concerned about the burdens on Isildur with no burden removal, though. Saved from the Fire is quite handy with wraiths since it lets you clear out threats. :) No space or use for even 1 Swept Away?

I consider Swept Away as one of the best Gondor wraith card but I understand your concern with possession and condition being discarded.

I actually share the idea that Swept away is a great card. Normally I run it in a wraith deck, but this time I chosed not to. I don't see any room for it. Unless I take out one scroll of Isuldur... So that's what I did!

I consider Swept Away as one of the best Gondor wraith card but I understand your concern with possession and condition being discarded. I personally don't like Shard of Narsil.

Ah, but mon ami.... Moi love Shards.. It makes your deck so fast... Your hand won't be slown down by your own fellowship.

Since you have little conditions in your deck, why not having Sleep, Caradhras? What about Roll of Thunder? I consider Gandalf's staff to be a much better card than Ring of Barahir. Narya isn't enough for this deck. You should put Sam, SoH too. How are you going to remove threats?

Great cards indeed, but Gandalfs staff is not really needed. I had it in first, but then realised that it's another pool of twillight and you only use it to give yourself 2 exertions and cancel a skirmish. Is nice but then I rather have a wound from a skirmish and spare space for Shards of Narsil. The other 2 gandalf cars you mentioned are great, but can;t stack on Shards, so it will slow down my hand. Sam is out of the question, because it gives me 4 cultures.. and then I get scared for a grimma.. (which I myself use often in filmblock) don't want to be scared for that one. So I take the risk for burden decks. If it happens then it happens. But yeah I'm afraid for Enduring Enquea. Gandalfs staff would help to evade the treat a bit, but if the shadow has enough twillight then I'm sure that Big G won't be assigned to him. So if I see a burden deck, then I start running on kate's bushe hill :)

January 20, 2010, 02:38:32 PM
Reply #4

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »
Grima, Chief Counselor is hardly prevalent enough in Movie Block to not run at least one copy of Sam, Son of Hamfast. Remove three burdens and throw him in front of Sauron, The Lord of the Rings.

Other threat removal options include Aragorn, Driven By Need, Nine-Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom (with a [Shire] Ring-bearer), and Citadel to Gate.
-wtk

January 20, 2010, 02:58:09 PM
Reply #5

Smeagollum

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 02:58:09 PM »
Grima, Chief Counselor is hardly prevalent enough in Movie Block to not run at least one copy of Sam, Son of Hamfast. Remove three burdens and throw him in front of Sauron, The Lord of the Rings.

Other threat removal options include Aragorn, Driven By Need, Nine-Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom (with a [Shire] Ring-bearer), and Citadel to Gate.
-wtk

Why should I need treat removal? I clear them with saved from the fire. Actually that's maybe a reason not to put in a Swept Away. No, I'm not concerned about threats. Burdens yes, but that's a risk I just take, because I don't want more then 3 cultures. Grima is not the only concern, there's also an Orc Insurgent which generate extra cards for my opponent and that's what I like even less. And Sam doesn't fit in the theme as well. Besides that then I rather put in 4 x elfsong.. but that will also mean that I'll slow down my hand. I could take out still sharp for them... but rather not like to.

January 20, 2010, 03:03:28 PM
Reply #6

Smeagollum

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
Oeps.. just realised that there's the solution! Take out Legolas and put in Galdriel Lr. In that case elfsong can also be used to discard a shadow possesion or condition.

January 20, 2010, 11:50:56 PM
Reply #7

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »
What about one more Gandalf in your deck, preferably Grey Pilgrim. Just burn Leader of Men to play Grey Pilgrim, Narya, and take another Saved from the Fire in your hand. What cards do you pull out if you get SftF in your first hand and burn Oathbreaker, anyway?

Btw. how do you get rid of threats with SftF? You have to assign them to your companions, but I don't see how that is a good thing? ;)
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

January 21, 2010, 03:03:50 AM
Reply #8

Smeagollum

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:03:50 AM »
What about one more Gandalf in your deck, preferably Grey Pilgrim. Just burn Leader of Men to play Grey Pilgrim, Narya, and take another Saved from the Fire in your hand. What cards do you pull out if you get SftF in your first hand and burn Oathbreaker, anyway?

That would mean that I've or to add another 2 cards, which I don't prefer while the deck is already 38/38. Or change 2 cars, which I don't want, because it will ruin the concept. But I gonna test it tomorrow and will also test a variation with Sb and Grey Pilgrim (in that case I would throw Ring of Barahir and garrison of Osgiliath out). Other problem is that I allready have 9 companions. Playing Gandalf a second time will mean that I'll be on 10 companions, so I'll not be able to play one of them.

If shards is not in my hand. I burn oath breaker down to get: Shards,.
If shards is in my hand: Aragorn, sleepless dead and kodd. I stack Aragorn on shards,

Btw. how do you get rid of threats with SftF? You have to assign them to your companions, but I don't see how that is a good thing? ;)

I don't mind it because the wraith are getting stronger. Imagine: I kill Oathbreaker, take threat on Gandalf or galadriel. Heal on sanctuary otherwise heal him by playing aragorn. Then Sleepless dead get's killed take the wound on Kodd or on Galadriel. If opponent doesn't play with condition I let galadriel killed or I kill her myself to get Elrond, his ring and Legolas.

In the end I want these companions without threats on table: Isuldur (rb), Gandalf, Legolas, Aragorn and king of the dead. I probably will put Banner of the white tree on shards as I will do with swept away. Take them in hand on site 7 and use them afterwards on Kodd who'll get defender +3 str 22 and will not be able to get wounds, so he won't die unless opponent is able to get 44 str. on him.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:10:24 AM by Smeagollum »

January 22, 2010, 10:27:35 AM
Reply #9

Smeagollum

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:27:35 AM »
What about one more Gandalf in your deck, preferably Grey Pilgrim. Just burn Leader of Men to play Grey Pilgrim, Narya, and take another Saved from the Fire in your hand.

You're right about that one. Test it and had no problem with the fellowship. I added 4 burdens myself and got them all removed. Threats also no problem.