LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fellowship Block Fliers  (Read 5537 times)

January 22, 2010, 07:55:16 PM
Read 5537 times

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
Fellowship Block Fliers
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »
I know I scared Kendrick with all the talk of new playing styles, but really I was just playing around with ideas :)

So anyways, I had some time to work on a flier.  I know it isn't perfect and there are flaws, but I thought I'd throw it up so you could see it.

There are two versions, a big sized one useful for actual printing (or seeing it on a big monitor), and a small one as a preview.

Give me your input (and no I'm not sure we can officially produce these until we're cleared by Decipher).

Large size:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m218/Ranofer/FullSize-1.jpg

Preview:

January 22, 2010, 08:10:52 PM
Reply #1

Kenddrick

Re: Fellowship Block Fliers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
Brilliant!

80% of it looks good, but I've got questions for the remaining 20%.

-The LotR: TCG logo and the bottom looks a bit weird.
-Random Bilbo at the side? :

January 22, 2010, 08:25:41 PM
Reply #2

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »
looks good - as it is intended to promote the game i think it is important to also promote TLHH so new players end up visiting here. I would put a link (www.lotrtcgwiki.com) on the flier. If it is meant to promote organised play i would perhaps make the link even more direct to tournament information as its location in Valinor is not easy found unless you look around the site first.

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,3883.0.html

January 22, 2010, 08:40:20 PM
Reply #3

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:40:20 PM »

Did a new version. 

A link would be a really good idea, what having a simpler link looks better that way someone isn't typing in a long link :) 

I need better wording though, I just threw something up there to show what I was thinking but really Fellowship block style isn't new.

January 22, 2010, 09:19:52 PM
Reply #4

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:19:52 PM »
I like what you have ... but it may read better if it says:

Two have set forth from the safety of the Shire (instead of the two have set forth ..."

Also "The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game Player Committe introduces an exciting new way to play the classic" may be better as:

The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game Players Committee introduces an exciting new way to play the classic game. Join your local playing group now.

And you might like to add something like this:
Information about the forming Players Committee, and resources for playing LOTR TCG can be found at The Last Homely House (www.lotrtcgwiki.com).

January 23, 2010, 08:16:47 AM
Reply #5

Kenddrick

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 08:16:47 AM »
Hmm agreed. :D

January 24, 2010, 03:54:17 PM
Reply #6

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
Hey guys, I think I missed part of this conversation. Are you talking about local real-world playing groups or online? Also, when you say "a new way to play" do you guys have house rules you're using? An x-list? Something like that?

I'm working on organizing local Fship block play, and we're talking about a Fship x-list and restricted list. Wondering if anyone else has done something similar, and how that worked?

January 24, 2010, 04:44:43 PM
Reply #7

Kenddrick

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
Well I guess the flier can be used to promote both online and real life play. It's just to generate interest, nothing more. :)

January 24, 2010, 05:48:04 PM
Reply #8

azogsbane

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
I love the visual part of the design.

The LOTRTCG logo in the second one looks a lot better. But I also think you place it above the words "Fellowship Block," not below.

Some of the wording needs improvement. How about this:

"Two have set forth from the safety of the Shire
A dark road lies before them, but they are not without allies
They join with two of their kindred, and a stranger met at Bree
At Rivendell, four more commit, and they become known as
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING"

That can probably be improved on as well.

January 24, 2010, 07:43:44 PM
Reply #9

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 07:43:44 PM »
I like the wording you have used azogsbane - flows better.

5tein - there has been some discussion about various strategies that can be used to get new players to play the game using real cards. It seems agreed that a focus on FoTR block is a good way to start as the rules were simplest then. The largest issue that comes with using this block though is out-of-print and harder to access cards from RotEL. What the new way to play is - i don't actually know - i think it depends more on your local playing group. It could be anything your local group decides on.

From my perspective the new way to play would be 'house rules' - anything that aids in building up my local playing group. It might be simply playing FoTR block format. Or perhaps allowing printable proxies from the out-of-print set 3 assuming the players want to do that. If we do go down this path (assuming it is even necessary), it will only be in use for local play, as it is not sanctioned as yet by Decipher. It may also be that we use printable proxies for all errata cards from the first three sets. I guess it all comes down to what my local playing group wants to do.

January 25, 2010, 09:10:45 AM
Reply #10

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
I do indeed like those words alot better azog.  I just threw some words to give a taste of what it would look like :)

As for the new way to play, I really had no idea what to put there.  My original idea was to use this as a local gaming store flier so people could start to get interested again.  If you guys can think of something better to say by all means we can do it.

Perhaps something like: New playing groups are sprouting up like mushrooms everywhere, get in today!

I really was never good with words, just design stuff :) And if anyone has a better idea for what cards should be on the flier I can fix that as well.  Perhaps something like all the hobbits, or frodo and aragorn and Sam or something.  Just let me know :)

January 25, 2010, 11:11:07 AM
Reply #11

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
there has been some discussion about various strategies that can be used to get new players to play the game using real cards. It seems agreed that a focus on FoTR block is a good way to start as the rules were simplest then. The largest issue that comes with using this block though is out-of-print and harder to access cards from RotEL. What the new way to play is - i don't actually know - i think it depends more on your local playing group. It could be anything your local group decides on.

From my perspective the new way to play would be 'house rules' - anything that aids in building up my local playing group. ... it will only be in use for local play, as it is not sanctioned as yet by Decipher.

Gotcha!

I see there is a lot of disagreement from folks on what could/should/shouldn't be "done to" Fship block--some say x-list, some say restricted, some say leave as is, some say add v cards, some say change rules/add mechanics...

I think I'm going to take some of ket_the-jet's advice (http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,3813.0.html) and focus on my local group rather than work on a consensus here. Not that I don't care what you all think, but that it doesn't really matter when we get together and play on a random Saturday.

So we'll probably do "community" rules for Fship block and adjust them as needed. I'll probably continue to post what we do here, just so others can see what we're finding.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:15:04 AM by 5tein »

January 31, 2010, 04:50:06 PM
Reply #12

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 04:50:06 PM »
I took the time to fix up what I put together already but once again I need opinions :)

Let me know what you think, and if you need the better res one for printing, I can send it to you :)

February 01, 2010, 07:59:19 AM
Reply #13

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 07:59:19 AM »
Looks nice!

February 01, 2010, 10:33:21 AM
Reply #14

Kenddrick