LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Elven/Gondor Rangers and... Twilight Nazzies  (Read 8779 times)

January 30, 2010, 09:46:06 AM
Read 8779 times

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Elven/Gondor Rangers and... Twilight Nazzies
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:46:06 AM »
Hi ket!
There's another deck with my favorite deck type: Twilight Nazzies, this time fellowship block:

Frodo, RA
ToR, IB

Freeps, 32 cards:

1x Arwen, DoE (starting)
1x Legolas, Greenleaf (starting)
1x Aragorn, HttWC
2x Boromir, DoMT
1x Aragorn's Bow
1x Ranger's Sword
2x Flaming Brand
1x Blade of Gondor
3x No stranger to the Shadows
3x A Ranger's Versatility
3x An Able Guide
1x The Saga of Elendil
1x Sting
3x Hobbit Stealth
1x The Tale of Gil-Galad
2x The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
2x The Council of Elrond
1x Elven Bow
1x Asfaloth
1x Gwemegil

Shadow, 32 cards:

1x The Balrog, Durin's Bane
3x The Witch-King, Lord of the Nazgul
3x Ulaire Nelya, Ringwraith in Twilight
3x Ulaire Enquea, Ringwraith in Twilight
2x Ulaire Toldea, Messenger of Morgul
3x Ulaire Otsea, Lieutenant of Morgul
2x Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
2x Morgul Skulker
4x Goblin Runner
2x His Terrible Servants
4x Resistance becomes unbearable
3x Wraith World

I know it looks a little strange, but I never built a Ranger/Last Alliance-Deck before, so could you give me some advice, preferably complete Decklists, but I wanna the keep the main strategy of Tales and Rangers Choke.

January 30, 2010, 09:54:02 AM
Reply #1

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Elven/Gondor Rangers and... Twilight Nazzies
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
You don't need 2 Arwen if she is in your starting fellowship. I suggest that you add more copies of your other companions if you want to draw them before the game ends.

January 30, 2010, 09:57:31 AM
Reply #2

Yanko Markovic

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
"To ask if Orcs "are" Communists is to me as sensible as asking if Communists are Orcs." - JRR Tolkien, regarding his "allegory".

January 30, 2010, 10:00:50 AM
Reply #3

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »
You do know A Ranger's Versatility was errata'd, right? Still a good card, but no longer a great card...

I don't think What Are They? is overly helpful in FoTR Block...I'd probably rather see some Hobbit Stealth. No Blade of Gondor? Gwemegil (best cycling card in FoTR Block...)
-wtk

I know about the errata, that's why I play just 3 of them and not 4.

It is worth noting that your obsession with Twilight [Wraith] is creepy.
-wtk

It really is.

You don't need 2 Arwen if she is in your starting fellowship. I suggest that you add more copies of your other companions if you want to draw them before the game ends.

Fixed.

More An able guide.

Also Fixed

January 30, 2010, 10:06:51 AM
Reply #4

Yanko Markovic

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »
Now THIS approaches a lot to my FOTR rangers, but although Boromir DoMT is a good choice to have a fully healed fighter each turn, this is Fotr, so I'd pack an Armor and Boromir, Lord of Gondor instead... against the Balrog, which is very´played in Fotr.

I love your shadow though. I really like Twilight Nazzies!
"To ask if Orcs "are" Communists is to me as sensible as asking if Communists are Orcs." - JRR Tolkien, regarding his "allegory".

January 30, 2010, 10:08:09 AM
Reply #5

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 10:08:09 AM »
Now THIS approaches a lot to my FOTR rangers, but although Boromir DoMT is a good choice to have a fully healed fighter each turn, this is Fotr, so I'd pack an Armor and Boromir, Lord of Gondor instead... against the Balrog, which is very´played in Fotr.

I love your shadow though. I really like Twilight Nazzies!

Nice to see somebody who share my opinion!

Balrog? Hobbit Stealth

January 30, 2010, 10:14:08 AM
Reply #6

Yanko Markovic

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »
Okay. Then I would add another hobbit stealth. 2 seems too little.

Yea, Twilightguls rock! I use them with Dwarves though, they cycle very well.

January 30, 2010, 10:15:51 AM
Reply #7

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
Remove 1 No Stranger to the Shadow and add 1 copy of Boromir.
Remove 1 Council of Elrond and add 1 copy of Aragorn (unless you want to bid 3 and start, but in FOTR block, sometimes bidding 3 is not enough).

January 30, 2010, 10:19:38 AM
Reply #8

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »
Remove 1 No Stranger to the Shadow and add 1 copy of Boromir.
Remove 1 Council of Elrond and add 1 copy of Aragorn (unless you want to bid 3 and start, but in FOTR block, sometimes bidding 3 is not enough).

OK

January 30, 2010, 12:05:49 PM
Reply #9

Tubulario

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »
Freeps could use more copies of Aragorn, HttWc, or maybe somethig (Sam, Son of Hamfast) to remove burdens and help  biding high to pull Aragorn at site 1. Burn Sam ASAP so you dont give him the 6° companion.
An Able Guide needs quite a set up to work, shadow player has to leave Twilight unused, maybe Gondor's Vengeance, or Pursuit Just Behind could help you double moving. At this point youll be needing Might Of Numenor to remove the exertions.(if you choke well his expencive minions will be in hand, or unluckly in discard  #-o)
Moria seems like a problem since you have no condition removal, PATHS might do the job, wich also fits the Greenleaf - Aragorns bow - A Ranger's Versatility strategy.
Armor is a must to deal with Uruks, maybe not too many since youll be choking, but as stated before can help against the balrog (only if you get a gondorian with his weapon).
·Filibert Bolger, Wily Rascal is great against Nazgul and the Balrog, but keep in mind how often you want to use Sting.
The Council of Elrond seems way to expencive for a choke theme deck,  nice deck size reduction, but 2 its a lot of pool. So far never played Hosts of the Last Alliance, seems nice, but expencive again.
I would suggest:
+1Sam, Son of Hamfast
+1 Armor
+2 PATHS (3 bid+1Prancing Pony+2 PATHS-3 Sam =3 Burdens seems right)
+2 Might Of Numenor
If you dont get to start with a bid of 3 kill them in Ford of Bruinen:twisted: Hopefully... :-S
-2 The Council of Elrond
-2 An Able guide
-1 A Ranger's Versatility (if you started, rivers come from site 6 on, unless facing Nazgul)
-1 Hosts of the Last Alliance.

Shadow side could exchange Goblin Runner for Morgul Gates, also better use for  Morgul Skulker ;)
If you are planing to add burdens, Balrog takes away your site 5, so i would consider adding Must do without Hope
here youll be needing to cycle before(to get) and after(get rid of) MDWH, so  Gwemegil looks nice.
+2 Gwemegil (First one Cycles the other)
-1  Asfaloth
+1 Morgul Gates
This leaves 33-33 deck but with Cycling ;D

Add a Enquea, LOM, and if you draw him early discard and recycle with Morgul Skulker.
+1 Enquea, LOM
+2 Morgul Gates
+4 Must do without Hope
-4  Goblin Runner
-1 Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
-1 Wraith World
-1 Ulaire Otsea, Lieutenant of Morgul

Well, I think i went too far on the review :-[ but, anyway hope its usefull.

February 01, 2010, 03:28:49 AM
Reply #10

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 03:28:49 AM »
Freeps could use more copies of Aragorn, HttWc, or maybe somethig (Sam, Son of Hamfast) to remove burdens and help  biding high to pull Aragorn at site 1. Burn Sam ASAP so you dont give him the 6° companion.
An Able Guide needs quite a set up to work, shadow player has to leave Twilight unused, maybe Gondor's Vengeance, or Pursuit Just Behind could help you double moving. At this point youll be needing Might Of Numenor to remove the exertions.(if you choke well his expencive minions will be in hand, or unluckly in discard  #-o)
Moria seems like a problem since you have no condition removal, PATHS might do the job, wich also fits the Greenleaf - Aragorns bow - A Ranger's Versatility strategy.
Armor is a must to deal with Uruks, maybe not too many since youll be choking, but as stated before can help against the balrog (only if you get a gondorian with his weapon).
·Filibert Bolger, Wily Rascal is great against Nazgul and the Balrog, but keep in mind how often you want to use Sting.
The Council of Elrond seems way to expencive for a choke theme deck,  nice deck size reduction, but 2 its a lot of pool. So far never played Hosts of the Last Alliance, seems nice, but expencive again.
I would suggest:
+1Sam, Son of Hamfast
+1 Armor
+2 PATHS (3 bid+1Prancing Pony+2 PATHS-3 Sam =3 Burdens seems right)
+2 Might Of Numenor
If you dont get to start with a bid of 3 kill them in Ford of Bruinen:twisted: Hopefully... :-S
-2 The Council of Elrond
-2 An Able guide
-1 A Ranger's Versatility (if you started, rivers come from site 6 on, unless facing Nazgul)
-1 Hosts of the Last Alliance.

Shadow side could exchange Goblin Runner for Morgul Gates, also better use for  Morgul Skulker ;)
If you are planing to add burdens, Balrog takes away your site 5, so i would consider adding Must do without Hope
here youll be needing to cycle before(to get) and after(get rid of) MDWH, so  Gwemegil looks nice.
+2 Gwemegil (First one Cycles the other)
-1  Asfaloth
+1 Morgul Gates
This leaves 33-33 deck but with Cycling ;D

Add a Enquea, LOM, and if you draw him early discard and recycle with Morgul Skulker.
+1 Enquea, LOM
+2 Morgul Gates
+4 Must do without Hope
-4  Goblin Runner
-1 Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
-1 Wraith World
-1 Ulaire Otsea, Lieutenant of Morgul

Well, I think i went too far on the review :-[ but, anyway hope its usefull.

First, nice to see some new, interested member(S) in here!
As this is Choke, I would prefer to run Sam, FC with 2x Bill the Pony instead of Sam, SoH and maybe A Talent for Not Being Seen.
As for that, I bid high but I don't use PATHS, Hobbit Stealth isdoing a good job, too. I do not like Armor, thus, it does not fit in the strategy.
The coucil of Elrond is another part, adding 2 twilight seems not so hard as I remove it with HttWC, and grabbing Last Alliance is very importantto have a strong Fellowship, and I am thinking of adding Elrond-Drawer and Secret Sentinels.

An able Guide is also a key of the strategy, cus' when you put in just a few twilight, the opponent isn't playing anything at all and you double-move, you'll get swarmed during the following move. Same for Sting.
Agree Might of Numenor.
"-1 A Ranger's Versatility (if you started, rivers come from site 6 on, unless facing Nazgul)" I AM playing Nazgul ;)

As for Shadow, Goblinn runner is there cus' you can also do a little Swarm with Goblin Runner, Morgul Skulker, Swarm Nertea etc.
Balrog is ust a random surprise for Site 5, and that's why I do not want to add other cards for him.
I decided to not run Shotgun Enquea, and as for the Nazzies are all unique, I it's better to run 3x Twilight Enquea. Another reason is Wraith World which is a pretty strong Combo with RBU, adding much more burdens then MdwH.
And as for Otsea, I'm planning to make my Witch-King fierce to kill the Ring-Bearer then, just look at other topics like in Towers where I'm running something similar to this, but with Fell Beast.