LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Goblin Archers (Shadow only)  (Read 12684 times)

February 13, 2010, 01:05:36 PM
Read 12684 times

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Goblin Archers (Shadow only)
« on: February 13, 2010, 01:05:36 PM »
well, this is the first time I build a Goblin Archery Deck (btw, I have all these cards physically!) , but I hope it's good, anyway:

Shadow (33):

4x Goblin Marksman
4x Goblin Bowman
3x Moria Archer Troop
4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Scavengers
2x Archer Commander
1x The Balrog, FoU
4x Goblin Scimitar
2x They are Coming
2x Goblin Swarms
1x Goblin Armory
2x Shotgun Enquea

The strategy should be quiet clear: Shoot them down!
Play some archers, wound the companions, let them getting discarded or, if possible, stacked on Goblin Swamrs, and then make a big Bomb at Site 5 with The Balrog, FoU!
I also thought of relying more on Goblin Swamrs, with some Guard commander and maybe Ancient Chieftain in there.

And here's the version I dream to have:   :'(

Shadow (35):

4x Goblin Marksman
4x Goblin Bowman
4x Moria Archer Troop (miss one)
4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Scimitar
2x Host of thousands
2x Archer Commander
1x The Balrog, FoU
2x Goblin Swarms
4x Goblin Armory (miss 3 -> anybody has this one, pls..  [-o< [-o<)
2x Relics of Moria
2x Shotgun Enquea

still too much, what should I cut from this version?

February 13, 2010, 02:18:14 PM
Reply #1

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
Re: Goblin Archers (Shadow only)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »
host of thousands to pull key cards back, maybe lose the armory and a couple scavengers, moria archery is basically pulling a moria archer troop and a archer commander every site to win skirmishes and throw out 3+ archery
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

February 13, 2010, 02:42:34 PM
Reply #2

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
Why do you only use 1 Goblin Armory? Archers are expensive and you will need twilight to provide a good number of wounds. You should have 4 (unless you don't own 4). You need at least 2 Ulaire Enquea, LoM to kill large fellowships and also due to Isildur's Bane. Moria Archer Troop is awesome, I would use 4. Host of Thousands is nice with archers. I'm pretty sure you can play a 35 cards Moria Archery deck easily.

I'd prefer having 2 Relics of Moria instead of all the Goblin Scavengers but that's a question of opinion I guess.

February 13, 2010, 09:54:00 PM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
c-work is making it happen tonight!

I agree with his call on Relics of Moria over Goblin Scavengers and of course four copies of Goblin Armory are expected.

I am one of the few people on this site who hates Host of Thousands in [Moria] swarm decks, but in [Moria] archery decks, it is the tits. I say run four of those and just one copy of They Are Coming since a [Moria] archery deck doesn't have as much that can be haphazardly discarded.

Keep in mind to discard Goblin Scimitar whenever you can. You can always bring that back from the discard pile!
-wtk

February 14, 2010, 12:27:37 PM
Reply #4

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
First, thanks for all the replies!

Well, I also don't like Host of Thousands when you draw it during 1st or 2nd turn, it's just... annoying... useless.

Seriously guys, Goblin Armory is a card I'm looking for cus' I actually own only 1 copy  :'(

4th copy of Moria Archer Troop looks like a pretty nice idea, but I think this guy is very expensive, though.

Shotgun enquea? It's nearly impossible that I could have forgotten to put a Nazzie in one of my decks!

I also prefer Goblin Scavengers to Relics of Moria cus' of the armories missing, but with those, I should be alright.

Anyone has 3 Goblin Armories to trade with me, pls?  [-o< [-o<

February 15, 2010, 08:13:57 AM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:13:57 AM »
Well, I also don't like Host of Thousands when you draw it during 1st or 2nd turn, it's just... annoying... useless.
Mulligan.

4th copy of Moria Archer Troop looks like a pretty nice idea, but I think this guy is very expensive, though.
You aren't trying to swarm your opponent for. Moria Archer Troop is expensive for a reason...it often dishes two arrows per turn. And at Brown Lands? Well...it's just nasty.

I also prefer Goblin Scavengers to Relics of Moria cus' of the armories missing, but with those, I should be alright.
I still think I prefer Relics of Moria. It is fewer cards, and Goblin Scavengers is [3] as opposed to [2] to grab a Goblin Scimitar. Wouldn't you want to use that extra [1] on another Goblin Bowman or Goblin Marksman?
-wtk

February 15, 2010, 08:27:22 AM
Reply #6

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »
1. Agree to that.
2. a) In my Meta, my friend always plays with my Ranger choke, so even playing a 2nd archer is really hard for me.
2. b) I have only 3 ...
3. Ok, but you also get a 8 strength dude, right?

February 15, 2010, 08:31:41 AM
Reply #7

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:31:41 AM »
3. Ok, but you also get a 8 strength dude, right?

Sure, but out of context to your deck's intentions. A Goblin Marksman with Archer Commander in play is a strength 9 and an archer. But the real reason I recommend Relics of Moria is because you could have two copies of Relics of Moria in the place of four copies of Goblin Scavengers.

I would rather see a copy or two of Bitter Hatred or a copy or two of Shotgun Enquea (still missing) in those two card slots. Or a few copies of Orc Soldier to finish off the opponent's companions.
-wtk

February 15, 2010, 12:28:01 PM
Reply #8

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
2. a) In my Meta, my friend always plays with my Ranger choke, so even playing a 2nd archer is really hard for me.
Hehe. Once you will have 4 Goblin Armory, things are going to be easy for you.

February 15, 2010, 03:32:04 PM
Reply #9

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 03:32:04 PM »
Once you have four copies of Goblin Armory, it will be a net [2] per Goblin Scimitar if you are using Relics of Moria to grab them from the discard pile instead of net [1].

Your dream version of the deck is 36 cards. I like the deck at 36 cards; however, I would consider these amendments:
-1 Goblin Marksman
+1 They Are Coming

-1 Goblin Runner
+1 Bitter Hatred

Bitter Hatred will be important as Legolas, Greenleaf can knock out your Goblin Bowman and Goblin Marksman before they get a chance to do their damage. It is also helpful against [Elven] allies like Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad, Rumil, Elven Protector, and others.
-wtk

February 16, 2010, 06:48:12 AM
Reply #10

Fierce

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 06:48:12 AM »
Nice! Moria Archery is a great shadow and a lot of fun to play!

Moria Axe is actually quite useful in a Moria Archer deck. If possible, give it to the Moria Archer Troop to deal +1 damage and pump his strength, put the Troop on Swarms and then recycle the Axe with Relics. Ideally, the Moria Archer Troop can exert twice raising it's strength to 14. And with just one Armory out the axe is free!

Other surprise cards in a Moria Archer Deck is either Denizens Enraged or Drums in the Deep. No one expects pumps in a Moria deck and if you can get your minions through the archery phase a surprise pump is often the difference between a dead goblin and and a goblin on Swarms.

I would ditch the Balrog and maybe a couple of Goblin Runners for 2 Moria Axe and 1 Enquea. You can easily go to 36-38 cards with a good cycling FP side. Dwarves combined with Gandalf the Grey Pilgrim is perfect.

The aim of a Moria Archer deck is obviously to deal a lot of damage in the archery phase. That's the reason I think Ancient Chieftain doesn't fit. Guard Commander can pump your archers for Swarms but since he is on the table the Free People player can do some smart assigning and neutralize his ability (that's why I prefer a pump in hand).

Just som thoughts.

Fierce

February 16, 2010, 05:57:53 PM
Reply #11

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
Your dream version looks great, however it lacks Ulaire Enquea, LoM. BTW you have 8 Goblin Scimitar in it. Remove 4 and you will have a decent number of cards.

February 17, 2010, 02:27:48 AM
Reply #12

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 02:27:48 AM »
Your dream version looks great, however it lacks Ulaire Enquea, LoM. BTW you have 8 Goblin Scimitar in it. Remove 4 and you will have a decent number of cards.

Oooops!

I already thought there was something wrong going on in here..  :-k :-k

Seems as we arrived at a point of playing-style discussion, somebody thinks that Shotgun Enquea is necessary at least two copies, others do not.

Well, I'd say it's not too bad running 2 copies cus' against larger fellowships, he can kill Greenleaf and maybe Aragorn with his bow, so...

EDIT: Btw, 35 cards look nice in a Moria Deck!

February 17, 2010, 08:03:40 AM
Reply #13

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:03:40 AM »
i like it, the dream version that is
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

February 17, 2010, 11:13:43 AM
Reply #14

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 11:13:43 AM »
Running 2 Enquea is nice because if you draw one early, you can discard it and wait to draw the other one later when you will really need it.