LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Forth The Three Hunters! (FP only)  (Read 3469 times)

July 03, 2008, 09:41:09 AM
Read 3469 times

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Forth The Three Hunters! (FP only)
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:41:09 AM »
I can't believe no one's posted a Three Hunters deck here yet. :o

I've been tinkering with a couple for a while, and I think this is my most promising one yet (at least on paper :roll:).

FREE PEOPLES (37 cards):

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit w/ The Ring of Doom

Legolas, Of the Woodland Realm (starting)
Gimli, Eager Hunter (starting)
Aragorn, Thorongil (Prancing Pony pull)

Sting, Elven Long Knife
Bow of the Galadhrim
Legolas' Sword
Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
Anduril, Sword That Was Broken
Aragorn's Bow, Ranger's Longbow x2
Ranger's Cloak
Ring of Barahir

Faith In Friendship
Namarie x4
Focus x3
Forth The Three Hunters x3
Gondor Bowmen x2

Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom x4
Quick As May Be x4
Trust x4

This deck can do a little of everything, but mostly, it wounds like crazy. It can throw out maneuver and archery wounding with Legolas, Ranger's Longbow, Gondor Bowmen, and of course, Quick As May Be (the main reason I took this from Standard to Expanded). :twisted: NfFatRoD and Elven Long Knife peel threats back off so Aragorn can dish out max archery again the next turn, giving the potential, with everything combined, of 10 wounds dished out during a single archery phase, plus potentially more with FtTH's archery ability, Legolas' ability, and more wounds dished out earlier (in maneuver) by QAMB. Evil.

There's also fun in the skirmish phase for anything that survives. FtTH's skirmish ability lets an exertion by Aragorn make any minion strength -3...best if used with Legolas, who if he wins that skirmish, can heal Aragorn right back up with Focus. And with Bow of the Galadhrim, Legolas ALSO gets to toss out an extra wound once he wins, as well. :up: Assuming you have a number of threats out from Ranger's Longbow, Gimli with his axe is a 12-strength damage +2 monster. Aragorn with Anduril is also 12-strength damage +1. Perhaps the best part about skirmishing with Aragorn, though, is getting to use Trust. Even if you don't particularly need the +2 strength, spotting an [Elven] token (which should be out in abundance with 4 copies of Namarie) lets you heal a companion...ANY companion. Frodo used a couple NfFatRoD and needs a heal? Here it is. Legolas healing Gimli and Aragorn well but hurting himself? Heal him up with Trust. Had to exert Aragorn for FtTH more times than Legolas could cover? Heal Aragorn with his own event!

There's more healing, too. Legolas with his sword gets to spot wounded minions when moving to heal himself, setting up an extra exertion for him when you double move. And the Ring of Barahir can heal Legolas OR Frodo at the start of each turn thanks to Faith In Friendship, letting you cover Legolas (since he can't use Focus to heal himself) and Frodo (who will be exerting like crazy to remove threats).

I'm sure there are flaws here, so find 'em and tell me how to make it better! I know it's quite different from most Three Hunter decks with Trust and QAMB and others in there, but hopefully that just makes it more fun and interesting instead of weaker. You tell me! ;)
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 03, 2008, 10:47:47 AM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: Forth The Three Hunters! (FP only)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:47:47 AM »
Dain, seriously, I really hate Namarie and you're adding 4 copies? What shadow are you expecting that would run 10+ conditions....I know with 4 copies you're likely to have 1 show up early, but I think it is a bit too much.
Probably you are going it to pair with Nazguls since they are your favourite, but you need it, because you have a pretty large deck!
Other than that: it is more than decend. I only fear that little to no people have fun playing against you....or it must be me running my Gollum/Balrog deck which makes you skip maneuver and archery...which hurts your deck. But in general a very tough deck.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

July 04, 2008, 06:20:12 AM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Forth The Three Hunters! (FP only)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 06:20:12 AM »
I would probably forget about Gondor Bowmen in favour of No Quicker Path which is exactly the sort of card you want allowing your huge Aragorn to win a fight so that Legolas can win a fight and heal Aragorn 3 times. Also, however fun hunter 3 is, Sprinter is could be better because then he boosts himself with Trusted Weapon and has a built in Bow of the Galadhrim.

Namarie is a seriously overpowered card making your opponent hate you, but I understand why it's there in such huge quantities!

Thranduil