LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Black/Red Mill  (Read 4294 times)

March 19, 2010, 01:10:58 PM
Read 4294 times

sharkey

Black/Red Mill
« on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »
Yes, black mill. In Standard. It is pretty fun and pretty fast. I have reliable turn 5 kills, however, I have not played anyone with a removal intensive deck yet, so I have yet to pass judgement. Overall, it's a fun deck. It will trash your hand by turn 4, and it's an uphill battle from there.

15   Swamp      
6     Mountain   
4     Lavaclaw Reaches

4   Hypnotic Specter   
3   Guul Draz Specter   
3   Nyxathid   
4   Kederekt Parasite   
4   Slavering Nulls   

2   Mind Rot   
3   Mind Shatter
3      Quest for the Nihil Stone   
4   Megrim   
4   Burning Inquiry   
4   Blightning   

SB:

4   Doom Blade   
3   Gatekeeper of Malakir   
4   Tendrils of Corruption   
4   Lightning Bolt   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:14:56 PM by sharkey »

March 21, 2010, 07:52:04 AM
Reply #1

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Black/Red Mill
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:52:04 AM »
Just a minor point: this isn't a mill deck, it's a discard deck. Milling is when you get rid of all the cards in someone's library, not in their hand. I was just confused how you were going to mill in (B)(R) in standard given the only mill cards are (U) (eg. Archive Trap, Tome Scour, Hedron Crab)!

I reckon you can do better than Mind Rot (Hippies and Nyxathids and Megrim are all just much better turn 3 plays) or Keterekt Parasite (you've only really got Slavering Nulls as a (R) permanent to go off - if you're serious about the Parasite, then you should be playing 4x Veinfire Borderposts in your lands (count them as half a land most of the time)). I think you'd be better off playing more removal in the main deck; you have loads of ways to trash their hand, but no way to deal with something once it's on the table. I would definitely go with Bolt for that, maybe Doom Blade.

What about Bloodchief Ascension instead of Megrim? You get it out on turn 1, you hit them 3 Nulls, Hippies or Specters and then it keeps you alive at the same time, and triggers when they cast spells. Something to think about.

Thranduil
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:53:38 AM by Thranduil »

March 21, 2010, 10:58:59 AM
Reply #2

sharkey

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
Just a minor point: this isn't a mill deck, it's a discard deck. Milling is when you get rid of all the cards in someone's library, not in their hand. I was just confused how you were going to mill in (B)(R) in standard given the only mill cards are (U) (eg. Archive Trap, Tome Scour, Hedron Crab)!

I reckon you can do better than Mind Rot (Hippies and Nyxathids and Megrim are all just much better turn 3 plays) or Keterekt Parasite (you've only really got Slavering Nulls as a (R) permanent to go off - if you're serious about the Parasite, then you should be playing 4x Veinfire Borderposts in your lands (count them as half a land most of the time)). I think you'd be better off playing more removal in the main deck; you have loads of ways to trash their hand, but no way to deal with something once it's on the table. I would definitely go with Bolt for that, maybe Doom Blade.

What about Bloodchief Ascension instead of Megrim? You get it out on turn 1, you hit them 3 Nulls, Hippies or Specters and then it keeps you alive at the same time, and triggers when they cast spells. Something to think about.

Thranduil

Ok.

I actually have 8 red permanents, which seems to be enough. This version is more meant for control fights. I'd side in all the removal if I was going against aggro. I'll consider Bloodchief.

March 22, 2010, 03:19:48 AM
Reply #3

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:19:48 AM »
Just wondering where the best card discard in standard is. Duress!!

Dude youve gotta put that in!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

March 22, 2010, 05:17:25 AM
Reply #4

sharkey

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:17:25 AM »
Just wondering where the best card discard in standard is. Duress!!

Dude youve gotta put that in!

Don't worry, I'm considering it. I need to do some playtesting first, but it will probably be here soon.