LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Other Dual cards  (Read 8234 times)

March 21, 2010, 02:30:57 PM
Read 8234 times

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Other Dual cards
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »
I'm going to share some more of my MTG DCs because I'm bored! Review or not as you wish. I'll post 1 from each colour combination:

Resplendent Mage [2](U)
Creature - Human Wizard C
(W), (T): tap target creature.
2/2

Thought Plunderer [4](U)(B)
Creature - Kithkin Rogue U
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant or sorcery card in a graveyard without paying its mana cost. Then exile that card.
2/3

Violent Eruption [1](B)(B)(R)(R)
Sorcery R
~ deals 5 damage to each creature. Creatures dealt damage in this way can't be regenerated.

Lothlann Huntmaster [2](R)
Creature - Elf Scout C
When ~ enters the battlefield, if (G) was spend to cast ~, put a 2/2 green Wolf creature token onto the battlefield.
2/1

Devout Preacher [1](G)
Creature - Viashino Druid U
If (W) was spent to cast ~, creatures you control get protection from the colour of your choice until end of turn.
2/2

Blessed Tutor [2](W)(B)
Sorcery U
Search your library for a card, reveal that card and put it into your hand. You gain life equal to its converted mana cost.

Storm Elemental [3](U)(R)
Creature - Elemental U
Flying, haste
4/4

Slimy Horror [2](B)(G)
Creature - Ooze Horror U
Deathtouch
As an additional cost for a player to target ~ with a spell or ability, that player must pay 2 life.
3/3

Light of Vengeance (R)(W)
Instant U
Prevent all damage that a source of your choice would deal to target creature or player this turn. Damage prevented in this way is dealt to another target creature or player of your choice.

Collect Information [2](G)(U)
Sorcery C
Draw a card for each creature you control.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:39:16 AM by Thranduil »

March 22, 2010, 01:42:06 AM
Reply #1

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: Other Dual cards
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:06 AM »

Resplendent Mage [2](U)
2/2

Yeah fairly standard blue action with white control.

Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant or sorcery card in a graveyard without paying its mana cost. Then exile that card.
2/3

Gees, good job it costs a fair bob. How can you cast a sorcery in their turn using flash?

Sorcery R
~ deals 5 damage to each creature. Creatures dealt damage in this way can't be regenerated.

Hmmm I really dont no what to say about this. Trying to compare it to board wipes like chain reaction etc. Think its ok.

Lothlann Huntmaster [3](R)
Creature - Elf Scout C
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 2/2 green Wolf creature token onto the battlefield.
2/1

A red elf that creates a green wolf? Whats going on? Kinda like it but not sure where it would see use. Cards that create more than 1 thing giving you card advantage are always nice from my perspective though.

Devout Preacher [1](G)
If (W) was spent to cast ~, creatures you control get protection from the colour of your choice until end of turn.
2/2

Nice touch.

Blessed Tutor [2](W)(B)
Sorcery U
Search your library for a card, reveal that card and put it into your hand. You gain life equal to its converted mana cost.

Holy moly! nice tutor.

Creature - Elemental U
Flying, haste
4/4

Yeah ok.

Slimy Horror [2](B)(G)
Creature - Ooze Horror U
Deathtouch
As an additional cost for a spell or ability an opponent controls to target ~, that opponent must pay 2 life.
3/3

Youre lightning bolts to kill this guy cost you 2 life? WIN! Nice creature.

Instant U
Prevent all damage dealt to target creature or player this turn. Damage prevented in this way is dealt to another target creature or player of your choice.

Ooooof. Its like Swerve for damage. Ouch.

Collect Information [1](G)(U)
Instant C

Bit undercosted i feel. Compare to something like souls majesty.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

March 22, 2010, 10:34:54 AM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »
Gees, good job it costs a fair bob. How can you cast a sorcery in their turn using flash?
It's a riff off (U)(B) cards like Memory Plunder and Wrexial the Risen Deep. You can cast a sorcery out of normal timing when you use cards like that.

A red elf that creates a green wolf? Whats going on? Kinda like it but not sure where it would see use. Cards that create more than 1 thing giving you card advantage are always nice from my perspective though.
I could have said something about that. These are cards belonging to a world I created for a different purpose (a roleplaying game) where all humanoid races can be aligned pretty much to any colour (or rather, any colour's philosophy - I did not create this world with MTG in mind). Hence (B) Kithkin, (G) Viashino, (R) Elves etc.

Bit undercosted i feel. Compare to something like souls majesty.
Changed to [2](U)(G).

Now some legends:

Itachi the Old [1](W)(U)
Legendary Creature - Human Elder M
Whenever you cast a white enchantment spell, you may gain 3 life.
Whenever you cast a blue enchantment spell, you may draw a card.
"Take the unnavigable straights to the impossible lake and berth with the hidden galleon. Only there will you find him."
      - Tok, Ornsalil river guide

1/3

Eldros Night-Stalker [2](U)(B)
Legendary Creature - Vampire Assassin M
Flying, shroud
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player discards that many cards. If that player can't, you gain that much life.
To feel his bite is to know torture and insanity simultaneously.
3/2

Rassur, Victor of a Thousand Fights [3](B)(R)
Legendary Creature - Viashino Barbarian Warrior M
Deathtouch, haste
(T): ~ deals damage equal to its power to target creature. That creature deals damage equal to its power to ~.
"DEATH!"
       - Rassur

4/4

Caemlos, Hero in Exile [1](R)(G)
Legendary Creature - Elf Rogue Warrior M
Protection from creatures and from artifacts.
"I may be removed from my people, but I still have my wits and my pride. And none will stop me."
        - Caemlos

3/2

Baladil, General of Kerek-Varoz [2](G)(W)
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Soldier M
First strike, vigilance
Other green creatures you control get +1/+1 and vigilance.
Other white creatures you control get +1/+1 and first strike.
"The invaders broke before the hammers and shields of Baladil and his warriors. May their fathers and sons be blessed."
        - Chronicles of Kerek-Varoz

3/3

Saranis, Zealot of the Broken Sun (W)(B)
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric M
Whenever a card leaves the battlefield, you may pay [1]. If you do, target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
"Through death comes life, and through life comes prayer."
        - Creed of the Broken Sun

2/2

Luminon Steelbright [1](U)(R)
Legendary Creature - Elf Wizard M
Flash, haste
(R)(U), (T): Counter target instant or sorcery spell. If ~ counters a spell in this way, exile that spell.
You may cast instant or sorcery cards exiled by ~.
He has learned every spell known to every people in all the nations of Adorath. They were not enough.
2/2

Dhurthu, Menace of the Darkwood [4](B)(G)
Legendary Creature - Dryad Horror M
Deathtouch, forestwalk, swampwalk
When a creature dealt damage by ~ is put into a graveyard this turn, put X +1/+1 counters on ~, where X is that creature's toughness.
The few travellers who have ever survived the Darkwood will tell of a shadow that stalks the trees, blacker than night and deadlier than poison.
2/6

Guardian of Light [4](R)(W)
Legendary Creature - Phoenix Avatar M
When you play ~, choose target opponent.
~'s power is equal to your life total.
~'s toughness is equal to chosen opponent's life total.
Pay 2 life: Regenerate ~.
Its light brings joy to its friends and fear to its enemies.
*/*

Marrisso, Alchemist Extraordinaire (G)(U)
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Druid Wizard M
(T): Add (U) to your mana pool for each blue permanent you control, and (G) to your mana pool for each green permanent you control.
"I can make that for you! Fifty ounces of grated horse finger, nine shavings of moonbeams and a dash of pepper."
     - Marisso

0/1
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:24:22 AM by Thranduil »

March 23, 2010, 05:15:48 AM
Reply #3

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:15:48 AM »

Itachi the Old [1](W)(U)
"Take the unnavigable straights to the impossible lake and berth with the hidden galleon. Only there will you find him."

1/3

Holy crap. Dude, hes insane, even legendary i reckon hes got cost 1 more. The white side of it is just ok, but cast a blue to draw a card?!  =P~

Flying, shroud
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player discards that many cards. If that player can't, you gain that much life.
3/2

This is what vampires needs to rule the roost; shroud. Even without his ability i like him. His ability is a bit odd though. Say i have 2 cards in my hand and he hits me for 3, i cant discard 3, so do i NOT discard them and u gain 3 life or do i discard 2 and u still gain 3 life, or 2 life??

Deathtouch, haste
(T): ~ deals damage equal to its power to target creature. That creature deals damage equal to its power to ~.
"DEATH!"
       - Rassur

4/4

Nice, though the lore is along the lines of Orkish Warg-master!

"I may be removed from my people, but I still have my wits and my pride. And none will stop me."
        - Caemlos

3/2

Meh, this guy doesnt feel legendary to be honest.

First strike, vigilance
"The invaders broke before the hammers and shields of Baladil and his warriors. May their fathers and sons be blessed."

3/3

Whereas this guy is mental! I think hed be fine without first strike and vigilance as he is, but with them he's a massive threat. Really feels a legendary guy.

Whenever a card leaves the battlefield, you may pay [1]. If you do, target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

2/2

He feels a bit too weak, a 2/2 puts him in range of everything really, disfigure, burst lightning let alone bolt and pyroclasm and due to his ability he will be dead very quickly so its never gonna get used realistically.

Flash, haste
(R)(U), (T): Counter target instant or sorcery spell. If ~ counters a spell in this way, exile that spell.
He has learned every spell known to every people in all the nations of Adorath. They were not enough.
2/2

Holy crap lol. This guy rocks. Blue and red aint easy to use but with this guy and swerve you got the basis of a deck that really f***s your opponent.

When a creature dealt damage by ~ is put into a graveyard this turn, put X +1/+1 counters on ~, where X is that creature's toughness.
The few travellers who have ever survived the Darkwood will tell of a shadow that stalks the trees, blacker than night and deadlier than poison.
2/6

Nice.

*/*

Interesting, always hard to judge these types of cards because on turn 6 who knows what life people will have, but its always a fun gamble. I made a deck around death's shadow consuming my own life, and thats what makes magic awesome for me. This type of card where you make a mental deck and take risks for whats potentially a massive payout and heaps of fun.

(T): Add (U) to your mana pool for each blue permanent you control, and (G) to your mana pool for each green permanent you control.
"I can make that for you! Fifty ounces of grated horse finger, nine shavings of moonbeams and a dash of pepper."
     - Marisso

0/3

Nice. Horse's dont have fingers dude  :-k

March 23, 2010, 05:44:14 AM
Reply #4

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 05:44:14 AM »
Holy crap. Dude, hes insane, even legendary i reckon hes got cost 1 more. The white side of it is just ok, but cast a blue to draw a card?!  =P~
On the other hand only for enchantments? Still he could be [2](W)(U) and 1/4 without difficulty.

This is what vampires needs to rule the roost; shroud. Even without his ability i like him. His ability is a bit odd though. Say i have 2 cards in my hand and he hits me for 3, i cant discard 3, so do i NOT discard them and u gain 3 life or do i discard 2 and u still gain 3 life, or 2 life??
Yeah I wasn't sure about that either. Originally it was a mill card, but then I didn't like it that much so I made it discard, then realised he would probably strip your opponent's hands too quickly for the ability to be relevant, so I added the next bit. Not sure what to do about him.

Really? He has two protections that hardly ever appear (I certainly don't remember ever seeing pro creatures before on any card), and his flavour I just couldn't resist. Maybe he could have some other minor ability?

He feels a bit too weak, a 2/2 puts him in range of everything really, disfigure, burst lightning let alone bolt and pyroclasm and due to his ability he will be dead very quickly so its never gonna get used realistically.
Yeah he probably is a bit weak, but there are weak mythics some time.

Nor can you shave moonbeams. He's crazy. What's your point? ;)

Thranduil

March 23, 2010, 05:55:01 AM
Reply #5

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »
On the other hand only for enchantments? Still he could be [2](W)(U) and 1/4 without difficulty.

Oops my bad, missed that. In that case hes not that good lol!

Yeah I wasn't sure about that either. Originally it was a mill card, but then I didn't like it that much so I made it discard, then realised he would probably strip your opponent's hands too quickly for the ability to be relevant, so I added the next bit. Not sure what to do about him.

I just want him explaining really.

Really? He has two protections that hardly ever appear (I certainly don't remember ever seeing pro creatures before on any card), and his flavour I just couldn't resist. Maybe he could have some other minor ability?

I didnt say it wasnt a cool card or good flavour, i just said thats not legendary enough for me, protection from creatures, whilst being awesome, doesnt seem enough to stop another copy being played if you get me.

Yeah he probably is a bit weak, but there are weak mythics some time.

Nor can you shave moonbeams. He's crazy. What's your point? ;)

Erm, nothing, move along...

Thranduil

March 23, 2010, 01:52:45 PM
Reply #6

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »
I just want him explaining really.
I don't know exactly. I just make up text, you expect me to understand them to? Crazy! ;)

I didnt say it wasnt a cool card or good flavour, i just said thats not legendary enough for me, protection from creatures, whilst being awesome, doesnt seem enough to stop another copy being played if you get me.
I do get you. Could he have instead "Protection from permanents"? That would be fairly weird, cool and more legendary!

Thranduil

March 24, 2010, 01:34:32 AM
Reply #7

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:32 AM »

I do get you. Could he have instead "Protection from permanents"? That would be fairly weird, cool and more legendary!

Thranduil

He could but the thing is hes only a 3/2 so being essentially immune to creatures isnt that exciting for a card you would only put 3 in a deck of max cos you can only play 1 at a time. Hes a jhessian infiltrator really!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:37:23 AM by lem0nhead »

March 25, 2010, 08:34:10 AM
Reply #8

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »
Resplendent Mage [2](U)
2/2

Nice.

Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant or sorcery card in a graveyard without paying its mana cost. If you do, exile that card.
2/3

Neat.

Sorcery R

Name already belongs to a card. Aside from that, pretty cool, although I'm not sure it'd see play with double-red in its cost.

Lothlann Huntmaster [3](R)
Creature - Elf Scout C
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 2/2 green Wolf creature token onto the battlefield.
2/1

I actually think this one is lame, and I'm not sure how it's a combination of colors (aside from the creatures). Was it supposed to be (G)(R) or it's supposed to be clever design? Could well be a (G) card.

Devout Preacher [1](G)
2/2

So it WAS clever design above. Nice one.

Blessed Tutor [2](W)(B)
Sorcery U

COOL! Or course, you realize you just made a spell that lets you gain TONS of life with the new Eldrazi, right?

Creature - Elemental U
Flying, haste
4/4

A little powerful, but ok, I think 4/3 would be better, keep it in Bolt range.

Slimy Horror [2](B)(G)
Creature - Ooze Horror U
Deathtouch
As an additional cost for a spell or ability an opponent controls to target ~, that opponent must pay 2 life.
3/3

I wouldn't help bad players, I'd make not reading the card actually punish them! Make it "Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls target Slimy Horror, that opponent loses 2 life". If they don't read the card and point removal at it while low on life, they die. Simple.

Instant U
Prevent all damage dealt to target creature or player this turn. Damage prevented in this way is dealt to another target creature or player of your choice.

Quite powerful, I think it might be too much, perhaps from a source?

Collect Information [2](G)(U)
Instant C

Instant? Ouch. I think sorcery would be more than fine.

March 25, 2010, 11:44:53 AM
Reply #9

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Itachi the Old [1](W)(U)

1/3

Neat.

Flying, shroud
3/2

I think he's absurd. Just that.

Deathtouch, haste
"DEATH!"
       - Rassur

4/4

Nice enough.

- Caemlos

3/2

Way cool.

First strike, vigilance

3/3

Neat again.

2/2

Even YOUR cards? Ouch! I like it, though.

Flash, haste
2/2

MIGHT be too much. Not sure.

2/6

Good.

*/*

Groovy design.

- Marisso

0/3

Why do they all sound arabic/israeli to me? I liked this one, but he might be too abusable at 0/3, tough to kill and ramps up a lot. You open with a dude turn one (heck, a Wild Nacatl can do the trick!), you'll be ramping up to 6 mana third turn! AND blocking an eventual attack. He should have another cost, like costing you life or something. He IS legendary, though...