LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Stupid Movie Block question....  (Read 17170 times)

July 11, 2008, 05:25:24 PM
Read 17170 times

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Stupid Movie Block question....
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »
Okay, I understand that Movie Block covers sets 1-10 only, but my question is this: which sitepath is used? Is it a combination of Fellowship, Tower, and King block, or is it (as I suspect) one block only (King, I suspect)?

Yeah, we can delete this when it's answered, if ya'll want me to. It's the one thing I'm a little unclear about.

Also, do any of you SdA'ers play Movie block? Sounds REALLY fun, and I think I'd like to try and get into it....
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 11, 2008, 05:59:08 PM
Reply #1

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
Re: Stupid Movie Block question....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:59:08 PM »
Sites from King block. It's like the game ended at Mount Doom (Reflections optional).

July 11, 2008, 10:19:25 PM
Reply #2

Kralik

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »
I play Movie Block! :mrgreen:

One format that I miss that is no longer official is "Towers Standard" -- i.e. Fellowship-Towers blocks with Towers sites. That was a lot of fun as well. :)

Side note: LOTRO defines Movie Block as including Reflections.

July 14, 2008, 09:38:28 AM
Reply #3

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »
Yup. I play it somewhat. Got a Gandy Signets deck with Corsairs. :D
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

August 09, 2008, 08:55:57 AM
Reply #4

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 08:55:57 AM »
The people around here plays it a lot! Personaly it´s my favorite kind of play...

More people should try this one...

For the paths we use the rule of the older rulebboks: you choose one block (fellowship. towers or king) and make all your adventure deck with it. But you can play with king and your opponent with two tower without a problem, since nobody mix the blocks...

August 13, 2008, 10:57:58 AM
Reply #5

Cave Troll Counsellor

• Information Offline
  • Orc
    • Unsigned Irish Folk-Rock
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »
I play a strange sort of Movie block, mostly just playing against my brother out of my own (slightly patchy) collection as I know of no other players in Northern Ireland & have still to figure out SdA  ???. Mostly play with sets 1-6, some 7-10, sitepath made from either FOTR or TT, or sometimes both. Going to post some of my marginally more original decks soon for constructive feedback/withering scorn  ;)

What I wanted to ask was how people felt about A) mixing sites from blocks, especially FOTR and TTT (does it make for broken combos or is it just frowned upon cos it messes up the sense of narrative?) and B) abiding by the errata for sets 1-6 (and generally). For our casual play my bro and I don't bother with any of the official errata for cards like Thror's Map, A Ranger's Versatility, etc, and I haven't found found any of these cards to be game winners as a result, similarly we don't really use an X-list, although the gratuitous use of Balrogs in non-Moria decks is severely discouraged ;D

To summarise all this blether: I know it just comes down to personal choice, but what's the general feeling about A) site mixing and B) errata?

Thanks!

Joel

August 13, 2008, 11:17:03 AM
Reply #6

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:17:03 AM »
Is there an X-list or R-list for Movie Block?

For example: would a card like, say, Horn of Boromir be legal in Movie Block (or "Towers Standard", for that matter)? Or site-manipulating cards like Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood?
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 13, 2008, 11:23:42 AM
Reply #7

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »
This has all the movie block restrictions.

August 13, 2008, 11:34:55 AM
Reply #8

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
Quote from: MR. Lurtzy
This has all the movie block restrictions.

Which are...?
Best regards,
Dáin

August 13, 2008, 12:00:57 PM
Reply #10

Cave Troll Counsellor

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:00:57 PM »
Can't believe Enquea, Lieutenant isn't X-ed!

August 13, 2008, 01:31:04 PM
Reply #11

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
Thanks, Lurtzy. :gp: Where'd you find that list?
Best regards,
Dáin

August 13, 2008, 01:33:09 PM
Reply #12

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »
can't believe you don't totally abuse Ranger's Versatility ;)...it is such a great card before errata! It still is.....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 13, 2008, 01:43:56 PM
Reply #13

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 01:43:56 PM »

It´s in the CDR (Current Ruling Document). Try to download it from here: http://lotrtcg.fanhq.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ID=1283

This one is the best i have found (althought other versions are around...)

August 13, 2008, 10:20:27 PM
Reply #14

Kralik

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »

Don't you ever visit the CC archives? ;) Taken from LotRO's Deck Validator.

It´s in the CDR (Current Ruling Document). Try to download it from here: http://lotrtcg.fanhq.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ID=1283

This one is the best i have found (althought other versions are around...)

I don't think the Movie Block X-list is in that CRD, though I would definitely like to see any other CRD's you may have saved or know where to find.

Personally, I think that playing Movie Block with non-King sites is problematic. What about Ettenmoors* with Ulaire Enquea ToTo, for example? Or, in mix-and-match site mode... what would happen if you could play a deck with Moria and Gimli DotMR and have 5 underground sites instead of the typical 2? Too good.

Although in Shadows and beyond, the site path is mostly random, in pre-Shadows blocks it was supposed to represent a journey from the Shire to Mount Doom as portrayed in each of the three movies. I know a lot of veteran LotR players were disappointed when that "realism" aspect was taken away, and the fellowship could move from Mount Doom,  to Hobbiton Market, to Fortress of Orthanc, to The Bridge of Khazad-Dum, to Valley of the Silverlode... woohoo, Frodo survived all the way to site nine, the Green Dragon Inn! :roll:

I don't think the mix-and-match mentality should be applied to the older sets. IMO the essence of Movie Block is to capture what "Standard" gameplay was like before Shadows was released. If you want to use Fellowship/Towers sites, play either of those blocks, or a casual Fellowship-Towers format.

August 14, 2008, 03:55:28 AM
Reply #15

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 03:55:28 AM »
I don't think the Movie Block X-list is in that CRD, though I would definitely like to see any other CRD's you may have saved or know where to find.

The CDR´s that i have are Setember 2004; August 2005 and August 2007. The last two have some helpful info.

Well, i really never search for a Movie Block specific rulling  :-k  What we do in the case of Ettenmoors it´s a "personal errata" inspired in the shadow version of the site: You cannot exert a enduring minion or a use a special hability that has healling a minion as it´s cost or effect...

I think you can use any site combination you want but you have to keep all sites in the same block. Sites 1-9 from RotK, TT or FotR... but again i actually never read a specific rulling for movie block (cause we play some kind of "distorted movie block with some shadow contamination"  :suspect:

August 14, 2008, 09:34:00 AM
Reply #16

Kralik

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
The CDR´s that i have are Setember 2004; August 2005 and August 2007. The last two have some helpful info.

Could you attach those CRD's to a post here? I'd like to add them to the rules archive, and comb them for more clarifications to add to the DB. :up:

August 14, 2008, 01:10:19 PM
Reply #17

Cave Troll Counsellor

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »
Thanks for your views, K. I think the reason why I haven't had major problems with site mixing is because almost all my cards are sets 1-6 with just the odd reflections/ROTK block card. So in fact I suppose the format I play is closer to what you called 'Towers standard'. Maybe. :-S We only started mixing sites a while back, once my TTT collection grew; maybe I'll go back to purist sitepaths...

August 14, 2008, 07:07:19 PM
Reply #18

Kralik

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 07:07:19 PM »
Towers standard was (is!) a great format. :)

August 14, 2008, 11:45:12 PM
Reply #19

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 11:45:12 PM »
In Lurtzy's defense, he did link to the format thread on TLHH, in his initial response. *LOL* Cross-checked with the CC list and they match, so that's good (the latter repeats Bill the Pony and Horn of Boromir, in case anyone is counting).

The August 2005 / January 2007 CRD (depending on whether you trust the link or the PDF) is on Decipher's rules page, here.

August 15, 2008, 06:46:33 AM
Reply #20

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 06:46:33 AM »
   Sounds like i´m a little late  :roll:

August 15, 2008, 07:02:08 AM
Reply #21

AdultLink

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 07:02:08 AM »
Oh yes it was! I had some killer decks back in those days...

August 15, 2008, 07:18:54 AM
Reply #22

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 07:18:54 AM »

If you've got SdA, I imagine Kralik would love to play you sometime. He's got a bunch of old-school decks, but a lack of players to match them up against.
Best regards,
Dáin

August 15, 2008, 08:56:44 PM
Reply #23

Kralik

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »
The August 2005 / January 2007 CRD (depending on whether you trust the link or the PDF) is on Decipher's rules page, here.

Thanks ES, just downloaded it. :gp: Pepin, want to attach the others?

August 15, 2008, 09:19:26 PM
Reply #24

AdultLink

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »

If you've got SdA, I imagine Kralik would love to play you sometime. He's got a bunch of old-school decks, but a lack of players to match them up against.
And how would I go about getting SdA?

August 16, 2008, 06:59:22 AM
Reply #25

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 06:59:22 AM »
And how would I go about getting SdA?

Here is a link follow the instruction and then you can play any of the THLL memebers that play here as well as many others if you can find them somewhere nowadays :up:. You will need to get the updated xml file I can email it to you or Dain, Kralik or any other player here more than likely has it :up:.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?