LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: High-Vitality Hobbits (FP only)  (Read 4304 times)

July 22, 2008, 09:43:56 AM
Read 4304 times

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
High-Vitality Hobbits (FP only)
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »
Not exactly a new trick, but hopefully interesting enough that it merits a thread. :)

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit w/ The One Ring, The Great Ring

Merry, Loyal Companion (starting) (or possibly Merry, From O'er the Brandywine?)
Pippin, Brave Decoy (starting) (or possibly Pippin, Steadfast Friend?)
Fredegar Bolger, Fatty (starting)
Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish (starting)
Quickbeam, Bregalad (starting)

Sam, Great Elf Warrior (Green Dragon Inn pull)
Tolman Cotton, Farmer of Bywater

Sting, Weapon of Heritage
Merry's Dagger
Pippin's Sword
Hobbit Sword x4

Everyone Knows x4
A Promise x4
Little Golden Flower x2
Escape x4
Ent Draught x4
Prized Lagan x3
Fates Entwined

Narrow Escape x2

Like I said, nothing new and nothing particularly fancy. The point is to get your unbound Hobbits with as much vitality as possible, then abuse Everyone Knows to make them all huge. With all your vitality boosters out (Little Golden Flower paired with swords, Escape, and Ent Draught), and all your copies of Everyone Knows, Merry, Pippin, and Tolman can reach a ridiculous 18 strength apiece, and Pippin has the added benefit of being able to replace anyone but Frodo, Sam, and Merry in a skirmish to help protect weaker companions. For example, Maggot and Fatty top out at a base of 12, though that's still nothing to sneeze at. With Weapon of Heritage and all your copies of A Promise, Sam is a beastly 17 strength himself, and even Frodo can get to a base 10 with the potential for lots more thanks to The Great Ring.

Prized Lagan and Fates Entwined are here to help keep your Hobbits at peak vitality, though if thing go sour you can always sacrifice a couple of the lower-vitality guys like Fatty and Maggot (probably in that order) to keep your higher-vitality ones up and running. Quickbeam also makes a nice sacrifice candidate if you pull enough Ent Draught before too long.

The only card that DOESN'T play during the fellowship phase is Narrow Escape, which is your best chance to try and double since these Hobbits may not lose many skirmishes once set up, but WILL probably have trouble actually killing minions off. If you can sacrifice the vitality, Ent Draught CAN help kill off to a degree with its exert-for-damage ability, but Narrow Escape is your best bet to save for a potential sprint.

This deck IS large (38 cards), but with five (and hopefully six) companions getting jammed in with Frodo from the start, and VERY little hand clog potential thanks to all the conditions and possessions, it would hopefully feel much smaller.

No Shadow in particular in mind, but my good ol' Forestguls would certainly be a good match, especially in helping Maggot reach his full strength potential. Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:00:00 AM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 22, 2008, 10:04:43 AM
Reply #1

GarrisonofGondor

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Let the armies of Mordor know this....
Re: High-Vitality Hobbits (FP only)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:04:43 AM »
I basiclly made this deck, only I used Rosie Cooton instead of Quickbeam.  Throw in The Shire Countryside + Sting = Major Healing
"Never Again, will the land of my people, fall into enemy hands! For Gondor! For Gondor! For Gondor!

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=426.120

July 22, 2008, 10:06:47 AM
Reply #2

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
Quote from: GarrisonofGondor
I basiclly made this deck, only I used Rosie Cooton instead of Quickbeam.  Throw in The Shire Countryside + Sting = Major Healing

Only problem is that The Shire Countryside is banned in Expanded. I'd have to move to Open to use that, which I'm very reluctant to do thanks to all the broken combo potential I would then be facing.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

July 22, 2008, 10:08:29 AM
Reply #3

GarrisonofGondor

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Let the armies of Mordor know this....
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:08:29 AM »
 Well I'm just a newbe so I didn't know that.
"Never Again, will the land of my people, fall into enemy hands! For Gondor! For Gondor! For Gondor!

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=426.120

July 23, 2008, 04:16:39 PM
Reply #4

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »
I would recommend using at least one of the RoS Merry/Pippin In the Bloom of Health just because you don't want to be stuck with a whole load of Ent Draughts that you can't play.

I also think you need more Narrow Escape because you really won't be killing minions (except for a few which you can overwhelm!) and would lose some Fates Entwined or Prized Lagan to fit them in.

Thranduil

July 24, 2008, 03:31:43 PM
Reply #5

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »
you can start quickbeam, due to all the unbound hobbits. So Ent Draught isn't a problem.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

July 24, 2008, 04:03:25 PM
Reply #6

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
you can start quickbeam, due to all the unbound hobbits. So Ent Draught isn't a problem.
But you don't want to end up in a situation when Quickbeam dies and all your Ent Draughts are useless - that was my point about In the Bloom of Health, as a fall-back option.

Thranduil