LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Newly returning player, looking for deck help  (Read 2998 times)

June 20, 2010, 10:38:38 PM
Read 2998 times

Andrewgeddon

Newly returning player, looking for deck help
« on: June 20, 2010, 10:38:38 PM »
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:40:59 PM by Andrewgeddon »

June 20, 2010, 11:24:43 PM
Reply #1

putridbreath

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Newly returning player, looking for deck help
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »
Glad you could join us! Welcome!

Please look at the many decks posted on this thread for inspiration--there are a lot of great ideas. Now if you're like me, you don't have 4 copies of every single card and that's ok. Play to the strengths of what you have. If you don't have enough Nazgul cards to build a complete shadow, than try another Shadow minion type. Those easterlings as fillers won't help much. Also, a general rule most follow is for 5 companions. With only Legolas and Merry, both exerting often, I don't see them making it to the second sanctuary.

Movie block plays with all Kings site paths but some (myself included) open Movie Block to all site paths from sets 1-10. Plus, where's your site 9?

I hope this helps some and there are other much more experienced players here than me that would be more than willing to help you get back into this great card game :)

June 21, 2010, 06:26:07 AM
Reply #2

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Newly returning player, looking for deck help
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 06:26:07 AM »
Hi there and welcome to the boards!

First of all its nice if you define what kind of format you want to play with your friends and such, or against people worldwide at GCCG. The most traditional are Movie block (sets from 1-10, with sitepath from RoTK and check pre-shadow x-list) and Standard (Sets from 7 to 19, sitepath from set 11 and beyond, x-list), but there are many people that play FoTR (sets 1-3) and TTT block (sets 4-6).

But feel free to adjust stuff (like sitepath or x-list) the way it suits better for your playing community.

In concearn to your deck i have to agree with putridbreath, i don't see how you can go any further than site 4 or 5 with only this 3 companions, since your deck isn't a super choke. Take a look at the boards here and you will find some nice deck ideas and strategies.

If you want to keep the deck Hobbit / Nazgul there are a lot of options.

Instead of posting a full deck list here i will just try to give some tips so you can came up with something original (and respecting the cards you own).

If you like the concept of wounding hobbits getting benefits from Greenleaf and Mind Your Own Affairs you should consider a few things:
- Shadowplay may be an excellent addition, but for that you need to have great healing ability, which can be achive through allies or bouncing companions (the one you can discard and play again later or that you put it back to hand). Unheeded may also works nicely.
- Your companions must be strong enough to survive if some dangerous minion gets throught skirmish (and belive me, sometime they will). So focus on get them at least some strenght and some backup like Bounder (i would use more than 1 copy), There and Back Again and The Tale of The Great Ring.
- Another guy that works very nicely with Mind Your Own Affairs is Smeagol, Always Helps (7R71) which turns Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom (10C112) a nice cards to peel the threats or the burdens you may be adding. Don't Look at Them (6R39) can also be interesting.
- If you go heavy on tales you may consider cards like Bilbo, Well-spoken Gentlehobbit (2U96), since shire guys doesn't have many condition discard.

For Nazgul you can add cards like Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow (2R75), some possessions or pumps. Conditions like Black Breath can works nicely also. Consider you worst problem here would be direct wounding (that would kill your guys before they ever land on skirmish) and tank companions, like Durin III, Gil-Galad + Aiglos, fully loaded Gron, etc. So think some ways of ensure your guys will get to skirmish and win!

There are a lot of other options bt i leave to you the rest!

I hope i helped somehow.