LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Spreading Seas  (Read 2930 times)

June 22, 2010, 07:07:54 AM
Read 2930 times

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Spreading Seas
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:54 AM »
This is a deck designed to ruin people's day. Land destruction is far too costly and too slow, this is a much cheaper and more irritating way to do it ;)

4x Bloodbraid Elf
4x Baneslayer Angel
2x Sphinx of the Jwar isle

4x Ardent Plea
3x Captured Sunlight
4x Day of Judgment

4x Spreading Seas
4x Convincing Mirage

1x Gideon jura
3x Ajani Vengeant
1x Jace the Mind Sculptor

3x Arid Mesa
3x Scalding Tarn
2x Misty Rainforest
3x Jungle Shrine
4x Seaside Citadel
1x Mountain
3x Plains
3x Island
2x Forest
2x Terramorphic Expanse

The idea of the deck is to turn their land into an island every turn pretty much. (obviously the deck falls down a bit against Mono Blue but how much of that is there around???) It has beaten many a mono deck, because if i don't draw the spreading seas or convincing mirages, each other card i draw cascades into them. Turn 3 i can ardent plea, which can only cascade into SS or CM, and turn 4 is bloodbraid elf or captured sunlight which can cascade into SS or CM or ardent plea, which then cascades itself into SS or CM. This way your opponent is being denied the most important colours of his deck. Facing a dual or triple land is practically a guaranteed win. For example this deck is so anti-jund its stupid. It cant lose. Just take their black and green or just the red or any combo and it loses.

Once ive land screwed them i drop baneslayer or sphinx for the kill, usually pumped up by an ardent plea or 2. Of course Gideon is a monster who protects you ridiculously well. And then there are the 2 best control walkers i know of. Ajani keeps any land i didnt convert tapped with his up ability. His eventual down also destroys all their lands anyway. Jace is just sick. No wonder he is the most expensive card in T2 currently. I look at your top card and,  unknown to you, if its a land i dont like i just get rid of it. Even more land control.

The downsides of this deck are two fold.

1. It loses heavily to rush. RDW is killer. Turn 3 i usually die. My sideboard is vital against fast decks. It runs a lot of cheap removal like path to exile and lifelink cards like rhox war monk. Turn 4 day of judgment helps though. But this is a staple card anyway because its just so #$&*@! good. If i can survive to turn 4 though when my bloodbraids and DoJ kick in i can usually control the board pretty well from there though.

2. The mana base is heavy and complicated. You'd be surprised that it actually works pretty well, but a bad draw for this deck is a REALLY bad draw.

Match ups.

As i said it loses to rush. Allies/RDW and their ilk are hard. Sideboard is vital.

Any dual/triple colour decks lose. Naya. No problem. Jund. Easy.

Vampires/Bant/Mythic Conscription alll lose most of the time as well.

It can do surprisingly well against U/W tapout as well. Denying them their white is so easy and so powerful because they dont get their beloved Elspeth or anything.

Let me know what you guys think.

P.s. Id have more Jace TMS in the deck if i had them. Its just difficult to get hold of...
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

June 22, 2010, 08:25:24 AM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Spreading Seas
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:25:24 AM »
I'd try out the "Spreading Seas" that turns lands into swamps, and also Grixis charm and other bounce spells, to actually deny them land development.