LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Thread for Volunteers and Design Discussion  (Read 10945 times)

January 26, 2011, 09:03:21 AM
Reply #15

Kralik

Re: Thread for Volunteers and Design Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »
AutoCAD is, of course, a great program, but I think you'd want something more along the lines of Photoshop for this sort of thing.

January 26, 2011, 09:11:24 AM
Reply #16

Legolis

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
    • Legolis's Have/Want list
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »
I have the full version of photoshop 7, but never really used it to draw with. I will get in there and see if I can do some experimenting. Also like the cad if anyone needs it or photoshop for working on things it can be arranged  The only thing is I am not the best artist in the world so as far as pictures and text that would have to be done by others. Of course if this is going to be something new it will take input from several. Also I guess it would have to be voted on for any final decisions.

January 26, 2011, 02:24:52 PM
Reply #17

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »
Ah, if I understand it correctly, I take it you are concerned about use of new LotR/Tolkien term in general? Making cards based on the books without licensing? Though that is what the Chamber of Marzabul has been doing for some time now... :-k

There was no distribution nor images attached to the cards made in Chamber of Marzabul.  The idea of V-Cards is that they get distributed.  Socks brings up a good point about lore too.  You can't start slapping lines from LOTR or The Silma (especially Silma since Tolkein Estate is the sole "individual" with rights to the book) onto V-cards.  Either way, it is nice to hear talk about this.  I'll add input when I can but since I'm getting ready for field training my input would be extremely limited.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

January 26, 2011, 02:57:56 PM
Reply #18

Kralik

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
I am not promoting images, but having dream cards on the forums counts as distribution just as much as packaging them as text files. :-k

January 29, 2011, 08:12:37 PM
Reply #19

Kralik

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »
I'm about ready to open up this subforum to new topics. Any more volunteers before I do? As a side note, it would be a good idea for each subforum to have a Global Moderator rep to help move topics around if need be.

January 31, 2011, 03:25:12 PM
Reply #20

Kralik

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
For the starting design team, we have: hrcho, Thran, RB and WKx5. All on the team get local moderator privileges. Feel free to start new threads!

January 31, 2011, 04:42:19 PM
Reply #21

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »
I see two options ahead of us:

1 - integrate Chamber of Mazarbul into The Dream Team; continue dreaming cards and maybe finding a way to implement them into the game (GCCG)

2 - leave Chamber of Mazarbul where it is and let people post the dreamed cards and sets there and having The Dream Team for discussing and deciding which of those dreamed cards are to actually become "reality".

Effectively, those 2 options are pretty much the same with the sole difference being where The Chamber of Mazarbul will be. Simple aesthetics.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

January 31, 2011, 05:38:49 PM
Reply #22

Kralik

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »
I'd say use Chamber of Marzabul for some ideas and inspiration, but it needs to be its own forum. Not all dream cards can/should be made into virtual cards.

February 01, 2011, 03:35:49 AM
Reply #23

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 03:35:49 AM »
I'd say use Chamber of Marzabul for some ideas and inspiration, but it needs to be its own forum. Not all dream cards can/should be made into virtual cards.
Agreed. In fact I think there are important differences between virtual and dream cards, as well as community-"sanctioned" and player-created cards, both of which ought to be maintained.

Thranduil

February 01, 2011, 03:41:21 AM
Reply #24

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 03:41:21 AM »
I go with nr 2 as well.

And I think 1th its time to evaluate cards "that suck" to give them a virtual version as well. Just have to consider which formats the cards fall in to see how/when we overhaul them. Obvious we dont have to worry about open ;)

February 01, 2011, 03:45:12 AM
Reply #25

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 03:45:12 AM »
I go with nr 2 as well.

And I think 1th its time to evaluate cards "that suck" to give them a virtual version as well. Just have to consider which formats the cards fall in to see how/when we overhaul them. Obvious we dont have to worry about open ;)
Yes indeed we should!

February 01, 2011, 06:33:23 AM
Reply #26

Legolis

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
    • Legolis's Have/Want list
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:23 AM »
Just kinda curious on a goal here, are we trying to make new cards for a virtual or online game with an intention to one day actually turn them into printed cards?

Or will the dream cards be used strictly for online gaming? If we are trying to make an extension of the original there will be many legal issues to deal with, I would think anyway. If we are trying to start new then we have to work around legal issues such as imagery and text. I think it would be easier to start new then trying to deal with line 163b of some 1600 page legal document.

Much to think about...

February 01, 2011, 08:01:19 AM
Reply #27

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »
Just kinda curious on a goal here, are we trying to make new cards for a virtual or online game with an intention to one day actually turn them into printed cards?

Or will the dream cards be used strictly for online gaming? If we are trying to make an extension of the original there will be many legal issues to deal with, I would think anyway. If we are trying to start new then we have to work around legal issues such as imagery and text. I think it would be easier to start new then trying to deal with line 163b of some 1600 page legal document.

Much to think about...
I'm imagining virtual cards like in SWCCG—pdfs you can download, and print off slips to put into your sleeved decks. I don't know how these might work on a platform like GCCG, but in that case it is probably easier to just add full cards with V texts to the database.

Thran

February 01, 2011, 08:31:46 PM
Reply #28

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »

Much to think about...
I'm imagining virtual cards like in SWCCG—pdfs you can download, and print off slips to put into your sleeved decks. I don't know how these might work on a platform like GCCG, but in that case it is probably easier to just add full cards with V texts to the database.

Thran

This is what I invisioned as well.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd