LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gamling Horn-choke [looking for shadow side]  (Read 6918 times)

February 23, 2011, 11:48:49 PM
Read 6918 times

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Gamling Horn-choke [looking for shadow side]
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:48:49 PM »
Hi!

I played a game this morning with Nazgul99 on GCCG, and after seeing how similar our decks were (in concept, not the actual card pool), I brainstormed on a deck that unites the merits of both of our builds. Here is what I came to:

Free Peoples Side:
Ring-Bearer: Frodo, Resolute Hobbit + The One Ring, The Great Ring

Starting Fellowship:
Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg
Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence
Merry, Swordthain
Smeagol, Always Helps

The loop:
Something Slimy
New Chapter
Erkenbrand's Horn
Deagol, Fateful Finder
Gamling's Horn
Daddy Twofoot
Robin Smallburrow
The Gaffer, Master Gardener
Hobbiton Farmer, Lover of Pipeweed
Hobbiton Brewer, Maker of Fine Ales
Rohirrim Doorwarden
Rohan Worker
Rohan Stable Master x 4

Other Stuff:
4 x Home and Hearth
4 x Shadowplay
4 x Unheeded
4 x No Visitors
4 x Make Haste
2 x Birthday Present
1 x Rider's Mount
1 x Spear of the Mark
1 x Rider's Bow
1 x Coif

(46 cards total)

Strategy:
Bid high to go first (3 is usually enough), and start at Dammed Gate-Stream. Pull Something Slimy with the site, and New Chapter with the event. Pull Erkenbrand's Horn with Gamling, and pull all followers from the deck. This results in a huge pool, but I have options to survive site 2. One of them (what I would most likely do anyway), is to attach Deagol to Gamling, and start the skirmish at him, and use Erkenbrand's Horn to survive, then I can use Deagol to pull Gamling's Horn and use some other followers to keep the hobbits alive (Smeagol can die at this point, I no longer need him). If I draw an Unheeded, Smeagol can take down the biggest minion, and if I draw No Visitors, I can cancel a skirmish involving some epic monster. I can also attach all the followers to survive or use TGR.

After I survive site 2, I won't give much twilight, only some with Gamling's start ability, 1 for each hobbit if I bounce them, and maybe some Shadowplay, and the opponent will have to leave 2 (or potentially 4) open or Make Haste will take down a minion. The hobbits clear burdens with Home and Hearth/ Make Haste/ Daddy Twofoot, and Merry can return the horns, if they are discarded (and thanks to No Visitors, he can survive some skirmishes).

The deck is huge, but I pull about 20 cards in the first turn, and one more with Gamling at each start, and I also start with 4 companions, so it's size is reasonable. I'm not settled on the Shadow side yet, but I have some ideas:

- Shelob, Eater of Light: Finally a deck that is huge enough to give home to my EoL combo shadow (I used to play it with 4 Ottar + 4 Elrond, LoR), I don't know if it is strong enough on GCCG or not, but it was a monster in our playgroup.
- Moving this Way - Random Nazgul stuff: This is the most common way to play hornfilter decks, but this is not quite a hornfilter deck, I only pull 12 followers, and not my whole freeps side.
- Random Corruption: Given the fact that I will most likely draw a lot more shadow cards than free peoples cards, I can use various evil card interactions, to corrupt the opponent.

I would welcome any suggestions on the shadow side (and any constructive idea on the freeps side).

B.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:14:56 AM by Shelobplayer »

February 24, 2011, 12:16:59 AM
Reply #1

MuadDib85

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: Gamling Horn-choke [looking for shadow side]
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:16:59 AM »

February 24, 2011, 03:46:40 AM
Reply #2

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:46:40 AM »
Ok, I got it... But I haven't played in the past 5 years (only the ~120 games I played in the past 2 months on GCCG), so I wanted to see it in action.

(now I saw it with a random shadow, and probably won't play it again, unless I meet something really broken)

February 24, 2011, 05:48:06 AM
Reply #4

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:48:06 AM »
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4282

Yeah, I know, but I don't like that version. I played something like that in expanded and it is a way too boring (not like my version is fair).

February 24, 2011, 08:25:47 AM
Reply #5

uncle_elrond

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:25:47 AM »
I'm glad I'm helping you be more creative, although I wasn't playing Rohan so I'm not sure how I inspired that one.  I would probably play a corruption shadow with it since they'll be less free peoples card in the deck and it will help your combos set up better.  And if they want to outbid you to go first, well that just helps you more doesn't it?

February 24, 2011, 09:07:32 AM
Reply #6

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »
I'm glad I'm helping you be more creative, although I wasn't playing Rohan so I'm not sure how I inspired that one.  I would probably play a corruption shadow with it since they'll be less free peoples card in the deck and it will help your combos set up better.  And if they want to outbid you to go first, well that just helps you more doesn't it?

Well, it was you and another guy playing Gamling, Sam and Frodo, but I can't remember his name :) (I haven't thought about Horn first, only No Visitors and Merry, but then the horn stuff became so... obvious). I played one game with this list, and paired it with my Dark Fell About Him corruption, just added 4 Moving This Way plus a bunch of nazguls, rings and events.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:12:50 AM by Shelobplayer »