LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Most powerfull strategies in Fellowship block  (Read 14960 times)

June 14, 2011, 09:35:57 AM
Read 14960 times

Fesan

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Most powerfull strategies in Fellowship block
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
Hi, was thinking about decks and posibilities and to me it seems that Uruks are the most powerfull shadow side. But does everyone agree to that?

And what is the most powerfull/Best free people side?

Wanted to get an opinion from you guys on what FP and shadowside you rate as the best/most powerfull in fellowship. They don't have to be in the same deck. You could vote for Moria swarm shadowside and a FP side that does not work good at all with a Moria deck. I am after an isolated vote for the best FP strategy and Shadowstrategy.

To me it seems these are the most succesfull ones:

FP: Some kind of choke (vague I know, but I do not know enough about choke to pick one:)
Shadow: Uruk beatdown or bomb or whatever it is called.

What do you reckon?

June 14, 2011, 11:14:13 AM
Reply #1

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Most powerfull strategies in Fellowship block
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
i have played only limited FOTR block but from what i have seen, a wounding choke has been most successful and common on the freeps side. choking with whatever, dishing out heaps of wounds, and then having a strong comp to take on the leftovers. usually run a splash comp or 2 and maybe a sacrificial lamb for Ye Almighty Balrog, may he live forever.

on the shadow side it is quite varied. successful shadows include:
moria swarm
ferny frost
nazzy beatdown
and of course, the uruks like you already mentioned. savagery can be killer.

June 14, 2011, 01:23:31 PM
Reply #2

Fesan

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »
Never quite gotten Nazguls to work, anyone got the link to a succesfull beatdown version?

June 14, 2011, 09:14:30 PM
Reply #3

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:14:30 PM »
in fotr block, I've got 1 word for you, well three actually, discard, discard, discard. The way to win a war is to eliminate your opponents war making capabilities. In LOTR TCG that means get rid of their deck.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

June 14, 2011, 10:02:34 PM
Reply #4

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
in fotr block, I've got 1 word for you, well three actually, discard, discard, discard. The way to win a war is to eliminate your opponents war making capabilities. In LOTR TCG that means get rid of their deck.

If you do that, then no one's gonna play with you after a while lol. Unless they create their own discard, then you're sort of killing the fun of strategical gameplay. But that's just me.
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

June 15, 2011, 02:58:50 PM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
Never quite gotten Nazguls to work, anyone got the link to a succesfull beatdown version?

I've written an article on Fellowship block way back on Cobra Cards (there's a link to the old site at the top right corner of the page), and there are a lot of succesful strategies for block listed there. Take a look at it, here is a link to it.

June 15, 2011, 04:22:26 PM
Reply #6

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
@Anautikus: Very valid point, no one will want to make war against you. Which is great in real life... not so good for LOTR TCG, sigh
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd

June 17, 2011, 06:48:26 AM
Reply #7

Fesan

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:48:26 AM »

I've written an article on Fellowship block way back on Cobra Cards (there's a link to the old site at the top right corner of the page), and there are a lot of succesful strategies for block listed there. Take a look at it, here is a link to it.

Thank you! That post is FANTASTIC:-) Going to give it a good read now, tons of usefull information. Just what I was looking for! Thanks again...

June 27, 2011, 08:38:25 PM
Reply #8

ramolnar

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
In Fellowship Block, it's fairly difficult to actually kill a ringbearer, if the opponent is at all decent. It's not Expanded, Standard, or even Movie Block. A typical decent fellowship will try to win in 5 turns: 1-3, 3-5, 5-6, 6-8, 8-9. To win, you can plan on one or more of the following:

A) Go first and win in 5 turns. People would bid 5 or 6 to go first, start Green Dragon Inn, and pull Son of Hamfast to remove 3 burdens. This isn't bad, but pulling Sam has some disadvantages; in particular, it's tough to play Horn of Boromir.
B) Play to win in 4 double moves. This is extremely tough, because a good shadow should prevent that. 5-7, 7-9 is really tough. People tried Gift of Boats to triple 6-9, but that's also tough.
C) Build a shadow to get an additional stop, most often at site 2 or 4. If the opponent needs 6 turns, the typical fellowship can win in 5.

The most commonly played fellowships were based on Horn of Boromir and lots of Elf Allies, or heavy choke (A Talent for Not Being Seen, No Stranger to the Shadows, Aragorn Heir to the White City). Almost every fellowship at least splashes Greenleaf, and almost every deck plays some Aragorn, and most play Aragorn's Bow. Strategy A) usually played choke, because a Sam got in the way of Horn. There are other workable fellowships - I played a Gandalf FotS deck - but it's easier to start with one of those.

As for shadows, Uruks with Hollin were the most consistent, because no roaming at site 4 usually meant the extra stop. Keeper of Isengard and Savagery keep Uruks on the table for those stops, too. There's a reason something like 12 of the top 16 decks at the first Worlds ran Uruks.
You also need to be prepared for Nazgul and early stops (fear of Ford of Bruinen), and Moria with Isengard Warrior. Discard is also tricky if you haven't practiced; the trick is to not waste cards and bluff Shadow for stops. There are also Twilight and Ferny Frost combo, but they need experience and a deft touch.