LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gimli and wounds (FP)  (Read 5099 times)

August 14, 2011, 05:06:53 AM
Read 5099 times

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
Gimli and wounds (FP)
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:06:53 AM »
Alright, so I've been wanting to do something with Gimli, Skilled Defender, and Hardy Garrison for a while now, but I haven't come up with anything too amazing, so I was looking for insightful feedback on what could make it amazing-nificant? Anyway,

v.1.1 Gimli + Legolas + Men:

Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms
The One Ring, AtaR

Fellowship (36):

1x Gimli, Skilled Defender (starting)
1x Legolas, Fearless Marksman (starting)
2x Faramir, Son of Denethor
3x Aragorn, Driven By Need
1x Eowyn, LoI

1x Ever My Heart Rises
2x Preparations
3x Hardy Garrison

3x Slaked Thirsts
3x Quick As May Be
3x Battle Tested
2x Counts But One
2x Calculated Risk
2x Blood Runs Chill
2x Might of Numenor

1x Aragorn's Bow
1x Faramir's Bow
1x Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
1x Gimli's Helm
1x Brego

Strategy: Win with Gimli! Get some wounds out in the maneuver and archery phases, targeting one minion if needed, and then have fun in the skirmish. Win with strength, Hardy Garrison, or however else you seem fit, and then proceed to wound, and use Counts But One to repeat, if needed. Idk how potent this seems I just thought it right now haha; Faramir is nice to get another bow out and also protect from ugly skirmish abilities. Aragorn helps you manage your threats, which you can easily throw out with Counts But One and Calculated Risk. With Preparations and Ever My Heart Rises (can grab with that site one), Battle Tested will always be a +4 boost to help you out. What do you guys think? Seems susceptible to a lot at this point...looking for ways to regain initiative in the skirmish to abuse Hardy Garrison that's not Elf+Still Needed+Banner of Elbereth. It's also on the big side; I need some help on deciding which cards to cut.

---

Now, I generally like my Gilmi+Lego+Men idea, but macheteman mentioned Gimli with hobbits, which intrigued me, so I came with this version as well:

v.2.0 Gimli + Bouncing Hobbits:

The One Ring, AtaR

Fellowship (37):

1x Merry, Swordthain (starting)
1x Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver (starting)
3x Faramir, Son of Denethor

1x Ever My Heart Rises
2x Preparations
3x Hardy Garrison
3x Second Level
3x Shadowplay
2x Great Heart
1x A Light In His Mind

3x Slaked Thirsts
2x Counts But One
2x Calculated Risk
2x Blood Runs Chill
2x Unheeded
2x NFFATROD

1x Gimli's Helm
1x Faramir's Bow

For this one, I tried to slim it down as best I could, while keeping what I wanted, but it's still big. There might be too much going on, but it all seems so fun. I wanted to use Pippin's ability to maximum power, so I added a few Second Level, with Faramir triggering it, and allowing WoBaS to work longer as well as aid Gimli in winning more skirmishes, and triggering initiative manipulation. If I can perfect this Gimli+Faramir+hobbits version, I'll be happy. I threw in Great Heart for the lols because no one uses it, and it it seems to work perfectly with the wounding and the bouncing (and the hoyven mayven!), but yea, thoughts are appreciated, especially, again, on what to cut. Thanks!

---

Inspiration (and a bit of theft) from NK!

v.3.0 Gimli + Bouncing Hobbits:

The One Ring, AtaR

Fellowship (37):

1x Sam, Resolute Halfling (starting)
1x Smeagol, Always Helps (starting)
3x Boromir, Son of Denethor
1x Aragorn, Ranger of the North
3x Bilbo, Retired Adventurer

3x Hardy Garrison
3x Shadowplay
3x A Light In His Mind
3x Red Book of Westmarch
3x Birthday Present
4x NFFATROD

2x Counts But One
2x Calculated Risk
2x Blood Runs Chill

1x Gimli's Armor
1x Gimli's Helm
1x Faramir's Bow

So I decided to skip the whole Preparations+Slaked Thirsts route, and decided to try to implement Red Book of Westmarch to completely maximize my skirmish phase output. Try to get Faramir out asap; Aragorn and Boromir are just there for late game; I might just throw in something to stack them for use late game, maybe Preparations :lol: or Ever My Heart Rises. Anyway, the set up is Bilbo, Red Book, Birthday Present, Hardy Garrison, and any number of NFFATROD in your hand, while having exactly four cards in hand by the skirmish phase. Then play a NFFATROD to do whichever ability, get rid of some burdens with A Light in his Mind, lose initiative, and regain initiative with RBoW! Losing and gaining intiative will trigger Hardy Garrison, which in turn will (as many times as need be used) kill whoever Gimli is skirmishing, in turn triggering his effect for further damage. Counts But One seems awesome, and threats go away with NFFATROD. This deck is huge right now, but I feel like Sam will just toss cards left and right to cycle wonderfully. Smeagol's ability rocks with Hardy Garrison, and Gimli kills whoever Boromir's skirmishing. This deck is VERY susceptible to early corruption, so I'm looking for some help; just an idea I want to get working properly haha. Thoughts and thanks in advance!

EDIT: Ugh, I totally forgot Gimli's ability only works for UNbound companions, so I had to remove Faramir, because otherwise everyone would be ringbound hahah. I don't know if the deck is still as versatile as I thought it would be, but it still looks fun! My main gripe now is whether to start Gimli and Sam, or Gimli and the 2 hobbits (both would start Smeagol).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:53:52 AM by Anautikus »
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

August 14, 2011, 05:36:01 AM
Reply #1

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Gimli and wounds (FP)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:01 AM »
well if you have bouncing hobbits you can pop them back into hand to regain initiative. it would then be quite possible to run some shadowplay to make them useful. on the other hand, you HAVE an elf already...

another few thoughts: you have 2x preparations, you really should be running some slaked thirsts. and with all those wounds running around, you HAVE to run lady of ithilien. shes just that good.

actually, hobbits idea sounds better and better to me, because if you want to be using counts but one, you can remove them from their skirmishes and bring them into hand. in addition to aragorn for threat management, run a few nine fingered frodo, which can also retard corruption. so basically it would be a [Gondor][Shire][Dwarven] deck. i realize this is a massive departure from what you have, but it it IS still using skilled defender and hearty garrison.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:41:17 PM by macheteman »

August 14, 2011, 06:16:49 PM
Reply #2

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »
Hmm, very valid thoughts mm. I'll think about what I want to do with the deck now haha. Too many options, between Eowyn and Hobbits. I might ditch Legolas and start Eowyn off the bat; that could potentially be more potent with Slaked Thirsts. There are no movie mounts for dwarves, huh...
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

August 14, 2011, 10:37:55 PM
Reply #3

hildegarn

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »
Well,there is brego,but you have to spot a rohan man.

August 14, 2011, 10:42:49 PM
Reply #4

hildegarn

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
Just checked and you are right. Its just man,elf or wizard...weird

August 15, 2011, 03:03:20 PM
Reply #5

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
I am a firm proponent of Rohirrim Guard in any Hardy Garrison deck.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

August 16, 2011, 03:28:52 AM
Reply #6

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:28:52 AM »
I have like 3 different deck ideas now. I'll post them all when I finish each to see which one seems most likely to work!

EDIT: Added a decklist for the hobbit version! Definitely gonna do a Gimli+Rohan one after!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:48:57 AM by Anautikus »

Trade List

August 16, 2011, 04:26:57 PM
Reply #7

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:57 PM »
Now that I look at it, I'm wondering if I should add more burden protection, since Isildur is pretty much going bare without any support. Maybe splashing in a Sam, SOH could do the trick.  :-k

Trade List

August 16, 2011, 04:57:18 PM
Reply #8

azogsbane

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:57:18 PM »
My brother has a Gimli wounding/Elf archer deck. It thrives on Quick As May Be and Baruk Khazad. Of course that requires a lot Endurance of Dwarves to allow for all those exertions on Gimli. Some of those cards might work for you too.

August 17, 2011, 02:30:17 AM
Reply #9

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 02:30:17 AM »
My brother has a Gimli wounding/Elf archer deck. It thrives on Quick As May Be and Baruk Khazad. Of course that requires a lot Endurance of Dwarves to allow for all those exertions on Gimli. Some of those cards might work for you too.
Yea but I'm not looking to abuse maneuver/archery wounding, but work more in the skirmish phases. The version with Legolas does in fact have Quick As May Be.

Trade List