LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gimli and wounds 3.0  (Read 5001 times)

September 03, 2011, 01:07:30 AM
Read 5001 times

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
Gimli and wounds 3.0
« on: September 03, 2011, 01:07:30 AM »
Inspiration and stolen ideas from NK! (Man, the more I look at it, it's more of the same... #-o)
So I was just going to add on to the previous thread I had on Gimli, which I did anyway, but I didn't want to bump it since the main post was getting congested with three different deck ideas, and it was really more for myself to spit out my ideas, so I decided to post the latest one here.

v.3.0 Gimli + Hobbits:
(40)
Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms
The One Ring, AtaR

Fellowship:

1x Gimli, Skilled Defender (starting)
1x Merry, Friend to Sam (starting)
1x Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence (starting)
1x Smeagol, Always Helps (starting)
3x Sam, Resolute Halfling
3x Boromir, Son of Denethor
3x Bilbo, Retired Adventurer

2x A Light In His Mind
3x Shadowplay
3x Red Book of Westmarch
3x Birthday Present
4x NFFATROD
4x The Shire Countryside

3x Hardy Garrison

1x Gimli's Helm
2x Slaked Thirsts
2x Preparations

Shadow:

4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Sneak
4x Goblin Backstabber
3x Goblin Scrabbler
3x They Are Coming

4x Uruk Captain
4x Orthanc Warrior
3x Uruk Lieutenant
4x Hate and Anger
3x Saruman's Ambition
3x Abandoning Reason for Madness
1x Saruman's Power

Try to get Boromir out asap for Hardy Garrison. The ideal set up is Bilbo, Red Book, Birthday Present, Hardy Garrison, and any number of NFFATROD in your hand, while having exactly four cards in hand by the skirmish phase (4 NFFATROD = 4x the fun). Play a NFFATROD, use whichever ability, get rid of burdens with A Light in his Mind, lose initiative, and regain initiative with RBoW! Losing and gaining intiative will trigger Hardy Garrison, which in turn will (as many times as need be used) kill whoever Gimli is skirmishing, in turn triggering his effect for further damage. Counts But One would seem awesome to use in this deck, with threats going away with NFFATROD. Hmm...

Paired it with a Hate and Anger swarm/draw build to get out my cards that much faster. Do I need more minions for that? Or it is wiser to add those support cards? Anyway, thoughts and thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:45:02 PM by Anautikus »
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

September 03, 2011, 11:42:30 PM
Reply #1

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Re: Gimli and wounds 3.0
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:42:30 PM »
I would go with Preparations and Slaked Thirsts anyway. Gives you the option to do some maneuver wounding as well, on various occassions. Corsairs are good in the cycle, but they are a bit lame. Hate and Anger, and that Isengard card that makes you toss X and draw X is nice as well. Stupid swarm could be very lethal.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

September 04, 2011, 07:20:28 AM
Reply #2

drj0000

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
I am new to movie block but why would you play isildur? All he does besides allow you to play one card in your deck is sit there and ever time he fights he adds 2 burdens.... his other text is usless. I don't get how that could be worth the low resistance...

September 05, 2011, 12:01:08 AM
Reply #3

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:01:08 AM »
I would go with Preparations and Slaked Thirsts anyway. Gives you the option to do some maneuver wounding as well, on various occassions. Corsairs are good in the cycle, but they are a bit lame. Hate and Anger, and that Isengard card that makes you toss X and draw X is nice as well. Stupid swarm could be very lethal.
I guess I could run a massive Isengard+Moria drawing shadow mixed with a stupidish swarm. Don't you think with Preparations and Slaked Thirsts, it's just too many cards? Hahah I could give it a try though; I want to have this deck irl just for fun lol.

And as for Isildur, he indeed does allow me to play Hardy Garrison early, but what with me needing draw things very early, and also needing 2 [Gondor] men out to play Hardy Garrison, it saves slots I could use for other things, as well as saving me the trouble of having to draw two Gondor guys instead of just one. But hey, I could easily try a version with Frodo. :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:07:49 AM by Anautikus »
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

September 05, 2011, 05:42:47 PM
Reply #4

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:42:47 PM »
i used to play hate and anger swarm decks. its all minions excepts for 4x hate and anger and 4x saruman's ambition. it really only kills in TS. movie block lacks that killer site 5.

September 05, 2011, 11:13:46 PM
Reply #5

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:13:46 PM »
But you should mix up the minions well. No archery special abilities for example could be helpful. Try to eliminate as many variables and I think you are good to go....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

September 06, 2011, 04:40:24 AM
Reply #6

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:24 AM »
4x goblin runner, 4x goblin backstabber, a couple of those elven hate and a couple dwarven hate goblins, probably throw in the uruk captain or whatever he's called. the one who is unique and plays uruks from discard. its pretty simple. go with your gut.

September 06, 2011, 12:46:11 PM
Reply #7

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
Abandoning Reason for Madness will probably work well too, consider the numerous copies of, well, everything in the fellowship side lol. Probably gonna stick with this shadow for now. Thanks guys. :up:

Trade List

September 06, 2011, 01:04:47 PM
Reply #8

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
yeah, if you are trying to cycle that's definitely a bonus. ditch freeps cards, and maybe pick up another isenguard drawing event (or 2) and keep the machine going. the key is to have a couple saruman's ambition so that you aren't shortchanging yourself on the flip side. if it costs you 5 twilight tokens to play all your drawing events, that translates to a bunch of minions you could have played.

September 07, 2011, 12:33:13 PM
Reply #9

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »
haha yea. I had a Hate and Anger build I used earlier, and Saruman's Ambition was so nice. Ridiculous 14 card hands.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:25:03 PM by Anautikus »

Trade List