LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: My first page. How does it look?  (Read 627 times)

April 24, 2012, 11:42:17 PM
Read 627 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
My first page. How does it look?
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/cultures

I know there's a lot of red links, but I left them in to hopefully spur some others into action. But do we want all those pages, or would it be a bit ridiculous to have each culture and phase receiving its own article?

Feel free to gauge my worthiness. I'm awful new at this!

April 25, 2012, 12:00:06 AM
Reply #1

Kralik

Re: My first page. How does it look?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
I think it's a great start! Let me just give you a quick tip regarding syntax:

{{ }} is used for media, such as linking images and PDF files.

is used for linking to other pages. It looks like that is what you actually wanted to do.

Also, you could link "Fellowship of the Ring" to the set index, if you wish, or we could make a new page for it if there's any interesting information that others wanted to add. But as an example, to link to the index, you would use:

Fellowship of the Ring

Thanks for the hard work!

April 25, 2012, 12:02:06 AM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02:06 AM »
Oh, I'm all over this.  I'll have those links blue by the end of the week.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 25, 2012, 09:30:14 AM
Reply #3

Kralik

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
I've moved the culture icons from the smiley code to the Autolink code and they now each link to their respective culture page and show the name of the culture in the tooltip.

For the cultures page, how about a table? I've started a short one but I don't have time to finish it at the moment. Maybe someone else would like to?

April 25, 2012, 03:16:35 PM
Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
Started the page for races http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/race.

April 25, 2012, 04:18:06 PM
Reply #5

Kralik

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
So I noticed you edited Gandalf, Returned -- you really got to design a card? What were the other cards and who designed them?

April 25, 2012, 04:52:00 PM
Reply #6

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Haha yeah it's one of those little pieces of trivia I love talking about  :mrgreen:

Back when Hunters was just releasing, Decipher (on their TCG Online forums) started a contest where anybody could submit a single character DC that, according to their wishes, would work well in a starter deck. I wrote Gandalf, Returned immediately just because I thought it was cool (and I have an ongoing love for the enhanced 'Character With Weapon' cards from SWCCG). It got voted to the top, and after a few minor tweaks, was voted as one of the six.

The other five:
Saruman, Instigator of Insurrection
The Witch-king, Conqueror of Arthedain
Gimli, Sprinter
Aragorn, Heir to the Throne of Gondor (I can't remember who it was precisely, but the guy who wrote this one used to frequent the old CC boards)
Lurtz, Halfling Hunter

We were each asked to supply a possible image to use with our cards. I vividly remember Aragorn's designer being upset because they went with 'dirty hunter Aragorn' instead of 'hey guys I'm a king and stuff.'

Another piece of trivia: Like I said before, the brief was to write cards that would be easily-splashable in starter decks. I think my Gandalf fits that criteria pretty well, but some of these don't and there was a brief uproar because of that. Oh well. I was pretty disappointed that Decipher didn't credit the 6 of us in the actual printing, but yeah if anybody still has access to the LotRO cards then you'll be able to see our names. I'm sure the names of the other authors are out there somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:56:38 PM by menace64 »

April 25, 2012, 04:57:45 PM
Reply #7

Kralik

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
That's great -- you're FAMOUS!

April 25, 2012, 05:02:05 PM
Reply #8

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »
Holy crap here's a working link to the initial article: http://web.archive.org/web/20060421174523/http://lotronline.decipher.com/notes/HuntersCardDesign2.shtml

We should probably plunder these archived pages before they disappear. The online site has a TON of information concerning cultural development and design articles.

April 30, 2012, 07:46:55 AM
Reply #9

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 07:46:55 AM »
Holy crap here's a working link to the initial article: http://web.archive.org/web/20060421174523/http://lotronline.decipher.com/notes/HuntersCardDesign2.shtml

We should probably plunder these archived pages before they disappear. The online site has a TON of information concerning cultural development and design articles.

That's not going anywhere; the Wayback Machine has literally petabytes of info stored; they're not in quite so shaky a situation as Decipher was.

Nonetheless, I've taken the liberty of doing a shotgun extraction for the culture info and what meaningful articles could possibly be gleaned.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

May 03, 2014, 11:22:07 AM
Reply #10

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
Funnily enough, I say that, but failed to take into consideration that the Wayback Machine would deny access at some point in the future.  At some point what vestiges remain of Decipher changed their robots.txt to deny crawling, and apparently the WM takes this and retroactively applies it all pages ever pulled, which sucks.

I just wanted to add a footnote here in that I found the names of individuals who designed cards:

Gandalf, Returned - menace64
Aragorn, heir to the Throne of Gondor - Deathbymonkeys
Gimli, Sprinter - Bjearld
Lurtz, Halfling Hunter - Eomer_14
Saruman, Instigator of Insurrection - lyonscc
The Witch-King, Conqueror of Arthedain - Roy1991

For posterity's sake.