LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Man and Monster (New Format!) - Farmer Maggot and Lurtz.  (Read 3850 times)

September 30, 2012, 10:27:35 PM
Read 3850 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Man and Monster (New Format!) - Farmer Maggot and Lurtz.
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
The idea behind this new deck format is to scale back the scope of both Free Peoples and Shadow sides of your game, simultaneously limiting the dangers you may face while increasing the peril with each decision you make. You see, each side of your deck is limited to one character: one companion to assist Frodo on his quest, and then 4 copies of a single minion.

I highly recommend keeping these decks to 30/30. So far, every time I've played we've all pretty much decked ourselves by site 9. Since the format itself limits you to a very specific sort of deck, there are no banned or restricted cards. But you can't use followers or allies of any kind.

Here is an example of a Man and Monster deck using Farmer Maggot and Lurtz. Anyone who knows my history with this game should remember my old love for Farmer Maggot, Chaser of Rascals. Once I had the idea for this format, my first desire was to put the Maggot companion to work. And let me tell you... this deck is awesome; it's easily the most powerful of the three decks I've built thus far. Make Haste will almost always result in the only minion in play getting trashed, and spamming Halfling Leaf can cancel skirmishes over and over again. Lurtz's side of things is simple enough: tank, murder, repeat.

Also, I highly recommend keeping these decks to 30/30. So far, every time I've played we've all pretty much decked ourselves by site 9.

Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer (With The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles)
Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish

Buckland Homestead, East Road, Helm's Gate, Hill of Sight, Hobbiton Market, Streets of Bree, Trollshaw Forest, Valley of the Silverlode, Westemnet Village

Free Peoples (30)
Conditions (13):
Halfling Leaf x2
Kept Safe
Not Feared in Sunlight x3
Sudden Fury x2
The Tale of the Great Ring x2
There and Back Again x3

Events (6):
Concerning Hobbits x3
Make Haste x3

Artifacts/Possessions (10):
Bill the Pony
Hobbit Sword x2
Mithril-coat, Dwarf-mail
Old Toby x4
Salt from the Shire
Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs

Shadow (30)
Minions (4):
Lurtz, Minion of the White Wizard x4

Conditions (13):
Deathly Roar x2
Pikes Upon Pikes x2
Saruman's Ambition x4
Suffered Much Loss x2
Uruk Bloodlust
Uruk-hai Rampage x2

Events (8):
Breeding Pit x2
Brutality x3
Ghastly Wound x3

Possessions (5):
Lurtz's Bow, Black-fletch Bow
Lurtz's Sword x2
Weapon of Opportunity x2

I hope you like the look of this deck, and I recommend building a few in this format! I discovered cards, always overlooked, that really started to shine once a limit was placed on the characters a player can use. It's a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:43:36 PM by menace64 »