LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Player committee?  (Read 18411 times)

October 24, 2008, 11:23:01 AM
Reply #15

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: Player committee?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
Quote from: HawkeyeSPF
As I've spent more and more of my time in the TLHH (and previously CC) forums being made to feel like an idiot for not using NPE tactics, I've now decided that it is time to move on from this game, and concentrate my free time on Star Wars CCG and other activities not called LotR.

I think several of the early committee rulings would nerf the most egregious NPEs. I hope so, at least, because there are several that just beat all the fun out of playing. 'Tis why I'll never be roped into a game in Open. Blech. :-X
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

October 24, 2008, 11:33:48 AM
Reply #16

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »
What are NPE's ?

You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.

October 24, 2008, 11:42:36 AM
Reply #17

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »
Negative Player Experiences. Basically, decks that exploit flaws and overpowered combos (thanks mostly to Decipher's sloppy design in later sets) and require little careful planning and thought, but they beat you into the ground and demolish whatever deck you spent long hours designing.

Yeah, not a fan. >:( In my humble opinion, they take all the fun out of the game. But they seem to be all the rage with a handful of people.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

October 24, 2008, 11:50:06 AM
Reply #18

Kralik

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:06 AM »
As I've spent more and more of my time in the TLHH (and previously CC) forums being made to feel like an idiot for not using NPE tactics, I've now decided that it is time to move on from this game, and concentrate my free time on Star Wars CCG and other activities not called LotR.

Sorry to see you go! :( Thanks again for your contributions to the database -- it has helped a lot. :up: I would love to see a PC which could guide this game into prosperity again... if one is eventually formed, could you pop in and let us know? ;)

October 25, 2008, 01:06:42 AM
Reply #19

imrahil327

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 01:06:42 AM »
Hey all, I'm the Chris he spoke of...I don't know what exactly is going on at the moment, I have to talk to Vince, but I just became aware of this site today, so I thought I'd pop in.

October 25, 2008, 01:07:21 PM
Reply #20

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »
Hey all, I'm the Chris he spoke of...I don't know what exactly is going on at the moment, I have to talk to Vince, but I just became aware of this site today, so I thought I'd pop in.
Fantastic! =D> I'm really excited about a PC, so I was just checking that things were still happening.

Good to hear from you. :up:

Thranduil

October 25, 2008, 08:43:59 PM
Reply #21

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »

No, I will not be getting rid of any of my cards, so don't ask. Though I dislike where some people try to take this game, it is still great at its core, and I want to be able to play this game with my kids someday.

Well...sorry you feel that way. I think you have a grave misconception of the NPE players. You see, we play Open. And in Open, there's this twisted sense of balance, that is, if everything is broken, then nothing is.

For casual, I think you'd be surprised to hear that my favorite deck is still old school Underdeeps Moria.

I particularly am a fan of Block format, Movie Block, Standard, Expanded and Open. Block format is extremely low-powered and fun. Open is a clash of titanic combos, and also fun. The other formats fall in between.

So standard is a broken format. So? If you want to play FotR or Movie Block, we don't complain. But if you enter a format where there are broken combos, don't whine about there being broken combos. If you think a card should be x-listed, then go ahead and get it x-listed! The first card to hit the X-list IMO is Trolls Keyward, Keeper of the Beast, but I still play it, because it is in the format, and boycotting all the powerful cards to make a point will get you run over, so you can then go sulk about how the game's going down the tubes.

My point being, get with the format, or pick a format that suits your fancy and don't whine about other formats.

Somewhat off-topic, I also find it quite odd how all the people complain about open being so broken, when the people who play open LIKE IT broken. Maybe there's a principle there.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

October 26, 2008, 03:28:53 AM
Reply #22

imrahil327

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 03:28:53 AM »
I'm sorry to see Steve go too- he would've been a good asset to have.

I understand your perspective though, NBarden.  One of the other games I play is Warlord CCG.  It has an Open format similar to LOTRs, with insane amounts of craziness- first turn kills, sometimes first ACTION kills, infinite loops, the whole bit.  There are people who love it, and people who hate it.  Basically, we say the same thing you have: Play the format you like.  If you prefer a more 'normalized' format, by all means play it.  If you prefer the craziness, play that too.

In my opinion, the formats should be somewhat equally supported.  There are a few issues in play though: First, LOTR has more 'alternate' formats from most games- All the 'block' formats, Standard, Open, and by now who knows if there are even more that I am currently unaware of.  Secondly, 'support' is going to be a somewhat relative term, considering we don't have the Decipher backing that the SW player's committee has.  Even if we get their okay to be "official" (which will of course be essential to even getting the project off the ground), we probably will not get the large amounts of product and supplies that the SWCCGPC received, so we will definitely have to be more creative when it comes to incentives, prizes and a tournament system.  If anyone has ideas about this, we'd certainly be glad to hear them.

October 26, 2008, 03:41:55 AM
Reply #23

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 03:41:55 AM »
All I won't to say is don't go crazy with trying to x-list everything a few people don't like. That will ruin the game more than help keep it alive. I'm all for a LOtR PC as long as they don't try to be the 'GODS' of rule changes and card errata and such. I fully support any group that is trying to keep this great game alive and trying to get more tournament support and such :up:. Just don't kill the game by x-listing, issuing errata and such because a few people don't like how the game is going.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

October 26, 2008, 04:24:17 AM
Reply #24

imrahil327

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 04:24:17 AM »
To be fair- the game isn't technically 'going' at all ;)  But I certainly see your point.  I am not speaking from any position of official authority when I say all of this, of course, but I'd say that Open will obviously stay as is. Standard needs a bit of work, and there are multiple different ways to do this.  I doubt we would do a lot of errata unless it is 'cosmetic' stuff- it's much easier to ban things, then bring back similar cards with the same INTENT but more proper costing, etc.  The "virtual card" concept gives quite a bit of latitude to fix older mistakes in a way that still allows for the use of strategies and cards that would otherwise be overpowered.

October 26, 2008, 04:31:34 AM
Reply #25

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 04:31:34 AM »
with all this said I look forward to what can be done, but still dread it to a point cause some people don't need the power to changes cards and rules. If the right people get that authority all will be good, but if the wrong people get in there it could be a disaster.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

October 26, 2008, 05:00:15 AM
Reply #26

imrahil327

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 05:00:15 AM »
LOL, not sure who the 'right' and 'wrong' people are, but I'm sure we will be looking for player suggestions, rather than just unilaterally saying "OK here's the banned list, have fun!" :)

October 26, 2008, 02:05:53 PM
Reply #27

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 02:05:53 PM »
ok, just want to add my 2 cents:

- Rule of 4: change it in to: no more than 4 cards can be taken in to hand or played from draw deck during your fellowship

- Warg Riders. That keyword should be added to certain Orcs, so that the wargs only can go to the Warg Riders. Banning the Keyward is ridiculous, cause that throws out an entire deck, instead of mellowing it.

- certain cards should be bound to a certain culture, such as Prized Lagan.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

October 26, 2008, 02:08:25 PM
Reply #28

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »
I'm in agreeance with GE, perhaps not on the warg thing, but Prized Lagan needs work, as does the Horn deck.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

October 26, 2008, 02:20:38 PM
Reply #29

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 02:20:38 PM »
I think these things are o.k.
I mean, different cultures have to help each other to defeat the forces of the shadow, for that, the FPP get problems, if he has more than 2 FP Cultures.
You see, Prized Lagan is not that problem!

kind regads
You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.