LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Custom Templates  (Read 57569 times)

November 27, 2012, 09:57:28 AM
Reply #150

MarcinS

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Custom Templates
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »
Getting a bit ahead, but if the second edition was to be implemented as an online game, I'd like to suggest some rule changes.

The effect timing rules of LotR do not translate very well to online experience. As an example - if you exert your minion to do some effect and the game pauses, you immediately know your opponent has Unheeded in his or her hand. This problem doesn't really exist in paper game, as you back up stuff, if your opponent wants to respond to an effect, but in an online gameplay you have to play (and be able to play) an effect, as it happens.

To avoid revealing this kind of information (very valuable) in an online gameplay, we could adopt the Magic: the Gathering timing rules. It should be possible (I already did an investigation) to have timing rules of Magic and gameplay (phases, story, etc) of LotR.
New/old way to play Lord of the Rings online.
Give Gemp-LotR a try.
All sets are finished

November 27, 2012, 11:39:51 AM
Reply #151

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »
Once you think each template is finished, I'd really like to see them next to the first ones you uploaded. You know, for awesome.

November 27, 2012, 01:56:45 PM
Reply #152

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »
The Shadow templates are now complete. The original post has been updated.

November 27, 2012, 02:13:00 PM
Reply #153

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
The new Sauron template is so good that I think it overshadows (haha) all the other evil templates. Is it just me, or did you pull a lot of the gold colors out of Fallen Realms? I really liked it last time I saw it, and now it just seems flat.

Also, would anybody be against the creation of an Ent culture? Maybe call it the Fangorn culture?

November 27, 2012, 03:18:17 PM
Reply #154

LOTRFreak15

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
That sounds like a good idea Menace. Making them be their own thing would be sweet. My favorite shadow one is Sauron. I just love how it looks. Amazing.

November 27, 2012, 07:39:25 PM
Reply #155

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2012, 07:39:25 PM »
I guess the keyword means he can't be assigned to skirmishes or take wounds in the archery phase, kinda like a shadow unhasty and like most versions of him :)
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

November 28, 2012, 12:15:22 AM
Reply #156

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2012, 12:15:22 AM »
Is it just me, or did you pull a lot of the gold colors out of Fallen Realms? I really liked it last time I saw it, and now it just seems flat.

This is intentional. I wanted more of a faded brass look rather than pure gold. These are fallen realms -- they should look a little flat. Their luster and vibrance is mostly gone, and I wanted the template to reflect that.

I guess the keyword means he can't be assigned to skirmishes or take wounds in the archery phase, kinda like a shadow unhasty and like most versions of him :)

Correct! Not quite the same as unhasty though, because unhasty companions still participate in the archery phase. Specifically, the cunning keyword means, "This minion does not participate in archery fire or skirmishes."

Also, would anybody be against the creation of an Ent culture? Maybe call it the Fangorn culture?

Right now I'm not really in favor of this. My reasons are twofold:

1) There are already seven Free Peoples cultures. Adding an eighth would, in my opinion, represent a bit of overkill.

2) There are seven Shadow cultures. Adding an eighth Free Peoples culture would upset the symmetry between the two sides and would likely prompt me to look at creating an eighth Shadow culture. Frankly, I'm not sure there's anything left to put into a new Shadow culture, so I'm loathe to upset the balance by introducing a new FP culture.

November 28, 2012, 12:37:15 AM
Reply #157

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »
Specifically, the cunning keyword means, "This minion does not participate in archery fire or skirmishes."
Is there really a need to introduce a loaded keyword? Probably this will be only for Saruman and maybe a few other oddities, leaving the full text makes people have to learn one rule less. The only thing I see is improved by this change is better wording for Saruman's Staff, but I don't think it's enough reason.

[/quote]

November 28, 2012, 01:00:13 AM
Reply #158

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2012, 01:00:13 AM »
Specifically, the cunning keyword means, "This minion does not participate in archery fire or skirmishes."
Is there really a need to introduce a loaded keyword? Probably this will be only for Saruman and maybe a few other oddities, leaving the full text makes people have to learn one rule less. The only thing I see is improved by this change is better wording for Saruman's Staff, but I don't think it's enough reason.

I've read a lot of material on design theory, and one of the most important concepts that comes up again and again is the idea of, "If you have to say something a lot, say it with a symbol or keyword."

So many versions of Saruman have this gametext. Frankly, it takes up way too much real estate on the card and limits the creative aspect of card creation because of space limitations. I want to be able to create new and interesting versions of Saruman w/o having to deal with losing so much space to an ability that pops up again and again.

Also, I can see other minions having this keyword. Gollum, Grima, and Bill Ferny immediately come to mind.

November 28, 2012, 01:03:47 AM
Reply #159

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2012, 01:03:47 AM »
The Site template has been posted. Original post updated.

November 28, 2012, 03:44:39 AM
Reply #160

MarcinS

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2012, 03:44:39 AM »
Do the sites have to be horizontal?
Give Gemp-LotR a try.
All sets are finished

November 28, 2012, 04:09:30 AM
Reply #161

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2012, 04:09:30 AM »
Sites need little game text and a landscape picture. This fits way better onto a horizontal card.

November 28, 2012, 07:51:01 AM
Reply #162

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2012, 07:51:01 AM »
And finally, The One Ring is templated. Original post updated.

November 28, 2012, 09:39:19 AM
Reply #163

MarcinS

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
Sites need little game text and a landscape picture. This fits way better onto a horizontal card.
I believe it's the other way around - because sites are horizontal, they can have only very little text.
Give Gemp-LotR a try.
All sets are finished

November 28, 2012, 07:46:30 PM
Reply #164

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
This is intentional. I wanted more of a faded brass look rather than pure gold. These are fallen realms -- they should look a little flat. Their luster and vibrance is mostly gone, and I wanted the template to reflect that.

Makes sense, but doesn't change my opinion that the newer look is boring. Nothing pops on the template!