LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Eater of Light Shadow - A First Attempt  (Read 5362 times)

February 07, 2013, 09:37:03 PM
Read 5362 times

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
Eater of Light Shadow - A First Attempt
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »
I've never tried an EoL deck, so I thought I'd give it a go. It's paired with a Hobbit deck right now, but I'm trying to fix up the shadow.

(37):

3x Shelob, Eater of Light
1x Shelob, Her Ladyship
1x Gollum, Stinker
1x Gollum, Old Villain
1x Gollum, Dark as Darkness
2x Orc Commander
2x Orc Overseer
2x Isengard Smith
3x Isengard Warrior
4x Isengard Shaman

2x Spider Poison
2x Larder
4x Web

1x Final Strike
2x Saruman's Power
2x Sweeter Meats
4x Captured by the Ring (or We Must Have It)

This deck still needs testing. I put in a couple of Gollums for various scenarios. Sweeter Meats is there to keep people alive to stack onto Web, since the orcs die easily. Any Orcs you can't play or don't want, discard for Larder. And once Shelobs and Gollums are stacked as well, Eater of Light should be nasty.

The deck seems very susceptible to archery and directed wounding, but I'm wondering if a tanking Shelob can help soak the wounds and just pick off companions. Also Isengard Warrior helps.

Made an initial Morc-incorporation version, then realized that Isengard Warrior can help with archery, so I threw together an Isengard version. The latter seems more potent. Also threw in Sweeter Meats to keep guys alive to be able to stack on Web.

It's on the big side, but with Larder and Gollum, I feel like there should be enough discarding on the shadow side to cycle well enough. But I could cut down. Thoughts?

*Side note: Are there any Orcs that work well with a bunch of shadow possessions? Can't think of any off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:13:15 PM by Anautikus »
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

February 12, 2013, 08:14:52 AM
Reply #1

Galdor420

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
Re: Eater of Light Shadow - A First Attempt
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
We Must Have It (5C30) > Captured by the Ring IMO. What are you using the threats for? Use We must have it to make Stinker a beast! Also, only 2 Gollums? get 2 more, add Gollum, Stinker (5R25) and Gollum, Plotting Deceiver (7R58) for versatility. If you are playing Gollum + Shelob nearly every turn non-directed archery should be a joke. also, since you use Isenguard orcs I see no reason to not use Spies of Saruman (1R140). Archery Problem solved. Remove Enquea, LoM since you have no way to trigger him he's a wasted deck spot. Remove Sweeter Meats, replace with spies. I like the Isenguard orcs idea, use up their vit, then stack em for double usefulness. Good luck!

February 13, 2013, 03:59:25 PM
Reply #2

Anautikus

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Life isn't a dress rehearsal.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
Spies of Saruman is nice, I'll definitely consider that. I like Sweeter Meats to keep guys alive in the skirmish phase, since I need guys alive to stack on Web, but maybe I can cut a copy. I threw in an Enquea for crowd control, but I think I can replace him for another Gollum. I'll tweak and test it out.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:45:11 PM by Anautikus »
"Do yourself a favor; never try to send a grappling hook through the post office."

Trade List

February 13, 2013, 07:11:45 PM
Reply #3

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »
For movie block I'd probably try initiative trackers with Orc Inquisitor, Tower of Barad-Dur and some Ithil Stones, that way you could also abuse Let her Deal with Them (and Plotting Deceiver).

Final Strike is generally a good way to protect against archery in Eater of Light decks, since Shelob can soak up archery total and you only have to worry about targeted wounding.

Morgul Ambusher is a nice splash if you are using CBTR.

February 15, 2013, 01:23:07 AM
Reply #4

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:23:07 AM »
Here is my interpretation of the Eater of Light:

4x Gollum, Mad Thing
3x Shelob, Eater of Light
1x Shelob, Her Ladyship
4x Foul Tentacle
4x Huge Tentacle
3x Watcher in the Water, Keeper of Westgate
4x Web
2x Captured by the Ring
4x Evil-smelling Fens
1x Fat One Wants It
1x Plotting
2x Promise Keeping
2x They Stole It

It's 35 cards and yes, it's not pure Eater of Light.

In fact, I wanted a Watcher in the Water swarm deck. This is very efficient (when it works). You wait until site 4 where your minions are not roaming, and with 14 twilight and a Foul Tentacle, you can put 6 minions on the table.

But this is a one shot: if your swarm fails, you cannot do anything dangerous anymore... This is where Eater of Light come: you don't need many cards to make it work (4x Web, 4x Gollum and 4x Shelob is the minimum), so I managed to have both decks in one.

The strategy is to play Gollum / Shelob early in the game to start stacking them on Web and adding threats. Then come site 4/5, you play you tentacles swarm.

Best case: you win!

More often, you overwhelm a character and the threats inflict more damage.

Worst case, nothing dramatic happens. You can then go on adding threats and boosting Shelob. At site 8, Northern Ithilien, you can use the following combo:

- play Watcher in the Water
- Remove 2 threats to play Gollum and add two burdens
- Gollum is discarded by the Watcher
- Continue converting threats to burdens

I found this deck to be very funny to play. Unfortunately, there are many combos (too many?) and some of them will not work (I never managed to do the Northern Ithilien corruption). But maybe it can help you in your deck building.

You can also see that I don't have any Orc to stack on Web. But with 4 copies of Web, you can only stack 8 minions max (in my case 4 Gollum and 3 Shelob). It's still a nice +21 strength for fierce Shelob!

February 15, 2013, 11:19:05 AM
Reply #5

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
you can actually stack 3 on each web giving a total of +36 strength

February 15, 2013, 11:45:09 AM
Reply #6

neopium

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »
Indeed :)

Anyway, +21 is certainly enough most of the time...

February 15, 2013, 01:19:10 PM
Reply #7

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Not all who wander are lost
    • My Blog: The Archives of Minas Tirith
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
Any thoughts on web/orc recursion, assuming the opponent is packing possession discard? I have always wanted to make an effective EoL deck but too often it is dismember by Roll of Thunder type effects.