LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Updating Nazgul shadow for movie format, need help!  (Read 7591 times)

March 19, 2013, 04:19:52 PM
Read 7591 times

Andrewgeddon

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Updating Nazgul shadow for movie format, need help!
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:19:52 PM »
So I haven't played LOTR in YEARS. I played a bit during the Fellowship block, but then the one guy who played got out of the hobby and I shelved my deck. Well, I'm wanting to get it up and running again, as I have found someone else to actually play with.

I've got the Fellowship part of the deck figured out (Was previously Hobbits, going to update it and keep it that way), but I'm not sure if the Shadow portion of my deck is salvageable? I don't see a lot of people running Nazgul on the forums, unless they are Twilight / Corruption I believe.

I'm not opposed to starting fresh with the shadow portion of my deck (Shelob, Eater of Light looks fun!), but I wouldn't mind updating my Nazgul to make them playable either. Any suggestions / tips / recommendations? I would appreciate it!

Here's what I currently have:

4 Ulaire Cantea, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
4 Ulaire Attea, Keeper of Dol Guldur
2 Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
2 Ulaire Nelya, Lieutenant of Morgul
3 The Witch-King, Lord of Angmar
2 Corrupt
2 All Blades Perish
1 Morgul Gates
1 Paths Seldom Trodden

Thanks!

March 20, 2013, 02:47:04 AM
Reply #1

gofatas2013

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Re: Updating Nazgul shadow for movie format, need help!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:47:04 AM »
The fresh news for the nazgul deck is "black rider"( http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/lotr12161?do=backlink ) Im actualy rebuilding my nazgul deck but Im sure that 4 copies of this card are in. Its very powerful. When I finish my deck I tell you, but of course the 4 witch king you have are valid

March 20, 2013, 06:45:19 AM
Reply #2

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:45:19 AM »
Paths seldom trodden only works with fellowship sites (dumb, I know). Add more Morgul Gates and drop one Attea and one Witch-King to make room for all 4.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

March 20, 2013, 08:10:05 AM
Reply #3

Andrewgeddon

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll try to get my hands on some more Morgul Gates, although they seem to be about $10 a pop. Not too bad, but that may have to be more of a "slow-grow" project.

Can you use Black Rider in Movie format? He's from the Black Rider set, which is not allowed in Movie format, if i'm not mistaken.

April 05, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
Reply #4

Andrewgeddon

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »
So I was able to pick up some cards, as well as get a few off a friend. Here's what I'm currently looking at:

4 Ulaire Cantea, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
4 Ulaire Attea, Keeper of Dol Guldur
2 Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
1 Ulaire Nelya, Lieutenant of Morgul
3 The Witch-King, Lord of Angmar

4 Morgul Gates
4 Nazgul Sword
2 The Pale Blade
2 Corrupt
2 All Blades Perish
2 Black Breath

2 Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow
2 Morgul Skulker
1 Morgul Destroyer

Any other suggestions? If I was at add 4 Black Riders, what should I take out?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:47:01 PM by Andrewgeddon »

April 05, 2013, 04:21:03 PM
Reply #5

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
Can you use Black Rider in Movie format? He's from the Black Rider set, which is not allowed in Movie format, if i'm not mistaken.

Promos up through 0P61 are legal in Movie, and it is 0P20.  If anyone/anywhere tells you otherwise, they're wrong.

Why they released it so early, I don't know, but I remember playing it then, and I have four of them in one of my Movie Block decks still.
Promos are only legal for a particular format if their corresponding "real" card is legal in that format. Black Rider is not legal for Movie Block.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

April 06, 2013, 06:44:08 PM
Reply #6

Andrewgeddon

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »
I'll probably avoid the Black Rider for now, if whether or not I can use it is unclear (plus I don't have any anyway). Besides that, I'd welcome any non-Black Rider suggestions :)

April 06, 2013, 09:03:06 PM
Reply #7

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
Promos are only legal for a particular format if their corresponding "real" card is legal in that format. Black Rider is not legal for Movie Block.

Bib is correct, Black Rider is NOT legal in Movie Block.  Just because someone says that they played it doesn't make it legal, they may have been misinformed.

Here is evidence that it isn't legal.  The definition of Movie Block from the old official online game was:

Movie Block
Movie Block format uses cards from sets 1-10 (all of the 'movie' blocks plus Reflections) and a King-block legal. You may not include cards from the Standard Exclusion List prior to the release of Shadows (you can use the Deck Validation option in your Deck Builder for a list of these cards).

Sets 1-10 makes it clear.  The rule with promos in ANY format is that the promos must be of cards that are already legal to that format.

For anecdotal evidence - I played from sets 1-14, and I received my Black Rider promos from Kyle Heuer himself on the Black Rider tour, and he made it very clear at each stop that they were NOT legal until that card was actually released in an actual set (which didn't happen until set 12, which is not part of Movie Block).  You can also look at the decklists all through 2004 when Threat Nazgul was huge - none of them include Black Rider (who would have obviously made the deck even better) even though the promo had come out the prior year.

April 07, 2013, 02:03:23 AM
Reply #8

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 02:03:23 AM »

Now, I realize my post sounded so similar to the ones you've been writing lately, you simply couldn't help but comment, but in the end, once again, I'm pretty sure your response is not from a rulebook or CRD from that time.  I'm thinking it's quite possibly more Bib opinion stated as fact though, and that's why I keep coming back here.  I can't get enough of it.  Seriously, picture Christmastime in a purple lollipop house, surrounded by singing, dancing farm animals.  That's how awesome your posts are to me, Bib.

Now, a better response might have been posting fact stated as fact.  Decipher said, "While this card will not be tournament legal until its actual release, it is sure to see plenty of activity in casual-play and non-sanctioned tournament decks!"  Thank goodness the Movie Block in Gemp is as casual and non-sanctioned as you can get!   ;)

April 08, 2013, 12:51:14 PM
Reply #9

Galdor420

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »
^ this. It's kind of depressing that a lot of the people on this board seem to think that any deck you play with that is meant to conform to a format (ie. Movie) Must be tournament legal. There are no more tournaments. X-list and all the other tournament specific rules like them don't matter to anyone anymore. Use site from 1-10 if you want, use promos, #$&*@!! use a Gandalf ringbearer if you want to as long as your friends are cool with it.  Play with your cards, make fun decks and enjoy them. Don't let any random internet trolls tell you that you can't. Decipher is gone and the cards are yours to do with as you like... Just have fun

April 08, 2013, 02:10:53 PM
Reply #10

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
Thank goodness the Movie Block in Gemp is as casual and non-sanctioned as you can get!   ;)

Yet if you try to include Black Rider in your deck in movie block and play a game you will get a deck-building error.

Nobody is saying that you shouldn't play with whatever cards you want with your friends, around your kitchen table, etc.  But, there are defined formats on GEMP so people do need to be aware if certain cards are not legal in those formats.  It would be awesome if there were a "Kitchen Table" format in GEMP where you could set up your own rules for what cards are legal and how the site path is played, but that isn't an option at the moment so the only casual games you can play on GEMP are in the formats that have been predefined.

April 08, 2013, 07:37:16 PM
Reply #11

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »
Andrewgeddon, I'd say that if possible, keep your deck Fellowship Block, and if your friend doesn't have one, make him/her build one.  Then return the favor by building a new Movie one.  I don't think your Nazzies will be quite as fun or pack the same punch in Movie, and Fellowship Block is just too much fun to not play regularly, but if you think I'm dumb and need to shut up and go away and stop starting stupid arguments in your thread, I understand.  Some fun Movie 'wraith cards to look at (but not necessarily use) are Fell Beast and the rings (Ring of Asperity, Ring of Ire, and Ring of Rancor).

Also, welcome to the site!

Yet if you try to include Black Rider in your deck in movie block and play a game you will get a deck-building error.

Nobody is saying that you shouldn't play with whatever cards you want with your friends, around your kitchen table, etc.  But, there are defined formats on GEMP so people do need to be aware if certain cards are not legal in those formats.  It would be awesome if there were a "Kitchen Table" format in GEMP where you could set up your own rules for what cards are legal and how the site path is played, but that isn't an option at the moment so the only casual games you can play on GEMP are in the formats that have been predefined.

The line you quoted wasn't intended to be taken too seriously (thus the wink), but Galdor has a point.  Some people here get so worked up, argumentative, and/or unpleasant over a freaking dead card game, of all things.

The OP didn't say anything about GEMP.  It's pretty clear he isn't playing it.  I appreciate GEMP and all the work that went into it, but it's not the only way, the best way, or the most accurate way to play the game.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:49:13 PM by Zurcamos »

April 08, 2013, 08:57:38 PM
Reply #12

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
Random bugs aside, Gemp is the most accurate way to play the game, because it enforces all the rules and does all calculations automatically.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

April 09, 2013, 08:17:35 AM
Reply #13

Galdor420

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
I'm gonna have to disagree with the "Gemp is the most accurate way to play the game" statement. Gemp was not developed by Decipher. Being a developer myself I know GEMP (and applications like it) are subject to the rules interpretations of the developers who made the application itself and they might not have interpreted the rules in all situations the way Decipher intended them. The GEMP devs didn't work for Decipher, so why would you trust their opinions implicitly? I personally haven't used GEMP but from what I hear Everyone Knows (9R50) is a good example of a misinterpretation in GEMP.