LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Aragorn pumped by tokens  (Read 7255 times)

January 28, 2014, 06:33:19 AM
Read 7255 times

Thorondir

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • Fell deeds awake!
Aragorn pumped by tokens
« on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:19 AM »
Hey, guys, this is a new deck I'm working on. I tought about a super machine Aragorn pumped by tokens, but still have some doubts. Big problem is condition discarding. I don't know what to do to avoid it. Let me use some advice. Oh, keep in mind this fellowship should not be bigger than 33 cards and it's a real life deck, so no Gandalf, Returned for me. And it is important for me to have something to liberate sites since my shadow will aim to control them.

1x Gimli, Son of Gloin
1x Legolas, Elven Comrade

3x Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples
2x Rohirrim Recruit
1x Éomer, Eored Captain
1x Éowyn, Restless Warrior

1x Gimli's Battle Axe, Vicious Weapon
1x Asfaloth, Swift Blossom
1x Legolas' Sword
1x Strands of Elven Hair
1x Brego, Loyal Steed
1x Flaming Brand
1x Firefoot, Mearas of the Mark
1x Ring of Retribution
1x Anduril, King's Blade
1x Ring of Barahir

1x My Axe Is Notched
1x Stout and Strong
1x Agility
1x Final Count
1x Uncertain Future
1x A Path Appointed
1x Help in Doubt and Need
1x Ithilien Trap
1x Fell Deeds Awake
1x Fortress Never Fallen
1x We Left None Alive

I feel like I should have some skirmish events, also.
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red dawn!

January 29, 2014, 09:08:55 AM
Reply #1

TheBirdMan

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Re: Aragorn pumped by tokens
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:55 AM »
First off, what format are you playing?

Have you thought about sites yet?  I would assume that you're starting Legolas and Gimli, bidding to go first and using The Riddermark to get him out right off the bat.  If you're playing Expanded where that sight isn't an option, I would suggest Barazinbar to get Gimli's axe out.

Looking at your setup, it seems like you shouldn't need too many events.  Once you get your tokens rolling, that shouldn't be a problem, and while events might  help you get there, adding a mill card like Delving would probably be better to get cards out, especially since you can heal Gimli for your trouble anyway.

If anything, add some elvish events to boost Legolas, since he seems like the one who'd be needing it the most, and you need him to be good to get those elvish tokens out so Aragorn can wreck people.  Valor is good.

Also, while Gimli, Son of Gloin is tempting, since you'll be able to heal the exertion, it seems like  Gimli, Unbidden Guest would be better, since it lets you boost Legolas and get some elf tokens out on Final count.  Legolas is already boosting Gimli to get dwarf tokens, so it makes sense to return the favor, especially when Final Count and My Axe is Notched compliment each other so well.  Also, you'll still be able to heal Gimli.

You may also want to consider adding Endurance of Dwarves to this deck, since getting an extra health on Gimli would be clutch to use his exertions.  This does fall prey to condition removal, though.

As for condition removal, Defending the Keep is a great way to bring back your dwarf conditions, and, if you're at sight nine and don't need to worry about bringing one back, you can use it to draw a card and grab something good.

Love the deck idea.  Wish I owned the cards to run something like it.

January 29, 2014, 12:45:45 PM
Reply #2

Thorondir

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • Fell deeds awake!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:45:45 PM »
Hey, TheBirdMan, thank you very much for your time!

Yes, I'll play it Expanded -- that's the only format folks play in real life here, I don't know why. Anyway, this fellowship gotta be very small, no more than 33 cards, like I said, because I'm running Dunlendings for shadow and I have no way to pull Aragorn from the deck. I must trust those three copies will come in time.

Delving is a good card indeed, specially if Aragorn doesn't come early. I'll try it out. I agree Legolas is the one who should use more events, but I tought he won't be a warrior. I mean, Aragorn will take the tough guys, Gimli can be pretty awesome and there's also Éomer. I need Legolas to add those elven tolkiens so Aragorn can take anyone out. Valor is good, but I really think there's gonna be no space for skirmish events.

I'm not that sure about Gimli, Unbidden. This is something I must be certain of. Son of Gloin can be such a tough dwarf... specially if I find room to add those Endurance of Dwarves.

I still have no idea of protection against Saruman's Power. You told me about Defendind the Keep, but what worry me most are the elvish tokens. They're the key, not the dwarven or rohirrim ones... I tought about Gandalf, Wise Guide, but there's little point on adding a single card to avoid some condition discarding.

I'll keep up, so we can build this together.

January 29, 2014, 04:48:26 PM
Reply #3

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »
The best Legolas/Gimli combo for a token deck is Archer of Mirkwood/Unbidden Guest. Gimli exerts to pump Legolas, then Legolas heals Gimli when he wins. Quite efficient.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

January 30, 2014, 06:32:27 AM
Reply #4

TheBirdMan

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:32:27 AM »
Legolas Archer of Mirkwood is definitely a good card, and it actually may be a good way to free up some space in your deck, since you'll be healing Gimli without the need for tokens (which can be taken away with Saruman's power).  This way you also have the option to take out some of the dwarf cards that stack tokens in favor of some elvish ones, boosting Aragorn even further, or site liberation (which you had said you wanted to help your minions).  At this point, site liberation seems a bit ambitious, but it's a possibility. 

Maybe cut Stout and Strong in favor of an Elvish card.  Also, as good as Ithilien trap is against Nazgul, warg-riders and raiders, I don't think it will help you against Saruman's power, since Saruman's power is a Shadow event and Ithilien Trap doesn't take effect until the Maneuver phase.  Maybe you could trim that in favor of another elvish card, like Naith Longbow, to boost Legolas. 

Another possibility is instead of making Aragorn the focus for skirmish strength, you could make Gimli the focus, trimming some elven cards in favor of dwarf ones (like Hand Axe), and going back to Gimli, son of Gloin and Legolas, Elven Comrade.  This still leaves Aragorn as a potential threat especially if you have flaming brand and Anduril on him, but also crucial for support, since you're able to heal Gimli.  Just some thoughts.  I'll wait for bibfortuna25 to weigh in again, since he probably knows a good way around Saruman's power.

Also, I have a dedicated group that  I play with in real life, and I guess we play expanded as well, although it's a bit of a "house rules" expanded...Best of luck!

January 30, 2014, 11:33:45 AM
Reply #5

Thorondir

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • Fell deeds awake!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:45 AM »
Legolas, Archer of Mirkwood is a very good option, sure. Thanks bibfortuna.

Ithilien Trap isn't there for Saruman's Power, it is because of the tokens. I need some gondor token so I can heal Aragorn with Ring of Barahir. But I only need one.

I don't know, I guess I'll just have to take the risks. There is no deck with no weakness point.

February 13, 2014, 08:06:13 AM
Reply #6

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 08:06:13 AM »
Wise Guide can protect your conditions from Saruman's Power.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

February 16, 2014, 09:07:37 AM
Reply #7

Thorondir

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • Fell deeds awake!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:07:37 AM »
Yeah, sgt, I mentioned it earlier, but there's little point because I have only a single copy of that card. But I guess it's my best option.

February 17, 2014, 11:24:39 AM
Reply #8

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »

February 17, 2014, 02:33:09 PM
Reply #9

Thorondir

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • Fell deeds awake!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »
Do you think it's a good idea? Like 5 cards to play Gandalf. I'm afraid of a giant clog. Well, I must test. :^)

February 17, 2014, 03:29:34 PM
Reply #10

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Not all who wander are lost
    • My Blog: The Archives of Minas Tirith
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »
Just so you know, you can play A Wizard is Never Late even if there are no [Gandalf] culture characters in your draw deck. In other words, it shouldn't clog too badly.

February 17, 2014, 03:48:56 PM
Reply #11

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Yep. And since keeping those conditions is key to your deck strategy, I think it's pretty important that you protect them by any means you can.