LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Editing the Wiki  (Read 2826 times)

February 18, 2014, 05:56:19 PM
Read 2826 times

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Not all who wander are lost
    • My Blog: The Archives of Minas Tirith
Editing the Wiki
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »
Maybe I'm just wiki-illiterate, but how does one actually edit strategy/strengths/weaknesses/matchups/decks on individual card pages? When I click the edit button at the top left, it shows me a me a text box with the card image and set/legality info in wiki code, but nothing for the aforementioned strategy related info. I have met the minimum 25 forum post count. Is there some other prerequisite I'm unaware of? I'd like to start contributing a little more around here when time allows. Thanks for any information anyone can provide me.

April 11, 2014, 10:11:39 AM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Re: Editing the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
Hmmm, I racked my brain for a while trying to find what was missing, and then I stumbled upon Kralik's last edit to the wiki code which might have broken things a bit.  Been a while since we did any house cleaning.

Looking around, it looks like the strategy sections for each card are on their own separate pages, but there is code on those strategy pages that redirects you back to the card's page, so you can't navigate to the right place to edit it.  For instance, if you look at 1C2 at the bottom of the card page, you see the line
Code: [Select]
{{page>:lotr01002wiki}}
which is where the actual strategy page is, but is unfortunately unreachable. 

I'll send something Kralik's way, see if we can awaken the coding beast once more.  Sorry for the long wait in response; The Last Homely House certainly is last in all things, it seems.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 11, 2014, 03:23:08 PM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:23:08 PM »
Actually, I found what you need, though it's a bit more work that one would like.

First, go to the card page that you want to edit the strategy part on.  Then, copy this code to the end of the URL:

Code: [Select]
wiki?redirect=no
Hit enter, and it will allow you to see the "bottom half" of the strategy parts.  Edit this area and it will be reflected in the actual factual card page.

For instance, if you wanted to modify the strategy/usage area of 1C2, you would navigate to http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/lotr01002wiki?redirect=no.  Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

April 11, 2014, 04:43:59 PM
Reply #3

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Not all who wander are lost
    • My Blog: The Archives of Minas Tirith
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
Awesome! Thanks, TelTura! And no problem about the wait... I completely understand. I'll begin working on these things in my spare time now.

July 03, 2014, 06:13:23 PM
Reply #4

Kralik

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
Hmm, I'll look into this. Been ages since I messed with the wiki code though... AFAIK it used to work!

July 03, 2014, 06:22:37 PM
Reply #5

Kralik

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
Alright, I just tried this again and realized that I get the "Command disabled: source" error if I'm not logged in. If I log in, I can edit without any further ado (including no need to manually change the URL). Can anyone else verify that this works?

EDIT: Oh. Scratch that. I see the problem now. I am 90% sure this used to work properly... the base card info should not be editable at all.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:27:40 PM by Kralik »

July 03, 2014, 06:55:13 PM
Reply #6

Kralik

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
Alright, it's fiiiiiixed! It took me a while to find my old code/hack ... in the end, it turns out that it relied on the base card information being set read-only to redirect to the strategy page. For some reason the file permissions were wrong. I don't know when this changed. Incidentally, the indexes are supposed to be static as well. :P

July 03, 2014, 07:01:10 PM
Reply #7

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 07:01:10 PM »
I see, so now we're back to being able to modify the card strat but not card info.  Is that something you need site access to change?  I've found several typos in the card info that I fix as I find them, but now that's not possible.

Heh, and that really does sound like a hack. 

July 03, 2014, 07:17:08 PM
Reply #8

Kralik

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »
I see, so now we're back to being able to modify the card strat but not card info.  Is that something you need site access to change?  I've found several typos in the card info that I fix as I find them, but now that's not possible.

Heh, and that really does sound like a hack. 

Maybe just PM me? There used to be a thread about it but I haven't checked it for a while.

Ideally all those typos should have been ironed out years ago... :roll:

July 03, 2014, 07:21:06 PM
Reply #9

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 07:21:06 PM »
It's something that I think most people wouldn't see.  Every so often I do a bunch of analysis and so have to be very aware of the way things are spelled and check and re-check all my data (which originally came from that spreadsheet of yours), so I catch a lot of things most people wouldn't even look at.

At any rate, yeah, I'll just kick you a message if I find any more from this point forward.

September 20, 2014, 08:31:19 AM
Reply #10

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • ^This guy is actually Hamlet.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 08:31:19 AM »
Some of you people are lousy spellers...

Anyway, is there a way to view all cards that have an actual article them so that you don't have to search through every single card looking for typos?
"Alas, poor Yorrick. I knew him, Horatio."

September 20, 2014, 12:11:59 PM
Reply #11

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
Well, the inverse exists: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/todo shows what pages have yet to be edited.

September 20, 2014, 01:32:22 PM
Reply #12

ANGRY

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • ^This guy is actually Hamlet.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »
Hmm. I am not knowledgeable enough about the game to write about strategic value of cards, I just want to edit/spellcheck. Thanks!
"Alas, poor Yorrick. I knew him, Horatio."