LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Newbro Article Submission  (Read 4011 times)

July 23, 2015, 02:24:30 AM
Reply #15

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Newbro Article Submission
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 02:24:30 AM »
The One Ring, The Great Ring:

General Strategy:
The One Ring, The Great Ring is one of the most popular one rings in expanded. Its ability to add burdens at will to prevent overwhelm is incredibly powerful, and makes the ring-bearer much more difficult to kill, especially when combined with burden removal or high resistance. It also can be put on for no cost, which makes it one of the most efficient one rings in terms of wound-to-burden ratio. It's equipped during the maneuver phase, so it is vulnerable to regroup and pre-maneuver wounds. The biggest danger to this One Ring is Cavern Entrance; be sure to have some site manipulation if you're dependant on this ring to prevent that site from being played. Strong burden removal is also desirable if you're using this One Ring often, some examples are Golden Perch Ale, Sting, Weapon of Heritage, Shadowfax, GotM, Watch and Wait, Home and Hearth and Songs of the Blessed Realm.

Strengths and Weaknesses

Strong versus...
* Swarm
* Corruption (If you packed burden removal)
* Archery
* Large Minions

Weak versus...
* Cavern Entrance
* Doorway to Doom and Little Snuffler
* [Isengard] Warg-Riders
* High damage minions
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 23, 2015, 10:25:18 AM
Reply #16

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 10:25:18 AM »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

July 24, 2015, 02:00:18 AM
Reply #17

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 02:00:18 AM »
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

General Strategy:

The One Ring, TRoR is one of the most popular rings in Expanded format, along with The Great Ring. It's also useable in the earlier post-movie formats, being from set 11, and is often the best one ring for Alternate Ring-bearers. This Ring could be described as the safest one ring to use; it turns every wound into a single burden, can be equipped at any time, and provides extra resistance for the ring-bearer. Its only shortcoming is the lack of any other beneficial stats or ability. Ring-bearers that benefit a lot from this ring are Gandalf, BoO; Boromir, BoC and possibly Sméagol, BoGS as he often adds burdens to trigger his effects. However, all the alternate Ring-bearers (Save possibly Sam, BoGN; Bilbo, BoTB and Galadriel, BoW) can benefit a lot from this Ring.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

Strong versus...
* Corruption
* Wounding
* Archery

Weak versus...
* Swarm
* Beatdown
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 24, 2015, 12:29:00 PM
Reply #18

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

July 25, 2015, 01:43:14 AM
Reply #19

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 01:43:14 AM »
The One Ring, the Ring of Doom

General Strategy:
This version of the One Ring is strikingly similar to ATAR, the only difference being that it gives Hunter 3 instead of strength + 2. Against most minions, Hunter 3 = Strength + 3 making this a better ring. However against hunters it will merely remove the hunter bonus of the minion skirmishing the Ring-Bearer, which is less useful than ATAR's ability. For the most part, hunters are rare in expanded, so this ring obsoletes ATAR somewhat. However, if the meta changes to many hunter minion decks, ATAR might start to see more play again.

Even bearing the above in mind, The Great Ring's ability to add burdens for strength at will makes it more popular than this ring. The advantage of this ring is the 2 extra vitality it provides, which is useful for Ring-Bearers that might need to exert (Or wound themselves) to trigger effects, such as Faramir, BoQ.

Strengths and Weaknesses

Strong versus...
* Wounding
* Archery

Weak versus...
* Swarm
* Corruption

July 25, 2015, 03:19:09 PM
Reply #20

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »
The Ring of Doom is also used to have more hunters to spot/exert, for cards like Forth the Three Hunters with Gimli BoG.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

July 25, 2015, 03:41:40 PM
Reply #21

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
Posted.  I added a line to that effect for the hunter spotting, but didn't call out those cards by name.  Feel free to edit it if you can find a way to make it flow.

July 26, 2015, 05:15:57 AM
Reply #22

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 05:15:57 AM »
I guess this'll be my last post in this thread, as one further post will mean I can edit directly? Thanks again for the help Teltura, I'm really glad I found this thread, as many of my recent posts have been here. Coincidentally, I believe this is the last rare one ring to review as well:

The One Ring, The Binding Ring

General Strategy:
The One Ring, The Binding Ring, is probably the most obscure One Ring ever released. Unlike all other rings, it has the independant ability unrelated to the Ring-Bearer of playing rings from your draw deck. This is useful in any deck that has a lot of rings, such as dwarves, or rings that are required at a specific time, such as Narya and Vilya. As such, TBR is effective against several Shadow strategies, depending on which rings you play from deck.

In terms of its regular ability, the fact that it requires an exertion to equip is also unique, and quite dangerous, as an exhausted Ring-Bearer cannot use this ring to turn wounds into burdens. On the other hand, it has a good wound-to-burden ratio and gives extra strength and vitality.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

Strong versus...
* Archery
* Condition-Dependant decks (With Vilya)
* Corruption (With Narya)
* Wounding (With Nenya, RoA or Ring of Barahir)
* Beatdown (With Dwarven Rings)

Weak versus...
* Gollum, Dark as Darkness
* Doorway to Doom and Little Snuffler
* Corruption (If overused)
* [Isengard] Orcs
* Ring-Bearer Hate

EDIT: I hit 25 posts, so if you like I can just add the above in and save you the trouble. I had a go at editing the Prancing Pony, 1U324, if you get a free moment could you check I did everything correctly before I go edit any more pages?

EDIT: Added Ring of Barahir, as proposed by Durin's Heir
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:14:28 PM by Dictionary »

July 26, 2015, 03:00:07 PM
Reply #23

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
In "Strong versus... Wounding", add the Ring of Barahir for Aragorn.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

July 26, 2015, 08:41:23 PM
Reply #24

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 08:41:23 PM »
Posted, easily your best article yet!  Your Prancing Pony article is just fine, just the sort of thing we needed for more cards. 

It seems that Kralik is out of disc space and it's causing the recent changes page to fail to record the most recent changes, so for instance all but one of the articles you've posted in this thread here do not show up on that page.  This means tracking changes is difficult, so we can't offer advice so easily as you continue to post new articles.  For that reason, I would advise posting here or perhaps in the article feedback thread for each article that you edit/add for now (barring minor edits). 

Congratulations on your progress, and welcome to the wiki team! I'm glad that this little thread was able to fulfil its purpose for at least one individual.

July 27, 2015, 03:46:39 AM
Reply #25

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 03:46:39 AM »
Thank you! I'll post every update I do here then, unless you'd prefer the article feedback thread. I think it is better to have people proof-reading anyway, it means more ideas and fewer mistakes.

Goblin Armory:

General Strategy:
Goblin Armory is the probably the most potent and most iconic card of the moria culture. With the ability to add twilight whenever a weapon is played (Which stacks with each copy) this card is a powerful tool in swarm decks; with 4 copies, each Goblin Scimitar adds 4 twilight and draws a card, easily allowing you to play even more minions or just use the extra cards with They Are Coming for more minions. Relics of Moria, which costs twilight to use, will end up making twilight with 3 or more Armories in play. Goblin Scavengers are also great value because they play a weapon from discard, making more twilight.

It was most likely the advent of this card that resulted in most players packing heavy condition discard in their decks. If you don't have a counter to this card in your deck, expect to be hit very hard and try to aim for a shadow win, as most fellowships fall quickly if they are not able to deal with this card.

In addition to its twilight adding potential, this card can also be discarded to prevent wounds, in a pinch. It's inadvisable to do this except when absolutely necessary, as, once discarded, it's impossible to get this card back in Fellowship Block. When you are trying to swarm Frodo (Particularly at site 9, when you no longer need the twilight) and your opponent perhaps uses PATHS would be the best time to trigger this.

Note that in Movie Block, Host of Moria, LoTU can play this card from your discard pile, making it even more effective.

An alternate strategy with this card is use it with Moria Axe rather than Goblin Scimitar in a Moria Beatdown deck. Moria Axe is one of the most powerful pre-shadows weapons ever released, and adding twilight with it allows you to play more large minions. You could also use scimitars, but with the purpose of playing the Cave Troll of Moria, SotBP rather than swarming. Bear in mind that Cave Troll's Hammer, The Balrog's Sword and Whip of Many Thongs also trigger this card.

If you're playing against this card, common counters are Secret Sentinels, Sleep Caradhras (Or Deep in Thought), Betrayal of Isengard, Song of Durin and Bilbo Baggins, Well-Spoken Gentlehobbit. Use Song of Durin as soon as possible, otherwise it may be discarded by Goblin Warrior.

Strengths and Weaknesses

Strong versus...
* Choke
* Gondor
* Decks that neglect Frodo protection
* PATHS

Weak versus...
* Large Fellowships
* Condition discard
* Hobbit Decks, which usually have a tonne of Frodo protection cards
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:04:03 AM by Dictionary »

July 28, 2015, 07:05:51 AM
Reply #26

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »
Very comprehensive, excellently done.

I think in the interest of forum topic consistency, it's probably best to post new articles in the article feedback thread, and leave this one strictly for new posters needing to up their post count.

Also, no need to reproduce the article in a forum post, simply a link to the article in question will do.