LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: gondor rangers/wounding sauron  (Read 4961 times)

August 25, 2014, 05:47:09 PM
Read 4961 times

HalbaradDunadan

• Information Offline
  • Orc
gondor rangers/wounding sauron
« on: August 25, 2014, 05:47:09 PM »
I would like to post my deck and get improvement suggestions on it. I play against Dwarves/Sauron Trackers, Gondor/Isengard, Rohan/Nazgul, and Gondor Knights/ Threat Southrons. My deck is usually considered the most  formidable in our playing group, with the last deck listed a close second. Still, I would like some "outsider's opinions" on how to improve it.

Starting:
The one Ring, the ruling ring
Frodo-Little master, or Hope of Free peoples- depending on my opponent
Faramir, CoG
Ranger of Ithilien

Free Peoples:
Ancient Roads 1x
Athelas 2x
Boromir, my Brother 1x
Curse Them 1x
Dagger Strike 1x
Damrod, RoI 1x
Citadel of Minas Tirith 1x
Faramir's Cloak 1x
Faramirs Sword 1x
Gondor will see it done 1x
Gondorian Blade 4x
Gondorian Ranger 1x
Hobbit Stealth2x
Mablung SoG 1x
Man the Walls 3x
New errand 3x
No stranger to the shadows 2x
O elbereth Githloniel 1x
Pathfinder 2x
Ranger of Ithilien 1x
Ranger of minas Tirith 1x
Ranger's Bow 3x
Sting 1x
Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom 2x
Severed his bonds 2x
the Saga of elendel 1x
war and valor 1x

Shadow:

Orc assassin 1x
Orc Cutthroat 2x
Orc ambusher 3x
orc hunters 3x
you bring great evil4x
under the watching eye 4x
spies of modor 4x
shadow's reach 4x
orc soldier 1x
orc scouting band 4x
orc scout 4x
mordor's strength 3x
enduring evil 1x
orc runner 1x
orc insurgent 2x

Some changes I would like are: Hate +3, some orc chaser, and an orc warband or two for shadow side.For free peoples I would like to swap halbarad for Ranger of Ithilien in starters, and add Faramir's bow, IL, Ranger's cloak and Madril, DOO
                               Thanks for any and all insight~HalbaradDunadan

August 25, 2014, 05:56:46 PM
Reply #1

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
Re: gondor rangers/wounding sauron
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
The shadow side looks fun! Definitely lots of wounds being thrown out there every turn!

But....this deck looks like it might fit into and earlier format, yes?

I definitely agree with your idea of adding Hate. Having four of that card can often pull off a clutch kill of one of their key companions, because you might get two in hand at some point.

One little tip regarding the condition discard...would you mind terribly adding a couple of the rare Grimas and Saruman's Power rather than x4 Shadow's Reach? I guess if you wanted to keep your shadow conditions alive it's not bad....

Maybe using Shadow's Reach with some enduring Sauron orcs, that would give you the condition discard and a little strength boost at the same time...

August 26, 2014, 05:11:44 PM
Reply #2

HalbaradDunadan

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »
When I started using this deck, I played with 14 orc scouting parties. It was brought to my attention that I could only use four, so that put a damper on my deck some. What I am looking for are some cards to replace them, if any are practical, and something to protect my fellowship from Nazgul(high strength, difficult to force into roaming due to early site numbers) and beat-down minions.  Any more Ideas?                           Thanks~HalbaradDunadan

August 27, 2014, 06:02:07 AM
Reply #3

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:02:07 AM »
I would like to post my deck and get improvement suggestions on it. I play against Dwarves/Sauron Trackers, Gondor/Isengard, Rohan/Nazgul, and Gondor Knights/ Threat Southrons. My deck is usually considered the most  formidable in our playing group, with the last deck listed a close second. Still, I would like some "outsider's opinions" on how to improve it.

I take it this is a deck of physical cards, right? Our suggestions will depend on what cards you have access to. There are many cards from later sets that could make your deck much stronger. What sets are you working with?

No stranger to the shadows 2x

That card is on the Restricted list for Expanded Format, you are only allowed to have one copy of it in your deck.

But....this deck looks like it might fit into and earlier format, yes?

That was what I was wondering. HalbaradDunadan, is this really an Expanded deck? I noticed you didn't list a site path. We tend not to see much Ringbound Ranger stuff in Expanded these days, as there tend to be much more efficient ways of keeping minions roaming. In particular, Madril, Defender of Osgiliath.

What I am looking for are some cards to replace them, if any are practical, and something to protect my fellowship from Nazgul(high strength, difficult to force into roaming due to early site numbers) and beat-down minions.  Any more Ideas?

In Expanded, Madril, Defender of Osgiliath is by far the easiest way to make minions roaming. If you don't want to go that route, there are also things like Gondorian Merchant and Soldier's Cache. Mixing in Smeagol with Something Slimy can really help get your conditions out.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

August 27, 2014, 11:38:24 AM
Reply #4

HalbaradDunadan

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »
Yes, I play with a deck of physical cards(As opposed to digital online cards?) That does put a limit on which cards are available within a set budget. Most of the cards I have access to are from the movie block, with some from the shadows block, and practically none from later on. Is the trading on this site for electronic cards only, or is it a marketplace for trading physical cards via, for instance, mail? Also, what does my deck qualify as if not expanded? Thanks~HalbaradDunadan

August 27, 2014, 11:52:55 AM
Reply #5

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »
Yes, I play with a deck of physical cards(As opposed to digital online cards?) That does put a limit on which cards are available within a set budget. Most of the cards I have access to are from the movie block, with some from the shadows block, and practically none from later on.

I understand.

Is the trading on this site for electronic cards only,

As far as I know, there is no trading for electronic cards. The official LOTR Online no longer exists. The best place to play LOTRTCG online these days (for free) is:

http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/

...but there is no trading of electronic cards between players. You can collect cards in your "My Cards" collection via virtual booster packs, but you can't trade them to other players. That site is a great way to explore what cards are out there that might help your deck, btw. You could recreate your physical deck electronically and try it out with various cards you don't yet own, to see which cards might be worth buying. In casual play using "All Cards" you have access to as many copies as you want of any card ever made, for free.

or is it a marketplace for trading physical cards via, for instance, mail?

There is some trading on this forum for physical cards. In my experience, the best way these days to get a single you really need, is to look for it on ebay.

Also, what does my deck qualify as if not expanded? Thanks~HalbaradDunadan

Like you said at the start of your post, most likely your deck qualifies as legal for Movie Block Format. If you are using a King Block site path, then your deck is most likely built for Movie Block Format. There are tabs on the gemp-lotr site that will tell you what cards are legal for each format, or once you recreate your deck in the gemp-lotr Deck Builder, the Deck Builder will tell you which formats your deck is legal for.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

August 28, 2014, 03:09:20 PM
Reply #6

HalbaradDunadan

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
I have sites for fellowship-return of the king, though the fellowship sites are the most ranger oriented. Would my deck still qualify as 'Movie' if I keep the gondorian blades?(deck 11) and frodo, little master? (18) thanks HalbaradDunadan

August 28, 2014, 03:49:28 PM
Reply #7

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
Technically no.  However, Sword of Gondor is nearly as good as Gondorian Blade (If they aren't roaming, you aren't winning skirmishes anyway to take advantage of the damage +1).  Personally I do not use RBRs outside of Towers Block, so I cannot really comment there.  As for the shadow, Orc Bowmen is better than Spies of Mordor.  However it is rare, along with Grishnakh, Orc Captain who is also very good.  Personally I prefer Orc Patrol to discard conditions.  He also really helps that roaming issue.  I do find Orc Hunters a little underwhelming.  He's just too easy to wound or exert, especially with mounts.

If you're going movie, add at least 1 (probably 2) Terrible As the DawnGLR destroys you otherwise.  If not, I'd Make You Squeak can be fun.  Dead Marshes revives conditions which is good.