LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Next Updates for the Hobbit Draft Game  (Read 271055 times)

October 29, 2015, 09:19:47 PM
Reply #270

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
Re: Next Updates for the Hobbit Draft Game
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »
Nazguls

I like the distribution in groups of 3x Nazgul for the same function. "Fighters", "grinders" and "gatherers" we might call them...

- Dol Guldur Blade: Ok for the wound prevention, it's a very clever solution. That makes it more useful with small, low vitality Nazguls.

- Witch King, Attea & Toldea: These 3 "fighters" are ok, but I found a small problem. The twilight reduction says "if you spot an Orc", an optional action; optional actions are usually written this way: "When you play this minion, you can spot an Orc to make its twilight cost -3". You can make it obligatory by adding the word "can": "...if you can spot an Orc". In both cases the lines used should be 2.

- Ulaire Enquea: I like Enquea's skill, it's like William the Troll punishing followers. Anyway, there are 2 points that worry me a lot:
1. Doesn't specify from where or to where the follower is transferred. So works also at the end of the turn when followers return to support area. You can punish the FP player twice: once at maneuver, and once again at the end of the turn (if you still have Orcs, of if Hidden Attack provides new ones). So it must specify "transfers a follower to a companion", or "to a character" (I like this one more, 'cause we might at some point make FP followers that can transfer to allies or minions).

2. It's a Response action. So can be repeated with the same trigger, as far as you can still pay the cost. AND the cost is too flexible, returning a virtually limitless number of Orcs in play. Thus, if 1 follower is transferred and you have (let's say) 4 Orcs in play, you'd inflict 4 direct exertions (or 8 if there's 6 comps). Unlikely William, who works only once per trigger. Usually Nazguls work according to their vitality, which isn't the case here. I see 3 options by the moment:
     2.1 "Response: If... transfers a follower to a character, exert Ulaire Enquea and return an Orc to your hand...". Enquea provides a limit of 3 times, due to his vitality of 4. You can trigger all 3 exertions at once if a single follower is transferred (having 3 or more Orcs). Still extremely powerful: besides many direct exertions, can also trigger Cantea and Nelya at their maximum (twice) with 2 Orcs and only 1 follower.
     2.2 "Each time the FP player transfers a follower to a character, you may return an Orc to your hand to exert...". Only once per transference, and is limited to the number of followers the FP player transfers (to a character, and not back to support area). Like William. Enquea doesn't use his vitality.
     2.3 "Each time the FP player transfers a follower to a character, you may exert Ulaire Enquea OR return an Orc to your hand...". Only once per transference. More versatile and powerful. Can work returning Orcs, or exerting Enquea. Useful is there's no Orc to return (unlike Ostea, Lemenya & Nertea, you can't play Orcs in maneuver so you won't recycle the same Orc over and over again).

I believe it must be an "each time" and not a Response action. Those are mighty direct exertion (besides triggering Cantea and Nelya). I like 2.3, because you can't (re)play Orcs at maneuver so you have to rely on what you have on the board, if there's no Orc you still have Enquea's vitality. That way, Enquea's sole presence will frighten the FP player from transferring (too many) followers.

- Ulaire Cantea: Nice. Limited to Cantea's 3 vitality, instead of Enquea's 4. :up: If playtesting proves it too powerful, reduce "exhaust" to "exert up to 2 times", to let an unwounded Elrond/Saruman/Radagast/Thranduil/Elf Army/Esgaroth Volunteers with 1 spare vitality.

- Ulaire Nelya: Hmmm, I fear this might be too much. With Sauron assigning any strength 1 (or +) minion to overwhelm a strength 0 Galadriel, or any strength 8 or + to Radagast/Saruman/Gandalf/Elrond... I'd change it to make a single Wise character strength -2. Or each Wise character -1. But the idea is good, just needs an adjustment. Perhaps an alternative cost, "the Free Peoples player may... to prevent that".

- Ostea, Lemenya & Nertea: These are good as they are. :up: Otsea can be worded a bit differently. Instead of stating "where X is the number of [Wraith] minions you spot" at the end of the text, you can incorporate to the start: "Exert Ulaire Otsea twice, return an Orc to your hand and spot X [Wraith] minions" to draw X cards and add [X]. Lemenya is also better getting you a Nazgul from discard.

That's all regarding the Nazguls. I owe you the new supplementary pack (I have to add Shadow cards and 1 site) and the Shadow Arkenstone.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:50:25 AM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

October 30, 2015, 01:51:45 AM
Reply #271

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2015, 01:51:45 AM »
Argh, the Nazguls changed. You comment the previous version of the Nazguls.

See there:

http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Next_Updates3.html

and there:

http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Boosters2.html

After many tests, I decided to change the Nazguls: it was too complicated and unsteady to return an Orc in hand then play a Nazgul, ......

Sorry for the time you spent with the previous version :(.
Hobbit Draft Game : http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr

October 31, 2015, 02:18:29 PM
Reply #272

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2015, 02:18:29 PM »
Argh, the Nazguls changed. You comment the previous version of the Nazguls.

...Sorry for the time you spent with the previous version :(.
I'll be posting about those soon. No problem, I had fun analizing them and will surely have fun analizing the new ones ;).

Here are the FP cards of the supplementary pack I promised. I lack the Shadow cards, those probably will be related to Smaug. And the site too... but FP is what I have, and what I post here.

"The Quest of Erebor" Thematic Pack

The idea behind this pack is to portray the conspiration that preceeded the Quest and the subsequent Journey through the wild lands. Such a pack must contain tricks to assemble the Quest, and to survive the long Journey. Draw cards and return discarded things, heal the group, reduce exertion and twilight costs, some strength aids...

With these cycling and recycling cards, you'll be able to build bigger decks with more resources to confront different situations. Unlike all previous packs, this pack doesn't provide any follower or ally. The Company relies on itself alone.

- Dwarven Cloak. [Dwarven] Possession • Cloak
- Dwarven Shovel. [Dwarven] Possession • Hand Weapon
- Dwarven Thirst. [Dwarven] Event
- Never Forgave, Never Forgot. [Dwarven] Event
- A Chance Meeting. [Gandalf] Event
- Also A Took. [Shire] Event

(0) Dwarven Cloak [Dwarven]

Possession • Cloak
Bearer must be a [Dwarven] companion or Bilbo.
The twilight cost of each [Dwarven] event is -1.
Response: If bearer is about to exert, discard this possession from play (or 2 [Dwarven] cards from hand) to place no token for that exertion.
"He hung his hooded cloak on the nearest peg..."

The Dwarven cloaks were important in the book, being both an implement of journey and a symbol of it. A cloak makes any travel easier by reducing the impact of weather and terrain (here represented by conditions like Stone Giants and Enchanted River, which exert the Dwarves), saving stamina during long marches; also helps to hide bearer's identity. So it should help against twilight and exertions.

The skills of this card are opposed. Both require to discard/play [Dwarven] cards from hand, so unusually you'll have plenty to abuse one or use both. The "Strength of Spirit" Response action is powerful but must be used selectively due to its high cost (Ori and Óin also consume [Dwarven] cards). Some Dwarves like Gloin, Fili and Kili will rejoice with it, but can also protect an important Dwarf or Bilbo from exertions caused by sites or Shadow players (like Azog the Defiler or Sauron).

[1] Dwarven Shovel [Dwarven]

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Bearer must be a [Dwarven] companion.
This weapon may be borne in addition to 1 other hand weapon.
Fellowship: Discard a [Dwarven] card from hand and exert bearer to draw 3 cards.
"'We're making a long-term deposit!'"

Card drawing was a staple of the [Dwarven] culture in LOTR TCG, and here there is only Ori (but too late to play those followers / companions / possessions). So I made this Hand Axe with a built-in Delving special ability to cover that absense. As a weapon you can play it from draw deck at site 2, and then use it to set up much faster.

[1] Dwarven Thirst [Dwarven]

Event • Fellowship
Add [X] and discard X cards from your hand to heal X [Dwarven] companions.
"'Ale on the count of three! One... Two... Up!'"

Like Hobbit Appetite, but more costly (+ [1] and discards X cards) and heals the group, not a single individual.

[2] Never Forgave, Never Forgot [Dwarven]

Event • Skirmish
Make a [Dwarven] character strength +2 and damage +1. You may exert Thorin to play a [Dwarven] follower from your discard pile or to attach a [Dwarven] follower in play to a companion (without paying its aid cost).
"'The fire was red, it flaming spread;
the trees like torches blazed with light.'"

Thorin's fierce grudge, turned into a skirmish event. Like Cleaving Blow (str+2, dmg+1) but also allows Thorin to bring back a follower ("gathering his old friends to fight Smaug") or to attach a follower in play, either attached or in support area ("encouraging them to join the fight"). This card is meant to bring teamwork. A follower transferred this way will support any companion in need, [Dwarven] or not.

[1] A Chance Meeting [Gandalf]

Event • Fellowship
Spot Gandalf and X Dwarves to shuffle X Free Peoples cards from your discard pile into your draw deck. You may exert Thorin to remove a doubt or to draw X cards.
"'The Dragon of Erebor is on my mind, and I do not think that he will be forgotten by the grandson of Thrór.'"

Gandalf and Thorin conspirate and bring back to light plans and schemes long in the dark. With all that drawing and discarding, you'll need a way to get some cards back. Also, Thorin can remove a doubt ("encourages his friends about the Quest") or draw cards ("gathers resources for the Quest"). This card can spot any Dwarf: companion, ally and follower.

[2] Also A Took [Shire]

Event • Maneuver or Skirmish
Stealth.
Exert Bilbo to make a companion strength +3 or to take into your hand a [Shire] card from your discard pile.
You may exert Bilbo to play this event from your discard pile.
"'It never ceases to amaze me. The courage of Hobbits.'"

Powerful but costly: if played from discard, Bilbo exerts twice. So you'll have a tool to exert him twice anytime you desperately need a) to make a companion strength +3, or b) to get back another [Shire] card, as a discarded item (like when he lost The One Ring for a moment in Mirkwood) or an event (useful when combined with Bilbo's pack). If Bilbo aids himself with this card, he'll need to either have enough spare vitality/resistance to soak the wounds from losing, or will be forced to win the skirmish; so won't be so useful against big minions with damage bonuses.

Hope you all like them. Please comment, folks!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:34:20 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

October 31, 2015, 08:21:22 PM
Reply #273

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2015, 08:21:22 PM »
Bolg's Army:

- Orkish Veteran: To force a site 1-8 (or Thrór's Throne) to be a battleground, you need to play Watchful Orc and exhaust him. Then you need this minion to use that battleground. 2 cards + [5]. If you don't play them from hand, you'll need to ditch 6 cards with Hatred Rekindled, or burn those 3 Hosts of Thousands. So it's expensive (before site 9).

But then each Gundabad Orc (except that exhausted Watchful Orc) becomes a machine gun, shooting before skirmish wounds can hinder them. Bolg and Orkish Pursuer will provide 2 arrows, and The Orc Army 3. Narzug, Yazneg, Orkish Marauder and Aggressor, each will shoot 1 arrow. So it's really powerful. A "limit +3" or so is imperatively necessary. Having 2 Orkish Veterans on the board the limit will be +6 (just like TMAYOD).

One problem was the high number of damage Thorin could make, so I change the Bow.

- Orkish Bow: Removing all possible damage bonuses destroys most FP counters to regroup wounding Orcs. [Isengard] Orcs have Trapped and Alone to protect them, but removes only the damage bonuses of weapons. Only Orcrist, Bombur and Dwarven Axe (Thorin Pack) provide extrinsical damage bonuses here. So this card should instead say "each character... loses all damage bonuses from weapons" or "from weapons and followers", to allow the intrinsic damage of Fili, Thorin, Dwalin and Glóin to do some counterweight.

[Isengard] Orcs differ from [Moria] Archery, in that skirmishes can prevent those wounds. If you block that counter, the same would be to wound during regroup than during archery with imitations of Moria Archer Troop, Goblin Archer and Archer Commander (there's no Elven Cloak, Great Shield, Shield of Boromir, Hosts of the Last Alliance... to counter massive arrows, only Bofur and Óin to heal / prevent, but at a high cost).

I know this bow can be discarded but you need to either exert Nori twice + discard a follower (added), or kill bearer but that will be almost impossible without damage bonuses. That's much worse if the Orkish Bow is borne by a durable Orc like Bolg or The Orc Army.

- Hidden Attack: -2 twilight instead of -3 seems more equilibrated. :up:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:42:28 PM by Durin's Heir »

November 01, 2015, 12:08:32 PM
Reply #274

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »
Pack I : The Quest of Erebor Pack

The idea behind this pack is to portray the conspiration that preceeded the Quest and the subsequent Journey through the wild lands. Such a pack must contain tricks to assemble the Quest, and to survive the long Journey. Draw cards and return discarded things, heal the group, reduce exertion and twilight costs, some strength aids...

I really like this multicultural pack !!! The Shadow cards will probably counter the most powerful cards of this pack.

I need some high-definition images (>1000x800) to make the cards :). Can you give me the link of such images for each card ?
Whose cards you want in 3x and in 2x ?

Possession • Cloak
Response: If bearer is about to exert, discard this possession to place no token for that exertion.

Maybe a more simple text. The cost of the response ability is a bit too complicated. Maybe a more simple cost ?

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Fellowship: Discard a [Dwarven] card from hand and exert bearer to draw 3 cards.

Ok! Really nice!

Event • Fellowship
Add [X] and discard X cards from hand to heal X [Dwarven] companions.

The effect is more close to Might of Numenor than Hobbit Appetite. But I think it's ok ^^.

Event • Skirmish
Make a [Dwarven] character strength +2 and damage +1. You may exert Thorin to attach a [Dwarven] follower from your support area to a companion (without paying its aid cost).
"'The fire was red, it flaming spread; the trees like torches blazed with light.'"

I prefer a much more simple card. And I really want that To Me! O my Kinsfolk! will be still really useful. Most of the time it's one of the last cards during a draft.

Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf and Thorin to draw X cards, X is the number of [Dwarven] companions you spot.
"'The Dragon of Erebor is on my mind, and I do not think that he will be forgotten by the grandson of Thrór.'"

I make a simpler card, we need now only Gandalf and Thorin to make great project :).

[2] Also A Took [Shire]
Event • Skirmish
Exert Bilbo to make a companion strength +3 or to take into hand a [Shire] card from your discard pile.

I think the replayability of a Free Peoples event is too strong.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:15:45 PM by -Enola- »

November 01, 2015, 12:15:04 PM
Reply #275

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2015, 12:15:04 PM »
Orkish Veteran: I don't know yet what is the best between

At site 9, each [Gundabad] Orc is an archer.

or

Archery: Exert a [Gundabad] Orc at a battleground to make the minion archery total +1 (limit +2).

I want another mass wounding way and some possibilities to counterdraft this Shadow.

Orkish Bow: Ok, but in FOTR, only Gimli is damage +1. I will test both ways (with and without removing damage from companions).

November 01, 2015, 03:35:45 PM
Reply #276

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
I really like this multicultural pack !!! The Shadow cards will probably counter the most powerful cards of this pack.
That makes me really glad :)! Those 2 shadow cards might be Smaug (the target of the conspiration), or enemies they find in the road (Goblins, Warg minions/Warg possessions, Warg-riders, Spiders, perhaps Shadow elven followers). I still don't know. Even a weather condition.

I need some high-definition images (>1000x800) to make the cards :). Can you give me the link of such images for each card ?
I'll try to upload some movie shots and post the links. Anyway, those images are only suggestions. The idea of using images was to show in a better way whay I was trying to represent.

For Dwarven Shovel, there are really few frames of Nori using it, and all are either dark and a bit blurry (so they need some photoshop work: bright, contrast, sharpness...) or the shovel is shown cut. There are also images of Fili carrying this shovel on his back, when escaping towards Rivendell. Those images are much clearer but sadly don't combine with the "long-term deposit" lore text.

Whose cards you want in 3x and in 2x ?
I still don't know which card will have 3 copies and which only 2. That's completely open to discussion.

Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf and Thorin to draw X cards, X is the number of [Dwarven] companions you spot.

I make a simpler card, we need now only Gandalf and Thorin to make great project :).
OK for the new cost, but not for the effect (Dwarven Shovel draws 3 for a sole exertion). This Pack needs a strong card to return discarded things to draw deck. Look at the Cloak, the Shovel and the Thirst: they all discard cards from hand. The Shovel also draws cards. So you'll be ditching a lot of your draw deck and when you do that, getting back discarded or used things will bring you much-needed new blood to face late-game threats. I propose this:

[2] A Chance Meeting [Gandalf]
Exert Gandalf and Thorin and spot X Dwarves to choose one: draw X cards, shuffle X cards from your discard pile into your draw deck, or remove [X].

The new twilight cost is [2]. So you can spot 3 or more Dwarves to remove twilight (paying 2 exertions). Or spot X Dwarves to draw X cards. Or return X things you used and need again (like main deck events) or things you ditched (with Ori, Oin, Shovel, Cloak or Thirst) but now are important to survive.

This card should be able to spot Dwarf followers too, they are an important part of the Company (and you rarely will have more than 3 [Dwarven] followers due to Orkish Marauder). If you want to exclude allies, that's fine, can be done by writing "spot X non-ally Dwarves" or "spot X Dwarves (except allies)". This pack doesn't have [Dwarven] allies to spot anyway. And this card can't spot Roäc (it's [Dwarven] but not a Dwarf).

Response: If bearer is about to exert, discard this possession to place no token for that exertion.

Maybe a more simple text. The cost of the response ability is a bit too complicated. Maybe a more simple cost ?
We can rewrite that response cost in a longer, more comprehensible text, but the possibility of discarding 2 [Dwarven] cards from hand is really important. The cloak must be durable instead of a "use once and destroy" tool; also discarding 2 cards from hand provides cycling, which is one of the goals of the Pack. If we include more words, like "wound token" instead of "token", the card will be much easier to understand:

"Response: If bearer is about to exert, discard this possession from play (or discard 2 [Dwarven] cards from hand) to place no wound token for that exertion."

About a simpler cost... we can make instead a simpler effect. We can change "If bearer is about to exert... to place no token for that exertion" to "Each time bearer exerts, you may... to heal bearer" which is much shorter. It would be the same (one doesn't put the wound, the other puts it and removes it immediatly). That way some comprehension is relieved, which players can invest in understanding the cost.

"Each time bearer exerts, you may discard this possession from play (or 2 [Dwarven] cards from hand) to heal bearer."

Ok! Really nice!
;D. This card's concept started as a joke about Decipher's Delving and Glóin's words at the Troll Cavern. It started as a classless possession, but a shovel is heavier, harder and sharper than a Flaming Brand, so hey, it should be a weapon ;).

The effect is more close to Might of Numenor than Hobbit Appetite. But I think it's ok ^^.
Yes, the effect is more like Might of Numenor, but the concept is based on Hobbit Appetite (Hobbits eat, Dwarves drink, Elves talk...) with the "add [X] to heal X wounds" mechanism.

Event • Skirmish
Make a [Dwarven] character strength +2 and damage +1. You may exert Thorin to attach a [Dwarven] follower from your support area to a companion (without paying its aid cost).
"'The fire was red, it flaming spread;
the trees like torches blazed with light.'"

I prefer a much more simple card. And I really want that To Me! O my Kinsfolk! will be still really useful. Most of the time it's one of the last cards during a draft.
It's totally OK to not return a discarded follower. Yes, To me! O my Kinsfolk! needs to conserve its dignity :up:. But I think this card might keep the "attach from play" thing, to pass an already attached follower like Bombur, Bifur or Dori from one fight to another (only Bofur can return to support area, like Gwaihir does). It will portray in a better way the unity and teamwork among these friends in exile.

[2] Also A Took [Shire]

I think the replayability of a Free Peoples event is too strong.
The cost of [2] and 2 Bilbo-exertions is strong too. The strength may be reduced from +3 to +2 to reduce its power. But then it's too weak if played from hand. The cost from hand can be changed from "exert Bilbo" to "spot Bilbo", and the cost from discard to from 1 exertion to exert Bilbo twice.

[2] Also A Took [Shire]
Stealth.
Spot Bilbo to make a companion strength +2 or to take into your hand a [Shire] card from your discard pile.
You may exert Bilbo twice to play this event from your discard pile.

Again, I'm glad that you liked it. I'm working on some ideas for a Site card.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:53:00 PM by Durin's Heir »

November 01, 2015, 07:36:45 PM
Reply #277

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #277 on: November 01, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
I think this site card might be good for the flavour of this Pack:

The Prancing Pony
Site 1
At the start of your fellowship phase, you may add [2] to take into your hand a [Gandalf] or [Dwarven] event from your draw deck.

The idea is to portray Gandalf & Thorin conspirating at Bree before going to Bag End, and Sauron's spies taking note. Here's another possibility, based on Isengard Ruined* of ROTK:

The Prancing Pony
Site 1
Fellowship: Spot Gandalf and Thorin to add [1]. Each player may draw a card.

Orkish Bow: Ok, but in FOTR, only Gimli is damage +1. I will test both ways (with and without removing damage from companions).
That's right, only Gimli had an intrinsic damage +1, but there were many non-weapon cards that added extrinsic damage. Dwarves had Lord of Moria, Cleaving Blow, Battle Fury and Flurry of Blows (and Let Them Come to discard Orcs). Gondor had Dagger Strike and Still Sharp. Lord of Moria is specially nasty against [Isengard] Orcs and remains on the board.

Orkish Veteran: I don't know yet what is the best between

At site 9, each [Gundabad] Orc is an archer.
or
Archery: Exert a [Gundabad] Orc at a battleground to make the minion archery total +1 (limit +2).

I want another mass wounding way and some possibilities to counterdraft this Shadow.
Frankly, I like the Archery special ability better. You can use it before site 9 if you force the site keyword, and the FP player can try to kill him at maneuver. Also gives usefulness to Watchful Orc (and to Vicious Warg too). And is a bit less vulnerable to Kili (you can make the minion archery +1 between Kili's 2 directed arrows). The "limit +2" will be a bit short at site 9 when there's no regroup phase (with 2 Orkish Veterans you will shoot only 4 arrows). I think a "limit +3" is more balanced.

Pack I : The Quest of Erebor Pack
I have a little question... What does "Pack I" mean? Hope it's the same I'm thinking ;)...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:33:55 PM by Durin's Heir »

November 02, 2015, 09:06:40 AM
Reply #278

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #278 on: November 02, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
I don't like multiple effects with "or" or even "and" :(. A card must have only one main goal.

Possession • Cloak
Response: If bearer is about to exert, discard 2 [Dwarven] cards from hand to place no token for that exertion.

I want to avoid any "or" in the cost of the effect in order to make the cards simpler to test and to use.

[2] Dwarven Shovel [Dwarven]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1

I think a cost of [2] fits better for this weapon (the shovel is heavy).
I don't know if it will be better by taking a card from discard pile rather than draw cards ? By digging, they will find something they previously used.

[2] Dwarven Thirst [Dwarven]
Event • Fellowship
Discard X Free Peoples cards from hand to heal X [Dwarven] companions.

I prefer a simpler card with a fixed cost [2] and without "and" in the cost of the effect.

Event • Skirmish
"'The fire was red, it flaming spread; the trees like torches blazed with light.'"

Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf and Thorin to reveal the top 10 cards of you draw deck. Take 1 Shadow card and 1 Free Peoples card revealed. Shuffle your draw deck.

This card has to be played at the beginning of the quest (Gandalf and Thorin plan). So I think the effect must draw cards or look at the top of the draw deck.
Dwarven Shovel can maybe bring back cards from discard pile ?

[2] Also A Took [Shire]
Event • Skirmish
Make Bilbo strength +3. If Bilbo wins this skirmish, you may take into hand a [Shire] card from your discard pile.

Bilbo Reliable Companion becomes useless if we can play this event from discard pile.
Maybe make it a [Dwarven] card to play it with Sting ?

The Prancing Pony
Site 1
At the start of your fellowship phase, you may add [2] to take into hand a [Gandalf] event from your draw deck.

Ok for this one, but only [Gandalf] event.

November 04, 2015, 12:06:07 PM
Reply #279

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #279 on: November 04, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
The Prancing Pony
Ok for this one, but only [Gandalf] event.
I don't see the problem of pulling a specific [Dwarven] event from the start. The only problematic one might be Ancestral Knowledge (but that card works much better at the middle or late game). Anyway, [Gandalf] events are the most powerful and important (more over if we are giving A Chance Meeting such importance) so I think it's fine. :up:

Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf and Thorin to reveal the top 10 cards of you draw deck. Take 1 Shadow card and 1 Free Peoples card revealed. Shuffle your draw deck.

This card has to be played at the beginning of the quest (Gandalf and Thorin plan). So I think the effect must draw cards or look at the top of the draw deck.
Dwarven Shovel can maybe bring back cards from discard pile ?
You are right, this belongs to the beginning and The Prancing Pony can assure it'll be played at site 1. Ok for the exertions, but for such a cost the effect is too weak. It shouldn't even take into hand a Shadow card (they are conspirating against the shadows). The effect will be stronger if you put back the remaining cards in any order on the top of your deck (instead of shuffling it), that'd be representing a detailed plannification:

Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf and Thorin to look at the top 10 cards of you draw deck. You may reveal up to 2 Free Peoples card and take them into your hand. Put the rest on the top of your draw deck in any order.

So the Dwarven Shovel should bring back to deck or hand discarded stuff.

[2] Dwarven Shovel [Dwarven]
I think a cost of [2] fits better for this weapon (the shovel is heavy).
A shovel is heavier than a Flaming Brand, but much lighter than any axe and most swords. I think [1] will be ok, this weapon will be transferred many times to distribute the exertions and you'll be paying each time its twilight cost again.
I don't know if it will be better by taking a card from discard pile rather than draw cards ? By digging, they will find something they previously used.
Good point. I wanted to imitate Decipher's Delving, but your idea is better. We can try something like this:

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Bearer must be a [Dwarven] character.
Fellowship: Exert bearer to place 2 Free Peoples cards from your discard pile beneath your draw deck.

Just like Thorin, at the bottom of your deck. You'll need another card to shuffle it (like Balin or AWINL) if you want to draw them sooner.

Response: If bearer is about to exert, discard 2 [Dwarven] cards from hand to place no token for that exertion.
The idea behind discarding the cloak was to give a last resource, and to portray the Dwarves joining the Battle: "Out leapt the King under the Mountain, and his companions followed him. Hood and cloak were gone; they were in shining armour, and red light leapt from their eyes." But if only 1 cost option will remain, "discard 2 [Dwarven] cards" is fine. :up:

Event • Fellowship
Discard X Free Peoples cards from hand to heal X [Dwarven] companions.

I prefer a simpler card with a fixed cost [2] and without "and" in the cost of the effect.
Discarding only FP cards limits too much the Dwarven Cloak. If the Dwarven Shovel has a strong effect recovering discarded things it won't be a big problem, but otherwise will be necessary to change it to "discard X cards from hand".

Event • Skirmish
The "you may exert Thorin to" skill is underpowered if you can only transfer a follower that's in support area (that is, a follower that wasn't attached during maneuver). It will be useful with followers with an expensive cost (like Bofur adding a doubt or Dori exerting Bilbo, but not Bombur or Bifur as you already exert Thorin -a [Dwarven] companion- to use that skill), or with the sole [Dwarven] follower that returns to the support area (Bofur again).

[2] Also A Took [Shire]
Bilbo Reliable Companion becomes useless if we can play this event from discard pile.
Maybe make it a [Dwarven] card to play it with Sting ?
You are right about Reliable Companion. I like your idea. But what I was trying to show is Bilbo helping his companions. So I'd change it from recovering "a [Shire] card" to "a Free Peoples card" (that way you can grab a pump for a Dwarf in need). About using it with Sting, I think drawing and recycing events will allow you to use your copies of Ancestral Knowledge with more frequency. Besides, if you include my current proposal you'll be able to get Ancestral Knowledge from discard, for the next site.

[2] Also A Took [Shire]
Event • Skirmish
Make Bilbo strength +3. If Bilbo wins this skirmish, you may take into hand a Free Peoples card from your discard pile.

November 05, 2015, 02:07:19 AM
Reply #280

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #280 on: November 05, 2015, 02:07:19 AM »
Possession • Cloak

Ok!

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Fellowship: Exert bearer to place 2 Free Peoples cards from your discard pile beneath your draw deck.

Well done! I think the card could change after some playtests because I'm not sure if the players will use often this ability:
- at the beginning of the game, you have no interesting card in your discard pile
- at the end of the game, you will not draw the cards you put at the bottom of the draw deck.

Event • Fellowship
Discard X cards from hand to heal X [Dwarven] companions.

Ok! You are right only Free Peoples cards would make this card too complicated to use. Simple and effective ^^.

Event • Skirmish
Make a [Dwarven] character strength +2 and damage +1. You may attach a [Dwarven] follower from your support area to a companion (without paying its aid cost).

Similar to Eagles Are Coming in the Wizard Pack.

Event • Fellowship
Exert Gandalf and Thorin to reveal the top 10 cards of your draw deck. Take up to 2 [Dwarven] cards revealed into hand. Shuffle your draw deck.

I change it a bit, I think only Dwarves are concerned by this. The last part is better for the Shovel.

[2] Also A Took [Shire]
Event • Skirmish
Make Bilbo strength +3. If Bilbo wins this skirmish, you may take into hand a [Dwarven] card from your discard pile.

I think [Dwarven] card will be enough, in order to avoid the return of this event immediatly.

The Prancing Pony
Site 1
At the start of your fellowship phase, you may add [2] to take into hand a [Dwarven] or [Gandalf] event from your draw deck.

I change my mind, ok for [Dwarven] or [Gandalf] event.

As soon as you will give me some high-definition images, I will make these new cards ^^.

This pack will be Pack I : The Quest of Erebor Pack, all other packs have a letter :
Pack A : Bilbo Pack
Pack B : Dain Pack

Click on the link of the packs here: http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Boosters.html
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:22:47 AM by -Enola- »

November 05, 2015, 04:23:02 PM
Reply #281

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #281 on: November 05, 2015, 04:23:02 PM »
The Prancing Pony
I change my mind, ok for [Dwarven] or [Gandalf] event.
:up:
Ok!
:up:
Ok! You are right only Free Peoples cards would make this card too complicated to use. Simple and effective ^^.
Yes! And it relieves the Cloak from a heavy weight. :up:

[2] Also A Took [Shire]
Event • Skirmish
Make Bilbo strength +3. If Bilbo wins this skirmish, you may take into hand a [Dwarven] card from your discard pile.

I think [Dwarven] card will be enough, in order to avoid the return of this event immediatly.
Interesting. I like it. It loses the option to recover items (The One Ring, Sting...) but gives direct help to Dwarves, or to himself if you pull Noble Intentions. You can still discard a condition with Sting, by pulling a skirmish event to use at a fierce skirmish with Bilbo. Or directly pull Ancestral Knowledge and use it at next site. :up:

Well done! I think the card could change after some playtests because I'm not sure if the players will use often this ability:
- at the beginning of the game, you have no interesting card in your discard pile
- at the end of the game, you will not draw the cards you put at the bottom of the draw deck.
;D The Prancing Pony will provide at least 1 card to be in discard pile from the start. But yes, Orcrist and Sting will be much more important at site 2 most of the times.

And don't forget this is a strength +1 weapon, so its usefulness won't expire. We might even remove that "This weapon may be borne in addition to 1 other hand weapon" part and make it a normal 2-handed +2 strength weapon (but I prefer it to be a second weapon and give more prominence to Axes, Swords, Spears and Hammers). Another option is to make bearer strength +1 (to a total strength +2) if not bearing another weapon (that is, if wielding it with both hands):

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
"This weapon may be borne in addition to 1 other hand weapon; if not, bearer is strength +1." Or something similar...

Make a [Dwarven] character strength +2 and damage +1. You may attach a [Dwarven] follower from your support area to a companion (without paying its aid cost).

Similar to Eagles Are Coming in the Wizard Pack.
I think it's fine now :up:. You can bypass the aid cost of a Dwarf follower that way, like Bofur or Dori which are expensive. And brings some suprise factor. Nice!

Anyway, I've got an idea for another possibility:
Make a [Dwarven] character strength +2 and damage +1. You may attach a [Dwarven] follower in play to a companion (by paying its aid cost).

That way you can pay again the aid cost of a Dwarf follower to make him participte again in the fray. Bombur jumping to a 2nd fight, Bifur discarding 2 conditions in 2 fierce skirmishes, Dori saving 2 companions from overwhelming, heal 2 companions with Óin... But not for free.

Exert Gandalf and Thorin to reveal the top 10 cards of your draw deck. Take up to 2 [Dwarven] cards revealed into hand. Shuffle your draw deck.

I change it a bit, I think only Dwarves are concerned by this. The last part is better for the Shovel.
Yes, shuffling is better for the Shovel :up:. Now, it's true that only Dwarves and Gandalf will be concerned, but the resources employed will be Dwarven and Halfling:
THORIN: The Arkenstone lies half a world away, buried beneath the feet of a fire-breathing Dragon.
GANDALF: Yes, it does. Which is why we're going to need a burglar.

I think it's ok to not take [Gandalf] cards into hand (and thus play another copy of A Chance Meeting), but Bilbo's resources will be important to the Quest, lore-wise.

As soon as you will give me some high-definition images, I will make these new cards ^^.
I'm working on it!

This pack will be Pack I : The Quest of Erebor Pack, all other packs have a letter :
Pack A : Bilbo Pack
Pack B : Dain Pack

Click on the link of the packs here: http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Boosters.html
Cool! After posting card ideas for other Thematic packs, you told me I could make other 22-cards supplementary packs. So we can make packs II, III, IV... with other themes like "the Battle of Azanulbizar", "The Siege of Erebor" (Dwarves vs Elves+Men and assaulting Orcs), "The Battle of the Five Armies", "The Battle of Dol Guldur", "The Battle Under the Mountain" or "Battle at the Forges" (Smaug vs the Company)...

November 06, 2015, 01:46:55 AM
Reply #282

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2015, 01:46:55 AM »
I don't like a more complicated strength bonus. But if the fellowship ability is not strong enough, we can change it for

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Fellowship: Exert bearer to place a [Dwarven] artifact from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.

I don't know if it's better.

Event • Fellowship

In this multicultural pack, non-[Dwarven] cards must focus on [Dwarven] cards. Gandalf and Bilbo "work" for the Dwarves.
I think this [Gandalf] event is strong enough like that.

Event • Skirmish

I prefer a much more planned way. If you already transfer Bombur, you didn't plan to transfer him again to counter an unpredictable threat.

Cool! After posting card ideas for other Thematic packs, you told me I could make other 22-cards supplementary packs. So we can make packs II, III, IV... with other themes like "the Battle of Azanulbizar", "The Siege of Erebor" (Dwarves vs Elves+Men and assaulting Orcs), "The Battle of the Five Armies", "The Battle of Dol Guldur", "The Battle Under the Mountain" or "Battle at the Forges" (Smaug vs the Company)...

This pack will be the pack I, but the next one will be pack J, then K,L ..... You can make a lot of packs by respecting the structure of the previous packs (3x3 FP cards + 2x3 FP cards + 3x Shadow card + 2x Shadow card + 2 x site = 22 cards).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:54:30 AM by -Enola- »

November 06, 2015, 05:26:28 PM
Reply #283

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #283 on: November 06, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
I don't like a more complicated strength bonus. But if the fellowship ability is not strong enough, we can change it for

Fellowship: Exert bearer to place a [Dwarven] artifact from your discard pile on top of your draw deck.

I don't know if it's better.
I think the current Shovel is ok and won't have any problem. It's a Hand Axe that allows you to return cards to draw deck. This pack will discard a huge lot of cards more than the others (Thirst and Cloak) except perhaps for The Master in Esgaroth pack, so retuning any FP card is key. I believe this one should have 3 copies instead of 2 to make it more present. Site 2 should be grabbing you Sting or Orcrist as usual.

But you can be right, and in that case your idea of returning artifacts won't be overpowered, as far as we don't include a method to draw with ease during the fellowship phase. Anyway, I think returning any FP card will be key for this "cycling pack".

In this multicultural pack, non-[Dwarven] cards must focus on [Dwarven] cards. Gandalf and Bilbo "work" for the Dwarves. I think this [Gandalf] event is strong enough like that.
Agree, it's very powerful as it is. And I like your "all serve the Dwarves" concept. :up:

I prefer a much more planned way. If you already transfer Bombur, you didn't plan to transfer him again to counter an unpredictable threat.
The idea is not to use Bombur to counter an unpredicted threat, but to use Bombur's str +2 dmg+1 bonus twice. You can plan to use a Dwarf follower's text and bonus twice, and reap the benefits. Bombur to clear the board, Bifur to discard 2 conditions, Óin to heal 2 wounds. But I agree that would allow to respond to unexpected emergencies, by healing a wound or preventing a defeat, a wound or an overwhelm.

This pack will be the pack I, but the next one will be pack J, then K,L ..... You can make a lot of packs by respecting the structure of the previous packs (3x3 FP cards + 2x3 FP cards + 3x Shadow card + 2x Shadow card + 2 x site = 22 cards).
Hahaha, I'm sorry my friend, I thought you meant the Roman number I, instead of the 9th letter of our western alphabet. I'd feel more ashamed if it didn't make me laugh so much!

November 06, 2015, 06:47:01 PM
Reply #284

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »
Nazguls

As a general review, I think something to heal Nazguls might be useful. Tthey exert a lot and then are easy to kill, and 3 of them can be blocked before acting by wounding them once or twice: Cantea, Lemenya and Nertea. Their high cost, high site number and small card presence might cause them troubles; you added a site number reduction, but I believe it might be not enough without a cost reduction (here minions are much cheaper than in LOTR TCG).

He Is Summoning His Servants probably needs a built-in protection because only 2 cards will protect it (and only 1 of them is strong), something like "Response: If this condition is about to be discarded by the Free Peoples player", pay X cost "to prevent that", which can be "exert 2 Nazgul", "remove a doubt", "heal an ally twice", etc. Or some skill to replay it, built-in (like If He Losses or Dissension) or in Dol Guldur Blade.

- The Witch King, Attea and Toldea: They have the same specific skills, and as such we agree totally as previously. :up: But they have room for a small addition, and I think that given the high cost of these 3, and the high site number of all Nazguls, something like "Each Nazgul is twilight cost -1" might be necessary.

Nazguls in LOTR TCG must hit hard and soon, at the late game are much weaker (they can't really depend on Otsea, Lemenya and Nertea to hit soon). The 3 Trolls provide such reduction, and much of this pack is based on them. I think the Witch King, Attea and Toldea might have a similar text, but reducing only 1 twilight: "Each Nazgul is twilight cost -1."

- Ostea, Lemenya & Nertea: "The site number of each Nazgul is -3". This addition seems fine. But I believe it's not enough to counter their high site number, because it's not too probable that you'll play one of these before site 5.

- Cantea: Powerful to keep your conditions, but has some problems. It's the same goal of Bert the Troll, but there's a considerable difference: Bert doesn't rely on his vitality (and has more), while Cantea and Nertea can be blocked by exhausting them. That's really important if we consider Bifur can discard conditions after fierce skirmishes finished. Nertea can be blocked by a simple directed arrow or losing to a guy with no damage bonus, while Cantea can be blocked by Thorin or Dwalin (worse if bearing Bifur).

- Nertea: This can frighten the FP player from discarding your conditions, but a simple directed arrow removes such threat. Or a skirmish wound, if the condition removal is after maneuver (Sting, Bifur or An Accorn).

- Enquea: "Each time" is better than "Response:" for powerful counters. :up:
- Nelya: Powerful follower counter :up:.
- Otsea: I like this guy's skill. :up: More cards means more Orcs to trigger skills. A possible problem of the drawing skill, although unlikely, is that you can draw a Nazgul with Otsea's skill and if that happens you won't have it in your deck or discard pile to play it with Dol Guldur Blade. That can be solved by adding this at the end: You can discard those cards.
- Lemenya: Powerful, but can be countered by Kili or Buring Fir Cones. :up:

I owe you the revision about He Is Summoning His Servants and Dol Guldur Blade. I must shut down the computer soon, I have ideas but no time right now to write them.