LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Next Updates for the Hobbit Draft Game  (Read 271175 times)

October 09, 2016, 05:48:08 AM
Reply #450

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
Re: Next Updates for the Hobbit Draft Game
« Reply #450 on: October 09, 2016, 05:48:08 AM »
A lot of time... I think I won't be using again in a good time the word "soon". :( Almost 2 weeks...  ](*,)

Had health problems and a more persistent mind fog. But I also wasted too much time in leagued Gemp games, and spent some time in lesser matters like the Wiki articles. I'm sorry for that... :-S

I prefer not having Thranduil as a minion if he is an ally on the board at the same time.
Gollum and Smeagol can be both present at the same time (but can have interactions). In some DCs, [Isengard] Saruman has a FP counterpart, [Gandalf] Curunir, and both can coexist. I don't see the problem of having a FP Thranduil and a Shadow Elvenking.

The sentence "add a [Mirkwood] token here for each [Elven] ally or other [Mirkwood] condition you spot" seems a bit long, moreover the most frequent [Elven] ally will be Elrond, the others will be rare.
That can be added or not. But the idea to add it was to increase the interaction with the [Elven] support, portraying the distrust and old grudge between them and Dwarves. Also, "Evil Elves" should have more and longer tentacles to interrupt the Dwarves if there's also "Good Elves" helping them, I think.

I'll be working per parts, this is the turn of Sauron shadow:

Shadow Sauron Swarm

I like the concept of the culture. I got only these 2 things to say:

1.- Requires more cultural (or even racial) specificity, it's too easy to splash them in other cultures. And some cards are too powerful.
2.- This is less important, but might (just might) be better to have this Shadow in a 4th Swarm pack and have instead Warg minions accompaning the Goblin-town pack. I firmly believe that people will want to have at some point the chance to play with Wargs as self-guided cruel beings (instead of mere mastered vehicles). I got a prototype of a Gundabad Warg minion subculture, which can replace this here. Or be left for a 4th Swarm/Beatdown pack, I have no problems with that. But if we ask in the forum or in Gemp if people wants or not to have Warg minions, the answer will be a big YES (perhaps in total unison).

That said, here's the detailed analysis:

- Orc Ambusher & Orc Sentinel: Seem fair. The antagonistic costs between both seems really cool. Drawing cards is always good to Swarm shadows. :up: A last thing: instead of "Orc" Ambusher/Sentinel, these minions might be renamed "Dol Guldur" Ambusher/Sentinel.

- Malevolent Orc: Seems fine. Is splashable on almost any other culture, but only packing many copies (and thus centering a part of the deck around them) you can reach the full effect. And the twilight cost makes expensive those otherwise easy swarms. :up:

- Rise of the Necromancer: Seems great! But I'd reword it a bit, to avoid confusion on players unexperienced with the LOTR TCG (or merely with Dead Marshes ;)): "Play up to 2 other [Sauron] conditions from your discard pile..." :up:

- Hidden: I like the idea, but seems REALLY unbalanced. First, the skill in parenthesis is too powerful by itself, and its trigger/cost is really low for 2 wounds (and these Orcs will be facing vitality 3 Dwarves!). Second, has no limit per bearer, so you can play 2 on Watchful Orc (to wound any companion in its path 4 times!). Third, has no cultural requirement at all (no "plays on a [Sauron] Orc" or "to play, spot a [Sauron] Orc"), so it's totally costless to splash it in ANY other deck based on (or with a heavy use of) Orcs. Fourth, grinds too easily (which is even worse when accompanied by an Archery shadow; Orcs also!). Fifth, it's too easy to replay with that twilight cost and the other conditions of this pack...

So I'd make another version, like this:

(2) Hidden [Sauron]
Condition
Strength +2
To play, spot a [Sauron] minion.
Plays on an Orc (or Sauron). Limit 1 per bearer.
Skirmish: If bearer is a [Sauron] Orc, exert it and discard this condition to wound a character it is skirmishing.

Has a limit per bearer, removes the parenthesis, costs [2] and requires to spot a [Sauron] minion to play it (much harder to splash in other decks). And you're now forced to play it on [Sauron] Orcs to get the direct-wounding skill, which here all have 2 vitality, that provides the FP player a way to control the skill by exhausting bearer (unlike FOTR and TTT formats, there's no 4x Elven Bow or Rider's Mount here to keep them easily exhausted). Can be borne by non- [Sauron] Orcs, and thus they must get a benefit too, so a strength +2 bonus is added. That's good for [Sauron] too, because all [Sauron] Orcs here are weak so such strength bonus will be welcome. And will make the FP player can counter only 1 part of the condition when exhausting them with Orcrist / Kili / Battle of Azanulbizar.

Can be also borne by Sauron himself (players will want to have a strength bonus on Sauron, str 13 will be too low in constructed). But given Sauron's natural cost, +2 twilight increases a lot the cost of a 2 (or 3) cards combo (Sauron is 5 or 7, this is 2 or 4, his Ring is 0 or 2 = total 7 to 13; little twilight left to also give him damage).

Having cultural requirements, this version will give an advantage to the [Sauron] versions of Azog and Bolg (over their Gundabad and Moria counterparts, which have access to culture-specific Wargs/Bows/pumps, wound prevention and lower site number).

- Dark Sorcery: I like the idea, but believe this should be more specific in culture or race. "Any minion" + "any Shadow culture" allows to exert Trolls or Nazguls to get their conditions, or even the Great Goblin's Power (this one is dangerous, because the Troll Knives / Dol Guldur Blades will be twilight machines!). I think getting back ANY condition is totally fine, but should exert Orcs only, to force other races to spend some deck room (and twilight) in Main deck Orcs.

Keep in mind that with 1 copy in play, you can play all others you have in discard pile in a row. The cost would be 2 exertions and [4]. That can make this condition machinery really hard to counter, so perhaps the cost of either the replay skill or the condition should be higher.

As said above, I'll be trying to have all other reviews posted in the coming days. I'll be posting the Warg minions prototype too, but now still has some loose ends to tie up...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:13:06 AM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

October 09, 2016, 06:51:49 AM
Reply #451

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #451 on: October 09, 2016, 06:51:49 AM »
I hope everything will be fine soon for you and your health.

With Anscestral Feuds, there are some interactions with the Elven allies from the pack. I know it's not enough but it will be hard to put more cards now in this Mirkwood pack.

Ok why not for a Shadow Thranduil, as "Elvenking" ? Maybe the Mirkwood Shadow can be a corrupt Shadow at 15 cards and the Stone Giants at 10 cards?

At the moment, I don't think there will be a 4th Swarm Pack, the 2nd Swarm Pack took 2 years to be released :(.

[1] Orc Ambusher [Sauron]
Minion. Orc.
Strength 5. Vitality 2. Site 5.
The site number of each Orc is -1.
When you play this minion, you may discard a Shadow condition to draw 2 cards.

[1] Orc Sentinel [Sauron]
Minion. Orc.
Strength 5. Vitality 2. Site 5.
The site number of each Orc is -1.
When you play this minion, you may spot 4 Shadow conditions to draw 2 cards.

Not sure if I will get enough good quality images of Orcs from Dol Guldur. I will keep "Orc" at the moment.

[3] Malevolent Orc [Sauron]
Minion. Orc.
Strength 7. Vitality 2. Site 5.
When you play this minion, you may remove (1) to play an Orc or a [Wraith] minion from your discard pile.

Same card as Old Tomnoddy.

3x [1] Hidden [Sauron]
Condition.
Bearer must be an Orc. Limit 1 per bearer.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to wound a character he is skirmishing. Discard this condition.

I simplify it a lot (no Sauron at the moment, we will maybe change it after tests). I hope it's better now.

3x [3] •Rise of the Necromancer [Sauron]
Condition • Support Area
Each [Sauron] minion is strength +1.
Shadow: Play up to 2 [Sauron] conditions from your discard pile. Discard this condition.

Since the condition is unique (as Dead Marshes) and the discard is after the effect, "other" is not necessary at all.

3x [2] •Dark Sorcery [Sauron]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a [Sauron] card.
At the start of the maneuver phase, you may exert an Orc to play a Shadow condition from your discard pile.

It's unique now. It will prevent abuse. Now, only Orcs can use the effect.

Thanks to Phallen, the Hobbit will be on gemp soon (today or the next days).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:02:19 PM by -Enola- »
Hobbit Draft Game : http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr

October 12, 2016, 05:06:30 PM
Reply #452

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #452 on: October 12, 2016, 05:06:30 PM »
I hope everything will be fine soon for you and your health.
Thank you my friend for your concern and good wishes. The same I wish, but by now the only thing I can do is learn and grow, forced by the discomfort and difficulties of life. Doesn't seem so bad if we look it that way. Fortunately these things will pass, while the inner growth will remain. :)

Thanks to Phallen, the Hobbit will be on gemp soon (today or the next days).
I'm really glad to hear that!  =D> =D> =D>

At the moment, I don't think there will be a 4th Swarm Pack, the 2nd Swarm Pack took 2 years to be released :(.
Some months ago you didn't even want a Swarm pack 3 (and that's exactly our current business). There are other priorities now, but after finishing all important tasks you'll probably want Warg minions too ;).

Besides, good part of those 2 years were due to real life playtesting; although that cannot be fully replaced, having the cards on Gemp will make it way shorter.

- Rise of the Necromancer: Oh yes, I said a totally foolish thing!

- Malevolent Orc: For the modest sum of 35 twilight, you can pull 4x of both in a row from discard (in a constructed format). Not OP at all! :up:

- Orc Ambusher & Orc Sentinel: In the 2nd film there's pictures of other Orcs when Azog attacks Gandalf. For instance, when Azog assaults Gandalf, there's a row of Orcs close behind him. Maybe those pics are enough.

(It's interesting that this scene is different in the Theatrical and the Extended Editions: in the first Gandalf lifts the concealment spell with a spherical light wave, which is crossed by Azog when he leaps to attack the wizard; in the latter Gandalf and Thráin are merely ambushed by Azog. Gandalf's Hat is also present in the first but not the latter.)

- Dark Sorcery: Ok for the race restriction. But maybe it's not good to make it unique. The culture relies on conditions, and Hidden must be replayed often in order to be truly useful. Perhaps the replay cost should be higher, like "exert an Orc and discard 2 cards from hand" or "exert an Orc and discard a Shadow card from hand"; that way the drawing effect of the Ambusher / Sentinel will be more important (and this condition will be harder to abuse with other cultures). If Dark Sorcery remains unique, along with Rise of the Necromancer will be playing 2x Hidden from discard in each site. That may be not enough (or too frail).

- Hidden: Seems much better. But should give strength +1 at least. These Orcs are too weak to face the great FP great warriors: Thorin, Gandalf, Balin, Dwalin, even Glóin (if backed by Fili). [Dwarven] Followers will be tough too: Ori, Óin and Bofur will simply rock. Add [Dwarven] weapons to the mix, and these small Orcs often will be mere mosquitos, being this condition's wounding skill their only sting to cause some harm.

Due to that, [Sauron] Orcs'll need more strength. With a str addition, you can try to wound by strength and it that fails, use the skill (important for stopping power, can keep Orcs with more strength and vitality). If swarming a companion, their total base strength will be often enough to deal 1 wound, so you can deal another one with the condition.

[1] Hidden [Sauron]
Condition
Strength +1
Plays on an Orc. Limit 1 per bearer.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to wound a character he is skirmishing. Discard this condition.

"Plays on" is shorter than "Bearer must be" (then all should fit into 1 line only).

Might be strength +2 and cost [2] instead (possibly better, these Orcs cost very little). Or strength +2 and cost [1], if restricted to [Sauron] Orcs only (are much weaker than Gundabad or Moria Orcs). If Sauron is included as bearer, the direct wound skill can be too much in his hands, so the skill might be restricted to "if bearer is an Orc" only. Then it'd be a mere str +2 pump for Sauron, but that's a thing he lacks by now (and he surely was hiding!).

Another option is to make Rise of the Necromancer give strength +2 instead.

I'll (try to) be writing in the next days, about the evil Elvenking and the Stone Giants.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:41:50 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

October 13, 2016, 10:47:07 AM
Reply #453

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #453 on: October 13, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »
Sure, with the Hobbit on gemp it could be simpler, or maybe not.... because each time the cards will be changed, the programmer needs to change the cards. There will be only few accurate updates.

- Malevolent Orc: The swarm pack 1 and swarm pack 3 cannot be in the same game, even on gemp, there will be a third constructed format.

- Orc Ambusher & Orc Sentinel: Yes, I saw it at 2:10:22. But I think the pictures of these Orcs will not be in a good quality, there are maybe too dark.

- Dark Sorcery: You are right about all the synergies and the balance of this card, it's probably better now:

3x [2] •Dark Sorcery [Sauron]
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Exert an Orc and discard 2 cards from hand to play a condition from your discard pile.

- Hidden: Decipher changes the way the conditions on bearer are phrased (before TTT: "Plays on", and after ROTK: "Bearer must be"). Since it's "Plays on" for the Arkenstone, I will change it that way:

3x [1] Hidden [Sauron]
Condition.
Plays an Orc. Limit 1 per bearer.

The strength bonus will come after tests if needed.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:49:23 AM by -Enola- »

October 14, 2016, 12:50:27 PM
Reply #454

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #454 on: October 14, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
Sure, with the Hobbit on gemp it could be simpler, or maybe not.... because each time the cards will be changed, the programmer needs to change the cards. There will be only few accurate updates.
You may be right, but still won't take 2 years...

You started the Hobbit Draft Game thread here on October 22, 2014 (I joined you on Novemeber 8). And the Clouds Burst was released in August 29, 2016. But during those 22 months, not only the extension cards were created, but also many cards of the Shadow packs, Main deck and sites were changed in the Basic Set (Balin was str 5, Bolg and Azog were str 10, spiders had web conditions, [Dwarven] followers had different aid costs, The Eagles Are Coming...). Finally, the basic set was released around March 19, 2015. Then the Extension set took 17 months actually.

Talking about Extension sets, there were some ideas that you considered interesting but were left behind while developing, which might be incorporated (or not) in this new Extension:

- Allies played to the Dead pile: Thrór, Girion, Old Took...
- Cards that mimick sites: Lobelia for site 1, some Shadow condition, an item for Thorin to work on other sites, perhaps a "Musical Elf" for site 3...

Tell me if you want to consider including them in the new Extension.

[Sauron] Sauron Swarm Shadow:

- Orc Ambusher and Orc Sentinel: Yes, those are very dark. There are other pictures you might consider: when the Company runs towards Beorn's House (and the wargriders chase them), later when Azog's wargriders wait outside and Bolg irrupts, or even when Azog calls Bolg to replace him in the hunt. Only the latter occurs at Dol Guldur.

- Dark Sorcery: The new version is more powerful replaying conditions, but is also much more fragile. The previous version acted before the FP player could use maneuver actions, but Ancestral Knowledge can hit this before it does anything. If it wasn't unique, that'd be less perilous. Anyway, if changed to non-unique, multiple copies won't stack because only has a special ability.

- Hidden: Ok for the strength bonus only after playtesting.

About the wording, I wonder if cards like Strange-looking Men can transfer a condition with the "Plays on" wording. That'd be perhaps the only gameplay difference between "Plays on" and "Bearer must be". But here has no importance at all.

Ok why not for a Shadow Thranduil, as "Elvenking" ? Maybe the Mirkwood Shadow can be a corrupt Shadow at 15 cards and the Stone Giants at 10 cards?
Interesting idea. The Giants have less time in film and book than Mirkwood Elves, so makes sense. I like the idea, but must be done the right way because the Giants have problems having 15 cards, which logically won't improve inertially if reduced to 10. So before a detailed analysis of the Mirkwood Elves, I'll be analyzing the Stone Giants shadow.

[Moria] Stone Giants Shadow:

The culture has 2 key problems (at least I found those): 1) indirect and complicated replay, and 2) a critical lack of card room. Either with 10 or 15 cards, those problems must be solved (much more importantly with only 10).

1.- Indirect and complicated replay: Being a Draft Game, minions have few copies and then require strong replaying methods. Other cultures play directly from deck or discard pile (Danger Wrapped in Shadows, Better Than Nothing, Troll Campfire...), but these Giants can't be played from discard; only can be played from deck by Fimbul, and then be reshuffled by Stone Returns to Earth (to be subsequently played by Fimbul, if not drawn). That messy combo relies on an event (a card that won't stay for later use). Better Than Nothing is too an event, but doesn't force you to play/discard Fimbul, or wait until you draw the minion again.

With 5 cards less, we need to cut some support resources. I like Stone Return to Earth's concept of shuffling minions back, but must be now as a built-in skill (in each Giant): "Regroup: Shuffle this minion from play into your draw deck." (2 lines) That provides the Shadow player a powerful choice: you can choose to keep a Giant on the board for stopping power, or shuffle it to play later. In the book/film the Company stops at the Front Porch due to the Giants, so that stopping power can have a strong flavor.

The skill can have requirements or costs added (if you don't like it being free), but must be short like "remove a doubt", "discard 2 cards from hand" or "Shuffle an unexhausted Giant" to keep it in 2 lines. By removing the event, there are 3 cards left in the pack: exactly the number that Sauron or Gollum have (the other 10 card packs). It's that important.

2.- Critical lack of card room: 2 sentences in the Giants use 2 lines each ("At a mountain site" and "This minion may not"). That leaves 3 lines only for the minion's main skill. But currently those are complex archery skills that use 4+ lines. 8 total lines! So we need to reduce the length of all those texts. Moreover if we are going to add a built-in mechanism to shuffle them back (2 lines more).

The first sentence can be reduced to 1 line: "Discard this minion if not at a mountain" (Balrog-wise), obviously with a lower fixed cost (then their dependance on Watchful Orc will be a bit higher). The same with the second sentence: "Cannot be assigned to skirmishes" (by removing the subject, leaving the predicate only; anyway the previous sentence refers to "this minion"). Still, the archery skills use 4 lines. So to include the Regroup skill (and free the slots used by events), we must free another line. But how?

The archery skills have complicated random discarding mechanisms. I like those mechanisms, but are too long for these Giants to hold. Perhaps may be moved to the Boulder Rock possession, and have these Giants with shorter archery skills (3-lines or less). Maybe they can work with "wound this and another minion" or "exert this minion and discard a Shadow condition".

Here are 2 prototypes. They use all 7 card lines (like most Decipher versions of Saruman). Both have very low cost, because will require Watchful Orc in most sites before 7. And often Fimbul too...

[4] Granit Giant [Moria]
Minion • Giant
Strength 12  Vitality 4  Site 4
Discard this minion if not at a mountain.
Cannot be assigned to skirmishes.
Archery: Wound this and another minion to make the minion archery total +1 (limit +3).
Regroup: Shuffle this minion from play into your draw deck.

Vitality 4, but limit +3 only. Needs other minions in play, like Orcs or other Giants. Since it wounds itself (and another guy), the need of making "the fellowship archery total + anything" is removed.

[5] Lavastone Giant [Moria]
Minion • Giant
Strength 16  Vitality 4  Site 4
Archery: Exert this minion and discard a Shadow condition to make the minion archery total +2 (limit +4).

Vitality 4. Can exert 3 times, but only 2 are useful; the remaining vitality can be used by Granit Giant. Adds 2 to the archery per use, since replaying conditions is much harder (and are easier to discard than minions).

Then the Boulder Rock can discard cards at random/bottom-of-deck, perhaps to heal bearer and/or replay conditions. Or to shuffle Moria or Gundabad cards from discard into the deck (those are the fuel of the Giants). Even can be 2x and 2x of different possessions (and each Giant 3x): Boulder Rock and Overhanging Rock. One healing bearer, the other shuffling back cards of those cultures; one discarding from hand, the other from deck....

Hope this helps. This used all my brain power, so didn't work yet in the Mirkwood Elves (lead by the proud and merciless Elvenking) pack. That will have to wait a bit more.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:48:58 PM by Durin's Heir »

October 15, 2016, 08:56:03 AM
Reply #455

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #455 on: October 15, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »
You started the Hobbit Draft Game thread here on October 22, 2014 (I joined you on Novemeber 8). And the Clouds Burst was released in August 29, 2016. But during those 22 months, not only the extension cards were created, but also many cards of the Shadow packs, Main deck and sites were changed in the Basic Set (Balin was str 5, Bolg and Azog were str 10, spiders had web conditions, [Dwarven] followers had different aid costs, The Eagles Are Coming...). Finally, the basic set was released around March 19, 2015. Then the Extension set took 17 months actually.

Yes, btw a lot of time ago ;). 39=31+8 pages of threads for nearly 2 members ^^, that's a lot of discussions ;).

Right, but printing the updated cards and cut them took me a lot of time (and money btw).

Talking about Extension sets, there were some ideas that you considered interesting but were left behind while developing, which might be incorporated (or not) in this new Extension:

- Allies played to the Dead pile: Thrór, Girion, Old Took...
- Cards that mimick sites: Lobelia for site 1, some Shadow condition, an item for Thorin to work on other sites, perhaps a "Musical Elf" for site 3...

Tell me if you want to consider including them in the new Extension.

Right, don't know yet about the Allies from the Dead Pile and the cards that mimick sites, it will depend on the needs of the whole game. Creating new mechanics is great, but I prefer to balance the game.

A "Musical Elf" could be in the Elrond Pack...

The next supplementary packs will be:
- The Travellers Pack
- Elrond Pack (for Vilya, Lindir, Rivendell Elves....)
- Balin Pack (he must be enhanced, as Ori)
- Blue Mountains Pack (the [Dwarven] followers need more cards to interact with them)

[Sauron] Sauron Swarm Shadow:

- Orc Ambusher and Orc Sentinel: Yes, those are very dark. There are other pictures you might consider: when the Company runs towards Beorn's House (and the wargriders chase them), later when Azog's wargriders wait outside and Bolg irrupts, or even when Azog calls Bolg to replace him in the hunt. Only the latter occurs at Dol Guldur.

- Dark Sorcery: The new version is more powerful replaying conditions, but is also much more fragile. The previous version acted before the FP player could use maneuver actions, but Ancestral Knowledge can hit this before it does anything. If it wasn't unique, that'd be less perilous. Anyway, if changed to non-unique, multiple copies won't stack because only has a special ability.

- Hidden: Ok for the strength bonus only after playtesting.

About the wording, I wonder if cards like Strange-looking Men can transfer a condition with the "Plays on" wording. That'd be perhaps the only gameplay difference between "Plays on" and "Bearer must be". But here has no importance at all.

Ok for a non-unique Dark Sorcery.

3x [2] Dark Sorcery [Sauron]
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Exert an Orc and discard 2 cards from hand to play a condition from your discard pile.

Interesting idea. The Giants have less time in film and book than Mirkwood Elves, so makes sense. I like the idea, but must be done the right way because the Giants have problems having 15 cards, which logically won't improve inertially if reduced to 10. So before a detailed analysis of the Mirkwood Elves, I'll be analyzing the Stone Giants shadow.

With less cards, I don't know if we will have enough cards to have an interesting Stone Giants shadow.

[Moria] Stone Giants Shadow:

The culture has 2 key problems (at least I found those): 1) indirect and complicated replay, and 2) a critical lack of card room. Either with 10 or 15 cards, those problems must be solved (much more importantly with only 10).

1.- Indirect and complicated replay: Being a Draft Game, minions have few copies and then require strong replaying methods. Other cultures play directly from deck or discard pile (Danger Wrapped in Shadows, Better Than Nothing, Troll Campfire...), but these Giants can't be played from discard; only can be played from deck by Fimbul, and then be reshuffled by Stone Returns to Earth (to be subsequently played by Fimbul, if not drawn). That messy combo relies on an event (a card that won't stay for later use). Better Than Nothing is too an event, but doesn't force you to play/discard Fimbul, or wait until you draw the minion again.

With 5 cards less, we need to cut some support resources. I like Stone Return to Earth's concept of shuffling minions back, but must be now as a built-in skill (in each Giant): "Regroup: Shuffle this minion from play into your draw deck." (2 lines) That provides the Shadow player a powerful choice: you can choose to keep a Giant on the board for stopping power, or shuffle it to play later. In the book/film the Company stops at the Front Porch due to the Giants, so that stopping power can have a strong flavor.

The skill can have requirements or costs added (if you don't like it being free), but must be short like "remove a doubt", "discard 2 cards from hand" or "Shuffle an unexhausted Giant" to keep it in 2 lines. By removing the event, there are 3 cards left in the pack: exactly the number that Sauron or Gollum have (the other 10 card packs). It's that important.

2.- Critical lack of card room: 2 sentences in the Giants use 2 lines each ("At a mountain site" and "This minion may not"). That leaves 3 lines only for the minion's main skill. But currently those are complex archery skills that use 4+ lines. 8 total lines! So we need to reduce the length of all those texts. Moreover if we are going to add a built-in mechanism to shuffle them back (2 lines more).

The first sentence can be reduced to 1 line: "Discard this minion if not at a mountain" (Balrog-wise), obviously with a lower fixed cost (then their dependance on Watchful Orc will be a bit higher). The same with the second sentence: "Cannot be assigned to skirmishes" (by removing the subject, leaving the predicate only; anyway the previous sentence refers to "this minion"). Still, the archery skills use 4 lines. So to include the Regroup skill (and free the slots used by events), we must free another line. But how?

The archery skills have complicated random discarding mechanisms. I like those mechanisms, but are too long for these Giants to hold. Perhaps may be moved to the Boulder Rock possession, and have these Giants with shorter archery skills (3-lines or less). Maybe they can work with "wound this and another minion" or "exert this minion and discard a Shadow condition".

Here are 2 prototypes. They use all 7 card lines (like most Decipher versions of Saruman). Both have very low cost, because will require Watchful Orc in most sites before 7. And often Fimbul too...

[4] Granit Giant [Moria]
Minion • Giant
Strength 12  Vitality 4  Site 4
Archery: Wound this and another minion to make the minion archery total +1 (limit +3).

Vitality 4, but limit +3 only. Needs other minions in play, like Orcs or other Giants. Since it wounds itself (and another guy), the need of making "the fellowship archery total + anything" is removed.

[5] Lavastone Giant [Moria]
Minion • Giant
Strength 16  Vitality 4  Site 4
Archery: Exert this minion and discard a Shadow condition to make the minion archery total +2 (limit +4).

Vitality 4. Can exert 3 times, but only 2 are useful; the remaining vitality can be used by Granit Giant. Adds 2 to the archery per use, since replaying conditions is much harder (and are easier to discard than minions).

Then the Boulder Rock can discard cards at random/bottom-of-deck, perhaps to heal bearer and/or replay conditions. Or to shuffle Moria or Gundabad cards from discard into the deck (those are the fuel of the Giants). Even can be 2x and 2x of different possessions (and each Giant 3x): Boulder Rock and Overhanging Rock. One healing bearer, the other shuffling back cards of those cultures; one discarding from hand, the other from deck....

Hope this helps. This used all my brain power, so didn't work yet in the Mirkwood Elves (lead by the proud and merciless Elvenking) pack. That will have to wait a bit more.

I think we must have only 3 different cards here (like Sauron and Gollum). We have to define the Stone Giants strategy first and its interactions with the main deck.

I made the first sentence of the minions simpler. Only 2 abilities, we have to be thrifty.

4x Granit Giant : Cost (5). [Moria] Minion. Giant. Strength 12. Vitality 4. Site 4.
Shadow: At a mountain site, place an Orc from play beneath your draw deck to play this minion from your discard pile.
Archery: Wound 2 minions to make the minion archery total +1 (limit +3).

3x Lavastone Giant : Cost (6). [Moria] Minion. Giant. Strength 14. Vitality 4. Site 4.
Shadow: At a mountain site, place an Orc from play beneath your draw deck to play this minion from your discard pile.

3x Boulder Rock: Cost (0). [Moria] Possession. Vitality +2.
Bearer must be a Troll or a [Moria] Giant.
Archery: Discard this possession to discard the bottom card of your draw deck. If it is a Shadow card, each the fellowship and minion archery totals are +2.

I update the first post.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:38:15 AM by -Enola- »

October 19, 2016, 08:46:01 AM
Reply #456

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
A lot of time indeed! Cutting cards for 16 players = 16* (45 + 70) = 1840! :o  I take my hat (and scalp) off to you and your scissors!

Ok to not include new mechanics now. Perhaps Elrond's pack can have a Musical Elf a la Hobbit Farmer: non-unique and copying the text of site 3. With a good site 3 to copy! ;)

The Blue Mountains and Balin pack will probably need to carry a shield possession (or something to prevent wounds). To counter the strong archery shadows of Swarm pack 3 and Beatdown pack 3.

Dark Sorcery seems right :up:.

I think we must have only 3 different cards here (like Sauron and Gollum). We have to define the Stone Giants strategy first and its interactions with the main deck.
Ok for only 3 cards. This is my prognosis of the Main deck interactions:

- Key cards: Fimbul's job will be getting the Giants into play (and discard) for [2]. Watchful Orc [4] will be necessary to replay them at any site from 2 to 6 (except Wooded Steep Cliff). Goblin Footman [3] will play Boulder Rock on a Giant (and will get beneath the deck to play another one).

- Fuel Orcs: Yazneg [1] is the cheapest, and Narzug and the Aggressor [2] are the second best options; Fimbul can even be used that way (7 9 cards). Those will be used for vitality and the replay cost. But the Giant's replay cost doesn't allow the spent Orc to be replayed from discard, so Yazneg's low cost will be useful only once (until Boulder Rock is used). This ends up adding to the cost and must not be forgotten.

- Conditions: Not At Home will be fuel for Lavastone Giant. But not Hatred Rekindled (before site 9), as it'll be too important to cycle and play Orcs. (So this culture will steal conditions from the Mirkwood and Corrupted Men packs.)

Smaug will be awesome with 1 or 2 Giants. He'll keep strong Dwarves busy so their overwhelming chances will increase. Granit Giant can wound him somewhat safely. If he has spare vitality at regroup, he'll be discarding shields and followers to erase all archery counters, for an unhindered final attack at site 9. (Btw, the packs in this Extension will need shields/wound prevention, as both the Beatdown and Swarm packs have strong archery shadows.)

So in region 1, this shadow won't do too much given the high cost. In region 2, they'll be somewhat slow but still harmful. In region 3, this shadow will be really powerful due to the natural mountains, the high Shadow number, and a little help from their friend Smaug.

I made the first sentence of the minions simpler.
I like the replaying cost a lot. It's easy to pay and understand, prevents swarms and feeds the Boulder Rock. But their twilight cost MUST be lowered. It's really critical. Look at all these cost additions:

- From deck, +2.
- From discard, +1 or +2 will be frequent (Yazneg and Aggressor).
- From discard at a non-mountain, +4 the total.
- With a replayed Boulder Rock, +3 (the remaining Footman allows to replay another Giant for +0).

So playing from discard 2 Giants + 1 Rock at site 5/6, will cost you... 18 twilight! For only 2 minions (no Orc to wound)! (Watchful Orc + Granit Giant + Goblin Footman + Boulder Rock + Lavastone Giant.)
At 7 to 9 = 15/16 twilight (Watchful Orc is replaced by Yazneg/Aggressor). Then will be really hard to play more than 1 Giant per site. So I'd reduce their twilight cost by 2. Then 18 becomes 14, and 15/16 turns into 11/12.

But that'll make their cost really low if played from hand/deck. I think this balances that problem: split the Shadow skill into 2 sentences, to make constant the "Orc-cost" (like the 3 Trolls).
- "To play, place an Orc from play beneath your draw deck."
- "Shadow: At a mountain site, play this minion from your discard pile."

Then their cost will be affordable in region 2. Granit Giant will be "[3] + an Orc" from hand or discard (+ [2] for Fimbul, if from draw deck); from discard will also require a natural mountain (or Watchful Orc + 4 twilight). Compare it to the 3 Trolls: "[5] + an Orc" the 1st, "[3] + an Orc" the 2nd, and "[1] + an Orc" the 3rd. The Trolls are fierce, can bear a Knife for strength and damage, can impair followers and condition control... and their site number is -2.

Only 2 abilities, we have to be thrifty.
Technically a "playing cost" is not an ability. Sauron's Hatred is easy to understand and similar to this proposal: 1 playing cost and 2 active skills.

- Granit Giant: Considering all that was said (-2 cost = [3])... seems good. :up:

- Lavastone Giant: By now, the only cards in the whole Beatdown Pack 3 which replay conditions are Gangsquad Spies (Alfrid's Influence) and Borders of the Forest. So this Giant will run out of fuel soon, and after that will mean only 2 things: vitality for Granit Giant to wound, and a strong skirmisher (like Goblin Patrol Troop).

The problem is that Main deck shadow conditions are valuable. Not At Home can be burned, but not Hatred Rekindled (before site 9). Besides, the FP player will try to erase your support area. So either the Giants will have to carry a skill to replay (or return to hand or deck) a shadow condition, or the Mirkwood and Corrupted Men packs will have to do the replaying task better with their own conditions.

- Boulder Rock: Vitality +2 seems too much (really perilous with Trolls). Moreover with a lack of "limit 1 per bearer" (or a class like ranged weapon). +1 will be better.

The skill gives +2 arrows or nothing (but is assured by the replaying cost). I think it should discard the bottom 2 cards, and give +1 only for each Shadow card discarded. That way, it'll have a better flavor of rocks bursting into pieces. Also, will be useful to get to discard pile the Orcs piled at the bottom of the deck, so can be replayed at the next Shadow phase.

(0) Boulder Rock [Moria]
Possession
Vitality +1
Bearer must be a Troll or a [Moria] Giant.
Archery: Discard this possession and the bottom 2 cards of your draw deck. For each Shadow card discarded, both the fellowship and minion archery totals are +1.
"...splintered into little bits with a bang."

With less cards, I don't know if we will have enough cards to have an interesting Stone Giants shadow.
All those interactions and potentials seem very interesting to me! :)

EDIT: Corrected some miswritings. The corrections are written in blue and underlined.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:15:26 PM by Durin's Heir »

October 19, 2016, 11:55:18 AM
Reply #457

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
Just spectating here - should Granit Giant be Granite Giant?

October 19, 2016, 02:55:59 PM
Reply #458

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #458 on: October 19, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »
Thank you for all your comments. I think Granite Giant needs to be at least cost (4) (he will probably win his skirmish).

A lot of time indeed! Cutting cards for 16 players = 16* (45 + 70) = 1840! :o  I take my hat (and scalp) off to you and your scissors!

Yes, all the playtests cost me a lot of time with these scissors :(. All the cards for 16 players are now printed in the same quality as LOTR TCG (with printerstudio).

Technically a "playing cost" is not an ability. Sauron's Hatred is easy to understand and similar to this proposal: 1 playing cost and 2 active skills.

Yes, but I meant to say 2 sentences then.

I made the card images of this new Shadow (I wanted to see them ^^).

http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Cards_Good_def/Granite_Giant.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Cards_Good_def/Lavastone_Giant.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Cards_Good_def/Boulder_Rock.png

I just realized that I didn't use the game text you propose for Boulder Rock, maybe later (there will be probably a lot of changes).

Just spectating here - should Granit Giant be Granite Giant?

Right! Thank you.

October 19, 2016, 10:24:21 PM
Reply #459

SHAAK

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #459 on: October 19, 2016, 10:24:21 PM »
Ok, I know I am wayyyyyy jumping the gun here. But seeing as it looks like the Hobbit will be put on Gemp at some point, I was wondering if there are any future plans to integrate these cards into a sort of "super-expanded" format. In other words, be able to use these cards with LotR cards together and create a new format. Sounds silly I know, but one can dream!

Also, what would it cost to have someone program that on gemp? Gemp could start a kickstarter to get someone to program the game.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:37:50 PM by SHAAK »

October 20, 2016, 06:35:16 AM
Reply #460

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #460 on: October 20, 2016, 06:35:16 AM »
@Phallen: That kind of meddling makes me glad! One of us speaks better french, the other spanish, so having help from native (or more experienced) english-speakers is sometimes invaluable. Deeply thanks for it, and for your efforts to code this into Gemp!

@SHAAK: Adding the Hobbit cards to Decipher's is a mad idea. The kind to which I'm fond ;). But I'm not the one to approve it, and it'd take a lot of effort and time to calculate implicancies, make X-list, playtest... We got a well-nourished task list to complete first, before considering demanding ideas like that. Anyway, you're not the first to say so, and will surely not be the last...  I'm not the one to deny it ;).

I like a lot the [Moria] Giants cards! The pics are well chosen, the text is well distributed among the card, they give a feeling of cold and rain.

- Granite Giant: The lore text needs suspension points and double quotation marks: "...the stone-giants were out...". Although I'd prefer this one instead (from the film): "This is no thunderstorm. It's a thunder-battle!" The Granite Giant's skill is meant to portray that kind of behavior ;).

- Lavastone Giant: Should cost less, [5] will be better. Otherwise will be often unplayable. 5 + the Orc's cost = 6+ will then be the real cost. From deck, +2 = 8+. Keep in mind that being able to play them from deck is really important, because they can appear much earlier; the sooner you play a Giant, the sooner you'll have it in discard as a replayable resource. Also, these Giants will work better with some Orcs accompanying them so they'll need spare twilight...

From discard (at region 2) = 5 + 4 for Watchful Orc = 9 twilight. 9 is a bit less than 10, but we know from bad experiences that expensive minions can be blocked by not having 1 measly twilight more (like the frustrating case of Flame of Udun vs "Aragorn + Gimli + Frodo" choke; NSttS + DotMR make The Bridge give [6] only).

I just realized that I didn't use the game text you propose for Boulder Rock, maybe later (there will be probably a lot of changes).
The game text is slightly different, but functionally is the same. :up: Perhaps you meant the lore text...

- Boulder Rock: I got nothing to change (well, maybe the lore text). But this says it can be borne by Trolls, and obviously there will be no Trolls in the Beatdown Pack 3. Swarm Pack 2 has the Demolition Troll, but that's viable only with real cards (Draft format). So in Gemp there will be no possible combination of this possession + a Troll...

Unless one of the new Supplementary packs contains a Troll. What about a "Catapult Troll"?

October 20, 2016, 07:04:59 AM
Reply #461

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #461 on: October 20, 2016, 07:04:59 AM »
@Shaak: Sure an expanded format will be great, but probably unbalanced. All Gandalf are really strong in the Hobbit format.

- Granite Giant: The lore text needs suspension points and double quotation marks: "...the stone-giants were out...". Although I'd prefer this one instead (from the film): "This is no thunderstorm. It's a thunder-battle!" The Granite Giant's skill is meant to portray that kind of behavior ;).

Ok for "This is no thunderstorm. It's a thunder-battle!".

- Lavastone Giant: Should cost less, [5] will be better. Otherwise will be often unplayable. 5 + the Orc's cost = 6+ will then be the real cost. From deck, +2 = 8+. Keep in mind that being able to play them from deck is really important, because they can appear much earlier; the sooner you play a Giant, the sooner you'll have it in discard as a replayable resource. Also, these Giants will work better with some Orcs accompanying them so they'll need spare twilight...

From discard (at region 2) = 5 + 4 for Watchful Orc = 9 twilight. 9 is a bit less than 10, but we know from bad experiences that expensive minions can be blocked by not having 1 measly twilight more (like the frustrating case of Flame of Udun vs "Aragorn + Gimli + Frodo" choke; NSttS + DotMR make The Bridge give [6] only).

Don't know yet, I think now that the bottom deck strategy should be only part of the [Men] Shadow. It will be weird to see [Men] Men and Stone-Giants working together.

Maybe "To play, discard a [Moria] card". There will be [Moria] cards in each Swarm Pack. And damage +1.

The game text is slightly different, but functionally is the same. :up: Perhaps you meant the lore text...

I didn't read what I wrote :(. Yes, it's about the lore text.

Unless one of the new Supplementary packs contains a Troll. What about a "Catapult Troll"?

We need more Trolls! For sure, the Blue Mountains Pack will contain one. Maybe also another one ? A "Catapult Troll" will be great :).

October 20, 2016, 08:34:52 PM
Reply #462

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2016, 08:34:52 PM »
I know this is a little far in advance, but I would like to see more companions available. Specifically, I think it would be interesting to make another copy of each Dwarf follower as a companion and the same number of Dwarf companions as followers. While all the different packs enable different free people's strategies, I feel like having some choices to make for companions would add a layer of tactics to the game. This would be especially true since one would have to pick between the follower's text and the companion's text, since they'd have the same name and substantially different functions.

While I understand that The Hobbit Trilogy picked favorites for which dwarves got the most screen time, I don't believe the book was quite so unfair :P

October 21, 2016, 12:17:12 AM
Reply #463

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #463 on: October 21, 2016, 12:17:12 AM »
I know this is a little far in advance, but I would like to see more companions available. Specifically, I think it would be interesting to make another copy of each Dwarf follower as a companion and the same number of Dwarf companions as followers. While all the different packs enable different free people's strategies, I feel like having some choices to make for companions would add a layer of tactics to the game. This would be especially true since one would have to pick between the follower's text and the companion's text, since they'd have the same name and substantially different functions.

While I understand that The Hobbit Trilogy picked favorites for which dwarves got the most screen time, I don't believe the book was quite so unfair :P

If we make more companions available, the problem will be where to put these new cards:
- In the main deck: it will be hard to balance. And there will be a lot of FP cards in the main deck: 30+13=43 FP cards vs 30 Shadow cards.
- In a new main deck: key companions (Balin, Kili, Fili, Dwalin,.... Thorin?) will be only followers and not companions.
- In the boosters: a different [Dwarven] companion could unbalanced the game a lot. This requires a lot of tests. I prefer to tell the players they have already all possible companions before the draft, it is more comfortable.

October 21, 2016, 06:04:50 AM
Reply #464

Floydos

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #464 on: October 21, 2016, 06:04:50 AM »
True that, Hobbit "DCG" is quite limited with the choice of companions and/or other characters. Which is quite sad, according that Enola´s great job.